IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, September 13th

Surfing 1 hour

Because I haven't done a full weight workout in a while, I was wrestling with the idea of legs or surfing today. But 2 bodyweight squats had me thinking it wasn't the day for the gym.

Made my way to the beach (after a pit stop at home to pack a second lunch of grilled chicken, quinoa, sugar snap peas and avocado) and was rewarded with uncrowded conditions and awesome waves. There was a bit of doubt, as there so often is, that the waves were actually going to be good. My first wave I got a snap into a big bottom turn into a blown snap. This would repeat itself a few times - do a maneuver, set up for my next one, not have enough speed. I've noticed the pro's can generate speed at the bottom of the wave by "pumping," but for whatever reason I seem to struggle unless I'm at the mid-face. Another time I took off deep, made it around the first section that was breaking and would go for a turn....I completed the turn in this situation, but felt like I could have used more speed - with the only option again being a "pump" at the bottom of the wave.

In any event, I caught a lot of waves, did a lot of good turns and had a fantastic time. Came in feeling exceptionally happy and grateful!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:24 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, September 15th

Visiting Philadelphia. My friend's wife had her fitbit and we knocked out just over 10 miles walking the city - exploring the Barnes Foundation, walking up the famous "Rocky" steps and basically just walking a shit ton. Ate a lot of greasy food, mostly good, some just heavy.

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Cable Internal Rotation 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 20

Chin-Ups x 7, 5, 4, 3
and
Alternating Leg Raises (with Ab and TVA activation) x 10 each, 8 each, 7 each

DB Bench 60's x 12, 10, 10, 8
and
Crunches (with Ab and TVA activation) x 20, 16, 13

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 10, 8, 8, 6
and
T-Bar Rows 45lbs x 15, 15, 15, 10

Side Planks (with Ab and TVA activation) x 30 seconds each x 4 sets

DB Lateral Raise 10's x 15 x 2 sets
and
Band Reverse Fly - Red x 15 x 2 sets

BB Curl 60lbs x 8, 7
and
BB Skull-Crusher 50lbs x 8, 8

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Monday, September 17th

Got up early to go look at the surf, but it looked pretty mediocre. Looked even worse after work - windy, hot, mixed up.

Meditation 19 minutes (focusing on the breath) + Compassion Meditation

Cable Reverse Fly (setting shoulders) 20lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, September 18th - Upper Body Push

For no reason other than vanity I'm switching my training program. I think what I've been doing has been very successful for catching lots of waves, surfing often and surfing well. I think my attempts to extend it longer have made me a little run down (like last workout increasing shoulders from 2 sets to 6 sets). One option is to reduce the volume to what I was doing before, keep it going and keep having fun surfing.

But I'd like to have a bit more muscle in my upper body, so I'm breaking the upper body day into two workouts.

If my surfing suffers, I plan to return to the previous approach.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 12, 8; 60's x 10, 8
and
DB Side Bend (with glute and tva contraction) 45lbs x 15, 15, 15; 40lbs x 15 each

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 10, 8, 10, 10
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 20, 12.5's x 12, 10's x 12, 10's x 12

Triceps Pushdown 50lbs x 10, 10, 8; 42.5lbs x 12

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 10lbs x 15 each, 7.5lbs x 15 each

Stretch Chest - Bent and Straight, Biceps, Triceps, Rear Delts, Wrists, Forearms, Glutes, Lying Twist

Notes: obliques felt great with the glute contraction - I could feel my entire core working, especially my obliques. On the first 2 sets of shoulder press I could keep my hips neutral and worked my core quite hard, but then my back fatigued.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, September 19th

Surfing 3 hours

Woke up with a huge gap today (clients out of town this morning), but even though early morning tends to be the best surf time due to lower winds, I felt that I should do errands. Washed dishes, wiped the counters down, took out the trash and picked up everything in my apartment. After 60-90 minutes of this I headed for the beach, thinking that Tourmaline would be the spot, but out of obligation I checked the local reefs between here and there. Everything was mixed up and funky, but Tourmaline was glassy and although sluggish looked like it had potential.

Proceeded to have a blast, the tide drained out as time went by and the waves became more and more consistent. I got a handful of fun ones including a mid-face rail burying bottom turn (unusual to turn this hard) and then the alarm for sunscreen sounded. I drifted along for awhile and finally made it back to the beach, but the moment the voice in my head said "more sunscreen" the moment I fell out of wave rhythm. Finally reapplied and then my surfing went up a notch: I got a nice hard turn that popped the fins out for a second, then right into another turn; a fun right to the beach and then it was just as many waves as I could catch for awhile.

My shoulders definitely felt sore, but strong sore. Like when you're in good bike riding shape and you can just keep sprinting. Once again the sunscreen call went out and my wave frequency faltered. Came in super happy and enjoyed an excellent prosciutto and fig sandwich from this new bakery.