IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:28 am

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, September 13th

Surfing 1 hour

Because I haven't done a full weight workout in a while, I was wrestling with the idea of legs or surfing today. But 2 bodyweight squats had me thinking it wasn't the day for the gym.

Made my way to the beach (after a pit stop at home to pack a second lunch of grilled chicken, quinoa, sugar snap peas and avocado) and was rewarded with uncrowded conditions and awesome waves. There was a bit of doubt, as there so often is, that the waves were actually going to be good. My first wave I got a snap into a big bottom turn into a blown snap. This would repeat itself a few times - do a maneuver, set up for my next one, not have enough speed. I've noticed the pro's can generate speed at the bottom of the wave by "pumping," but for whatever reason I seem to struggle unless I'm at the mid-face. Another time I took off deep, made it around the first section that was breaking and would go for a turn....I completed the turn in this situation, but felt like I could have used more speed - with the only option again being a "pump" at the bottom of the wave.

In any event, I caught a lot of waves, did a lot of good turns and had a fantastic time. Came in feeling exceptionally happy and grateful!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:24 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, September 15th

Visiting Philadelphia. My friend's wife had her fitbit and we knocked out just over 10 miles walking the city - exploring the Barnes Foundation, walking up the famous "Rocky" steps and basically just walking a shit ton. Ate a lot of greasy food, mostly good, some just heavy.

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Cable Internal Rotation 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 20

Chin-Ups x 7, 5, 4, 3
and
Alternating Leg Raises (with Ab and TVA activation) x 10 each, 8 each, 7 each

DB Bench 60's x 12, 10, 10, 8
and
Crunches (with Ab and TVA activation) x 20, 16, 13

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 10, 8, 8, 6
and
T-Bar Rows 45lbs x 15, 15, 15, 10

Side Planks (with Ab and TVA activation) x 30 seconds each x 4 sets

DB Lateral Raise 10's x 15 x 2 sets
and
Band Reverse Fly - Red x 15 x 2 sets

BB Curl 60lbs x 8, 7
and
BB Skull-Crusher 50lbs x 8, 8

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Monday, September 17th

Got up early to go look at the surf, but it looked pretty mediocre. Looked even worse after work - windy, hot, mixed up.

Meditation 19 minutes (focusing on the breath) + Compassion Meditation

Cable Reverse Fly (setting shoulders) 20lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, September 18th - Upper Body Push

For no reason other than vanity I'm switching my training program. I think what I've been doing has been very successful for catching lots of waves, surfing often and surfing well. I think my attempts to extend it longer have made me a little run down (like last workout increasing shoulders from 2 sets to 6 sets). One option is to reduce the volume to what I was doing before, keep it going and keep having fun surfing.

But I'd like to have a bit more muscle in my upper body, so I'm breaking the upper body day into two workouts.

If my surfing suffers, I plan to return to the previous approach.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 12, 8; 60's x 10, 8
and
DB Side Bend (with glute and tva contraction) 45lbs x 15, 15, 15; 40lbs x 15 each

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 10, 8, 10, 10
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 20, 12.5's x 12, 10's x 12, 10's x 12

Triceps Pushdown 50lbs x 10, 10, 8; 42.5lbs x 12

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 10lbs x 15 each, 7.5lbs x 15 each

Stretch Chest - Bent and Straight, Biceps, Triceps, Rear Delts, Wrists, Forearms, Glutes, Lying Twist

Notes: obliques felt great with the glute contraction - I could feel my entire core working, especially my obliques. On the first 2 sets of shoulder press I could keep my hips neutral and worked my core quite hard, but then my back fatigued.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, September 19th

Surfing 3 hours

Woke up with a huge gap today (clients out of town this morning), but even though early morning tends to be the best surf time due to lower winds, I felt that I should do errands. Washed dishes, wiped the counters down, took out the trash and picked up everything in my apartment. After 60-90 minutes of this I headed for the beach, thinking that Tourmaline would be the spot, but out of obligation I checked the local reefs between here and there. Everything was mixed up and funky, but Tourmaline was glassy and although sluggish looked like it had potential.

Proceeded to have a blast, the tide drained out as time went by and the waves became more and more consistent. I got a handful of fun ones including a mid-face rail burying bottom turn (unusual to turn this hard) and then the alarm for sunscreen sounded. I drifted along for awhile and finally made it back to the beach, but the moment the voice in my head said "more sunscreen" the moment I fell out of wave rhythm. Finally reapplied and then my surfing went up a notch: I got a nice hard turn that popped the fins out for a second, then right into another turn; a fun right to the beach and then it was just as many waves as I could catch for awhile.

My shoulders definitely felt sore, but strong sore. Like when you're in good bike riding shape and you can just keep sprinting. Once again the sunscreen call went out and my wave frequency faltered. Came in super happy and enjoyed an excellent prosciutto and fig sandwich from this new bakery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:53 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, September 20th

Fairly sore from the last 2 days. Stretched earlier and warmed-up for a back workout....did 1 chin-up and called it a day.

Surfing 1 hour

Only me and my buddy Brian were out (who's a much better surfer than me), just trading waves until dark. He found a rhythm quite quickly and got 2 or 3 waves with great shape that he was doing solid turns on. I kept picking waves that would shut down. But just as I started to think it wasn't my day, I got into a very fun one - a nice snap into a bottom turn into a carve. The key was a lot of speed though on that one wave. Rest of the session was fun, but just the one excellent wave. Had one wave where I could have done a good turn off the bat...had I not gotten hung up as I was trying to drop in. A little more effort on the paddle-in would have prevented this.

Also, felt that my stance was silly wide tonight. Maybe legs tomorrow...and no isometrics, as I have a suspicion that doing wall sits last workout has caused me to sit deeper into my turns.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, September 21st

Busy bee today, finished (hopefully) everything for my Dad's probate, trained a number of people and just had a chance to glance at the Ocean.

Wave after wave after wave rolling in, but I had committed to watching a documentary on single-use plastics. Fack. It was a surprisingly well-made film: short and didn't veer into preachy attitudes. Afterwards I was waiting for my friends to enroll in a Surfrider campaign, had nothing to do and decided to meditate vs. standing around in the parking lot.

The next morning, once again I was stuck with nothing to do and decided to meditate again - just focusing on each breath as much as I could.

Still stuck waiting around as I type this - the surf is quite good right now, but I am beholden to commitments.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, September 22nd - Upper Body

Finally free...after a large cup of coffee and a few puffs of weed...decided to switch back to the full upper body program, as opposed to the split I did last time....may give the upper push day, upper pull day another try next week though:

Some upper body and core stretches

Chin-Ups x 7, 7, 7, 6
and
DB Bench 60's x 12, 12, 10, 8

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 10 x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 15 x 2 sets; Cable Push-Downs 57.5lbs x 8 x 2 sets

Alternating Lying Leg Raises (contracting low abs) x 4 sets x 5-10 each side

DB Side Bends (contacting glutes and tva) 45lbs x 15, 15, 15, 11

Hanging Knee Raises (contracting low abs) x 4 sets x 5-8 reps

DB Twisting Curl 25's x 10 x 2 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly's 25lbs x 10, 20lbs x 10

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Hip Flexors, Lying Twists, Lats, Biceps, Triceps (tighter on L), Chest - Bent, Chest - Straight, Rear Delts, Abs

Notes - didn't contract TVA on abs, my ab strength is so damn stuck I'm just shuffling what muscles to focus on - nothing, tva, tva and abs, just abs today. Off to camp at the beach, rather a late departure, but felt good to get to the gym.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, September 23rd

Surfing 30-45 minutes

Got a handful of waves and one oddly good one with 3-4 turns on it.

Once again not contracting the transverse abs during rectus abdominis work seems to lead to me handling a surfboard much worse. I think I have an oddly mobile lumbar spine and I can rotate it into a posterior pelvic tilt l if I flex the abs hard enough, but this may be just as bad as having an anterior pelvic tilt for spinal health.

I'll try keeping my spine neutral with the transverse abs contracted the next time I train abdominals. This is a frustrating sticking point - each attempt I go for has some weakness, either my abs don't get stronger, or I don't surf well.

Would like both.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, September 24th - Upper Body

My obsessive compulsive side wanted to redo this workout, but merely changing the ab focus.

Chin-Ups x 10, 8, 8, 7
and
DB Bench 65's x 12, 12, 10, 8

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 12 x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 20 x 2 sets; Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 42.5lbs x 20, 50lbs x 15

BOSU Sit-Ups with Green Band (neutral spine and tva contraction) x 20, 15, 15, 15
and
Hanging Knee Raises (neutral spine and tva contraction) x 9, 6, 6, 5

DB Side Bends (neutral spine and tva contraction) 45lbs x 15 each x 4 sets
and
DB Twisting Curl 25's x 12 x 2 sets; Cable Reverse Fly's 2nd setting x 12 x 2 sets

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Hip Flexors, Lying Twists, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Chest - Bent, Chest - Straight, Rear Delts, Abs - Upward Dog, Abs - Wheel

Notes - interesting that my chin-ups improved so much (from 27 in 4 sets to 35). Bench, rows, arms and shoulders also improved. Workout felt great!

Surfing 30-45 minutes

A nice guy named Dustin paddled out a minute after I did, just the two of us. He caught all the good waves that came through tonight, I managed a few that got me close to shore, but nothing worth reporting. Happy to not get injured or worse, board is fine. Maybe training legs more recently would have given me a boost?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, September 25th

Was thinking that I went up on all my lifts yesterday except the upper back stabilizers - decided to do a couple sets today:

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Surfing 45-60 minutes

Hah, I think the rotator cuff was a terrible idea. I was so dramatically tired in my arms that I found it very hard to paddle. I slowly made myself out to the break and caught one wave that connected to the inside - but the rest of the time I was trying not to go headfirst into the very shallow, and at times exposed, reef. There were a few waves that I could have made had I not done the extra rotator cuff work today. At least I assume so because I was so oddly tired.

At one point, I went for a wave, saw that it was gonna lead me into the rocks and tried to back off. I got sucked over and onto the wave headed face first towards all sorts of unpleasantness- I crossed my arms and got drug and drug some more, somehow avoiding hitting anything.

My board got a couple nasty gashes in the nose from this. This board probably has close to 100$ in damage already, and this is around 50$ more - part of me wants to just toss it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, September 26th - Lower Body

Surf is really, really fun looking right now. Have a break in 70 minutes.

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Quads, Glutes, Groin - Bent, Groin - Straight, Hamstrings, Chest - Straight, Chest - Bent

Squats [7 blocks] 135lbs x 8, 8, 6, 5
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 15 x 4 sets

DB Lunges 20's x 15 each leg x 4 sets
and
DB Decline Shin Raises 30lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Cable Adduction 25lbs x 12, 20lbs x 12

Lying Hamstring Curls 90lbs x 8, 8, 8, 6
and
Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets, Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

45 Degree Lower Back Extensions +25lbs x 12, 12, 12, 8

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets

Repeat stretches, adding lying twist

Couple notes: loved this workout...lower back felt fatigued at the beginning, but fine after....assuming my ab form continues to be off....surf looked great on my 2 hour break and after work, but feel exhausted in upper body....I blame it on two days in a row of shoulder stabilizers (on top of a long upper body workout the first day)....hope this note reminds me not to do that again

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:17 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, September 27th

Legs are very sore from yesterday: quads, glutes, inner thigh....hamstrings and calves a bit too. I think I should have started yesterday's workout with the VMO exercise, otherwise I plan to keep it the same. Whole body tired, but I figured I'll need an extra day off legs before I do my next workout (a full-body one), so I am continuing my new approach to the shoulder stabilizers (workout 3 of a 4 workout rotation).

Cable Reverse Fly's [setting shoulders first] 15lbs x 20, 20lbs x 12, 15, 12

Stretch Rear Delts x 3 each

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Waves were outstanding at Windansea, at least the rights were. Glassy, great shape and just reeling down the line. I caught one wave, an inside left and managed a shaky turn before blowing the wave. I missed numerous waves that I thought someone might go left on, but didn't, so I backed off. Missed another wave where I was in position, but the only person anywhere around me had paddled deeper and I was worried I might cut them off....and my final good opportunity, I just didn't have the paddle speed.

I got back to my car feeling quite frustrated, then discovered I had locked my car key inside my car - along with my apartment key as well. So I walked home then had to break into my home. By the time I got some food in me, I was exhausted so I turned in for a good 9 hour sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, September 28th

My apartment has been in chaos, so even though the waves looked alright, I spent an hour getting everything more or less back to normal. By the time I got to the beach the waves looked much worse, but....

Surfing 1.5 hours

Got a ton of waves and felt that I surfed pretty good - snaps, carves, good linkage between maneuvers. I blew a wave because I didn't go deep enough into the white water on a cutback, then blew another wave because I went too deep into the white water. Haha, surfing is tough! But overall, very happy. Got a compliment from a cute girl I know on how many waves I caught.

----

As a side note, I've been slacking badly on my meditation. I've been teaching it 3 days a week, but not meditating with the group besides the compassion meditation at the end. I've become a lot more short tempered the past few weeks and felt my anger bubble up higher than it has in a long time.

----

Been wondering if my form for reverse flyes is idiotic, so I asked our highly skilled physical therapist what cues he uses for reverse flys. He said to simply extend the thoracic spine so that the line of low trap is recruited (or simply extend the thoracic spine). I asked him about the form I'd been using and he said "no, don't do that."

Even though I did these yesterday and my shoulders finally feel a bit back to normal, I was curious:

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 20 x 4 sets

A few reps on the final set felt perfect, shoulder blades moving in rhythm, but otherwise a bit off. I followed the form and got a good burn/pump in the mid-back, but my shoulder blades are definitely funky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, September 29th

If you ever decide to visit San Diego, the best time of year is September and October. The summer tourists leave, the water is warm, and the temperature drops to just about perfect.

Today was as good as you get of a perfect San Diego day: crystal clear water, gentle sunlight and hints of clouds dotting the horizon.

Surfing 1.75 hours

Surfed so dang good today! Right off the bat I caught a screamer, with numerous turns. The spot was full of homies: cute girls from different local businesses or that I know from surfing, long-time locals, my photo buddy Sheldon, a girl I know who just had a baby and hadn't surfed in months...So good vibes in the water and outstanding waves. Not all that big, 1-3 foot, but so much speed and such good shape. Got a tip from the local bigwig to hold my hands in a karate stance - "it'll cut down on your energy wasted, so that you have that energy when you need it." Spent the rest of the session working on this. Awkwardly at first, but finally my last wave it really clicked and I managed 3 turns - a snap, a carve and a cutback - with what felt like a beautiful synthesis of energy - just one arm movement per turn, the back arm cocked high and back between moves.

Came in full of gladness. Today's mantra "desire-less, gone, have fun, feel, connect, be present, flow, style." As long as it was, it oddly seemed to work okay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, September 30th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfed terrific the first hour, at right around the hour mark I needed more sunscreen (but didn't reapply) and started surfing very awkwardly - getting up at weird angles, unable to get my feet set properly. Probably a coincidence, but it has happened before. I'll take it as a cue next time to take a mental and physical break.

Surfing 2 hours

Surfed Black's Beach, it's a local spot, but also a world-renowned beach break. I've had almost exclusively shitty sessions at Black's for a few years now, but I used to go every Saturday and Sunday. Today the North peak was firing (evidently it's the only one that breaks on a steep South swell) - solid 5 foot left-breaking sets peeling across. My body was tired and as the saying goes "fatigue makes cowards of us all." I tried to pick off the last section (as it would shut down some of the time), and then I would throw myself in with the 100+ crowd trying to get a good one. Very difficult. Difficult to the degree where I questioned the time I've put into surfing, questioned whether I was pursuing a good path in my dedication. The board I had (a high volume twin-fin fish) was good for paddle speed, but a bitch to duck under the sets, and felt too slow to turn in the very fast conditions.

At the very end I managed two set waves, slightly smaller in size. But didn't do anything except haul ass and a little bit of a top-turn on one section.

Plan to make the long walk (20 minutes to the beach, 20 minutes back to the car) at least once a week going forwards, the wave is just too good to avoid. Oh, and just a heavenly sunset to end the day. God bless!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 1st

Surfing 1 hour

Surfing 30 minutes

Hurricane Rosa is bringing a good-sized South swell and I heard numerous spots today were lighting up. I surfed a more low-key hidden break, but heard Scripps and Pump House (two crowded breaks) were outstanding today.

Caught a lot of waves, paddled fast, but I didn’t surf that well. Struggled to do good turns, kept forgetting to keep my hands up for better turning, wasn’t going very deep on my bottom turns. And came in late for work both times.

But I had a bunch of fun!

——

Led a small meditation class today. Haven’t been inspired lately to meditate or to lead a class. I wanted to join up so that I could get back to it, but didn’t want to hog the time of others…the compromise was to somewhat meditate with the class.

First a recording was put on of ocean waves to add some white noise.

Then we started with posture, then 3 minutes of deep, slow breathing with a reminder once to relax and let go of any tension.

Then 10 minutes of repeating “forgiveness” silently on each breath in and each breath out.

During this, I included a few reminders to let go of any other thoughts, to breathe deep and corrected posture once.

Followed by metta.

The class did 2 minutes or so of savasana while I gathered pens and paper.

Had them wiggle the toes of each foot, the fingers of each hand, bring each knee to their chest and then gently make their way to a seated position.

Then everyone wrote down a few things that they were grateful for. When they were finished they sat their pens down and those who wanted to share, did.

——

My abs/lower back has felt so funky lately, not really when I’m doing anything except training abs or obliques.

On a quest to figure it out.

I asked a personal trainer his thoughts on pelvic/hip position and/or core activation and he took me through his PRI evaluation and protocol. PRI is a system, as best as I can tell, of teaching your body to breathe correctly.

He showed me a few things and did an evaluation of my passive hip mobility - said it was shitty and gave me more to do.

Will give it a try, but I also wanted to do some abs today. The first few sets I was flexing the core and drawing the TVA in, but that felt dumb….then I talked to another trainer about how she cues people, and she said she just focuses on sucking in the abs. So I did that and was mindful of my alignment: like on leg raises, if my back started to round I would cut the range-of-motion or difficulty…or on side bends I would try and keep my hips even.

Hanging Knee Raises x 10, 10, 6, 6
and
45 Degree Side Bends x 15, 15, 12, 10
and
Decline Leg Raises x 10-15 x 2 sets, Alternating Leg Raises x 5-10 each side

DB Standing External Rotation 7.5’s x 20 x 2 sets (worked a deeper ROM at bottom)

Tuesday, October 2nd

Feel tired.

Wednesday, October 3rd

Heard the surf was good earlier, but still resting.

Led a nearly identical meditation class, changing the 10 minute meditation to naming anything you think about besides the breath, then letting it go.

It was interesting how many times later on in the day that I caught myself thinking something negative. Thanks to the meditation I was able to nullify it pretty fast.
——

Decided to change my upper body program, even though it has been working. Decreased the amount of ab work, cut the internal rotation, changed the finish to rear delts and two external rotation exercises, and lastly increased external rotation range to as far as I can go.

Cable Reverse Fly’s 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 15

Chin-Ups x 8, 6, 6, 5
and
DB Bench 60’s x 12, 10, 8, 8
and
Alternating Leg Raises w/ TVA x 9 each, 7, 6, 5
Note: I think the tva contraction is good, but I should focus on better spinal alignment during the leg raises

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15, 15, 12, 12
and
DB Seated Arnold Press 35’s x 10, 8; Push-Downs 57.5lbs x 10, 6

45 Degree Side Plank w/ TVA x 1 minute x 4 sets
and
DB Curls 25’s x 15, 30’s x 10; DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 12, 5lbs x 15

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 12, 10

Stretch Upper and Core

——

Surfing 1 hour

Didn’t want to go. Had this weird feeling I would suck. And then I surfed very well! It was really glassy, waves had fun shape…not a ton of speed, but enough for sure to do some enjoyable turns.

At first my upper back was TIRED. I swung and totally missed on my first paddle, but my next try or two I got into the waves, and then the rest of the time I felt like was tired but still paddling fast enough.

And the sunset was extraordinary! At first it was many varieties of clouds everywhere mixed in with blue sky, with a kind of murkiness over the horizon. Then as the sun dropped lower, the sky reddened, changed to gold, and a glowing lightbulb of sun shone through - molten orange and red on the grey water. Took quite a bit to make the short journey to the horizon and once it did the sky quickly darkened.

Thursday, October 4th

Taught meditation, same format 3/15/metta. Had a couple people with experience so made the main part 15 minutes....focused on "impermanence" on the in breath and out breath. Later in the day, again, I noticed myself caught in traffic or something and telling myself it was impermanent.

----

Surfing 1 hour

After surfing my 6'4" fish for the last 15 or so surfs, I picked it up and it felt like a lead weight today. The best board felt like this 7'6" three-fin I have, so I took it out not hoping for much.

Waves, waves, waves. For a while, it was me and two others, paddling as fast as we could to the peak, immediately catching a wave and repeating. The waves began to slow down and a few more people came out, but I was in supreme harmony. Made a bunch of iffy drops, got a couple good front-side snaps (never done that on this board before), just an awesome surf. Fell on a wave or two, but was laughing and hooting and feeling the love. And another great sunset to end the day. When I got in, my towel, car keys and sunscreen were gone - but this hot girl helped me call AAA and I have a back-up key. So amped from surfing I wasn't bummed in the slightest.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 5th

Surfing 1 hour

Waves were big and a bit unruly today. Caught 3-4 waves, felt like I surfed super good. But 20 minutes in or so, I started to think arrogantly of myself and condescendingly of others and basically didn't catch anything the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, October 6th

Surfing 2 hours

Got two good waves, and surfed them well. The rest of the time was a struggle against the wind and the chunky waves and the other surfers circling around.

For a while I got very negative about other people, I concentrated on being more loving and immediately was nice to the most difficult people and I caught those two good ones. But even though I kept concentrating on it..the waves remained elusive. And I felt negative towards other new faces in the line-up.

Off for a scone and a sandwich.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 8th - Back, Abs, Biceps

Felt rundown yesterday. There's a number of things that are normal parts of life I've been neglecting: shaving, grocery shopping, getting to bed on time, laundry....and the only thing I can think of is excessive exercise. So I decided today, even though my surfing has been good and frequent, to dial back my weight training volume.

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Lats - Child's Pose, Hip Flexors, Abs - Upward Dog, Biceps, Rear Delts, Lats - Standing Lean

PG Chin-Ups x 11, 8, 7, 7
and
Decline Alt. Leg Raises x 15 each, 13, 13, 11

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15 x 4 sets
and
DB Alt. Hammer Curls 25's x 15, 30's x 10, 30's x 10, 30's x 8

Standing Cable Reverse Fly's 2nd Setting x 15, 12, 10, 10
Note: alternating with bent or straight arm chest stretches, 1 minute rest

Repeat Stretches, added Abs - Full Wheel at end

Note: worked very hard on alignment today, hips over shoulders on rows, tight abs on reverse flys and curls, good spine position on abs

----

Heard Scripps Pier and La Jolla Shores were absolutely firing today early, but alas I had work.

Headed home for an hour for a lunch break and caught a few waves at the spot by my house. Once again I can tell the difference of omitting the TVA work during abs on my ability to make a hard turn, but I'm sick of being run down. So fuck it. Gorgeous day!

----

Meditation

Yoga 10 minutes + Deep Breathing 3 minutes + "Noting" Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude

Amazing class. Background was ocean waves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 9th - Chest, Shoulders

Stretch Rear Delts, Biceps, Chest - Bent Arm, Glutes - External Rotation, Triceps, Lying Twist

Full-Contact Twist [5 up, 5 down] x 5 reps each side x 4 sets

DB Bench 55's x 15, 12, 10, 10

DB Lateral Raises 10's x 17, 11-13, 12, 10

Triceps Pushdowns 50lbs x 15, 12, 8; 42.lbs x ~10

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 15, 5lbs x 15R/14L

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 12, 10

Repeat Stretches

----

On my way to check the surf and my car got rear ended by a huge F-150. I drive an old Corolla and the rear-end was smashed, I was fine - thank God! - and my board missed being caved in by the trunk by a millimeter. My wetsuit was stuck, but I was able to get it free.

Exchanged info (nice guy named Josh!) and jumped in at the best wave in town. 5 guys max, a little slow at first, but then I started getting awesome waves and people kept getting out. It's a funny break, you take off at a bit of an angle (like I'd point my board to the right, paddle in and then cut left). Really good vibes in the water - talked to everyone. I complimented a guy on a barrel and he said "let's switch!" So I got a couple on his longboard and he got a wave or two on my fish. Paddled like a motherfucker today, just screaming into everything that wasn't claimed. My best wave was this big guy that lined up, I did a deep bottom turn, pumped with my arm twice to gain momentum and carved off the top, then into two cutbacks - the last one being a bit lackluster. Almost manically stoked when I got out, but very positive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, October 10th

The surf was out of control, but so was my schedule. No wave time.

Deep Breathing + "Impermanence" Meditation + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude

Thursday, October 11th

First client cancelled, so...

Surfing 45 minutes

Fell on nearly everything, or everything. Waves were ridiculously good. Right by my house.

Deep Breathing 3 minutes + "Impermanence" Mediation 10 minutes + Compassion Meditaton + Gratitude

Thought the lack of TVA training might have contributed to my surfing poorly, so:

Alternating Leg Raises w/ TVA Contraction x 4 sets
and
DB Side Bends w/ TVA Contraction x 4 sets

Surfing 1 hour

Outstanding waves, but chickened out of the two best ones. Caught some smaller ones and surfed pretty good! Made a lot of sketchy drops. Surfed my favorite secret spot.

Surfing 45 minutes

Very good waves, exactly the way I like them. Big, but not too steep and not too flat. Surfed very well, paddled hard. Surfed the best wave in town.

Surfing 45 minutes

Went to Scripps, even though it is almost always terrible and the waves have been good all day nearly everywhere. My buddy claimed it was excellent. It was terrible haha. Nothing but close-outs. I saw a couple waves get made, but there seemed to be no consistency to where they would break.

Friday, October 12th - Legs

Stretch Rear Delts, Biceps, Bent-Arm Chest, Straight-Arm Chest, Calves, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Quads, Bent-Leg Groin, Hamstrings, Straight-Leg Groin, Lying Twist

BB Squats - Feet Shoulder Width [6 blocks] 115lbs x 8, 8, 6; 95lbs x 5

Seated Calves 45lbs x 12, 10, 10, 10
and
Bulgarian Split-Squats x 12 each x 4 sets

Glute-Ham Raise x 15 x 4 sets

BB Deadlift 95lbs x 15, 115lbs x 12, 135lbs x 10 x 2 sets

Repeat Stretches

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:30 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, October 13th

Yesterday was windy and the waves were blown out, and I wouldn't have bothered to look at the waves, but I tried to park at a local cafe and ended up 2 blocks away overlooking the Ocean. The waves were surprisingly good looking, so went home and grabbed my board.

Surfing 2 hours

Surfed Windansea in pretty excellent conditions, 4-5 feet, occasionally 6 foot. Uncrowded at first, fairly glassy. My first wave might have been my best, but I caught a dozen set waves (practically unheard of for me at this break). Over and over again, it felt like my ability to lay into my turns has diminished. I was making some of the turns, but bogged down on a few and definitely could have used more power on all of them. Had a stunning sunset, rain clouds on the horizon colored purple, orange and red by the setting sun. Came in super grateful on a terrific wave that took me almost to shore.

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

note: some sort of leg extension seems to really help with the turning issue I was struggling with tonight. Machine ones seem to stress out my knees, but this bodyweight version has worked in the past. I plan to integrate them into my own leg workouts going forwards (but perhaps not my clientele's training).

side note: this has been an excellent week for me as a trainer. I started training a guy about 6 months ago who had fairly low strength levels, he PR'd on DB Bench and Chin-Ups this week (from 17.5's to 40's, from 1-2 to 7). And a client who I've trained for quite a while who was suffering from some severe knee pain was showing that he could jog down the stairs. Both programs are extremely straight-forward, nuts and bolts training and stretching. Stoked!

last side note: I have spent a lot of time focusing on all sorts of shoulder stabilization - serratus, lower traps, internal rotation....but my paddle speed of late has been much improved. Only real changes are dropping everything but rear delts and external rotation, only worrying about lifting my chest up and not my scapula positioning during rows and rear delts, and going to full ROM on ext rot work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 14th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Glassy, perfection. The 2 foot waves were perfect (and I saw one this size break a board), the 6 foot waves were perfect and I saw a handful of barrels get made. I stayed in the 2-4 foot range and had a blast. Still struggling with coming in quickly enough to adequately keep me in sunscreen, and I get nervous during sections where it looks like a barrel. I always speed away versus stall. One surfer, who got multiple barrels, said that you just have to accept going over the falls a few times before you figure it out for the day.

Trying to think of what I can tell myself to break the cycle.

At the end I was talking to another surfer and he called me out for swearing - said something like "I'm losing what you're saying with the f-bombs." I thought it was a nice way of putting it and a habit that I could let go from my life.

Oh, and my turns were better than yesterday's but my back knee felt weak - so maybe 2 sets of Leg Extensions and 2 sets of a VMO exercise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:01 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 15th

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

Surfing 1.5 hours

Should have been an hour, but I lost track of time and ended up late for work.

Got a couple non-starter waves, a few I fell on or buried the nose and one beautiful one that I got a couple carves on.

On the plus side, a guy kept taking a set wave and then paddling past everyone to the front of the line. After he did this twice I paddled over and kindly told him that we were all waiting our turn. It didn't go poorly and after a bit he started rotating into the line-up.

Again with the lack of reapplying sunscreen.

Trying hard to figure it out, everything I seem to tell myself on top of my lengthy surf mantra makes me surf worse or doesn't help me put sunscreen on. Trying to look up some Zen and Taoist things for inspiration, but any ideas on how to break myself out of wave hunting mode would be appreciated!

Meditation 15 minutes - just not thinking about anything stressful, felt less effective - Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 16th

In my ongoing quest to get enough sleep and wear enough sunscreen, I somehow came up with the idea to focus on trusting the process.

So far I've eaten 4 home-cooked healthy meals and worn sunscreen every time I've been outdoors, so there's that.

----

Stretching Rear Delts, Hip Flexors, Biceps, Abs, Lats - Child's Pose, Lat's - Hands Interlaced Overhead Lean to the Side (flexible!)

Chin-Ups x 11, 8, 8, 6
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each x 4 sets

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15, 15, 12, 12

Machine Reverse Fly 70lbs x 12, 10, 10, 8 (keeping low back neutral, elevating upper back)
and
BB Curls 60lbs x 10, 9, 9, 8

Alternating Leg Raises x 15, 10, 8, 5

Repeat Stretches

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next