Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Saturday, October 5th

Visiting family in Northern California and it's peaceful and beautiful. Staying in a heavily forested area, full of animals.

Woke up early, went outside and:

Yoga + Meditation 20 minutes + Connecting to Nature 10 minutes
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 am

Reading a fascinating book on mental strength and the author says there are 3 categories of the mind:

1) The Conscious Mind - what you are thinking about
2) The Subconscious Mind - what you have practiced
3) The Self-Image - what you think you are capable of

He says you should try to strengthen all 3, that the stronger each is, the greater your performance. But they all need to be in balance.

I thought about the subconscious and what I could do for surfing, knowing that I've gotten messed up when I've focused on drilling a technique at the expense of watching the wave.

Here are the techniques I came up with to work on:

A) Drill 10 beautiful, deep bottom turns each session, but only on very safe sections
B) Drill 10 double-arm drags with kick stalls into/with the beginning of the foam each session, but only on very safe sections
C) Drill 10 beautiful kick-outs each session, but only on very safe sections

A few other ideas...

* Rail-grab turns
* Rail-grab bottom turns?
* Drop wallet turns
* Cutback to snap into the white-water
* Giving away 10 GOOD waves each session
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Monday, October 7th - Upper Body Push

Yes, I did a version of this a few days ago. No, I was not satisfied with it. So, again in the gym.

DB Incline Bench 50's-55's x 3 sets
DB Flat Bench 50's-55's x 3 sets
DB Bench 50's x 2 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's-40's x 4 sets
DB Lateral Raises 12.5's-15's x 4 sets

Triceps Pushdowns 50lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps 42.5lbs x 4 sets

DB Shrugs 35's-40's x 4 sets
and
Scapulae Push-Ups x 20, 20, 20, 16

DB Windmill [contract TVA on concentric; concentrate on bending from the hips, not the waist] 30-35lbs x 8-10
BB Full-Contact Twist [contract TVA on eccentric] Bar x 5, +5lbs x 5, +10lbs x 5 (very hard to contract TVA when rotating down to the right), +5lbs x 5

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets
Cable External Rotation - Elbow by Side 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 15
Cable Internal Rotation - Kneeling 35lbs x 15 x 2 sets
DB Seated External Rotation 7.5's x 20, 15

Stretch chest, forearms, wrists, biceps, triceps, glutes, seated twist, triangle pose

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Small, windy and inconsistent for the most part, but occasionally a nice wave would come through.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:38 am

Tuesday, October 8th

Nice and sore from yesterday: triceps, obliques and TVA

Surfing 1 hour

Great waves!

Forgot that I can't think about any of the surf techniques I listed without screwing up my connection to surfing. So I just surfed.

One thing I noticed tonight: after making a drop and feeling like the wave wasn't going to stay open, I consigned myself to slide off the wave at the bottom. But as I got to the bottom, I felt this weird patch of power I could have tapped into and done a bottom turn. I don't really pay attention to this feeling, but assume this feeling is present with each possibility of a bottom turn.

When it happened tonight, I felt it for a half-second, then it was gone.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Wednesday, October 9th

Surfing 30 minutes

Conditions looked mixed up (instead of clean waves, separated at regular intervals, there were intermingled peaks), but many waves stayed fun and open.

Yesterday, on at least 3 occasions, I felt I should have grabbed my rail when doing a turn. This comes in handy when the wave face isn't that steep, but not once did I do it. My mind would say "you should grab your rail" and then I wouldn't. I made all the turns yesterday, but I think each would have been stronger with that technique. Today, my mind said "grab it" and I grabbed immediately.

----
Surfing 45 minutes

Went to another spot and although it was small, many had good shape and stayed open for a few sections. Noticed I still am not putting my foot all the way on the tail when turning, maybe some yoga or dynamic warm-ups for better proprioception?

Oh...and tried to search for that power spot from yesterday from which to bottom turn. The second I looked for it I lost the rhythm of the wave, maybe if I try to teach someone else though it will come in handy.

----
Meditation Class 10 minutes [noting thoughts] + Compassion Meditation + Sitting Silently 1 min

I dunno if I've voiced my frustrations too often about teaching meditation, but I find it pretty frustrating.

I've read books, sat in on other teachers, and listened to any feedback I can: speaking slower, speaking more clearly, playing with duration (anywhere from 5-20 minutes, or just paying attention to group irritation levels), meditating with and without the class, music or silent, background sounds or none, lighting candles to focus the gaze on....a bunch of different types of meditation (breath based, unattached awareness based, using mantras)....adding mudras or not.

I fucking feel like I just can't do a good job, or I should say a good enough job. Where whether you fail or not, you're happy with how you played the game.

So today, I was like fuck it I'll just "do my best, have fun and be funny" -- my teacher mantra for today. I was very much considering quitting teaching walking in. I enjoy the 3-5 people that show up, but doing a shitty job is kinda hard on me.

The class was okay, but I had this weird moment during class that lasted a while. And it felt that meditation was prayer....that calming the mind down was somehow more than it usually is. And when class ended and I was talking with people after, I really felt that I had done something different for the 30 minutes of class. Put myself in a different state.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Thursday, October 10th

Surfing 30 minutes

Beach smelled terrible when I got there, and after I got to where the waves were breaking I was informed there was a sewage spill. Hoping I am not sick later :(

My paddle muscles felt worn out and my mind was playing the "you're going to suck" loop. But I used my meditation technique of identifying my thoughts and tried to counter them ("take it slow, pick good waves, negative thoughts don't help"), and even though I missed a few waves I think I could have paddled into...I still surfed pretty good!

Guessing that avoiding focusing on my scapular positioning during my last workout contributed to the shoulder exhaustion - that has been the case in the past.

Surfing 1.25 hours

Chose a different spot. Paddled out and caught 5 fun waves in 15 minutes, 1 wave in the next 30 minutes, then 0 waves the 30 after that.

Sunuvabitch, again with not reapplying sunscreen fast enough. 45 minutes hard rule (30 if I'm already over sun-exposed).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Friday, October 11th

Surfing 1 hour

The swell we had is almost gone, but I paddled out with Ron already in the water. Clear as a fish tank today, spotted a Garibaldi over the swaying eel grass, and surfed over a tiny shark or a duck.

Waves were small, but somehow I managed to get a few good ones. Again, I noticed this little voice saying things like "you should do a deeper bottom turn" or "grab your rail." Again, I ignored this and basically blew every wave this happened on.

Killed it on sunscreen the first 30 minutes, then waited about 40 minutes to come in the next time. Surfing is so goddamn compulsive like gambling or something. Got to stay stronger.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Sunday, October 13th - Upper Body Pull

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Chin-Ups +20lbs x 5, +25lbs x 4, +30lbs x 3, +35lbs x 2, +40lbs x 1

Pull-Ups x 5, 4, 3

Seated Rows 42.5lbs x 4 sets
and
Standing Rows to Chest 70-85lbs x 4 sets

BB Curls 50-60lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Reverse Curls 40-50lbs x 4 sets

BB Reverse Wrist Curls 20lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Wrist Curls 40lbs x 4 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's 5lbs x 3 sets
Kneeling Cable Reverse Fly's - High to Low 5-7.5lbs x 3 sets
Cable Reverse Fly's - Low to High 2.5lbs x 2 sets

Decline Leg Raises x 4 sets
and
BOSU Sit-Ups w/ Band x 4 sets

Repeat Stretches

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 am

Monday, October 14th

Surfing 30 minutes

Very small waves. In a moment of absent-mindedness I cracked the tail of my board on my door as I was leaving home, dang it :(

Got a few waves, just cruising along. My buddy was out along with a local I know, the waves were so small and the local lost the board (my friend was in his line, and could have/should have swam into the whitewater) and ran my friend over. Literally three people out and the guy who HIT him was yelling and cursing him out. Bad vibes :(

Sore from yesterday, mainly rear delts.

Meditation 10 minutes [repeating "forgiveness"] + Compassion Meditation

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 am

Tuesday, October 15th

Surfing 45 minutes

Fairly atrocious conditions. Managed a few waves where I just tried not to hit any rocks (hit a rock paddling out, the tide was quite low). Balance and turning power felt weak. This is something I've noticed when I don't train the TVA, so I'm going to re-do abs tonight and see if I can figure out a way to integrate them. When I've attempted to draw the TVA in for the entire rep of an ab exercise, it makes me surf better, but my abs get locked in this permanent weak place and my low back starts to bug me. On obliques I reduced TVA activation to just during the concentric on lateral flexion and eccentric on rotation, which seemed to work great.

----

Hanging Knee Raises w/ TVA x 2 sets
and
Leg Raises w/ TVA x 3 sets
and
Decline Sit-Ups w/ TVA x 3 sets

Decided, after messing around, to contract the TVA only on the concentric. Seemed to work well.

Afterwards, went and tried to surf, but paddled like shit and caught nothing. When I contract my shoulder blades down and back during pulls (rows, chin-ups, reverse flyes, external rotation) I seem to paddle pretty fast. And when I skip it I seem to paddle pretty slow.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Wednesday, October 16th

Meditation 15 minutes [repeating "impermanence," breathing slow, posture] + Compassion Meditation

There was a huge amount of drilling during this meditation in the room above me, and during the compassion meditation a woman opened the door and asked loudly "is this where the drilling is coming from?!"

Felt pretty fucking good though. Today's class/teacher mantra was "curious, cool, smart, funny, take care" - noted because I thought I did a better than average job of things. Oh and once we started I never gave a reminder to breathe, or sit-up right or whatever. All that was done in the prep work and then 15 minutes of silence...and drilling.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Thursday, October 17th

First client didn't show today, so:

Meditation 20 minutes [breathing + observing]

----

As mentioned a few posts ago, I had done what I thought was a killer back and ab workout, but my balance on a surfboard and my paddle speed both suffered. So I shuffled a few things around. Every set of pull-downs, rows and reverse flies was done with a smooth squeeze of the shoulder blades down and back. The abs were all done from a neutral spine, and ignored the TVA. Then the TVA was targeted with its own exercise.

The surf I heard was remarkable this morning, but a windy mess as of 3pm.

Hanging Knee Raises x 3 sets
Decline Leg/Knee Raises x 3 sets
BOSU Sit-Up w/ Band x 2 sets
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1/2 x 4 sets

Note: core felt great after this

Lat Pull-Downs OHG 70lbs x 4 sets
Lat Pull-Downs PG 70lbs x 4 sets
Seated Rows - Elbows In 35lbs x 4 sets
Standing Rows - Elbows High 55lbs x 4 sets
Standing Reverse Flies 15lbs x 4 sets
Reverse Grip Terminal Pull-Downs - Orange Band x 4 sets

Note: this was boring as shit, but I squeezed them scaps every rep

EZ-Bar Curl 60-70lbs x 3 sets
DB Hammer Curl 20's-22.5's x 3 sets
EZ-Bar Reverse Curl 40-50lbs x 2 sets

BB Ulnar Deviation 9's x 2 sets
and
BB Radial Deviation 9's x 2 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Friday, October 18th

Surfing 30 minutes

Got one okay wave. Turbo paddle speed was gone and caused me to fearfully back off a number of medium-but-steep waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Saturday, October 19th

Surfing 3 hours

It was a short interval combo swell, with southeast winds, and so I guessed (accurately) that La Jolla Shores would be a good bet.

Lots of beautiful waves were on offer and a teeming horde of people was there to chase them, even at 7am.

My left posterior shoulder, which hasn't bugged me in a long time, was giving out on multiple attempts to pop-up (I would just fall back on the board). This also was accompanied with pain and very slow paddling.

The handful of times I got to my feet, I still felt awkward, but managed two crummily surfed (but nicely shaped) rights.

I caught one gorgeous left towards the end, but there was 4-5 people directly in my way, so I straightened out to avoid them, somehow was still on the wave, set up for a turn...and had more people in the way.

Sigh...And yet!

Part of the reason for surfing this spot today - besides the good forecast - was to celebrate Walter Munk:

"Walter Munk revolutionized our understanding of the ocean and of Earth’s rotation. He synthesized observations, theory and empirical rules to solve problems both fundamental and practical — about waves, tides, mixing, circulation and more. His early work aided Allied beach landings in the Second World War, and from 1968 he was part of JASON, the elite group of scientists that advises the US government on military matters."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00750-5

I did not know Walter, but he was famed as much for his kind nature as for his brilliant mind. And he's had an enormous impact on my ability to enjoy surfing, by laying a huge amount of groundwork for swell forecasting. So I was happy to have a chance to celebrate a life well lived (he passed away in February at 101 years).

It was a wonderful ceremony, with a variety of speakers from big wave surfers, to lifeguards, to fellow scientists weighing in. At the end, a large circle was formed with about 150 of us holding hands while a Hawaiian spiritual leader led us in a traditional celebration of life.

This was followed by around 50 of us paddling out past the waves and again forming a circle. The Hawaiian repeated the ceremony, this time punctuated by blasts from a conch shell, flowers being released in the middle of the circle and all of us splashing water upwards while shouting his name.

I talked to the Hawaiian for a few moments afterward and he said the Ocean is all about love, aloha and respect. And he gave me a great handshake with a kiss on the shoulder.

Good vibes!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 pm

Just spent about an hour in a coffee shop re-writing my program.

With my shoulder worn out, I've decided that I've been doing too damn much on the stabilizers and being counter-productive.

So I cut the volume on mid traps, low traps, internal and external rotation. I also am now able to squeeze in extra dynamic quad work which should help my athleticism.

Upper Pull
Chin-Ups and Pull-Ups
Rows - Elbows In and Elbows Out
Curls
Abs
TVA
Forearms x 4 each
Upper-Traps
Mid-Traps, Low-Traps or Combo

The change was reducing mid and low traps from 8 sets to 4 sets. Then I threw in upper traps (which goes great with mid-traps).

Upper Push
Bench and Push-Ups
Shoulder Press and Shoulder Raise
Triceps
Obliques
Serratus
Neck x 4 each
Internal/External Rotation use cycle

Change was reducing internal and external rotation from 8 sets to 4 sets, and moving upper traps. Then I threw in neck for 8 sets.

Full-Body

Warm-Up
Glute Bridge - Bent
Upper Push/Lower Push 1 or 2 Leg
Upper Pull/Lower Push 1 or 2 Leg
Ab/Oblique
TVA
Internal/External Rotation use cycle
Glute Bridge - Straight

Change was moving neck and decreasing scapular stabilizers from 8 sets to 4 sets. Then I added a dynamic warm-up, a 1-leg and 2-leg explosive quad (vs. one or the other)

Last change was returning to a rotation for internal rotation, external rotation and rear delts.

A Int/Ext
B Int/Int
C Ext/Ext
D Rear Delt

Push ACAC
Full BDBD
Pull DDDD

Week 1 - R Cuff x 2, RD x 1
Week 2 - R Cuff x 1, RD x 2