Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:47 pm

My left posterior shoulder, which bothers me from time to time, is inflamed.

Two things I could have done:

1) Draw the shoulder blade(s) smoothly down and back during upper body exercises.
2) Only do ROM with zero stress during internal/external rotation.

Will focus on form.

Edit: Was mindful of these principles during my first training session of the day: neutral shoulder blades on biceps/triceps; drawing shoulders down and back during push-ups, rows, reverse flies, and external rotation; pain-free ROM on all exercises; neutral wrist/forearms: neutral pelvis on every core/upper body exercise except abs; posterior pelvic tilt on abs....clients did SO well on everything and it felt so good to see their bodies moving pain-free and harmoniously :heart:
Last edited by Bram on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Thursday, October 14th — Rotator Cuff, Lower Body, Surfing

Left posterior shoulder super pissed off.

Pain-free ROM, smoothly drawing shoulder blades down and back (on eccentric for internal rotation, concentric for external)

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 30lbs x 20 R/L, 30lbs x 20R/20lbs x 20L

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side 10lbs x 20R/15L x 2 sets

Note: within a few hours my shoulder feels almost 100%! Wow, go form....

——

Was tempted to fuck with this workout’s exercises, but opted instead to focus on form: knees track toes; neutral low back on all exercises; posterior pelvic tilt on hamstrings and good mornings; neutral pelvis on rest; pain-free ROM

Band Box Squats — Green + Purple x 15 x 2
And
2-Up, 1-Down Calf Raise x 15 ea. x 2

Box Pistols x 15 x 2
And
Wall Leaning Shin Raise x 20 x 2

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 ea. x 2
And
Band Standing 1-Leg Adduction — Red x 20 ea. x 2

Slow Front Kicks x 20 ea. x 2
And
Hamstring Walk-Out’s x 5-8 x 2

Good Mornings — Green + Purple x 12 x 2
And
Band TKE x 20 ea. x 2

Stretch Calves, Shins, Hip Flexors, Quads, Glutes, Adductors, Hamstrings

——

Surfing 1 hour

Stunning sunset, with the water like molten steel.

Got 6-8 fun, cruisey waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Thursday, October 15th — Surfing

Surfing 1 hour

Hot as fuck. Two coats of zinc 50, think I did okay with the protection.

Fun waves, surfing feeling goooood

——

Just another note on how effective those form tweaks were.

1) a ten-year old kid I’ve been training, who’s really struggled with form, was using perfect posture
2) a client with a history of shoulder issues and a history of difficulty using good form — perfect biceps, triceps, and shoulder raise form, zero pain

Stoked!

——

Surfing 1 hour

Took out my smaller board and was really struggling, then finally got into some fun waves.

Surfing feels good, but my hip flexors are so bunched up (esp. the left), I think it’s like having the e-break on my ability to turn.

Will play with workout form.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:46 am

Friday, October 16th — Surfing

Surfing 2 hours

Went out in a mob of surfers, somehow picked off a few good ones.

Ze best was my first one, I went for broke on my first turn, but didn’t do something right and I blew it.

But rectified that shit and was in the zone for an hour. Then literally nothing for an hour.

Yabba dabba doo doo pies

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Saturday, October 17th — Surfing

Surfing 4.25 hours

Got a bunch of waves (although there were occasional long waits for sets), kept the vibes good with other people, surfed decent-to-well.

Almost went crazy running through different shit to think about — not just today, but last night.

It’s so fucking bizarre to me that I can think about

a) feel, connect, love, excellent
b) connect, funny, fun, excellent
c) feel, connect, flow, love

And each of those leads to good surfing, and omitting or altering some of those words makes me fall on my ass. But egads, the side effects of: anger, rage, joylessness, selfishness, neediness — it’s fucking horrible. The connect, funny, fun one seems the least hateful lol.

In for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. Haha, I don’t recommend trying to come up with a meta-life philosophy, at least from my results so far....yikes.

——

Surfing 1 hour

Another session with a zillion people.

Got a couple waves off the bat, then a couple at the end.

Yeee
Last edited by Bram on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Each situation requires a different state. As Lama Surya Das, says, 'no wind, no waves". meaning your state changes depending on causes and conditions. For myself, I think one that has helped a little is to always be in control. When I lose control of my emotions, or lose awareness of where I am and/or what's happening, that's when really bad things happen. So that's one of mine although I have yet to encapsulate it into a cue or mantra.

Do you have a pre-surf ritual? This might affect things as well. The way I went to Contact Improv was a long way from ideal and that affected things. Is there something you listen to on the way to the beach? Maybe play with that and see what effect it has.

Edit: I'm not saying I have any answers here, just trying to give a different take, maybe help the process a little.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:39 pm

Thanks MJS!

My problem with having multiple approaches is that as soon as I open myself to having a “training mentality,” a “surfing mentality,” a “conflict mentality,” etc., I seem unable to stop myself from adding more. My thinking mind seems to revel in having an endless array of rabbit holes to dive down.

So it seems that one approach has to be best, and the words aren’t as important as the results. If I tell myself,”love, humility” and the result is hatred and arrogance....well, no. :)

On the control front, I agree with you. The moment you succumb to going full-on triggered, it’s bad.

Me journaling this experience is interesting because I’m not yelling at people in real life (most of the time), but I am yelling at them in my head a lot. And I’m usually aware (that control part) that those feelings are gonna lead to trouble if I nurture them. The goal is either to transcend having the damn thoughts in the first place, or at least use them as cues to change my behavior (“you’re thinking like a dick, let it go or compliment that person”).

I do have a pre and post surf ritual, which I’ll share — my friends either tease me or get a kick out of it.

Before each surf, I try to connect to the Ocean, then my board, then my body. If I don’t feel connected, I might do some stretches, or pick up my board, etc.

After each surf, I say thank you to the Ocean. This is a good one, because I practice gratitude for days where I catch nothing, or surf poorly, (a kind of “thanks for the lesson” mentality) and for days where I do (“thanks for the fun!”).

Is Contact Improv like Improv comedy? Did you have a ritual for that? Thanks dude for chiming in on all this, lol maybe all these musings will lead to a Kolinahr-scopy yeeeew

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 am

My pre-event process was: blast myself awake with a horrible alarm (no idea why I used an alarm clock instead of some nice music), get jacked up on caffeine, rush like mad since I never had my stuff laid out, drive in a manic state, then get there and try to calm myself so I didn't come off like a crazy person. Every part of this was obviously wrong. It I were that nervous about it I never should have gone. I see now that my anxiety was largely because I knew I was making a mistake. I was also always tired which got me a lot more ugliness than I probably otherwise would have gotten. So don't do any of those.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:05 pm

I operated similarly a while back. This is advice and you did not ask!! I am sharing in hopes it MAY be helpful.

I decided to change my life, after being pretty miserable, startIng with adjusting my work schedule to operate around my natural clock.

I naturally get up at around 6:30, so I moved work to 8:00. The earliest I had started was 4:45, so this was a significant change.

Then I reduced my work hours to maximize happiness — six appointments max.

Then I cut my schedule to five days a week, with a rare short sixth day, previous record was forty-nine days straight.

All these allowed for every day to be potentially amazing.

There was a bit more to it, but just paying attention to what made me happy, and what made me burned out — then honoring both.

Any-fucking-how, that and 1.49$ will buy you a water. :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 am

Sunday — Surfing

Went for an hour, think it was fun?

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday — Surfing

I’m pretty sure I surfed at least one of these days, maybe two.

Thursday — Lower Body + Surfing

Band Box Squats - Green + Purple x 15 x 2 sets
And
2-Feet Up/1-Foot Down Calf Raise x 15 each x 2 sets

Box 1-Leg Squats x 15 each x 2 sets
And
Wall Leaning Shin Raises x 20 x 2 sets

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets
And
Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

Standing Band 1-Leg Adduction — Red x 20 each x 2 sets
And
Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each

Nordic Ham Curls x 8 x 2 sets

Band Good Morning — Green x 20 x 2 sets

Standing Band Hip Internal Rotation ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets
And
Standing Band Hip External Rotation ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Ankle Inversion — Red x 15 each, 20 each
And
Band Ankle Eversion — Yellow x 20 each x 2 sets

Band TKE — Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

——

Surfing 2.5 hours

Mantra: feel, connect, funny, fun, flow, style

Amazing waves, from 3-12 people out.

Without a doubt, the best I have ever surfed. Hauling ass between maneuvers, big wrapping turns, flowing movement.

——

Been doing a lot of thinking and not enough eating the past few days.

Frustrated with a girl that I liked that was going poorly.

Frustrated with work feeling off lately.

Frustrated with knowing ~40 different gym things that can help surfing, but being unable to bring them together into a reasonable training program.

Frustrated with trying 1000 different mental focal point combinations for surfing/pseudo-enlightenment/harmony.

Decided to make my training programs balanced (there was four quad and four hamstring exercises today as an example).

Decided to focus on what makes work awesome (mental focus “smart, funny, take care”).

Decided to forget about my weaknesses mentally for surfing and focus on my strengths (bravery and love make me angry, but funny and fun make me hyper-alert and friendly).

Anyways, seems like the right shift.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:15 am

Friday, October 23rd — Hiking

Hiking 45 minutes

Tried Cowel’s Mountain, a local hike I’d never done. Got maybe half-way up and my friend was feeling hot and dehydrated so we turned around.

Good views and interesting terrain. Lots of rocks mixed in with dirt and railroad ties making up the trail.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Saturday, October 24th — Surfing

Surfing 2.75 hours

Got to the beach about 7:15AM and saw a bunch of people (for this spot, which can only handle a few) heading out.

Opted to surf the next reef down, only a few hundred feet away. It’s a spot I’ve surfed next to a ton of times, but usually avoid as it’s a hard wave to read. It was fun! Not a lot of waves relative to the crowded spot, but really nice shape, with a distinct, abrupt end section.

After an hour, I paddled to my normal secret-spot and could feel the aggression in the water. People were paddling around each other left and right. I got some really good waves, and surfed well, but was adding to the tension.

It’s a shame, because my surfing feels good, but I know my mental cues continue to be deficient — I have contorted my mind in the past to not give two fucks, to even make friends of the worst transgressors, but what I’m doing today made me angry :(

On the plus side, a local ripper who rightly gave me shit a few years back (when I used to paddle around everyone and other douchey behavior), gave good vibes for the first time and even called me into a few. He was using different angles to paddle into waves than I do (which I copied and which helped). Always good to be around better people — both in attitude and ability.