60th year

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Post Reply
User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

60th year

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:34 am

Summer over, elbow tendonitis still there, cortisone has worn off, and have decided it may be there forever. Need to start lifting weights again regardless. Start slow and ease back in.

PM weight 222.5, BF 28.1%

8:00 p.m.

Joint mobility

15 2-arm swings, 1.5 pood, 10 1-arm swings (r,l) 1 pood

6 one arm floor press, r,l, 1.5 pood (right shoulder the weak point)

1.5 pull up (palms neutral)

6 2-handed front squat, 1 pood (pull down, keep back arch all the way down and starting up, lift with elbows)

7 one-arm military press, 1 pood

one leg, one bell deadlift, 1 pood, 7-7 (r,l)

lying shoulder rotation, palm down, , 20 lb. dumbell, r,l 5,5,4,4

8-spot 360 degree lunges, no weight, r, l; 10-step walking lunge (5 forward, 5 back); 10-step cross over side lunge; 3-3 kickstand lunge w/ .5 pood r,l

4 renegade row w 1 pd (feel some soreness on back of right elbow)

9 pullover, twist, sicilian crunch, .5 pood

4 kneeling wheel rollout

formulator, up down (10-10 x2, w/o sleeve), r/l rotation (10-10 x 2, w/sleeve), hand shake (10-10 x 2, w/sleeve)

forearm stretch - wrist back (up, down) - 30 sec. each, wrist front (up, down) - 30 sec. each, twist right, left x 30 sec. each

Foam and softball rolling
Last edited by Hebrew Hammer on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian
Posts: 4653
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:56 am

Post by Hank Scorpio » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:56 am

Jesus, could you make your session take up more space next time? Maybe make it its own literary genre.
Last edited by Hank Scorpio on Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

User avatar
Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian
Posts: 4653
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:56 am

Post by Hank Scorpio » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:58 am

By the way, what is this:
sicilian crunch, .5 pood
Image

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:32 am

steamboatwillie wrote:By the way, what is this:
sicilian crunch, .5 pood
Lying on back, knees up, Kettlebell on the chest, crunch, shoot the kettlebell into an incline press, kettlebell comes back as you go back. The name is from Diluglio's first CD, Art of Strength(?).
Image

User avatar
MonkeyJesus
Gunny
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: U.S.A

Post by MonkeyJesus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Have you tried some high rep extensor work with rubber bands for your elbow? Always works well for me along with the flexion/extension work you already seem to be doing. There is also some useful info in the Trigger Point Therapy workbook to help ease or possibly erase the strain. Maybe Andy has some JS magic manna for the elbow.

The pain is a bitch if it's really stressed, but it goes away "eventually"

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Have to agree with SB Wille somewhat, except on the number of exercises in your regimen. On the tendonitis, do nothing and I mean nothing that aggravates it for six months to a year. Ice it religiously the days you do swings and other movements if it shows even a twinge. Pushing thru the discomfort with elbow trouble seems to backfire.

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Danny wrote:Have you tried some high rep extensor work with rubber bands for your elbow? Always works well for me along with the flexion/extension work you already seem to be doing. There is also some useful info in the Trigger Point Therapy workbook to help ease or possibly erase the strain. Maybe Andy has some JS magic manna for the elbow.

The pain is a bitch if it's really stressed, but it goes away "eventually"
I have not done that and I should. I injured the elbows while trying to close the #2 COC, which I was a whisker away from, and building up to ten minutes sessions for snatching and jerks. I just ignored the elbow pain because it didn't feel like injury pain. It was kind of like a frog in water being warmed, though. As it got worse, I didn't pay attention until one day I swung a golf club and the pain shot through me.

Anyway, not sure what caused it, but the extensor work could help as I was overdoing the grip sessions at the time to close the damn gripper.
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:Have to agree with SB Wille somewhat, except on the number of exercises in your regimen. On the tendonitis, do nothing and I mean nothing that aggravates it for six months to a year. Ice it religiously the days you do swings and other movements if it shows even a twinge. Pushing thru the discomfort with elbow trouble seems to backfire.
The PT folks had me doing all this reverse wrist curl, wrist twist and wrist handshake stuff, which directly triggers the aggravation, and then stretch and ice. Didn't work. I think I'll try to figure out what I can do and can't do without aggravating, but try to start lifting again as I've put on weight and fat.

Cortisone shots in each elbow worked wonders for a few months, but then reality came back with a vengeance.
Image

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:30 pm

PlainTalk wrote:
Whosonfirst wrote:Have to agree with SB Wille somewhat, except on the number of exercises in your regimen. On the tendonitis, do nothing and I mean nothing that aggravates it for six months to a year. Ice it religiously the days you do swings and other movements if it shows even a twinge. Pushing thru the discomfort with elbow trouble seems to backfire.
The PT folks had me doing all this reverse wrist curl, wrist twist and wrist handshake stuff, which directly triggers the aggravation, and then stretch and ice. Didn't work. I think I'll try to figure out what I can do and can't do without aggravating, but try to start lifting again as I've put on weight and fat.

Cortisone shots in each elbow worked wonders for a few months, but then reality came back with a vengeance.
Was thru all the same stuff with PT's nothing worked, esp. anything with high reps or heavier than pink Barbie weights. Shldr. surg. forced me to take a year off..and presto it healed itself. I also now avoid high rep pushups and palms facing chins. Ice and rest, best formulo IMO.

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:
Was thru all the same stuff with PT's nothing worked, esp. anything with high reps or heavier than pink Barbie weights. Shldr. surg. forced me to take a year off..and presto it healed itself. I also now avoid high rep pushups and palms facing chins. Ice and rest, best formulo IMO.
What did you do for the year to stay in shape?
Image

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Post by DikTracy6000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:11 pm

PlainTalk wrote:
Whosonfirst wrote:
Was thru all the same stuff with PT's nothing worked, esp. anything with high reps or heavier than pink Barbie weights. Shldr. surg. forced me to take a year off..and presto it healed itself. I also now avoid high rep pushups and palms facing chins. Ice and rest, best formulo IMO.
What did you do for the year to stay in shape?
Two-handed swings, right up to surgery day..and then resumed maybe 6-8 weeks afterwards..all two handed style. I also walked/ran 3.5 to 4 miles four times a week. I'd walk the flats and ran up the seven hills on my course. Also did one handed presses and snatches with the 16kg. Lots of old aches and pains healed up during that time.

User avatar
dalexan242
Gunny
Posts: 803
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Post by dalexan242 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:21 am

I was suffering from some bad tendonitis in both elbows for about 18 and 12 months (respectively) and it finally resolved itself during the first 100 days after I switched from weights to my Never Gymless routine. Even one stint of 3 months of rest didn't help them. I've now conditioned them back up to where I never even have to put icy hot/Jack's Blue Heat on them and can do high-rep (for me, like 5 sets of 6-7) pullup/chin sessions from the bars instead of rings. They're like brand new elbows.

Before that, I was managing to keep it in check with a combination of icy hot, those tendonitis straps, and 10 minutes of ice after every workout. But if it is bad enough that you are considering taking time off from lifting, you might want to check out callisthenics instead. I know everyone who switches to callisthenics becomes some annoying proselytizing parrot, but just figured I would share my experience.

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:31 pm

dalexan242 wrote:I was suffering from some bad tendonitis in both elbows for about 18 and 12 months (respectively) and it finally resolved itself during the first 100 days after I switched from weights to my Never Gymless routine. Even one stint of 3 months of rest didn't help them. I've now conditioned them back up to where I never even have to put icy hot/Jack's Blue Heat on them and can do high-rep (for me, like 5 sets of 6-7) pullup/chin sessions from the bars instead of rings. They're like brand new elbows.

Before that, I was managing to keep it in check with a combination of icy hot, those tendonitis straps, and 10 minutes of ice after every workout. But if it is bad enough that you are considering taking time off from lifting, you might want to check out callisthenics instead. I know everyone who switches to callisthenics becomes some annoying proselytizing parrot, but just figured I would share my experience.
What was your never gymless routine? Did you do any kind of push-ups?
Image

User avatar
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 20593
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Danny wrote:Have you tried some high rep extensor work with rubber bands for your elbow? Always works well for me along with the flexion/extension work you already seem to be doing. There is also some useful info in the Trigger Point Therapy workbook to help ease or possibly erase the strain. Maybe Andy has some JS magic manna for the elbow.
There some JS elbow stuff in the links Shaf posted the other day. The TPT workbook is magic manna.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Friday, 14th

Run through series again, aim to take out anything that strains elbow. Surprisingly only the renegade row does.

Joint mobility

15 2-arm swings, 1.5 pood, 15 1-arm swings (r,l) 1 pood

6 one arm floor press, r,l, 1.5 pood (right shoulder the weak point)

2 pull up (palms neutral)

6 2-handed front squat, 1 pood (pull down, keep back arch all the way down and starting up, lift with elbows)

7 one-arm military press, 1 pood

one leg, one bell deadlift, 1 pood, 7-7 (r,l)

lying shoulder rotation, palm down, 15 lb. dumbell, r,l 8,8

8-spot 360 degree lunges, no weight, r, l; 10-step walking lunge (5 forward, 5 back); 10-step cross over side lunge; 3-3 kickstand lunge w/ .5 pood r,l

5 slow hindu push-ups

10 pullover, twist, sicilian crunch, .5 pood

4 kneeling wheel rollout

ice elbows
Last edited by Hebrew Hammer on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Taku, week 1, air-dyne, 5 min. @ 3-4; 5 min. @ 5-6; 5 min. @ 3-4; 4 x 90 sec. work + 90 sec. rest; 5 min. @3-4.


3-4=HR ~115

5-6=HR~125

During sprints HR got into 150's
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 am

9:50 p.m., weight 224.5, BF 27%. This is the heaviest I've ever been. Last year I did the Velocity diet and got down to under 210 pounds, then injured my elbows and have been slowly putting back on every pound.
Need to get focused again.



Run through series again, this time upping reps, though still not pushing max, with no more than 30 seconds rest between each exercise.

Joint mobility

15 2-arm swings, 1.5 pood, 15 1-arm swings (r,l) 1 pood

8 one arm floor press, r,l, 1.5 pood (right shoulder the weak point)

2 pull up (palms neutral)

8 2-handed front squat, 1 pood (pull down, keep back arch all the way down and starting up, lift with elbows)

8 one-arm military press, 1 pood

one leg, one bell deadlift, 1 pood, 8-8 (r,l)

lying shoulder rotation, palm down, 15 lb. dumbell, r,l 9,9 (feel this a bit in right elbow, but helps right shoulder, try lying straight arm side raise next time)

(focus on contol and touching knee) 8-spot 360 degree lunges, no weight, r, l; 10-step walking lunge (5 forward, 5 back); 10-step cross over side lunge; 4-4 kickstand lunge w/ .5 pood r,l

6 slow hindu push-ups

11 pullover, twist, sicilian crunch, .5 pood

5 kneeling wheel rollout

Finish 10:22

ice elbows
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:31 pm

8:30

weight 223, bf 27.2

Taku, week 1, air-dyne, 5 min. @ 3-4; 5 min. @ 5-6; 5 min. @ 3-4; 4 x 90 sec. work + 90 sec. rest; 5 min. @3-4.


3-4=HR ~115

5-6=HR~125

During sprints HR got into 170's

Next time focus on rpm's to start setting rpm goals along with hr goals.
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm

8:20 p.m., weight 226, BF 27.1%.

Run through series again, continue to up reps or weight, though still not pushing max, with no more than 30 seconds rest between each exercise. Add rope jumping and hindu squats.

Joint mobility

speed rope, 50 jumps

15 2-arm swings, 2 pood, 15 1-arm swings (r,l) 1 pood

10 one arm floor press, r,l, 1.5 pood (right shoulder the weak point)

20- hindu squats

2 pull up (palms neutral)

10 2-handed front squat (but to heel), 2-1 pood (pull down, keep back arch all the way down and starting up, lift with elbows)

9 one-arm military press, 1 pood

one leg, one bell deadlift, 1 pood, 9-9 (r,l)

lying shoulder rotation, palm down, 15 lb. dumbell, r,l 9,9 (focus on lifting with shoulder, takes strain off of elbow)

8-spot 360 degree lunges, no weight, r, l(focus on contol and touching knee); 10-step walking lunge (5 forward, 5 back)(focus on contol and touching knee); 10-step cross over side lunge; 5-5 kickstand lunge w/ .5 pood r,l

7 slow hindu push-ups

11 pullover, twist, sicilian crunch, .5 pood

6 kneeling wheel rollout

Finish 8:58 - feels good, complete set of exercises with minimal strain on elbows, starting to reach rep/weight levels that require strain.

ice elbows
Last edited by Hebrew Hammer on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:19 am

9:40 p.m., weight 223.5, BF 28%.

Run through series again, continue to up reps or weight, though have reached good points at some exercises, no more than 30 seconds rest between each exercise. Felt "good" sore after last session.

Joint mobility

speed rope, 60 jumps

18 2-arm swings, 2 pood, 18 1-arm swings (r,l) 1 pood

11 one arm floor press, r,l, 1.5 pood (right shoulder the weak point)

25- hindu squats

3 pull up (palms neutral)

9 2-handed front squat, 2-1 poods (but to heel), (pull down, keep back arch all the way down and starting up, lift with elbows)

10 one-arm military press, 1 pood

one leg, one bell deadlift, 1 pood, 10-10 (r,l)

lying shoulder rotation, palm down, 15 lb. dumbell, r,l 10, 10 (focus on lifting with shoulder, takes strain off of elbow)

8-spot 360 degree lunges, no weight, r, l(focus on contol and touching knee); 10-step walking lunge (5 forward, 5 back)(focus on contol and touching knee); 10-step cross over side lunge; 6-6 kickstand lunge w/ .5 pood r,l

8 slow hindu push-ups (need to work on downward dog part)

12 pullover, twist, sicilian crunch, .5 pood

7 kneeling wheel rollout

speed rope 60 jumps

Finish 10:17 - feels good, broke a real sweat, HR got pumping.

ice elbows
Image

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:56 am

10:00

weight 224, bf 27%

Taku, week 1, air-dyne, 5 min. @ 3-4; 5 min. @ 5-6; 5 min. @ 3-4; 4 x 90 sec. work + 90 sec. rest; 5 min. @3-4.

3-4=HR ~105-115

5-6=HR~110 - 25

During sprints HR got into 170's, RPM into low 80's
Image

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 9806
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:46 am
Location: Ft. Lauderdale

Post by TomFurman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:56 am

You should post Taku's intervals in Nuggets if it is not there already.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:22 pm

TomFurman wrote:You should post Taku's intervals in Nuggets if it is not there already.
I'll take a look. It's a great way to build into tabata intervals. I did it once and felt great, and then I lagged off and am starting all over again.
Image

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 38131
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Instead of hindu pushups, consider doing sun salutations, which breaks each of the movements down into a separate position, and holds for five breaths in the downward dog position. This will help you strengthen that position, which you said you wanted to, and the exercise is much easier on the elbows. Also, your hindu squat numbers are very low, do you have knee problems also?
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Post by Hebrew Hammer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Instead of hindu pushups, consider doing sun salutations, which breaks each of the movements down into a separate position, and holds for five breaths in the downward dog position. This will help you strengthen that position, which you said you wanted to, and the exercise is much easier on the elbows. Also, your hindu squat numbers are very low, do you have knee problems also?
Hindu squats are low because I'm just starting them up again along with the rest of the work out. I'll up them by 5 or so a time until I feel like I'm pushing. My knees are in fair shape, though I've had a few injuries.

That's a good idea on the sun salutations. I'd like to work up to the point again where I can do 25 push-ups fairly easy just as a matter of self-respect.
Image

Post Reply