Just Barely Managing...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Damien
Sgt. Major

Just Barely Managing...

Post by Damien » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Intro:
Had surgery done on my left knee almost 5 weeks ago. They did a reefing of the medial retinaculum and the standard arthroscopy, cleaning up the joing a bit and shaving bits off of the outer meniscus.
Can bend the knee to about 100 degrees again and am slowly working on getting the stability, balance and ROM back before I'm back to strengthening it.
It's not too bad since this is my third surgery (the other two were done on the right one) and I had to live with a loose patella for about 8 years now, so I got pretty good at figuring this knee-shit out.

Everything else is pretty healthy though, can't complain.

Doctor's suggested becoming lighter, but I'm not sure about that, since I'm relatively lean anyways at 90kg at 190cm (about 6'3"). May drop a bit more to get down to 85, which should make climbing and bodyweight stuff more fun but nothing focused.

Training focus is strength and conditioning (duh). I have no specific sport as a focus (dropped that some years ago), but I enjoy boxing, cycling, occassional climbing and seasonal swimming.
Boxing has the most focus really. Everything else is purely weekend warrior type of stuff.

Due to structurally sucky knees, the early surgeries and reoccuring patella subluxations on the non-operated knee, my leg strength sucks. Endurance isn't much better. But I'm working on it.

I won't bore you with previous workouts and just go from here.
Weights are kilos of course.

Band Pistols 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
KB Press 32 x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
Pull-Ups +10 x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
Ring Ab Wheel x1/2/1/2/1/2
some shoulder prehab

Notes:
-Band Tension was again two minis for band pistols
-Ring Ab Wheel was 6 lines away from rings
-shoulder prehab was kelso type of stuff
Last edited by Damien on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Re: Rehab and shit

Post by Damien » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Nothing major today. Actually wanted to do some conditioning but I felt completely spent the whole day, so I opted for a fuck-around day.

Did some rear delt stuff and followed it up with some singles on the one-arm bb snatch up to 40kg, nothing big.
Then some yoga (mostly one-leg stuff, the up and down dogs, some neck rolls, shoulder bridging, etc.), a bit of technique work on the heavy bag and some kb swings to cool down.
Threw some handbalancing in there as well. Nothing major, just some basic stands and some walking. No fancy tricks or anything.
Some more rear delt work and I was done.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:52 am

Good workout today. Ladders are awesome and I'm really looking forward to conditioning tomorrow.

Band Pistols 1/2/1/2/1/2
Pull-Ups +15 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
Bulgarian Ring Dips 1/2/3/1/2/1/2
Muscle-Up 5x1
Ring Ab Wheel 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2

Notes:
-Used a mini for pistols. Felt okay.
-muscle-ups were about shoulder width and slow.They're definately harder on the elbows without the kip but okay nonetheless
-wheel was 6 lines away.

Oh yeah, also did some shoulder prehab and rear delt stuff.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:53 am

Good stuff today. Was a bit pressed for time, but since it was conditioning day anyways, that was okay.

3x Circuit:
KB Press 32x5 per arm
Kip Pull-Ups x10
Pallof Press hold two minisx15sec per side
KB Swing 24x20 per arm

Time: 14:45

3x Circuit, 30sec rest between sets:
Band Shadow Boxing x60sec
Rope Jump x50spins

some rear delt stuff and off to the PT.

Notes:
-KB pressing was done otw style
-kip pull-ups on a revolving bar aren't easier than standard pull-ups
-pallof presses suck

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 am

Not much today. Just a big session of joint mobility, some balance training and some handbalancing.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Today was my first try at some flow-type yoga after surgery.
I've been avoiding it, mainly due to my restriction in knee ROM and strength, but since I'm almost back to 100% passive rom, I wanted to give it a shot again.

Shitloads of tension in my left hip and thigh that I need to work out again. Overall hip mobility has decreased a bit of course, but doing something for it again was good.
Of course, I still have some limitations, especially when it comes to transitions between poses, the quad squat, shin box, child pose and whatnot, but wth...

23min Päsärä Yögä

That's it.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:46 pm

Today's workout started okay, but after the first set of exercises I felt nauseous for some reason... a lot.
So the rest of the workout sucked. But some time liter I felt good again, so it's okay I guess.

Band Pistols 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3 alternated w/
Pull-Ups +17,5 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
Bulgarian Ring Dips 1/2/3/1/1
Ring Muscle-Up x1
Ring Ab Wheel some singles
One-Leg Dead 64x2 easy

Notes:
-Used a chocked mini for the pistols
-Will do some rear delt stuff and shoulder prehab later on
-Muscle-Up was done slow, grip a bit outside shoulder width
-Felt way too sick to tackle the ab extension seriously, but some hard singles were okay
-I'll probably start focuing on one leg deads a bit as well. Reason being my lack of heavy weights for real deads and my not-yet-recovered knee. Plus the added ankle work can't hurt. The Two KBs won't last very long...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

Conditioning day today. Tried a bit of timed pressing with the kb but I seriously need to work on the rack again if I want to get better at this.

Shadow Boxing some rounds
KB Press 32x3min r, 2.5min l; 4r/m
Kip Pull-Ups 3x12 30 sec rest, alternated w/
Wall Sit 3x60sec, 30 sec rest
Rope Jump 2x100 skips
shoulder prehab and wrist work

Notes:
-Kip pull-ups on a revolving bar are hell on the grip. You practically need to readjust the hands in-flight to get them on top of the bar again ever 2 or so reps. Last 3 reps on the last set were ugly.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 am

20min JM/band work today...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:32 am

Right knee's been acting up a bit and I feel run over, so I've only been doing some yoga and jm work the past two days.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Been icing and resting the knee the past days and am starting up training again.

Pull-Ups +20 x1/2/3/1/2/1 alternated w/
Bulgarian Dips x1/2/1/2/1/2
2x Cicuit, 30sec rest between exercises:
Ring Fly-Push-Up x8
Kip Pull-Up x8
KB See-Saw Press 24x5
Ring Ab Wheel x5
Band Face Pulls minis x15

Notes:
-Pull-Ups were solid. Leaving some in the tank for next session.
-I'm focusing more on proper execution for bulgarian dips. When pushing the reps, half of them were sloppy, so form over quantity here
-Circuit was good. Fatiguing but good

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:36 pm

I've been meaning to ask; what are Bulgarian dips?

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Mickey, they're detailed on summer's forum. Here

Pretty hard compared to standard ring dips, even with the hands turned forward.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:23 pm

Did a bunch of stuff today. Was on my feet all day, went swimming for two hours (60min of which I probably really spent in the water), took a 2.5 hour walk through the city and park with the girl and the dog and did my workout later on.
My leg rehab stuff will be high volume (gradually building up), lots of variety, medium-high reps mostly.
Kind of BBing style. Once my right (read: good) leg feels better again, I'll throw in some pistol work for that one to keep the strength up.

4CBD 2x3 breaths per pose
Step-Ups 2x15 per leg
Hack Lift 40 2x15
One Leg Dead 64 2x4
Wall-Sit 2x30sec
TKEs 2x15
KB Swings 32x20 overhead

Notes:
-4CBD is sonnon's four corner balance drill (can be found somewhere on bb.com, I'll look it up if someone insists). I'm doing the advanced version with all 5 positions and a rest in leg-folded position beforte returning to the floor.
-Rest between exercises was anywhere between 15-60sec
-Didn't rest the bar on the floor between reps on hack lifts. High reps suck on these.
-All exercises were pretty easy, but the low rest and volume got my legs pretty fatigued.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Damien wrote:-4CBD is sonnon's four corner balance drill (can be found somewhere on bb.com, I'll look it up if someone insists). I'm doing the advanced version with all 5 positions and a rest in leg-folded position beforte returning to the floor.
I insist. Thanks.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote: I insist. Thanks.
There you go. I think it used to be on the Articles section on his forum, but the got deleted once tEh cOrECadRe!11! opened its gates.

I like the drill and practiced it daily for quite a while. Helped a lot on my hikes through ruins while in Turkey and overall balance and leg endurance (that's the reason for me starting it up again to rehab the knee).

Edit: I hold the front lift position again after returning from the dorsal position (on the advanced level), which then makes 5 poses.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 am

Just some active recovery type of stuff today.

5min JM
20min Prasara
5min standing qigong

Felt great. Focused on holding poses for a couple of breaths instead of continous flow during yoga practice.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 pm

Today sucked. Bad sleep, felt beat up the whole day.
Workout was okay though. With that circuit shit I feel ike a BBer...

Pull-Ups +20 x1/2/3/1/2/3/1
Bulgarian Ring Dips x1/2/1/2/1/2 rep-out on ring dips
some ring ab wheel singles
3x circuit w/30-60sec rest:
Body Rows x8
Ring Fly-Push-Ups x8
Face Pulls minis x15
KB Alternating Press 24 x5
Ankle-to-Bars x5

some shoulder and knee traction

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for the links! At the last Ethan Reeve seminar I attended at Wake Forest University Steve Maxwell took everyone through that 4 corner balance drill. I didn't realize that came from Sonnon. Good stuff either way.

Those Bulgarian dips sound difficult. I'll have to give them a try the next time I break the rings out.

Hiking through Turkish ruins sounds like a great time! I hope to do some traveling through Europe at some point.

Have you ever done any yoga besides the Prasara and if so what style and how does it compare to the Prasara?

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:Thanks for the links! At the last Ethan Reeve seminar I attended at Wake Forest University Steve Maxwell took everyone through that 4 corner balance drill. I didn't realize that came from Sonnon. Good stuff either way.

Those Bulgarian dips sound difficult. I'll have to give them a try the next time I break the rings out.

Hiking through Turkish ruins sounds like a great time! I hope to do some traveling through Europe at some point.

Have you ever done any yoga besides the Prasara and if so what style and how does it compare to the Prasara?
I doubt sonnon came up with the drill, but I guess maxwell got it from him.
The bulgarian dips are great. Plus, just letting the hands go out a bit further makes the exponentially harder.

Turkey is great if you want to see lots of ancient buildings.
The greeks were there during their cultural high-time, the roman empire was there (byzantine), the osmanians were there, Christian refugees were there during the early decades of christianity, etc.

I'll be there in summer again to work at the hospital so I hope I'll get to do some sightseeing as well.

Well, I've never done other yoga very seriously, but my father's been doing it since I can think (standard hatha yoga) so I have some experience with that and usually incorporate "normal" yoga into my prasara practice, at the begining, to cool down or inbetween.
I like the dynamic practice of prasara and some unique poses.
It also makes sense to move from asana to asana in a flowing manner instead of getting up, shaking out and getting into the next position.
Builds great mobility but less flexibility than static yoga stretches.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Note to myself:

The knee-rehab thread really got me analyzing my knee situation.
First try I found a bunch of shit that was wrong with my knees, hips and ankles.
It's amazing how you're able to ignore that shit as long as you're feeling fine.

Where do I start?
Well, apart from having weak quads in general, my vmo is overly weak and my rectus femoris seems to be firing hapily everytime I move my leg.
Apart from that, the rectus femoris is also extremely tight. I always checked for hip flexor tightness, but that was okay, but once I bent my knee, I noticed how fucked up my rectus femoris actually is.
Some intense stretching and both knees are feeling better already.

The IT band. Just doing some stretches and some rolling out the trigger points and my knees feel even better. Squatting, walking stairs etc. are much easier, more comfortable, etc.

Glutes are okay, never were a problem.

I don't have a flat foot per se, but apparently (which my pt pointed out as well), I'm putting more pressure on the inside of my feet, which makes my ankles "collapse" inwards slightly. I'm working on that as well.

Oh yeah, though my hams and glutes are strong, the leg flexion function of the hams seems to suck a bit as well.

So... I have a lot to work on but already got some stuff fixed.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:20 am

Good training today.
Volume training is probably the best thing for my leg right now. I can really concentrate on form without having to push myself on every rep. The volume takes care of overload.

Warmed up with some TKEs and rectus femoris stretching.

4CBD 2xfour breaths per pose
Step-Ups 2x15 l; x15, +10x10 r
Hack Lift 50x12, 60x12
1-Leg KB Dead 64 2x5
Wall Sit 2x40sec
TKEs 2x12
some knee traction and amosov squats

Notes:
-One "round" of the 4CBD takes about 1:30 now, +/- 15sec
-Step-Ups were good. Slow, controlled, free foot is kept dorsiflexed
-Elevated my heels on 2.5kg plates for hack lifts. Much more quad tension this way. No resting the bar on the floor between lifts

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:29 am

Due to boredom and excessive free time, I expanded the traction session to include some shoulder and elbow traction.
Then I went through all of the Hartzell vids working along. The stretching and traction stuff is pure gold I must say.

Spent about 20-30min doing that and experimenting around a little.
Great stuff...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Right (healthy) knee feels shitty right now. Rested it today, did some band traction and that's it.
Also did some seated, one-armed band pull downs with two chocked green bands. Good stuff, I like the exercise.
Also did some one-arm negatives on the pull-up and some band presses with the average band.

Finished up with some skipping practice.

Mr Clean
Gunny

Post by Mr Clean » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:33 pm

Damien

Ive been following the knee threads lately because of my own knee problem that cropped up a couple of months ago. To make a long story short I went to the Chiro yesterday, got adjusted and the knee issue is gone. I knew I should have gone sooner.

I did find some good info in these articles:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perform ... _knees&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perform ... aining&cr=