Just Barely Managing...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Damien
Sgt. Major

Re: Simple Training

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Some balance training and ring stability work yesterday.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 pm

30min of joint mobility, yoga and breathing exercises
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Good boulder session today.
Took a good 2 hours. Set a new PR (Fb6a, which should be a V3/4) as well, which is a bit closer to "alright" than before.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 am

Still a bit sore from yesterday.
This lighter kettlebell training is very replenishing. It doesn't take as much out of me as the heavier, more strenous work.
This way I can concentrate on execution and leave my energy for the climbing.

2KB C&FS 24's x1, x1/2, x1/2/3 alternated w/
Club Mills 20 3x3/3

KB See-Saw Press 24's 2x8/8, alternated w/
Club Swipes 20 2x5/5

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:25 pm

90 minute bouldering session.

Apart from training, I've been spending more time on the longboard this past week.
Lots of fun and a more convenient way to get around in the city than a bike.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm

30min intense longboard session, 15min prasara yoga

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:36 pm

2 hours of outdoor bouldering with some intense longboarding thrown into the mix.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 am

I love longboarding. I gave mine away when I moved, but we used to go out almost everyday when I was in college. Either that or go surfing in the red triangle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Triang ... fic_Ocean)

Great workout and a lot of fun, right up until I would barrel into a wall.

Your workouts look much more enjoyable than mine these days.
Whoever would overthrow the Liberty of a Nation, must begin by subduing the Freeness of Speech
- Benjamin Franklin

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Longboarding is awesome.
I'm pretty new to it. Dabbled around on boards over the past years, used to skate more regularly in high school.
For the past weeks though, I've been on the board almost daily (at least for walking the dog and for short commutes). Gets me from A to B faster and adds to my training volume.

Honestly, with a small kid at home, intense coursework and a job on the side, I've found that combining social and training times to be absolutely worth it. Hence I'm climbing with some friends and skating with them as well, plus a training day or two with the weights.

Edit:
I envy you for the surfing location though. I've heard of some great spots there.
Never been too great on a surf board. Never spent much time on one either (more by geographic handicap).
Last edited by Damien on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 pm

30 minutes of calisthenics-type conditioning.
Nothing too intense, just killing some time.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:24 pm

15min yoga in the evening to stretch out some kinks, mostly lower body.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Another 15min of prasara yoga today.
Climbing is planned for tomorrow.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 am

20min Clubbell session with leg-focused work
5min of press/overhead focused weighted walks

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 pm

90 minute outdoor boulder session.
Very rough rock, got a lot of scrapes and ripped open three small spots on my hands. Sucks, but the problems were solid.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:44 pm

15min clubbell work, leg-focus
some push-up variations

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:33 pm

45min intense longboarding on the local airport turned public park. Smooth concrete, slight slopes, burning sun. Was a good lunch break.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:41 pm

30 minute joint mobility session, some yoga

Really stretched/moved out some kinks today in the thoracic spine, hip and ankle. Felt great.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:00 pm

90 minute boulder session outdoors.

Shallow cracks and some slabs. Hard on the fingers and unforgiving when it comes to bad technique...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:36 pm

25min Clubbell routine; squats and swings

finished up with a round of the forward pressure flow, really focusing on fast drops and power production in the catch

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Damien wrote:25min Clubbell routine; squats and swings

finished up with a round of the forward pressure flow, really focusing on fast drops and power production in the catch
This looks good. On Saturday you listed a 30' jm session; would you mind listing what this consisted of? if it's too much to write out no need to worry about it.

Thanks!

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:14 pm

On top of Mickey's request - what does your daily JM/yoga routine look like?
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Daily JM/yoga varies, depending on what I feel I need most.
I really like sonnon's prasara routines and moving yoga in general (sun salutation, moon salutation).

For plain joint mobility, I'm using the basic intu-flow (sonnon) / z-health (cobb) template of joint circles/infinites/clover leaves for each major joint in various planes.
This is a really simple frame work and gets a lot of the "unused angles" of joint movement for me. It also lets me focus on how one particular joint moves and feels at a time.
Usually, I do some breathing focused movement (anatomical breathing squats, shoulder screws, deck squats) and some one-leg standing yoga to finish up.

For the longer sessions, I usually do 5 or so reps of circles, 8's (infinites) and clover leaves for each major joint.

For me, the daily routine has more to do with exploring movement and coordination than really moving every joint through the whole ROM. Since the ROM is highly position-specific anyhow, it probably is a good idea (IMO) to vary the position (standing, one-leg standing, down dog, on all fours, tall kneeling, kneeling, etc.). This also makes the sessions less monotonous and you might even discover something about your movement that you can improve upon.

Hope that was what you were asking for, I can go into more detail, but I really don't have a set plan. It goes more along the lines of playfull movement exploration ala exuberatn animal, without the dancing/wiggling/prancing around.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm

2hr boulder session in gym

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Forward Pressure flow, level 4 x3 in 10 minutes
Forest Flow x4 in 10 minutes

-quick prasara yoga session. Some compensation work during breaks

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:14 am

Built a balance board yesterday, out of an old deck, some wood and pvc pipe.
Works like a charm. Played aorund on it for half an hour yesterday. Some addictive shit.