Just Barely Managing...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Damien
Sgt. Major

Re: Simple Training

Post by Damien » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Very short session.
Worked on some HS presses, from frog stand and inbetween chairs (from a tucked-L).

Then some handstand holds at various heights and some HSPUs.

Threw in some 2kb swings and some wall-sits to finish off.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Re: Simple Training

Post by Damien » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:00 pm

20 minutes of handbalancing work.

Threw in some balance board training, kb swings and wall-sits inbetween sets.
Focus was mostly on narrow handstands and tiger stands.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Re: Just Barely Managing...

Post by Damien » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:23 pm

HS work, focusing on HS presses from a tucked-L between chairs. Managed 6 good reps, using the wall for balance during most attempts.

Finished up with 100 total reps of HS Wall Runs.

Did balance board work between sets, then some 2KB swings with the 24's and finished the session with 3.5min/leg of the one-leg-kata by the exuberant animal guy.

I really like this one-leg routine from EA. Vary adapatable, quite fun and focuses on dynamic balance on a stable ground. Also, leg endurance.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:26 pm

15min yoga session, focusing on hips and spine extension

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Handbalancing session, focusing on Straddle Press HS.
Managed some crappy attempts (having a hard time keeping the legs straight). Then did some negatives.

Finished up with some walking elbow levers (transitioning from one OAEL to the other). I've heard this is called the alligator walk... whatever. It's quite good for shoulder stability in a deep handbalancing position.

Did 2KB C&FS with the 24's inbetween sets, later some double swings and finished up with the single-leg kata from exuberant animal.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Did another handbalancing session, focusing on various long holde of handstands (straddle, yoga, arched, etc.) with some low stance work between sets.
Finished up with some yoga.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:58 pm

some HS press work, focusing on pressing from a tucked-L to handstand

various plyo drills, hip mobility drills and deep squat work between sets

-then did a 30 minute session of circuit training later on, nothing heavy.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:53 pm

90 minutes of bouldering, mostly traverse

some work on the monkey bars and some stretching to cool down

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm

20 minutes of straddle press HS practice, alternated with various ballistic drills and low stance work

Finished up with walking OAELs, planks, KB swings and stretching

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:12 pm

some 32k KB swings
YRG Energy routine
some stretching

Just picked a short routine from the DVD. Not too intense, but got a sweat going.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 pm

30 minute circuit training, mostly leg-focused

then another 30 minutes of recreational soccer.
Good noon break.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:29 pm

2 hour bouldering session indoors.

Managed some nice routes, but ripped open my little finger. Surprisingly annoying.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:13 pm

HSPU between chairs 6x1, some negatives
HS Wall-Runs x60, x40
10min of continous balance board work

finsihed up with some planks

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:40 pm

A solid 90 minutes of cruising on the longboard along the river.

Great way to start the weekend...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm

90 minutes of bouldering, mostly traverse

this was sandwiched between two 30 minute bike rides

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Very solid 2hr bouldering session today.
Some swings and stretching in the evening.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

Yesterday:
Straddle Press HS work: 15min; alternated w/ body flow leg work

15min Yoga Arm Balances

Today:
YRG Double Black Diamond routine 65min

-this is a great routine, surprisingly taxing

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 am

Yesterday 2hrs bouldering

some swings and HeSPUs in the evening

Today just some handbalancing and various locomotion-type exercises

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am

some HeSPU work; close, medium and wide grip sets, 5 reps or less per set, including some semi-solid attempts at freestanding HeSPUs

Finished up with the 12min core workout from the newer YRG dvd.

The following 3 weeks I'll have a bit more time for training, with lowered course load (no more clinicals) and the kid in daycare.

I'm looking forward to these weeks, as the next year is crammed full of to-do stuff (start med school, finish coursework for PT school during breaks, wife is finishing up her master's, new kid on the way). At least I'm able to quit my job-on-the-side...

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:32 pm

some HS wall walks and a 20min prasara yoga session yesterday.

Today I dod some simple handstand holds for time and then sonnon's ageless mobility program.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:58 pm

some full range HSPU work, some negatives, some handbalancing and some swings

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Did some HSPUs two days ago, some handstand wall-runs yesterday, along with heavy KB swings (112kg) and some yoga stuff.
I also took the bike for several rides (sport and commuting) in the past days.

Went to the bouldering gym today for 2 hrs, then did around 10min of yoga to stretch out.

The handbalancing does tire the forearm flexors, and even the biceps. I noticed an annoying weakness during bouldering today.
Guess I'll have to cut down on the handbalancing on the day before going climbing.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:56 pm

some work on freestanding HeSPUs, then the YRG lower body routine followed by the core routine

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 pm

2 hour bike session today, some smaller hills, varying intensities.
We picked a nice route, great view, great weather.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Had a fucking sweet bouldering session this morning. Conquered lots of solid problems, great fun.
Did some bike stuff before and after climbing.