Back to KBs

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Back to KBs

Post by JasonC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 pm

WTH happened to my old log?

I've been wandering around since November, doing a lot of Heavyhands and some Bikram's and JS.

Yesterday's practice session (the fourth or fifth of the last couple weeks, and the first with timed sets):

bwt 155 lbs.

J 16kg 6/min. for 7:00
SN 16kg 15/min. for 10:00
OAJ 24kg 15+15

JS shoulder and back stretches
dit da jow (diedajiu) on wrists and R elbow

volume 279 poods
(This is counting a two-arm jerk twice, since you're elevating two separate bells.)
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Re: Back to KBs

Post by JasonC » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:22 am

Only doing one assistance exercise per day for now.

J 16kg 6/min. for 8:30*
SN 16kg 20/min. for 6:30*
SW 24kg 20+20

* My timer is inaccurate and routinely runs 30 sec. over. Still, I'm calculating V without considering the extra half minute.

total volume: 276 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:30 am

Today's lessons:
a) VF is right: In the jerk, drop the elbows close to the center.
b) I should wear boots to snatch in.

J 16kg 6/min. for 9:00
Good elbow/belly connection on drive. Nowadays the bruises or more on my belly than the points of my hipbones: a little higher and a lot farther in. Must remember to drop with elbows pointing as nearly straight ahead as possible. And for that, I need my palms not to turn out much.

SN 16kg 20/min. for 6:00
Forgot to take off my boots for this, and it was great. Reminded me that the best snatch groove of my life in competition was wearing heeled shoes, keeping feet straight ahead, and not rotating the hand much past 30 degrees on the backswing. That gave me great use of momentum, and pretty much all I had to do to snatch the bell up was "fall back" a little on mostly straight legs--my own bodyweight did most of the work.

OAJ 24kg 15+15
With the elbow higher on the belly, I get a great, solid V to drive off of.

JS shoulder and back stretches
dit da jow and food

Today's volume: 273 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:33 am

Little food, less sleep, but still a decent day's training:

J 16kg 6/min. for 10:30
SN 16kg 20/min for 6:30
Once again, wearing the boots. R hand had easy time making only minimal flick to get the dropping handle into the right place, so that there's virtually no handle movement. Very smooth.

SW 24kg 20+20

JS shoulder girdle and back stretching
dit da jow, Ben Gay (for R elbow, always a weakness for me), and food

Total V: 300 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:29 am

Another day of little sleep and bad food.

J 16kg 7.5/min. for 5:30
SN 16kg 20/min. for 6:30
OAJ 24kg 10+10

JS back and shoulder girdle stretching
dit da jow on wrists, Ben Gay on elbow, food in stomach

total V: 226 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:53 am

Tired.

J 16kg 7.5/min. for 6:30

dit da jow

total V: 210 poods :rolleyes:
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:22 pm

97 degrees.

J 16kg 7.5/min. for 7:30
--For the last few days I've been holding the lockout until the beginning of the fourth second. (So, drive, hold, hold, drop.) This relieves the legs somewhat (see Smet's blog from a couple weeks ago), but as my volume goes up, it's making my arms do a lot of work. It's probably also delaying me in finding a more relaxed rest position in the rack. So starting tomorrow I need to eliminate the extra second of lockout. It'll be drive, hold, drop.
--Getting better. Mustn't over-rotate the lockout. The less the rotation, the more quickly I can do the dump, and the better the hand position for the backswing. Nine or ten months ago I did a 10-minute set at this pace with the 16kg if I wanted an easy day. Right now 6:00 is hard.
SW 24kg 15+15

JS stretches for back, shoulders, hip flexors
Nap

total V: 271 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 am

Other 16kg bell not available today. (Still covered with paint stripper.)

SN 16kg 20/min. for 8:50
--Not jerking first made a big difference.
OAJ 24kg 15+15

total V: 215 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 am

I'm enjoying this. So, am I interpreting correctly that the elbows in the rack are closer to the naval? Are they not on the iliac crest?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:13 am

Hey Doc,

Glad to have a reader.
VF teaches you to drop the elbows as close to the center as you can. They smack the belly and then drift outward of their own accord. What's different for me is that in my last phase of doing timed jerks, I was hunched over more and I think I was really trying to reach downward to far with my elbows. The bruises they left were always right on the hipbone and way below the beltline. This go-round, the marks show up on my belly (i.e. much higher up) and somewhat inside the hip bones. It seems that my elbows are resting on a sort of pillow of guts that gets between them and the hip bones, and it seems to make for a more restful rack.

Of course, this may all go out the window once I start using the 24s again.
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:22 am

Another day over 100 degrees, though things were cooler once I got out there.

J 16kg 7.5/min. for 6:30
--Wearing Sambas today, not my boots with the nice heel.

SN 16kg 20/min. for 8:30
--This was great. I found that I needed to pull upward more. I'd been pulling the bell in a rounder path before, so that on lockout it still had a lot of backward momentum on it and was wrenching my arm back. Naturally, that got tired. Today I pulled more upward and got an extra 2 min. out of the set.

SW 24kg 15+15
--Not pushing this hard.

OAJ 24kg 12+12
--Nor this.

JS stretches for back, shoulder, hip flexor
sleep

total V: 331 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 am

JasonC wrote:I found that I needed to pull upward more.
I discovered this a while back as well. Nice work!

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:04 am

Still having to practice in Sambas. Not quite as good.

J 16kg 6.5/min for 7:30
--Slowing down let me put a lot more thought into my technique. Need to lockout with my hands in a nice, small V. That makes for a good drop, that and trying to think of dropping my elbows pointed forward. Trying to be conscientious about keeping my legs as straight as possible in the rest position. Also being sure not to do the dip & drive so abruptly that my elbows positively bounce off my hips; I last longer if I transition smoothly from the dip into the drive. Oh, and also dropping fast and fairly low under the bells; VF is very insistent about this.

SN 16kg 20/min for 6:30
--Nice work with the L. R hand didn't quite find the groove: vicious cycle of bad lockout (with handle flopped right past my hand's hip) and a chunky, clunky drop.

SW 24kg 20+20
--Comfortable

OAJ 24kg 17+17
--Tried to keep nice, straight legs and a good solid shelf to rest in and drive from. Limiting factor is just the ability to keep the bell in my hand. But for that, I think I could do these indefinitely.

dit da jow for wrists and Ben Gay for R elbow
sauna and hot tub--yeehaw!

total V: 310 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:52 am

Nice cool day in Chico. Once again practicing in these soccer flats.

J 16kg 6.5/min for 6:30
--Not a very "clean" set. One problem (not the only one, to be sure) is with the flat shoes, my heels come of the ground before I finish the first dip, and the rack's not as nice either. :-({|=

SN 16kg 20/min for 8:30
--Again today, R hand doesn't have great form, but this was not a very hard set. Good. Maybe within the week I can punch my ticket by doing 20/min for ten minutes so that I can graduate to something heavier again.
Tomorrow, so iron out the technique, I'm going to slow back down to 15/min for 12:00.

OAJ 32kg 10+10

SW 24kg 15+15
--Here I really got in the zone with my R hand. Like the smoothly whirring gears in a clock.

JS stretches for shoulders, back, and hip flexors
dit da jow for wrists, Ben Gay for elbow
sauna and swim

total V: 323 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 pm

Another nice, cool day. Still wearing Sambas ](*,)

J 16kg 6.5/min for 5:30
--Either I get another pair of heeled shoes tomorrow or I don't J. Stupid to keep reinforcing bad technique.

SN 16kg 15/min for 12:00
--Needed to slow down and sharpen my technique. It worked. I focused hard on pulling in the right direction (viz. up, not in a big backward arc), and in the last minute or two with my R I had to learn again what it means to hang the bell off the heel in the lockout and rest the hand. Also was reminded not to let go of the thumb-index finger circle even during the drop. That keeps the handle from bobbling out of the right position (which keeps it from flopping all the way over the hand-hip on lockout.)

OAJ 24kg 15+15
--Need both legs straight (it can be hard to hold the same-side leg straight late in the set) and body tipped well back so the forearm and body create a nice shelf. Also need to be mindful about locking bell out straight overhead and not letting it drift sideward.

SW 32kg 10+10
--Hardly more than belly button-height. Just want to get used to the feeling of a 32kg swing again. I should continue making either the OAJ or the SW nice and easy each night.

JS stretching for back, shoulders, hip flexor
dit da jow, food

total V: 311 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:15 am

Cool day, but no good shoes yet. Considering bowling shoes on advice of the late JV Askem, but there's a small supply of used bowling shoes for sale in Butte County, CA.

SN 16kg 20/min for 8:30
--R hand in particular was very smooth this time. I was pulling and dropping bell closer to body, and that sure helped my lockout endurance.

OAJ 32kg 8+8
--Harder today.

SW 24kg 20+20

dit da jow & Ben Gay
sauna--AAAAAHHHH

total V: 252 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 am

Long day, but I had a day off yesterday, and some training was clearly going to be better than none (now I feel great).

I am currently the high bidder on a pair of used bowling shoes :finga: which should see me doing the 2-handed jerk again soon.

SN 16kg 20/min for 10:30
--Great, now I can move up in weight. Last time I snatched the 24s for four and half months while only getting past 6:00 three times. At my weight (70kg), I need to transition through a 20kg bell, if only for sanity's sake. (BTW, it was only now, emboldened by CI's repeated posts, that I decided it would be a good idea to vary my rpm/duration combinations sometimes.)
Today I shortened the arc even more and it felt great, esp my L hand. For the first time in, oh, maybe ever, the bell quickly somersaulted over my hand near the top of the snatch, instead of looping through a big, pretty even arc.

OAJ 24kg 16+16 fast

SW 24kg 15+15

quick hang from bar
food
dit da jow and Ben Gay

total V: 293 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:24 am

Won the bowling shoes, and none too soon.

SN 20kg 12/min for 6:30
--Not a huge deal. (Actually, for the record, I'm still 1.5 lbs. short of a full 20kg. Need more pennies.) Still, it was more stressful on my the skin on my hands. Which brings us to...

SW 32kg 6+6
--Yes, a total of just 6 per side. The skin on my fingers was bunched up (only way I can describe it), and I couldn't hang on to the 32.

OAJ 32kg 8+8
--This too sucks without shoes with a heel. My (actual) heels come off the ground way to early in the first dip.

SW 24kg 18+18

hang from bar
dit da jow and Ben Gay

total V: 200 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 am

Extra-sweaty day.

SN 20kg 12/min for 6:30
--L hand a little shaky at end, particularly from sweat.

OAJ 24kg 17+17

SW 24kg 15+15
--Need to remember to ride upswing better.

Hang from bar
Dinner party

total V: 186 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:21 am

Got some chalk, which helps in this sweaty climate.
Jerks await the arrival of the bowling shows, now en route from Maine.

SN 20kg 12/min. for 8:30
--Only the third day snatching 20kg, and pretty easily made the jump to 8 minutes. Man do I like this better than the jump from 16kg straight to 24kg! Still putting all the pieces together at this weight, though: the drop, following the backswing, riding it up, pulling the bell up instead of back, and the lockout.
Maybe this is hubris, but I'm already wondering what number to aim at before moving to 24kg. 200 in 10 minutes won't be easy, but I'd be one mean motorscooter after that. Now that I think of it, I think Marty worked up to 200 reps with the 24 before he moved to the 32, in which case I certainly shouldn't aim for less than 200 at this weight.

SW 32kg 15+15
--This is much better than I few days ago, when I think I swung the damn thing for just 6 reps a hand. The chalk is a help. (BTW, these are not real high swings: about low chest.)

OAJ 32kg 10+10
--Sure, it still feels a little uncomfortable in my hand, but it helps a ton to find a good solid rest position against my hip. No surprise there, of course.

total V: 220 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:30 am

Wow, what a day!

For one thing, I've been reflecting on smet's recent post (http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com ... rance.html). Subtly, it made me approach today's sets differently, thinking of this as an endurance sport, in which you can only perform your best by staying within a sustainable tempo.

On to the sets. I felt pleasantly relaxed on the way home from the office today and brought that to the training session.

SN 20kg 12/min for 10:30.
--This is the third PR in four days. In my form, I wasn't in my ideal groove, but I did realize a minute in that for the last year, I have not been hook-gripping the bell! Unbelievable. I took the forchrissake AKC seminar and wrote it in caps in my notebook, and if you had asked me yesterday, "Do you always hook-grip the bell?" I would have said, "Oh, yes, of course. Any idiot knows to do that." But no kidding, I realized I wasn't hooking it. My thumb touched my index finger, but it wasn't clasping it to the handle. Unbef#$%inglievable. So I hooked it, and I got a fairly easy 10:30. By "easy" I don't mean it was a complete gimme, but by the 2nd minute I realized that I could certainly go the distance if I felt like it.
For maybe the first time in my life I'm going to be smart and not try to follow three PRs in quick succession by jumping to the next level. Tomorrow I'll stay with the 12/min. pace and just do 8:00 and attend to my form.

SW 24kg 25+25
--Hooking these puppies makes a big difference too. Unbef$%$#inglievable. A whole year. ](*,) WTF was I doing...

OAJ 24kg 20+20 over 10 minutes.
--Not a timed set, but it just turned out to take that long. I was thinking of smet's post keeping a nice, relaxed pace. Once again I was reminded that the farther back I lean, the nicer my rest position. Another funny thing: I was helped a lot by looking at the ball there in the rack and noticing how high up it was and how short a distance it had to travel to where I could dip under it.
Oh, incidentally, this was the first day where I resumed warming up for swings and OAJ with the 16kg. It's good practice.

JS stretches
Ben Gay on wrists and elbow
food
sauna

total V: 285 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 am

Nice work JasonC! Congrats on the PRs! =D> I'm enjoying reading about your training.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 am

Thanks, Mickey. I get a big kick out of knowing that some other people actually read this.

Tiring day, but as so often happens, the bells restored me. (Not that I don't want to go to sleep right now, though.) Having a 20kg bell (this is an Etalon) helps a ton.

SN 20kg 12/min for 8:30
--Dropped down as planned after yesterday's almost happenstantial PR. Wanted to work on form, and although it wasn't perfect, I did manage to finish the last minute actually feeling very much in the groove, to the point where I wished I had a couple reps left to go so I could reinforce it some more.

OAJ 32kg 12+12
--This either ties a PR or comes close. Warmed up to it with 16 and 24kg and had a pretty leisurely set. (Alright, the R hand was harder.) Find that not only do I need to think "lean back" in the rack, I also have to think it in the drive. That gets me the best power transfer from hip to bell.

SW 32kg 15+15
--Focus here needs to be not on height of the swing but making it silky smooth. The difference between a rep with a real smooth drop and one where there's even a small wobble feels big.

JS stretches
Ben Gay
food

total V: 228 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 am

Started off very late at the end of another long day, at the end of a very productive training week, so I only planned to do a set of snatches at the new pace. But lo and behold, the bowling shoes arrived so I took them for a little test-drive.

J 16kg 5/min for 5:30
--Feels alright, though I may need another 1/4" on the heels. Today, since I learned that it helps me rest in the rack to lean the bells backward onto my chest, I angled my gaze upward while resting, and it did seem to help. It pushes my hips forward, among other things, and also seems to help relax my upper back.

SN 20kg 15/min for 6:30
--Hard, but there was never any question that I'd finish the set just fine.

Skipping JS and all. Just want some food and water.

total V: 162 poods
leansoliddogs.blog

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:06 am

Back to training the jerk in earnest.

J 16kg 6/min for 6:30
--Forgot to wet shirt, and still not using belt.

SN 20kg 15/min for 6:30

OAJ 32kg 10+10

SW 32kg 15+15
--Remembering the feeling of leaning so far back on upswing that I'd topple over if I weren't attached to the bell.

JS stretches
red wine

total V: 302 poods
leansoliddogs.blog