Back to KBs

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Re: Back to KBs

Post by JasonC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 am

Back to jerking in full kit: bowling shoes, wet shirt, and belt. I bet the babes are drooling over my ensemble. :mmmgood:

J 16kg 6/min for 8:30
--With the belt on, my elbows are drifting back out to where they are: out on the edges of my hips instead of higher on my belly and closer in. I get a much better resting position there, and indeed one of smet's recent posts had a Russian authority saying it's the lower performers who rest their elbows on their bellies, because they restrict their breathing. There are just two problems with this, though:
(a) I don't get quite as good a push-off in the drive there.
(b) The skin there gets pinched badly. I had days last November when I had to skip jerks not because of fatigue or joint soreness but just because my skin was welted too badly to bear.
Also, my bowling shoes need more heel for sure.

SN 20kg 15/min for 8:30
--Moved up to the 8-minute mark. This would have been easy except that it was a very sweaty day and the handles got slippery.
**Interesting lesson here. I took more than a week off from the two-handed jerk, and as you'd expect my snatch progressed quickly. I wondered whether I'd be able to keep that progress once I began jerking again, and I have. Think "underground Lyubertsi bodybuilders A & B workout" system from Pavel's BBB.

SW 24kg 26+26

OAJ 32kg 10+10
--I think I'm getting to the point now where 10+10 with the 32s will be routine and easy. Good.

JS stretches, Ben Gay, food

total V: 374 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:49 am

Short session today:

J 16kg 6/min for 8:30

--Ten minutes won't be a problem, as long as I keep my hands dry.

total V: 246 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 am

In a big rush again today.

OALC 24kg 7.5/min for 8:30

total V: 90 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Work-induced fatigue and days of subsisting on horrible "food" put me in migraineville. Stay tuned.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:01 am

Last week I got behind on work, laundry, and even a little bit of sleep. But the WORST thing I did was leave myself no groceries (especially fruits and veggies) in the house, so that I was subsisting from meal to meal on crap food (pizza and the like). Not surprisingly, I felt run down, but what amazes me is how big the difference was. Two days of proper, veggie-laden food later, I feel great. Oh, and I can resume training too.

Since I had several days of rest (if that's what you can call it), I made today a testing day.

J 16kg 6.6/min for 8:30
--This weird pace amounts to one rep every 9 seconds. (Without my glasses I can't watch a big clock, as is the usual AKC practice, so I listen to a counter.)
I found a decent rack position, in which I can rest my elbows tolerably well and also breathe deeply. (Smet's recent translation said that the better GS athletes breathe diaphramically in the rack. Note though, Sonnon fans, that I am not inhaling deeply, just exhaling a lot and letting the air pressure fill me back up again.) The elbows come close to the belt, I'm leaned well back, and I have the sensation that my arms are wrapped around the bell. (That's because, in fact, they are wrapped around them.)
What stopped me here wasn't arm or leg fatigue. In fact, I needn't have stopped at 8 min, but my form was deteriorating, and my right elbow was now touching the belt and was going to start chafing. I figured 8 min was already jolly good.

SN 20kg 15/min for 10:30
--Not terribly hard. Yes, it was an effort, but not gut-wrenching, and my form stayed pretty good throughout, and by the third minute there was little doubt I'd make it to ten. (By the fourth minute there was no doubt at all.)

OAJ 32kg 6+6
--Ok, by this point I was wobbly and actually lost the bell from my L hand on the sixth rep.

total V: 316 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:47 am

A tough day, but a real breakthrough in the jerk.

J 16kg 6.6/min for 10:30
--My rest position is officially restful! Hurray! Started with my legs tired and shaky because I had just hopped off a bike, but by minute 6 they were actually relaxed and happy! Arms were fine too. The weakest link in the chain is...my feet! Big foot cramps in the last couple of minutes. Even so, this was not a gut-wrenching set, and in the last minute I was still able to pay attention to holding my form together. (Still, a little too much hand turn-out through much of the set.)
Oh, and even though it seems to be good that I let my elbows drift all the way out to my iliac crests, it's still a good idea to do as VF says and have the elbows hit close to the centerline. That way they get a nice purchase on some flesh when they drift out to the sides.

SN 20kg 20/min for 6:30
--First day at this pace, bumping up from 15/min. Again, without glasses I can't see any clock smaller than a stadium scoreboard, so I have to listen to a timer, and moving from 1 rep/4 seconds to 1 rep/3 secs entails a big leap from 15/min to 20/min. Particularly after the 10-minute jerk set (and the 10-minute snatch set the day before), this was hard. The last two minutes of each hand were a struggle.
That's exactly how EVERY snatch set used to be when I jumped from the 16kg straight to the 24s. Very hard. If anyone's wondering, I wouldn't recommend anyone do that, at least not at my light weight (70kg bwt). Having the 20kg one has allowed me to keep training this like an endurance sport and not a 6-minute feat of strength.

That was way the hell enough. I was really blown after snatches.

JS stretches for back, shoulder girdle, hip flexors.
food

total V: 284 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:21 am

Something got to me today, either the two pieces of pizza or the big jerk and snatch sets yesterday. So today I dialed it down.

J 16kg 7.5/min for 5:30
--Not terribly difficult. However, R elbow chafed against edge of belt and got blood all over my shirt. This is what happened all last fall.

SN 20kg 15/min for 6:30
--Not exactly hard, but after that hard set yesterday, this was not easy. Normally it would be a cakewalk. (WTH is the origin of the expression anyway?)

That was plenty for today.

JS stretches for shoulder girdle, back, hip flexors
a little food

total V: 183 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 am

This week was a little off-kilter. Normally Friday is my day off from training, since it's also the low point of my energy. But since I skipped yesterday I made this a training day after all, at least to the tune of a set of snatches.

--Not as gut-wrenching as when I tried this on Wednesday (today I didn't have doubts that I could finish the set), but I was pushing the envelope more than is usual for me this training cycle. Form wasn't great at this speed: imperfect drops, then good backswings & upswings & pulls, and then shoddy lockouts that often had bad hand position (with the achy flopped too far over the hand-hip), too much hand turnout, or both. Also, I often death-gripped the handle and pulled on my callouses a lot.
Still, not horrible. I was panting by the end, but if I had gone for the extra two minutes I'm sure I would have made it.
Tomorrow I'll probably try slowing it down to one rep for 3.5 seconds. (I'll do one rep on the 3 and next on the 7.)

total V: 150 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:45 am

After fumbling my training for another day yesterday, I'm determined to stay fixed to my usual Saturday through Thursday training schedule.

J 16kg 7.5/min. for 6:30

SN 20kg 17/min for 9:25
--Made it for the first 5 min with the L (with a desperate 5th minute because of my grip), I dropped it from my R at the start of the final minute. I'll drop back to 8 min. tomorrow and then perhaps try for 10:30 again on Tuesday. I'll need to chalk my hands and the achy well.

OAJ 32kg 6+6
--These were hard after the snatch set.

JS stretches
Indian food

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:34 am

First day in awhile doing all four lifts.

J 16kg 7.5/min for 6:30
--Remind me to have more heel added to the bowling shoes.

SN 20kg 17/min for 6:30
--This was supposed to be easy but it was kind of ragged, especially on the L, and especially when snatching on the 3-second mark. Alternating 3 seconds and then 4 seconds made good arithmetic sense, but I think it's maybe a bad idea because it keeps me from getting into a rhythm. Maybe it's just better to alternate days at 20/min and 15/min.

SW 32kg 12+12

OAJ 24kg 15+15

JS stretches

total V: 300 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 am

Have lost 3 lbs. and 2% BF in last three weeks, according to my Tanita. (152 lbs. BWT at 14%) Work has been demanding, and I seem to worry about something for most of my waking hours.

Needed a break from timed jerks today.

--Lockout on my L has been rotten lately. The handle just isn't finding the right spot on my hand-hip, and then I think I get over-rotation and wobble. Have been trying to prevent over-rotation on backswing too.

OAJ 24kg 23+23
--The limiting factor here was simply my ability to hold the damn thing in my hand!

SW 32kg 20+20
--Have to remember: prime directive in swings is to practice a silky smooth movement with no hitching and jerking.

JS stretches
food

total V: 299 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:28 am

Boy, something blows with my left hand. Let me count the ways: the handle isn't sitting in quite the right spot, my lockout drifts out, I'm probably over-pronating a little, and the arc of my L-hand snatch is to big and round.

J 16kg 7.5/min for 7:30
--Not bad, but I need to take my shoes in tomorrow for more heel. And I need to remember to relax my hip flexors when resting in the rack, and though I'm benefitting from leaning back far enough to let the bells rest partially against my chest, I can't let that make my weight drift so far over my feet that my damn foot muscles get tired from holding me back.

--Hard. Not "I didn't know if I'd make it" hard, but close. As explained above, form on L side blows. I should be snatching up more than out and around, which probably means following the bell back better and pulling it a little later in its front-swing, but at this pace it's hard to think "technique." R hand quite a bit better than L.

That was all. Legs wobbly.

JS stretches, hot tub, sauna coming up

total V: 256 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:13 am

Didn't feel like training today, but did some anyway.

--Form is still in a slump, but then, my performance in general is in a little bit of a slump this week. I'm not sure how I can progress to 8 or 10 min. at my next speed (every 3 seconds). My reps are only just barely complete by the end of the third second; there's no rest. Worse, perhaps, is that doing one rep every three seconds doesn't leave me time for a second dip; I have to pull the bell all the way up.

OAJ 32kg 10+10

SW 32kg 15+15

total V: 250 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 am

No bowling shoes at hand today, so no timed jerks. Nice cool day. My weight is the lowest it's been since I was 16--at 35 y.o. at 5'8.5" I'm now 151 lbs. I'm certainly not trying to do that (I thought 154 was plenty low enough), but here I am eating squeaky clean (makes a very noticeable difference in my moods, among other things), working hard, and training moderately and consistently, and I'm as skinny as I was since I was a half-assed JV wrestler.

SN 20kg 20/min. for 8:30
-- :vom: This was very hard. I knew I'd make it, but the lung power was keeping this from being comfortable. By the end of the first minute I was feeling it. But my form held together just as well as can be expected at that pace.
Before starting, I remembered that I needed to cultivate a sense of being "hinged at the knees." I don't know why I think of it that way, but it really means that during the drop, I need to have my knees bent and upper body canted back a little. Then during the backswing, the bend comes out of my knees while my head & shoulders rocket forward to follow the bell back. And on the upswing, I rebend the knees some and throw the weight of my rising upper body back against the bell while it's on its way up. I've never heard the other AKC people talk about this, but I seem to have done my best snatching when I do it that way. (Toes pointed dead ahead has also been very important, though hard to monitor at high intensity.) One virtue of that for my current challenge of snatching the 20kg bell 20 times/min. for ten minutes is that it's so fast that I get a half second to rest in the lockout.

OAJ 24kg 20+20
--Not easy after the snatch set, but I got more of my wind back as the set went on. Once again, need to cultivate feeling that the ball is wedged firmly into the V of my elbow and held firmly there by forearm and upper arm. (I.e. it's not just dangling from the top of a forearm that's balanced precariously on my hip.)
I'm seeing the importance now of getting the elbow rested on the iliac crest and NOT the belly. (Yes, this contradicts what I was thinking back in August. See September posts.) As long as that sheet of abdominal muscles is holding up the weight-bearing elbow, it's not free to relax all the way and draw breath. So today I made sure the elbow went to the hip bone and made a conscious decision to relax all those ventral muscles. It does take a conscious decision (I seemed to want to stay tight), but when I relaxed them, breath rushed into my lungs by itself, and then I could push it out and it would rush back in. Three of those and I was ready to jerk again. This is exactly what Scott Sonnon says you should be doing, and he's written that he likes the OALC because it encourages this kind of breathing.

SW 32kg 15+15
--Nothing special. Not pushing real hard; just trying to get a little swing volume with a nice smooth, wobble-free motion.

stretch back, shoulder girdle/lats, hip flexors

total V: 320 poods

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:59 am

Good work! I enjoy the log.

Two questions: What do you mean by hooking your grip around the KB? And WTH is an iliac crest? You sure I have one?
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:10 am

JasonC wrote:SN 20kg 20/min. for 8:30
-- :vom: This was very hard. I knew I'd make it, but the lung power was keeping this from being comfortable. By the end of the first minute I was feeling it. But my form held together just as well as can be expected at that pace.
Before starting, I remembered that I needed to cultivate a sense of being "hinged at the knees." I don't know why I think of it that way, but it really means that during the drop, I need to have my knees bent and upper body canted back a little. Then during the backswing, the bend comes out of my knees while my head & shoulders rocket forward to follow the bell back. And on the upswing, I rebend the knees some and throw the weight of my rising upper body back against the bell while it's on its way up. I've never heard the other AKC people talk about this, but I seem to have done my best snatching when I do it that way. (Toes pointed dead ahead has also been very important, though hard to monitor at high intensity.) One virtue of that for my current challenge of snatching the 20kg bell 20 times/min. for ten minutes is that it's so fast that I get a half second to rest in the lockout.
Interesting. My knees stay bent through the backswing and as the KB goes back my weight is on my heels. In my last session with Cate she talked about your weight moving forward on your feet as the ball comes forward. That made sense because some of the experts we see in internet clips raise one heel a bit at lockout. So, in my Friday snatch session I paid attention to this. It felt like the vertical push from my heels combined with the slight forward movement toward the balls of my feet gave me more of whip type action and my heels rose slightly towards lockout. I'm not saying this is correct at all, just a personal observation.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Eric Bruesch wrote:
Two questions: What do you mean by hooking your grip around the KB? And WTH is an iliac crest? You sure I have one?
1) The thumb rests on top of the tip of the index finger, clasping it to the bell.

2) I'd have to perform a physical exam to be sure :butthead: but you really should have an iliac crest. Feel your hip bone? It's the very top edge of that. (Bop your own sides with your elbows. Hunch over to one side an inch or two if you have to. It's the bone your elbow is hitting.)

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:14 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Interesting. My knees stay bent through the backswing and as the KB goes back my weight is on my heels. In my last session with Cate she talked about your weight moving forward on your feet as the ball comes forward. That made sense because some of the experts we see in internet clips raise one heel a bit at lockout. So, in my Friday snatch session I paid attention to this. It felt like the vertical push from my heels combined with the slight forward movement toward the balls of my feet gave me more of whip type action and my heels rose slightly towards lockout. I'm not saying this is correct at all, just a personal observation.
I'm going to try that today. Getting some whip on this thing sounds great to me.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 am

No timed jerks today, and went easy on the snatches. Lifting in bare feet.

--Not anything like a limit effort, but not fun either.

OAJ 32kg 10+10

SW 32kg 20+20

total V: 232 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:41 am

--I've definitely been over-rotating the lockout. Today I didn't and hence had the bell poised to drop just as soon as I willed it. That earned me about a half-second of rest at the end of each rep.

OAJ 32kg 10+10

SW 32kg 12+12

stretch back and shoulder girdle

total V: 234 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:18 am

Blimey, it's been 10 days! Yes, I suck. I finally got off the treadmill at work, and finally most of my discipline went out the window. Only my eating stayed decent. Everything else--the meditation, the writing, and especially the GS--went nearly out the window.

I'm also going to have to decide what to do about jerks during the winter. Northern California isn't Boston or Cleveland, but by this time of year I also don't want to be outside in a wet t-shirt. Last year I pretty much switched to Heavyhands for the winter. I love HH too, but I don't think I want to let the GS go.

Today's brief session:

--Very different form today. Little bending & re-bending of knees. Instead fell back against the bell on its upswing. That put terrific oomph on the bell, so that I didn't have to dip under it, but it did get tiring, and by the last minute of each hand I didn't have such great control of the lockout anymore. My arm was wandering away from my head sometimes, and my hand sometimes pronated too much. Still, this may just be the way to go. The rep happens so fast this way that I have close to a full second to rest at the top.

total V: 150 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:32 am

Boy, did I lose condition fast! Today I slowed the snatches down and still found 6 minutes tiring.

--The technique I was using yesterday ("fall" back against the bell to fling it upward) is a no-go. It's too sudden, uses too much energy. Seems to me that one of my goals should be to exert as little force on the bell as necessary.
Also seems like I want to keep the elbow of my snatching arm in close to my body on the downswing and upswing. That keeps the path of the bell from getting wastefully loopy.

OAJ 24kg 12+12

SW 24kg 20+20

hang from overhead

total V: 208 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:48 am

A much nicer training day.

SN 19kg or so, 15/min for 6:30
--I took about a kg in pennies out of the Etalon, since I was struggling yesterday even with 20kg at 15/min for 6:30. Tomorrow I think I'll reload it to 20kg and slow down to just 12/min and go for a longer set.
--The snatch as a lot more relaxing for me when I dip to catch the bell. The problem is just that this makes one rep take long enough that it's hard to do 20 in a minute.

SW 24kg 25+25
--Kept it nice and smooth and really enjoyed this set. Not taxing but what I would call "engaging." It definitely holds my attention but it's not downright hard. I seem to do well when I work principally in this way.

OAJ 24kg 20+20
--Sped the pace up here, breathing just once in the rack. Again, a nice feeling: engaging but not very taxing.

JS for shoulder girdle, back, and hip flexors
--I've been skipping this step lately. Not a good idea. I seem to need this to stay supple and happy. I should also be stretching my piriformis and maybe foam rolling my IT bands. I'm standing duck-footed lately.

total V: 205 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 am

Yep, light and long is the way for me.

SN 20kg 14/min for 10:30
--Here the watchword was "Make my snatches like my swings." That is, relax and use maximum momentum, maximum pendulum effect, and don't rush the upswing. SO much better than the misguided "falling backwards to wrench the bell up" technique. Oddly, my L was better than my R, where I got more wobble. (This may be because I always lead off with my L, and when I get to my R I'm not quite as fresh.)
--I fiddled with my timing and managed a 14/min pace even though I'm only able to listen to the clock. I should get better at this, because it really is nice to have more than three widely disparate paces to choose from. Given that I'm having a hard time transitioning from 15/min ten minute set to a 20/min one, it would be great to do some 16/min and 18/min sets.

OAJ 24kg 21+21
--Nothing too special here, except to say that it pays to have a rock solid rack position to push off of. Same pace as yesterday: one breath in the rack.

SW 24kg 26+26

JS stretches for back, shoulder girdle, hip flexors. Also, external hip rotators and piriformis

total V: 315 poods

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:55 am

I got a little greedy today. Yesterday, after a 10-day layoff in which my numbers went to shit, I finally did another 10-minute set, and so today I picked up the pace a little. Experience has taught me that I shouldn't follow a 10-minute set (even an easy one) with another long set. But today I made the 4-minute mark pretty easily and decided to keep going. Either from sweat or fatigue (I noticed I didn't hook my R-hand grip consistently--not sure about L), the last minute of my R hand was hard. Maybe I shouldn't have gone for the long set. So anyway, I cut the workout short after that. (Dan John has an article about a very successful track coach who makes his lifters end their workout immediately any time they PR. Now, this wasn't a PR, and GS isn't near-max weight training, but you get the idea.)

SN 20kg 15/min for 10:30

JS stretches

total V: 190ish poods