Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sofa King

Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post by Sofa King » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Here's the problem: no time.
Really, I'm pushing things right now and see very little opportunity to get work in. It's been this way since August when I discovered that sending my daughter to high school 15 miles away would present problems with drive time (15 miles in So.Cal distance equals about 45 miles for most of you hicks). OC to Long Beach can be a bitch due to I-405. Her volleyball games are in Long Beach and beyond and on the same days as the little ones' soccer practices. In any free time I have, I need to work files for my clients and generate a little income. The one thing I have generated is a bigger waistline.

Add to this my schedule at work has changed eliminating the old 1.5 hour free time I had to train in the middle of the day and you have the dilemma.

What I have is about an hour each day from 2:30-3:30. There is a gym or two near by and I have my ever-handy handleballs.

The plan: Begin another round of EDT. I have and read "Muscle Logic" by Charles Staley and tried EDT about 2 years ago. I liked the plan (2 exercises, 15 minutes, controlled rest, shoot for a new PR every time) because it was simple and flexible. Unfortunately, I had @fit so ingrained in my psyche, I tried to push to far each time with the weight or reps and I ended up constantly hurt (tendonitis of the body was the self-diagnosis). Luckily, I'm smarter now. I'm not afraid to scale back the weight and focus on results rather than ego.

So, I will try to get into the gym (or just stay in my classroom) at least 3 days each week if not more. I will be using the EDT template because I's a retard who likes it simple and I can pick and choose opposing movements at will.
I would also like to add in some JM stuff as I can see how missing my Bikram practice has had its negative effects.

Here goes. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Sofa King on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Re: Charles Staley can kiss my ass

Post by Sofa King » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:18 am

The schedule remains unrelenting.

Yesterday, found myself in a 24hr Fitness because I had time to kill before my softball game.
Did 15 min. on the elliptical and sets of shoulder presses and cable face pulls to warm up before the game.

Went 3 for 3; 2 rbi; 1 run scored. Good game even though we got pummeled.

Should have time for a real EDT session tomorrow.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:56 am

Jeebus! I finally got to the gym today for an actual work session.
First EDT set was SGDL at 155# paired with pull ups (switched to fat man rows after 5 rounds)
Got 10 rounds of 4 dl's and 5 rows in 15 min. Total reps; 40 dl's, 25 rows, 15 pull ups.

Second set was of my own making: clean and push press ladders (1,2,3) using 16kg for 15 min.
got 8 ladders total or 48 reps each side; 96 reps total.

Used the elliptical for a 5 min. warm up.

Feel good so far, but the shoulders will likely be sore as hell tomorrow.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Sunday Sept. 21
Urban Assault: bike to parking structure; 3/4 mile
4 times up the stairs
Three hill sprints once at the top. Worked in some Zercher squats holding the cement post in my arms.
Doubled up on the sprints last time up and did air squats in between sprints (15/10/15).
Rode home slowly. \:D/

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Thurs. Sept. 25.
Actually went to the gym and tried a spin class again. Got bored after 45 min and went out to lift.
Found the deadlift platform deserted (whaaa?) and proceeded to do the following:
All done with 95#
5 power clean
5 push press
6 power clean
6 push press
7 power clean
7 push press
3 power clean
3 push press

Time: 12 min.
Total time: 57 min. Then ate like a motherfucker.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Tuesday, Oct. 7:
98 degrees and slight Santa Ana blowing in from the north. Good day to ride north on the bike trail.
Did 6 miles to the north in about a half hour including a stop at a park for water, sets of pull ups and some Hindu push ups.
Got my turn around at Yorba Regional Park, got some more water and did some more Hindus. Doing them near the public restroom surely got the attention of some nearby users. A CHP even cruised by me on patrol (in the park?).
Did the return trip in about 18 min. and change.
Played softball that night. 2 for 3 and ran my ass off from first to home on a double. Played a three man outfield; this speedster was in center.

Also, jumped back on the IF wagon, but I'm modifying. Went all day yesterday with no food, then ate crap until about 9:45.
Today, some fruit during the day and then a proper meal tonight.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:52 pm

Thurs. October 9:
Mild weather. High 70's with on-shore breezes from the south.
Headed out on the trail for a ride. On the out trip, faced a 8-10 mph breeze. Made 5.5 miles in about 30 min.
Stopped at the park for some pull ups and hindu push ups (5 sets of each; 3/5) got back on the bike and made the return trip in about 23 min. Wind at the back is my friend.
Total time: 57 min.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:28 am

Got in a quick one before the daughter's volleyball match.

10 min on the elliptical to warm up.

6 sets of 5 and 6 of pin pulls starting at 135 and moved up to 275 before coming down to 225 for the last set.

2 sets of opposing ladders c&j 55lb. and pull ups.

Everything felt good, even the pulls.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:34 pm

So much for going back to the IF. With the way my schedule is working these days (up at 5:30, on the road at 6:30 to take kid to HS in Long Beach, then to work by 7:30, work a more hectic schedule than last year, home right away for soccer practices, cook dinner, make lunches for the next day, pass out) the whole IF thing doesn't make sense. Instead, I'm limiting food intake during the day with a light to moderate breakfast (fruit, cottage cheese, nuts); medium lunch (leftovers or a frozen lean cuisine); and regular dinner (something I've cooked using lean meats and always vegetables).
My downfall is the lack of time for regular training.

I'm trying to fill in the gaps with GTG or some handleball work during breaks in the day. Bike riding on the weekends is sporadic, but does the trick. Need to get back down to below 210. Currently at around 215.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:54 pm

A little behind :ANAL: .

Sat. 10-18-08

Biked 2 miles around the area to warm up.
4 trips up the stairs at the parking garage in Downtown Anaheim.
Each trip up did 4 sets of hill sprints with each sprint done with increasing intensity.
One trip featured 2 times up the hill carrying the concrete post without stopping, then 2 more sprints.
In between each round of sprints/stair climbs, I did 5 Hindu push ups and 10 Hindu squats.

I like the increase in density and effort. Felt good the rest of the weekend.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 am

Sat. 10-25-08
Biked 22 miles. Did stretches, hindus, and pull ups at the turn around.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm

November 7:

90 min Bikram class in Fullerton. Felt great afterward because I listened to the body and didn't try to overdo it.

. . .and the instructor was ridiculously hawt. My God.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:09 pm

November 8, 2008. Sunny and hot in Anaheim (78 degrees when I trained)

Rode to the parking structure.
Up the 6 stories 3 times
3 sets of 5 hill sprints
3 sets of Hindu push ups using a parking block as a push up board. Worked really well.
20 min.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 pm

November 11, 2008. Thanks to all who've served.

EDT in the gym
5 min W/U on the elliptical

First round:

3 Pull ups/5 goblet squats (then 8 after 2 rounds) with 45lb DB.
12 rounds. Totals: 36 pull ups/90 squats

Second round:

4 suitcase deads with 65lb DB on each side
4 push press with 45lb DB each side
10 rounds for 40 deads and 40 PP's, although I went to 5 on some rounds because I lost count.

Nice work when I can get in. Total time in the gym, no fucking around, 1 hr. Should feel this tomorrow like an @fitter after his first Fran.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 am

EDTSTYLE

In the fucking overcrowded gym with technohiphoprapshit playing. Forgot my fucking iPod.

15 min.
60lb thrusters
pull ups
5/3 split 11 rounds.
Good little heart rate jumper if not exactly challenging. Fucked with my shoulder earlier this week.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 am

Working out once a week is getting fucking ridiculous.

Read what Shaf said about the ab g-d and his use of the Circuit, so I thought I'd give it a try. Old guys like me, with no time and no patience for gyms, need something that keeps us going without much rest and lugging around to do. As much as I hate using machines, I can see the utilitarian purpose when doing something like this. Besides, you don't have to search all over the gym for the other 45lb dumbbell or the 5lb plates when you want to adjust. Just have to move the pin.

Did something like this: superset shoulder press and bicep curls, 15-10-5, with moderate weight.
superset chest press with rows 15-10-5; superset squats and tricep pushes 15-15-15. Did that after a 5 min warm up on the elliptical. Not bad and I was in and out in less than 1/2 hour.
Went back later and did 10min on the elliptical then supersets of isolation incline chest press and single arm pull downs 15-15-15; superset ab crunches and back extensions, 15-15-15.

Worked up a light sweat and felt fine. My shoulders are fucked up so some movements were a little dicey. This should get easier as I work though this. Trying again tomorrow. . .hopefully.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:16 am

Did the ab g-d Circuit at the 24hr fatness right before rush hour. Let me say this about commercial gyms: they're a necessary evil for a guy like me without the garage space or a basement or a lot of money to buy weights.
The problem is the packs of meatheads who roam the gym picking up dumbbells at random and placing them all over the place. They are like really dysfunctional gym decorators and they must be stopped.

Now, the Circuit I did:

push ups (25 knee, 15 regular, 10 feet elevated)
rotator cuff external rotations 25/25/25

pull ups (25/15/10) turned into jumping pull ups after about 10 on the first set. Not good
bicycle crunches (I guess these are knees in the air like your pedaling, it's what I did)

BW rows (25@45*/15@60*/10 flat, just like g-d himself)
calf raises (25BW/15 w/2 35lb plates/10 w/ the plates. . .felt sort of ghey)

goblet squats (all with 20lb. 25/15/10 too easy. Adding weight next time)
lying rotator cuff internal rotations (25/25/25)

dips (ugh 20/15/10 not full depth as my shoulders hate these)
curls (25/15/10. . .again, ghey, but I did them and now I'm buff)

lunges (26 BW/ 16 w/10lb plates/ 10 w/plates I wasn't sure if it was 25 each leg or 25 steps, so I did 13 each leg. Because it seemed a little easy, I'm guessing it should have been more. Again, had to walk around meatheads)
sit ups (25/25/25)

deadlift (25@ 90lb/ 15 @ 100lb/ 10 @ 105lb. Hated it)
dead bug knee raises (see Mike Robertson) 25/25/25

Didn't get to the last pair, leg raises and kickbacks. In all a good workout, if not totally taxing.
I like the pairings and will likely play around. I guess I broke 600 in reps, so not bad.
I can probably add weight in some areas and eliminate the pull ups completely so I can work on range of motion on other movements.

Wait, that sounded like an @fitter. Shit.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:13 am

Banned wrote:Did the ab g-d Circuit at the 24hr fatness right before rush hour. Let me say this about commercial gyms: they're a necessary evil for a guy like me without the garage space or a basement or a lot of money to buy weights.
The problem is the packs of meatheads who roam the gym picking up dumbbells at random and placing them all over the place. They are like really dysfunctional gym decorators and they must be stopped.

Now, the Circuit I did:

push ups (25 knee, 15 regular, 10 feet elevated)
rotator cuff external rotations 25/25/25

pull ups (25/15/10) turned into jumping pull ups after about 10 on the first set. Not good
bicycle crunches (I guess these are knees in the air like your pedaling, it's what I did)

BW rows (25@45*/15@60*/10 flat, just like g-d himself)
calf raises (25BW/15 w/2 35lb plates/10 w/ the plates. . .felt sort of ghey)

goblet squats (all with 20lb. 25/15/10 too easy. Adding weight next time)
lying rotator cuff internal rotations (25/25/25)

dips (ugh 20/15/10 not full depth as my shoulders hate these)
curls (25/15/10. . .again, ghey, but I did them and now I'm buff)

lunges (26 BW/ 16 w/10lb plates/ 10 w/plates I wasn't sure if it was 25 each leg or 25 steps, so I did 13 each leg. Because it seemed a little easy, I'm guessing it should have been more. Again, had to walk around meatheads)
sit ups (25/25/25)

deadlift (25@ 90lb/ 15 @ 100lb/ 10 @ 105lb. Hated it)
dead bug knee raises (see Mike Robertson) 25/25/25

Didn't get to the last pair, leg raises and kickbacks. In all a good workout, if not totally taxing.
I like the pairings and will likely play around. I guess I broke 600 in reps, so not bad.
I can probably add weight in some areas and eliminate the pull ups completely so I can work on range of motion on other movements.

Wait, that sounded like an @fitter. Shit.
You felt ghey doing curls and calf raises, but not knee pushups?

You're right, it's not that hard at this point, just easing in and figuring it out.
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Good point. I was afraid to test my shoulders so early in the circuit. Once I warmed up a little, I realized I could have gone the distance with the push ups.

Again, on the plus side, my arms are all buff and shit today.

I'll keep tweaking this as well.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:36 am

ab g-d wrote: You felt ghey doing curls and calf raises, but not knee pushups?
=D>

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Yes, yes. Yuk it up at the weakness of the old guy.

Today: rode the bike to the parking garage for some sprint work.
4 rounds of the following:
Up 6 stories of staris, 5 hill sprints with some footwork and mobility on the way back from each sprint, ended each round with either 15 push ups and lunges (done going up the ramp for 30 steps) or Hindu push ups and squats.

33:18 total time. Good work today.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 am

Back to the Circuit.

Modifications: Very few. All push ups done regulation or harder; last set was feet elevated. Dips were done on the bench as shoulders hate these now (I blame @fit). All pull ups were regulation this time; no jumping pu's for me this time. Curls were with 25 lbs and left me shaky. Goblet squats were done with 25, 35 and 45lbs. Rows were at 45*, 60*, and flat. Finally, per the ab f_x, I did 25 lunges each leg BW, 15 with 10lb DB's, 10 w/ 10lbs. All sit ups were, well, sit ups.

The circuit was cut short after about 45 min due to bed time for kids and crowded gym. Still, I like what this type of workout presents. Varied exercises that I can plug in and exchange, weights I can handle and build up, and a full body routine with little or no stopping. I'll be keeping an eye on the Foxxy one for variations and new challenges as I have no imagination when it comes to this shit.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 am

Did the Javorek complex #5 as prescribed by the ab g-d.
Used the same weights, but no modifications as I had a bench to use.
2 rounds 15
2 rounds 20
2 rounds 25
Time: 25:28
A little slower than the g-d, but still respectable in my mind. I liked how it seems so easy during the first round using 15lb db's and increases to hand numbing agony by the end. I was pouring sweat each time I got to the step ups (in a gym that was about 70 degrees) and was glad for the bench work as it was a rest.

As for the ab work, I just kept doing 10 to 15 reps of various exercises like Swiss ball sit ups, hooked leg sit ups, half ups and half downs, jackknife crunches, back extensions, and hanging leg raises. Did that for about 8 min.
Next time, I think I'll mix in some bicycles, incline leg lifts, and some stuff from Cosgrove (the dude is a marketer and a slight huckster, but he's got some great material).

In all, I was in and out of the gym in about 40 min including warm up. I like the variety and combinations this presents moreso than the "circuit," but I'll likely do that as well on certain days.

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Banned wrote:Did the Javorek complex #5 as prescribed by the ab g-d.
2 rounds 15
2 rounds 20
2 rounds 25
A little slower than the g-d, but still respectable in my mind. I liked how it seems so easy during the first round using 15lb db's and increases to hand numbing agony by the end. I was pouring sweat each time I got to the step ups (in a gym that was about 70 degrees) and was glad for the bench work as it was a rest.

As for the ab work, I just kept doing 10 to 15 reps of various exercises like Swiss ball sit ups, hooked leg sit ups, half ups and half downs, jackknife crunches, back extensions, and hanging leg raises. Did that for about 8 min.
Next time, I think I'll mix in some bicycles, incline leg lifts, and some stuff from Cosgrove (the dude is a marketer and a slight huckster, but he's got some great material).

In all, I was in and out of the gym in about 40 min including warm up. I like the variety and combinations this presents moreso than the "circuit," but I'll likely do that as well on certain days.
Nice work on both and I will make every attempt to keep them coming. Where are you pulling the Cosgrove from? I know he has a book in Borders, but I never really looked at it. Worth it?
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:09 pm

ab g-d wrote:
Banned wrote:Did the Javorek complex #5 as prescribed by the ab g-d.
2 rounds 15
2 rounds 20
2 rounds 25

Nice work on both and I will make every attempt to keep them coming. Where are you pulling the Cosgrove from? I know he has a book in Borders, but I never really looked at it. Worth it?
Thanks. These Javorek complexes are right in my wheelhouse.

I have both "Afterburn" as an e-book and "The New Rules of Lifting." The ab and stability moves come from Afterburn. It's an otherwise disappointing e-book.