Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sofa King

Re: Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post by Sofa King » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:28 pm

9-22-09
Morning dose of Vit D. About 45 min in the gym doing the elliptical for w/u and the Javorek complexes. Finihsed off with vinyasas and walked out sweating like a pig.
Took the late dose around 9pm. Slept soundly and had trouble waking up.

One thing I have noticed is the increase in the immune system. Everyone is catching colds except me. Probably a combination of things and not just the D. The increased work capacity could also have something to do with more gym visits, but the increase in lean tissue is getting noticable through the layers of fat.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:38 pm

9-23-09
Took the late dose right before bed last night. Sleep was great again, but this time I was able to wake right up, early even, and get going. There seems to be a noticable change in recovery with the D. Been on for over a week and so far I like the way I feel with the 4000 daily dose.

Yesterday, did a brief workout with a 5 min warm up then unilateral DB stuff (bench and rows) for 4 rounds. DB squat cleans and shoulder press to finish.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:28 pm

9-24-09
Had about 25 min to do what I could do in the gym. Warmed up for 5 min. and went at the DB Bear for about 15 minutes (DL, full clean, thruster 5 reps each, 8 rounds). It's taking a while to get back into a groove when I do these types of sets. I'm getting winded a little easier right now.
Did some snatches with 35 (5 reps each arm/5 sets/no stopping).

Feel good today. I do think the D helps with recovery by allowing the body to rest fully during sleep.
It's a theory, but it's all mine.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 pm

10-6-09
Still sticking with the 2000 IU in the morning and 2000 in the evening. Told my wife who immediately said I should be taking no more than 400IU a day. I repsectfully disagreed with her based on what I have read. Shit, even that Dr. Oz character on TV takes 1000IU a day, and he's like 5'6" and a buck-fifty.
A strapping male like me can handle 4000IU. When I switch to the gelcaps, I might cut back to 2000IU.
Still feeling the benefits at night and in my workouts.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I weigh 155# and take 6000iu to 8000iu a day. Usually around 6000iu. Everything I have read says you can possibly take up to 10,000iu a day with no fear of overdose.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:48 pm

I should've seen this earlier.
Thanks Mick.

4.8 mile hike through Peters Canyon Park in OC with daughter #3.
Going to the gym to do some old man work like an ab g-d.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 am

W/O 2: Fucked around in the gym.
10 min elliptical
15 min. of
3 pull ups
7 split squats each leg (rear foot elevated)
5 clean and press each side (18 kg) Also did 5 push ups for a few rounds

6 rounds taking my time. I've been doing things like this for a while when I go to the gym; seems the ab g-d does it too.
Then went to the squat rack for some RDL's that hurt my back and hips. Settled for some box squats with twinkie weight.

Also did a load of vinyasas in between.

Just, he does it better.

Observations:
1. People who use the term "Globo Gym" are ghey.
2. There is nothing better on tacos than Pico Pica hot sauce.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 pm

12-22-09

YRG FB 40 min. Off to run a basketball practice.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:42 pm

12-23-09
Upped the vit D to 6000 IU/day to see if there is a difference. I don't think there'll be one I can feel; probably just better for overall health.

Today; general gym fuckery.
10 min elliptical w/u

5 rounds of:
3 pull ups
7 "Bulgarian" split squats each leg (last 2 rounds added 10 lbs)
5 knee-to-elbows (ab g-d stiley)
5 clean and press w/40 lbs each arm
15 min.

3 sets of 5
RDL's wide stance, normal stance, wide grip; all with 135 to 145#

3 sets of good mornings
up to 8 reps per set. Trying to get the back, hammies, ass, and hips back into the game.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 pm

In honor of @fit, the following:

Cleany

Clean the kitchen and downstairs of your home for time.
Post time to comments.

1:30:00 No breaks for coffee or TV. Even did windows.

Happy Holidays to one and all, whomever you are.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:08 am

12-26-09

Didn't get to do the work in the park like I wanted to. Instead, came home and did 40 minutes of yoga. Mostly vinyasas and some rehab work for the shoulders. Now if USC would just lose. . .

ab g-d

Post by ab g-d » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Those circuits a ab g-d approved (tm).
Growing old is not for sissies.

"I'm just here to regulate funkyness"
James Gandolfini in The Mexican

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 am

ab g-d wrote:Those circuits a ab g-d approved (tm).
Sweet. Now if I could get the diet in order, I'd have g-d like abs to show for the work.

Yesterday:
Rode the bike around the hood for about 20 min. Stopped in the park and did this for 15 min:
Sprint 60 yds (x3)
push ups
split squats
sprint again
pull ups
sprint again
box squats
sprint again
box squats
sprint
push ups

It was fun.

Today:
Hiked in Santiago Oaks Regional Park. Did the Oak trail and its 3 climbs, then took the wrong single track to get back down.
Ended up hiking about a mile out of the way. Good workout, though.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:12 am

Today:
Did the series of moves from the Moving Toward Balance book. Took about 40 min to work through all the poses in all three variations.
Going to try and stick with the program as a supplement to training; not as the end to the means.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:56 pm

12-30-09
I've been doing a bit of kipping from others' logs. So. . .
W/U 5 min on the C2. I used to hate the C2. Probably from my @fitting days when they'd have you row a 5K for time, no matter how bad you were at it. Today, took it easy and rowed just over 1K in 5 min. Good warm up; I'll work up from there.

About 10-15 spine rockers with Bikram sit ups. As expected, they were good for what ails me. . .my back usually.

ab g-d approved circuit:
3 p/u (gone back to sucking at them)
6 split squats per leg with 10lb added weight
5 knee-to-elbow
5 clean and press each arm with 40 lbs.

5 rounds in less than 15 min. Trying to add weight and rounds as I go. Easing back into this type of training, but it works.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:31 am

Last chance at 2009:

Done at mother's beach in Long Beach, CA. Temp: 70 degrees.
Awesome day.

Walked 2 miles and did about 10 stair-climb sprints.
At the top, each time, did squats, vinyasas, warrior pose, anything to make the recovery "active."

Good luck in 2010 to all.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 pm

First of '10

1-3-10

Biked to the parking garage nearby.

Ran the stairs, did 5 hill sprints, did some Hindu pushups, squats, go down the stairs.

Repeat 3 times in 15 (or so) minutes.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Last night:
1-4-10

7 Min on the C2. Added 2 min over the last warm up and got to 1500m with an easy 25ppm pace.

10 rounds of:
3 pull ups
3 clean and press each arm with 45 lb.

then
DL practice. Just wanted to get the feel back, so no big weights.

Also, verified that my weight is 225 on two different balance scales. Guess my friend's scale is off. . .by 10 pounds.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:30 pm

1-5-10

Quick trip to the gym.
10 min on the elliptical; sprinted the last minute and got the HR up to 147.
Did some yoga postures for about 10 min.
5x5 box squats with light weights. Again, building these back to some respectability after a couple years of detraining them. Mixed in some split squats and one-legged DL's to keep warm.
Ended with those Maxwell/ab d-g spine rockers and Bikram sit ups.

Total about 45 min at 9:00 pm. Felt good and slept well last night. Almost too well.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 am

Just read some of Buckethead's thought-provoking posts. I've never been "goal-oriented," so I like the idea of direction and centering.

With that in mind, I'm moving my training into more strength training than GPP. I'll be using the yoga as a way to stay mobile and to keep the joints oiled. I'm also supposed to run in the Camp Pendelton Mud Run in June with a neighbor. This means I'll still need the GPP, but since I hate endurance running, I'm going to have to figure a way to get ready.

I figure to listen to my body while still pushing it at times. This all seems like a head clearing time for me.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:51 pm

1-11-10
Last night:

10 min on the C2 @ 24-25 spm. Good warm up.

DL
5x5 upped the poundage a bit. Still waaaaay under where I should/want to be for general strength, so no poundage listed. Suffice to say I am progressing, and the lifts (even the heaviest. . .ok 195) seemed easy. I took CNP's advice and started the lift at knee level, lowered it, and started from there without stopping. Back felt fine.

Then:
Did a EDT circuit consisting of:
6 BW rows
4 OA clean and push-press using 50lb.

7 full rounds and 1 round of 4/3 each arm in 15 min.
Finished with spine rockers and some vinyasas.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 pm

1-14-10
Mid-morning break

10 min of clean and press then snatches with a lighter handleball just to keep moving.

10 min of guided meditation using Kelly Howell stuff. I really need to learn how to relax. My mind seems incapable of shutting off enough to enjoy the relaxation. Also working on the honesty seems to work in other areas.
Monday I had enough of the stupidity at my worksite. I had to speak up and call bullshit. Normally I would just sit by and let it go. I honestly feel I need to be more assertive, especially in my professional life. This is a start.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 pm

1-14-10 Last night:

21 min on the elliptical trying intervals (who knew there was a setting for that? I always just press "manual")
Vinyasas to work out the kinks; mainly sun salutes and up/down dog.

The squat rack was occupied by a douche doing his upright rows with all of . . .75lbs (bar included); so, I decided to give the leg press a go. Haven't done these for about 4 years, maybe more. Went like this:
7x180
6x270
5x360
5x410
5x410
Felt good; good depth; back was OK with it. Should start a little heavier if I do it again. Just wasn't sure where to start after being away for so long.

Finished off with 10 min of the barbell Bear complex my way.
5 DL
5 power cleans
5 push press
3 rounds with 95#; 2 rounds with 75#. Brutal way to finish the lifting portion.

Did some more vinyasas on the way out.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Saturday morning quick-stop: 1-16-10

20 min on the elliptical done at a med-fast tempo (btn 150-180 rpm). Heart rate was around 156 towards the end.
Avg HR was 135. Felt good. Haven't really pushed it in a while. Today seemed like a good day to try.

Vinyasas to loosen up.

10 min of pull ups (3-4 per set) and squats of various shapes and sizes (split, regular, overhead).

35 min total. I like the fact that I'm finding some time to get in and get my work done. Most spend their time in the gym waiting for the next treadmill. I laugh. :happiness:

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 am

1-18-10

40 min of yoga between dentist and optometrist appointments. Just what was needed.