Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sofa King

Re: I Don't Know What I'm Doing, But I'm Sure Having Fun

Post by Sofa King » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 am

1-6-09

YRG 40 min. Me likey.
Starting is tough, but you feel so good at the end.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 am

1-7-09

YRG 40 min. Going to ride this train for as long as I can. Really trying to nail the poses for the duration and work up to the 10 sec. push up from a full plank. Harder than it sounds, especially toward the end of the workout after 2 series of warrior poses.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 am

1-8-09
In the gym. . .in January. . .it sucks.

15 min on the elliptical watching the BCS game.
Then, decided to do some DJ ladders for the hell of it.
40lb DB clean and press/pull ups
5 ladders in about 10 min.
Interesting. I usually have to do a push press with anything heavier than 30lb due to shoulders being fucked.
This time, could press the 40 easily. I blame the yoga. It has already begun healing.

Followed with some rotator work and got the hell out.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:18 am

1-9-09

YRG 40 min.
Just what the dr. ordered. Muscle spasm behind the right shoulder blade is still bugging, but not limiting.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:54 pm

1-9-09

YRG 40 min. Tough to start after a long weekend, but felt great.
So far almost 30 days of YRG and little else. I'm making progress in the poses and can do all the push ups up to the 10 sec. one. When I started, only the first 3 sec. push up was doable. Also, no knees for the standing poses. All sranding, all the time.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:29 pm

1-13-09

YRG 20 min.
Pushed for time today. Travelling to watch daughter's game in Burbank. Noticed that the 20 min w/o can still kick my arse.
Ordered 2 more yoga DVD's today for variety.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 am

1-14-09

YRG 40 min. after a busy day at work (aside from needless IGx posting).
Was tired and tried to talk myself out of it. Thought better of it and did it.
Feel pretty good. Also, right shoulder is beginning to loosen up and muscle spasm in chest/shoulder blade is popping.

All is well.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 am

1-19-09

Jeebus. No work since Thursday. Plenty of drinkin, tho.

YRG 40 min.
Detoxing the bod after a good weekend. :supz:

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 am

1-21-09
YRG 40 min. Really worked on the poses to feel the stretch and strength. Worked pretty well.
Apologies to those sick of yogatalk. I'm still pretty hyped on it. \:D/

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:34 pm

1-22-09
YRG 20 min. This is too easy now. It's 40 or more from here out. I was using a thick mat and kept losing my balance. Too much cushion for the pushin'.

Also did some jumping squats, light snatches and presses during the day to release frustration (better than killing a kid) and band rows for the rotator cuff.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:55 am

1-23-09
Tried my new yoga DVD today. Did the intermediate/advanced workout for 48 min. It's a flow type of workout with way more poses than the 40 min. YRG. I like this one and can use it when the YRG gets to be routine. It's geared toward releasing the neck and shoulders and does deliver the goods. My shoulders felt the work right away and I can already feel more flexibilty.

It may seem ghey, but this yoga stuff is doing the trick for me. \:D/

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:34 am

1-28-09

Yoga for Tight Shoulders and Neck: 48 min.

Worked up a sweat in the vinyasa work. Shoulders really feel the stretch and fascia release. Adhesions must be breaking.
Good work, but for a workout I prefer YRG. I want to give the Power Yoga DVD's a run tomorrow or Friday.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59 pm

1-29-09

Progressive Power Yoga (beginner series) 40 min. Right. Beginner. Sure.
The DVD goes into some postures I'm sure I'll never do involving handstands, shoulderstand, and other suspended postures. The rest was very good and challenges the balance. I'm better off sticking with YRG and the Shoulder DVD for now and working my way up to these.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:05 am

1-30-09
YRG 40 min. Back to what challenges me and to what I enjoy.
Good progress still happening. Body is going through some realignment as I hear pops and cracks every once in a while.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 pm

2-1-09
Pre-Super Bowl workout (it's an annual thing)

Municipal beach, Long Beach CA. Sunny, 65 degrees. Light breeze.

Ran the stairs a total of 5 times (about 150-180 feet of stair climb); did 7 hill sprints (about 60 yrds each at a steeper angle than my parking structure runs); one set of on/off sprints in the sand at the end. Throw in about a mile of walking and you get 30-40 min of continuous movement and HIIT work.

Went home and ate my fill and drank 6 Budweisers. If Arizona had won, it would have been perfect.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 am

2-3-09

YRG 40 min. Finally worked up to the 10 second push up. Funny thing about YRG is that it gets you to do superslow stuff without you knowing. The push ups and the isokinetic stuff turn out to be super effective.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:19 am

2-5-09

YRG 40 min. Did it after some warm up movements with the Power Yoga DVD.
Good times.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:26 am

2-6-09

Yoga for Shoulders and Neck. Good vinyasa flows, good shoulder work. Lots of energy afterward.
46 min.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:06 am

Sofa King wrote:1-29-09

The DVD goes into some postures I'm sure I'll never do involving handstands, shoulderstand, and other suspended postures. The rest was very good and challenges the balance. I'm better off sticking with YRG and the Shoulder DVD for now and working my way up to these.

I've found one of the pitfalls of yoga dvds is that there isn't enough instruction on how to work up to these poses. If doing them was a goal for you, then you may need to read around yoga or gymnastic sites to get some suitable substitutes. There's obvious stuff you can do, like using walls for support etc, but I think additional work often helps too - front bridges for head-stands, for example, or teetering onto the hands for hand balance work, (bad description, sorry). Building practice in without ruining the flow is a challenge though... Sorry for cluttering up your log. Good luck with your training.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:06 am

Edit: double post...
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm

odin wrote:
Sofa King wrote:1-29-09

I've found one of the pitfalls of yoga dvds is that there isn't enough instruction on how to work up to these poses. If doing them was a goal for you, then you may need to read around yoga or gymnastic sites to get some suitable substitutes. There's obvious stuff you can do, like using walls for support etc, but I think additional work often helps too - front bridges for head-stands, for example, or teetering onto the hands for hand balance work, (bad description, sorry). Building practice in without ruining the flow is a challenge though... Sorry for cluttering up your log. Good luck with your training.
Not cluttering at all. I was getting frustrated with the complicated moves anyway. Those are good suggestions and I have two books on the way as we speak. One is the Yee book on moving toward balance and the other is an anatomy book with tons of poses and how they effect the body. I should be able to work around my limits until I can master some of the more difficult poses. I've only practiced yoga for about 10 months, so my practice is in its embryonic stage at best.
Today:
2-8-09
YRG 40 min. Finally seeing progress in reverse triangle and the 10 sec. push up. I weighed myself last night at my daughter's basketball game (there was a scale in the coach's office). 225 at 6'3". Not a fatty, really, but heavier than I like to be. I think this is still less than what I weighed before the regular YRG 6 weeks ago coming out of the holidays.
I'll weigh in again in about a week to see if there was any progress.

Sofa King

Re: Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post by Sofa King » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

2-9-09

First: YRG 20 min as a warm up and just to move. Worked on getting the poses deeper, especially in the hips.
Then: 90 min of pick up basketball. The church where my son plays has open gym every Monday. Mainly guys in their 20's, some younger (high school ballers and recent grads), and some older (early 30's, used to play ball). The there's me.
46, played one year of HS ball; played men's league and pick up; haven't played for about 2 years.
Held my own, especially on defense against younger and faster guys. If I've learned anything in my years of playing it's that if a guy is younger and faster and can jump out of the gym, the only way to defend him is to keep your body on him when the ball is in the air.
I frustrated some 6'4" kid who could dunk just by staying infront of him on rebounds. He would get a running start and pick the ball off about a foot over the nearest guy. I just leaned on him and prevented that.

Worked about 4-5 times. Other than that, he torched me for 8 of his team's 12 points.

Hey, I scored a 2 (a three pointer that counts as 2 in a pick up game) and had some nice catch-and-shoot plays.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 am

2-10-09

Rushed a 25-30 min. Yoga for the Shoulders and Neck. Had stiffness in the rhomboids from last night.
This seemed to help.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 am

2-11-09
Yoga for the Shoulders and Neck.
Very tonic-like for the upper body. The stiffness in the rhomboids is gone and the shoulders are opening up.
46 min session.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:42 am

2-13-09

YRG 60 min. Got most of the wraps which I couldn't do last time.