Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sofa King

Re: Yoga, Sprinting, and Shit

Post by Sofa King » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:34 pm

2-16-09
After a sleep deprived night due to 7 teenagers having a sleepover for my daughter's 15th birthday and spending 3 hours at Dave and Buster's watching them blow through power cards, I decided to play pick-up basketball.
Played one game of full court against 19-20 y-o's and took them to overtime (got to win by 2). Did well depsite my obvious speed disadvantage.
Played one game of half court vs. other younger, but not as talented, players. Got tired of waiting for the next game and headed home.
Woke up with a sore left calf. Not bad. Getting my basketball feet back quickly.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 pm

How does the YRG stack up against Bikram's?

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 am

Now that I'm doing the 1 hr YRG (called the Fat Burner Plus), I'd say it stacks up pretty evenly. The edge goes to Bikram because of the number of poses and the length of the program. There are some intermediate moves in the 1 hr YRG not seen in the 40 min version. Mostly wraps and some hip moves. The flow is generally the same. The length of time spent in the lunges and warrior positions is pretty grueling but manageable.

I like Bikram for the periodic rests, instructors, and the heat. What I don't like is having to pack my shit up and get to the studio. It takes 2 hrs out of my day and I don't always have that long. YRG gives me something I can do everyday and not put a crimp in the schedule.

Except for today where I could only do 1/2 of the 1hr program because I have to go back to work for a parent night. Still, I feel as though yoga is keeping me in the game at my age (46) playing against kids less than half my age (last night most were 19 that I played pick up ball against).
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:02 am

2-18-09

YRG 60 min. Fucking hard today.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:41 am

2-20-09
YRG 60 min. Not enough sleep last night= lousy poses today.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:03 pm

2-23-09
1.5 hours of pick up basketball at the gym where my son plays. Got my basketball feet back.
Played one game of full court and 3 half court games. Only one rest and kept up with the youngsters the whole time.
It was funny at first to see one guy go easy on me because he figured he should. Then he posted me up, got a denial hand across his chest, missed the pass, and it was on.
The next guy was even more fun to defend. Good times.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Sofa King wrote:2-23-09
1.5 hours of pick up basketball at the gym where my son plays. Got my basketball feet back.
Played one game of full court and 3 half court games. Only one rest and kept up with the youngsters the whole time.
It was funny at first to see one guy go easy on me because he figured he should. Then he posted me up, got a denial hand across his chest, missed the pass, and it was on.
The next guy was even more fun to defend. Good times.
That's great. I bet all the hoop is getting you in top condition not to mention it being fun.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:02 am

The basketball is really what I needed in many ways. It not only gets me running and gets the heart rate going, it satisfies the need to compete against competition that is way better than me. As I play, my skills get a little sharper.
Thanks for the comment. Sorry to see you go from IGx. . .for now.

2-25-09
YRG 60 min. Right knee had some unexpected pain today but didn't interfere with my yoga. Got the Yee book on Moving Into Balance and will start trying the 8 week course next week. Seems like a good fit right now.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:36 am

2-26-09
First day of Moving Toward Balance.
40 min with interruptions and didn't get through all the asanas. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:02 pm

2-27-09
Played in a slow-pitch game. Lots of running in the outfield, around the bases, and going 3-4 at the plate.
Hit the ball farther than I have for quite a while. Felt good. Between this and the basketball, the body is doing great.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:08 pm

2-28-09

YRG 50 min. Had to cut things short because of interruptions and son's basketball game.
Got through the standing poses and table-top stuff. Had to cut out the hip stretching stuff.
Sweating like a muthafucka.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Sofa King wrote:2-27-09
Played in a slow-pitch game. Lots of running in the outfield, around the bases, and going 3-4 at the plate.
Hit the ball farther than I have for quite a while. Felt good. Between this and the basketball, the body is doing great.
This is what it's all about. It's not about holding set poses for time, lifting a set amount of weight at the gym, doing x amount of achyball lifts in a set amount of time, or running/riding a set distance in a specific time. It's about training to feel good when you live life to the fullest and have real fun doing it. And you don't feel like you've been hit by a car the next day.

We all get too caught up on setting certain bench marks in our fitness training and forget why we are actually training.

Keep up the good work brother.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 am

Ed, mah brutha,
You are so right. Since I started playing pick up basketball again, I feel better than I did 10 years ago (and that's saying something). When I was an @fitter, it was all about cutting time and form. All it got me was tired and injured.
Last night was the best I've felt during a game in years. Good stuff, to be sure.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 am

Back at it:
3-2-09
Watered down yoga for the shoulders and neck. Good warm-up for basketball tonight.
35 min.
Later:
1.5 hours of pick-up basketball. 2 full court games and 3 half court. I garnered little sympathy as the younger and more talented players I guarded torched me. On the plus side, my rebounding and shooting were looking good.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 am

3-3-09
Felt tired and stiff most of the day from the basketball.
Did some surya namaskara A and B vinyasas for about 15 minutes.
Feel great right now. Legs have energy and good strength in the chest from the chaturanga holds of 5 seconds or more.
Each position was held for 3-5 seconds. Good recovery type of routine and very energizing.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 am

3-5-09

YRG 40 min. Had no time for the 60 min today. May play with the handleball tomorrow.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:52 pm

3-6-09

Went to bed the night before feeling like shit, literally. Must have contracted the flu somehow, because I was achy, feverish, and shaking. Woke up Friday feeling like I had been run over by a truck, but still went to work.
Wifey brought some green tea to last the day and felt pretty good by the afternoon.
Played in our softball game that night and wen't 1 for 2 with a triple and pitched a couple of innings. Again, felt great to be running around and playing like a kid (a big, slow kid).

Again, I blame the yoga.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:55 pm

3-8-09

Daughter had volleyball practice in Long Beach, so I had the opportunity to head to the beach and get some sprint work in. In honor of everyone's favorite fat loss expert, Patrick Donnelly, I dubbed this session "The P-Don."

45 minutes of movement. No stopping; just continual movement for 45 minutes. Work included the following: 4 sets of hill sprints (50 yds); 4 stair climbs (150 feet); 2 sets of sand sprints (run/walk/run); 2 sun salutation A vinyasas, 1 B vinyasa; and about a mile of just walking.

Total time was actually 48 minutes with the cool down walk. Good work to keep the legs fit and burn some fat.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm

3-9-09

Played pick-up basketball for about 1.5 hrs last night. Went non-stop for the duration. 1 game full court and 4 half-court games. Spent 3 of those games posting up and being posted up by a kid who was my size, but with a lot more experience and he could jump. Still, got my shots in, got my rebounds, and played some good defense (even if it was somewhat dirty).
Body could feel it this morning.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am

3-11-09

YRG 60 min (Fat Burner +). Not sure why I think I may need anything else. I still have a long way to go before I've mastered all the movements on this disc. I guess I like variety, but I can't see anything challenging me with things I should be able to do like YRG right now.

I do want to get back to some Bikram classes, mainly because I'll lose the ones I've already paid for, but I do like the program and the sweat.

Today's session was needed as I was still feeling the basketball from Monday and was having headaches. All is well now.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 pm

3-13-09

YRG Fat Burner 40 min.
Softball game tonight.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm

3-13-09

Game results: 4-4 with 2 doubles, a triple, and a single. Ran for others on the team and did a fair amount of running in the outfield. Had a friend comment that my sudden "burst" of speed must be due to AAS. I said "Yes, I have a cousin who travels with me inject me every night."

I'm really liking the feeling in the legs and shoulders since focusing on the yoga.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:52 am

3-16-09

Watered down yoga for the neck and shoulders. Used it as a warm up for basketball tonight.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 pm

3-16-09

2 hours of pick up basketball. 2 full court and 3 half court games with one break. Feeling it in the back today.

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:24 am

3-23-09

YRG Fat Burner 40 min. Off to play basketball with the young 'uns.

Later:
1.5 hrs of basketball. 4 games of full-court with lots of banging and running. The shooting was a little off, but the rebounding and defense was much better. Lots of hard running as well.