Got Some Trainin' To Do

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Freki
Sgt. Major

Re: Man of Steel, Balls of Iron

Post by Freki » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Did an easy hour on an elliptical last Friday, keeping the HR @ or below 125.

Sunday,

LC w/ 24s

OH holds w/ 24s
30 sec on/30 sec off, 4 times

Cleans w/ 16s
5 sets of 20

Went to the gym and messed around w/ squats/bench/dips, nothing much to speak of.

Tuesday:
One arm clean w/ 24
10 R/10 L x 10

Jerks w/ 24s
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Warm up:
Messed around w/ an empty barbell for 10 min, clean and press, OH squat, power snatch, row. 5-10 reps each set, pretty much non-stop movement.

LC w/ 24s

Press w/ 16
3 sets of 10 R/10 L

Snatch w/ 16
10 sets of 10 R/10 L
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Back was tight this a.m.

40 min qi gong DVD

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Yesterday:
Something easy to get the HR up. 60 min on elliptical, avg. HR was 128.

Today:
Short warm up

Squat and press
185 on squat, 100 on press
10 reps, short rest, 10 reps. Rest was till HR got back down to 125, 10 times through.

Heavy jump rope
30 sec on/90 sec off, 20 min

50 min, avg HR 138.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:34 am

Warm up
OALC w/ 16, 10 min

OALC w/ 28
# each hand: 5,7,9,11,13,11,9,7,5

20 min jog

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Easing back into training after the layoff.

Some YRG-ish/Tibetan 5 rites every day this week, nothing major, 15-30 minutes.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Last few weeks, have been doing some training, but nothing major.

Tuesday:

A quickie, snatch w/ 16,
7R/7L on the min for 30 min, worked out to be about 45 sec on, 15 sec off.

Today:
Med ball work to loosen up

Ring pushups

Ring rows

3 min jerks w/ 24s @ 10 RPM

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Friday, just to do something light, fucked around w/ the 16, OALC and snatches.

Yesterday, 60 min on the elliptical.

Today, wife got a Groupon to the local Bikrams place, 90 min class. Holy shit I'm out of yoga shape but the scenery was NICE.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

DO OVER.

B/c of school/work, I need something programmed that I don't need to think about that also tends to be short and covers a lot of fitness bases, I'm going to run through Never Gymless' 50 day workout twice. I'll modify it a bit to suite my needs/tastes. When I have the time and inclination, I'll do some low level LSD type stuff, usually swimming/biking/elliptical.

Day #1
45 min on elliptical, HR between 125-130
Modified IDT#1
Jumping jacks
pushups
BW squats
Crunches
1 min each, then 45 sec each, then 30 sec each and finally 15 sec each.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:44 pm

What about the kettlebells?!! Ross' NG program is a solid, fun program. I've done it before Have fun!

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Oh they'll be used, this is just a break from pure GS. Looking the next year or so, there's zippy chance I'll compete (other than a rank video at some point for 24 LC) till next year's AKC LC meet at the earliest, but even that's a maybe b/c if I take two classes in the spring, I'm done w/ the classes for the master's program, then it's just thesis. I was toying w/ their Chicago meet b/c I wasn't going to take a class this summer but I think they moved it to 10/29 (we have a wedding that weekend here and probably one shortly thereafter on the West Coast) and I am taking a class this summer as it turns out (machine learning - yep, hardcore nerd, yo). And w/ the layoff, I need to get back in shape anyway, so this is just as good a way as any other I figure.

And this is modeled on NG, not pure, if I had II, I'd use it. For example here's my max strength workout today (at the gym):

Squat, 4 sets of 10, last two sets of 225. I haven't squatted in months and want to walk tomorrow.
DL, 245, 5,3,2
T-bar rows, 135 x 8, 3 sets
Hammer incline press, 200, 3 sets of 5

I need to work on this part, I'm thinking either 5,3,2 ala that Russian PTP post in the training forum, or a 5-4-3-2-1-ish workout, not maximal obviously, since I'm doing both on one day, though maybe I alternate the two: squat one week, DL the next. Then the horizontal pull and push will probably be on the hammer machines.

Core stuff:
TRX at the gym, pushup into side crunch, 10 reps (5 crunches/side), 3 times
Ab wheel at home, 3 sets of 5.

For my "explosive strength" day, per the book, I'm changing it to strength endurance and this is where the KB's will come in a lot, probably focusing on OALC w/ 32 this time and w/ 40 next time, w/ maybe some LC w/ 24s thrown in on that day. Otherwise, I'll sub KB's in occasionally for some of the conditioning cycles.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 pm

EIT#1, modified

12 squat thrusts
24 pushups
36 bw squats
500 yrd row on C2

modifications were squat thrusts instead of burpees and rowing instead of run.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

C&P w/ 24
5 R/5 L on the min for 10 min

OALC w/ 32
5 R/5 L on the min for 10 min

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:51 am

Modified ICT#2:

10 R/10 L swings w/ 32
15 med ball slams
10 burpees

8 times through

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Max Strength day:
Warmup- Squat bar x 10, 135 x 10 x 2

DL
265 - 5,3,2

Hammer incline bench
220 - 5,3,2

Hammer high row
220 - 5,3,2

DL's are a good starting point
Hammer stuff could be 20-30# heavier, especially rows.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Modified EIT#2:

10 burpees
25 swings of 4# heavy rope
10 pushups on rings
3 laps around the garage

5 times in 15 min

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 pm

This is looking good, Freki.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks man!! I'm enjoying the variety.

Yesterday - Strength endurance:

OALC - back to back
5 min w/ 16 kg, probably 12 RPM at least
5 min w/ 24 kg, 10 RPM
5 min w/ 28 kg, 5 R/5 L on the min
5 min w/ 32 kg, 3 R/3 L on the min

B/c I had the time, 60 min, very easy on the elliptical.

Today, off but went to gym to fuck around w/ JM stuff and hit the sauna. Some YRG stuff and light KB (windmills, side press, arm bar, etc.). Also chatted up a friend of ours who is a B'more fireman and now moonlights as a trainer at the gym.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:34 pm

modified ICT

Deck of cards
diamonds - swings w/ 32
hearts - goblets w/ 32
spades - burpees w/o the jumps since i was doing goblets
clubs - started out as bw rows but switched to ring pushups as i ran out of pulling gas

42 min, average hr = 146

Next time I need to shuffle the deck better.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:29 pm

Strength workout after work. Won't do that again, gym was a cluster fuck.

Warm up
Squat - 135 x 10, 205 x 10, 235 x 10

Waiting for some guy who was using two of the three racks for some kind of squat/bench press circuit.
Hammer rows
230 x 5,3,2

DL 275

Looking over the NG program, there's a lot of pushups, so changing the strength press to OH press.
155 x 5,3,2

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:52 pm

So this sucks, but let me back up a week or so.

Cruising along w/ the NG program and liking it. Deck of cards workout is evil, in a good way.

So my analysis for a big project for school got lost when the software corrupted the file and I had to start over and I had a big project at work due around the same time, so I ended up taking a few days off to catch up on that stuff. Picked back up w/ an ICT/Dan John type circuit last Saturday:

Circuit #1
Burpees (well, no jump) 10 reps
Squat w/ 120#, 10 reps
High pulls w/ 120#, 10 reps

minimal rest between sets, 2-3 min between circuits, 5 times through

Circuit #2
Dips
Curl/press
Upright row w/ 80#

Same as above but only 8 reps

Spent the bulk of Saturday sprawled out on the floor w/ a laptop hacking at perl code which was probably my fatal mistake.

Sunday a.m., back was stiff, but loosened it up enough I thought.

Warm ups:
Deep squat:
bar - 10 reps
35# on each side - 10 reps
45# on each side - 10 reps

rep #8 on the last set, TWINGE in low back. Fuck.

Knowing I had a few hours before it locked up, went a head w/ a modified version of the planned workout. Messed around w/ Zercher's, working up to 185# from about knee level. High angle hammer rows. OH press.

Later that afternoon, it was fully locked up though I did get it to adjust yesterday about noon and am now back to about 80% of normal.

So, for the next month or so it's going to be a lot of swimming, YRG, dips, pullups, biking.

Today:

Using the 100 pushups plan for dips and the 50 pullups plan.

Dips

Assisted pullups:
neg
neg

YRG over lunch probably (pool was too packed to productively swim).

Freki
Sgt. Major

Re: Begin Again Log

Post by Freki » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 pm

NEVER taking two classes at the same time again while working more than full-time. Especially one where I need to learn a fair amount of a new programming language (perl in this case).

Most of my training since I threw my back out 6-8 weeks ago was dips and assisted pullups using the 100 pushups in 50 days or whatever that group of programs is called. My shoulders did NOT like dipping that much. Some elliptical stuff thrown in.

I turned 40 in December and have been thinking about what I want to do going forward training wise, meaning what, ultimately, do I want out of training. The more I think about it, using personalities as proxies for methodologies is that I'm somewhere between Maxwell and Federenko, w/ a healthy dose of Art/DDP thrown in. Not Wendler, for example, w/ my history and injuries I'm prone too. For the next 12-18 months, I need relatively short efficient workouts (30-45 min) that are a good mix of mobility, strength and conditioning.

I'll focus on pullups, dips, HSPU, LC, Cleans, Jerks and swings. Squats will be mostly bulgarian split squats and goblets, may even live the dream and do pistols. \:D/

So:

Yesterday:
Kind of a BW GVT thing
Ring pushups ss. Bulgarian split squats - 6 reps (each leg for the squats), 10 sets
Band assisted pullups following the aforementioned program, it was 3 sets of 3-5 reps, then some negatives.

Today:
This ab med ball thing I do periodically
Then 30 sec of heavy rope jumping, 90 sec off, 20 min total.

Till at least 7/1, I'll be doing LC w/ 16s to just get back into it, then the 24s, each time working shorter sets w/ heavier bells too.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 pm

DOUBLE POST

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Welcome back, Freki! I've been reading a lot of Maxwell's stuff and doing a lot of his style of training. I think it's really good stuff,especially while I am rehabbing my shoulder and elbow. One could do very well and live a very healthy life training Maxwell style. Especially the stuff he has been doing lately.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, Mick! Where are you reading that stuff?

Yesterday
Some stretching
Get ups w/ 16
couple sets of 3 each hand, been a LOONGGG time since I did this.
Pullups w/ small band
No band

Heavy jump rope
30 sec on/90 sec off, 20 min

Today
Warm up:
clean and press w/ 16, couple sets of 5 each hand

LC w/ 16s
3 min, non-stop, probably around 10 RPM

Clean/Front Squat/Press w/ 2 24s
10 sets of 6 reps