Got Some Trainin' To Do

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Freki
Sgt. Major

Re: Got Some Trainin' To Do

Post by Freki » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Easy, low impact conditioning.

45 min of jump rope
20 sec on/10 sec off (though the main metric was keeping the HR around 140 so a lot of sets after about 25 min ended up being closer to 45 sec on/45 sec off.)
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:09 am

Last Sat:

60 pushups (ladders, 2,3,5,10)
50 dips (ladders, 2,3,5)
50 BW rows (ladders, 2,3,5)
Various ab stuff w/ the TWX at the gym and med ball

Last Sunday:
10.55 mile run, 2.11 loop in the park w/ a big ass hill, 5 laps. Like 85% humidity. First 3 laps were good, 4th was tough, 5th sucked. I think a week or two out from the 1/2 marathon, I'll repeat for 6 or maybe 7 laps.

Wed:
50 ring pushups (ladders, 2,3,5, then 2 ladders of 2,3,5,10)
Band pullups (ladders, 1,2,1,2)
Ab work
50 Bulgarian split squats (2,3,5)

Thurs:
Started off as jump roping for 30 sec on/30 sec off, but got bored. 2 32 kg kb deadlifts, basically 10 reps every 2 min w/ 90 sec rest. Avg HR was 131 for the hour but at the end had trouble keeping it under 145-150. Volume was a hair over 21 tons. 2 days...OW. :drinkers:
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:52 pm

What'cha been up to? Also, got a link to this?
Freki wrote:Mostly was doing the GS calculator workout
A link to the Arnold BW program would be great too!

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 pm

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/show ... tid/22701/

There's the Arnie, the GS calculator was that one that was all the rage in the KB forum 6 months or so ago. I had it bookmarked on my home computer but that died a couple months ago. Go poke around the remnants of KB-istan or one of the Ruskies might have it. I'll poke around too, I might use it at some point.

To answer your question, did the 1/2 marathon the week before Thanksgiving, then basically nothing till this week due to work/school. About a week before the race, I was coming down our stairs pretty fast carrying something and slipped, dropping straight down hard w/ my right leg under me. At first I was worried I screwed up my right leg but that went away in a day or two. What lingered was nut pain/pressure. After convincing myself I had a hernia/nut cancer I went to the doc, after an exam (we now exchange Christmas cards) and hearing about the fall on the stairs he diagnosed a strain/pull (my lower abs hurt too from getting over ambitious w/ a TRX at the gym) and gave me muscle relaxants, which happily cleared up the symptoms in a few days. I have had two "relapses": I tried Furmanators DL workout from the GG (lasted a few days) and week before Christmas I was moving our entertainment center to put up the tree and had the pain again for a while.

So, going forward, goal is to maximize muscle, burn fat and minimize risk of injury. I'm also going to change things up a bit every 13 weeks (or 4 x a year).

Next 13 weeks, inspired by Tom's article:

Day 1) YRG w/ maybe some KB press ladders. Have done virtually nothing flexibility related in over a year and I miss it. I know this is where the DL stuff goes but see the above, this is also intended to let the strain/pull heal up.
Day 2) Going to try the full Arnie program, but I could see splitting it up ala Tom's article too, depends how I recover.
Day 3) Easy cardio 30-60 minutes (inclined treadmill walking, bike, rower, swim). Just to work the ticker a bit and a couple of those options allow for hottie gazing and reading for school).
Day 4) off/recovery, some light qi gong, breathing, probably head to the gym for a sauna.

Repeat

We also are about to close on a condo at a beach a couple hours from here so that will factor in somewhat too, the place has a small gym but I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not sure what I have to work w/. Second 13 weeks will be similar except I hope to be doing the DL's by then, higher version (real pullups/chinups, weighted dips, start working on HSPU, that kind of thing), I intend to give the Arnie program the full six months. I'll probably keep that 3rd day as a play day (biking, kayaking, maybe take up stand up paddleboarding if I can find a cheap one) then rest. NO idea about the last 1/2 of 2012 at this point. We're doing a local 10K in late April, that's it for "comps". Probably pepper some GS (LC mostly) in, mainly b/c it's an efficient use of training time, but more ladders and stuff, not timed sets for now unless I ever get the urge to compete again (and money allows now w/ 2 mortgages). Basically, the goals for the foreseeable future are to train consistently, gain muscle, burn fat, have fun and don't fuck anything up seriously.

And sweet baby gorrilla Jesus, Monts, like someone said in your log, welcome home. Didn't want to mess up your log.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:29 pm

http://www.girevik.info/gsprogram/eng/index/index

Last couple days (mainly b/c I'm being lazy this week), I did 45-60 min on an incline or a bike while reading. HR averaged around 130.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks, Freki! Good to see you back at it as well. Stay healthy!!! Happy New Year!

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm

New Year's Day - 30 min or so of YRG from the book

Yesterday:
pushups/bw rows - 1,2,3,4,5 - three times through the ladder, got into it on the pushups and did YRG style 3 count pushups the last ladder. 2 min between ladders, but the rungs were back to back.

Situps/hyperextensions - 3 sets of 10

Leg press (my one potential variation for the BW program) - haven't done these in literally 10 years, so kept it light this time, 250# x 3 sets of 10.

Leg raises/twists w/ a medicine ball - 3 sets of 10

Dips - same ladders as the pushups, ran out of gas on the 2nd ladder, I think the 3 count pushups took their toll here.

Ran out of time for pullups/chinups this time.

Today, some qi gong/deep breathing.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Course work for master's is done, thesis research isn't till the fall and work's settled down to a dull roar, so back to training.

I've done stuff in spurts (including a 1/2 marathon) since this was last updated, but in general, no training.

Did a long weekend away last weekend and did LSD type cardio in the hotel gym and some weights one day.

In general, the goal is just to keep doing some kind of training almost daily, trying to balance the mobility/flexibility, strength and cardio trinity.

Some YRG earlier this week.

Today:
2 min LC w/ the 24s, didn't count reps, but was around 7 RPM. Just an easy workout.
Dips, in 2's and 3's, 25 total.