Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Soupbone

Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post by Soupbone » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 pm

"It is wisdom which is seeking for wisdom." -Shunryu Suzuki

Since this is a new chapter in my journey, I think it is time for a new log.

Jiujitsu, jiujitsu, jiujitsu and maybe some more jiujitsu. Add some kb's and a lil' bit of bodyweight work and some yoga on an off day and there you have it.

I worked out yesterday and couldnt hit jiujitsu for more than 2 days because of work schedule. Which really bummed me. But the good lord willing and the creek dont rise, I will be able to hit classes on M-W and Saturday. I am on-call with work right now until 2300 and have been since 2300 last night, and I never sleep worth a shit when I am on-call. I pray to the gods for peace of body and tranquility of mind.

Today, I just had to do something, since I cant hit class. I did 5 minute rounds of static stretch, swiss ball and bosu ball play, and Sanchin kata respectively for like 45 minutes or so. The swiss ball stuff is really essential to me and so is the static stretching, as I have neglected my hips and hamstrings for so long that jiujitsu has revealed how integral they are to my practice, so if I get a little weaker in return for good technique and improved flexibility, mobility and stability...s'all good.

"What we call 'I' is just a swinging door which moves when we inhale and when we exhale." - Suzuki

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Re: Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:28 pm

"When you become you, Zen becomes Zen." -Suzuki

Today we did a ten minute conditioning circuit followed by buddy strengthening drills. Technique training was a self-defense set up: a break fall followed by a get up. We then worked the scissor sweep as an entry to two variations of a collar choke. I was partnered with a hispanic guy built like a tonka truck, who had no problem applying pressure and making my eyeballs bulge out my head. We then did 30 minutes of sparring and I got absolutely mauled. 3 steps forward, 3 steps back. Now I was partnered with all upper level purples today who I think needed a boost to their self esteem, so they needed someone to crush. My base is getting good, I need to concentrate on my basics and work on moving as seamlessly as I can from one position to the other. Oftentimes I will panic in positions and then they will capitalize on it. There were some moments when I felt like I could push through their resistance, but then it failed at the last second.

Onward and upward tomorrow.

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Soupbone wrote:There were some moments when I felt like I could push through their resistance
Try to push when they pull, as opposed to pushing when they push. This is the natural order of things.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Soupbone wrote:There were some moments when I felt like I could push through their resistance
Try to push when they pull, as opposed to pushing when they push. This is the natural order of things.
Thanks fats, this is pretty new to me.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:48 am

And along the same line. Pull off or fake a sweep then fake the sweep and go the other.

Works for me about 75% of the time.

But most of all have fun. And don't get too caught up in winning. That's the ego. I know you and this isn't a problem for you. But I thought it wasn't a problem for me until I realized it was #-o .

Have fun.

Go to class and choose to not go for any submissions and only 1 or 2 specific sweeps Or pick 1 submission only i.e. the keylock(kimura/americana), it's there all the time. Or pick a sub for each limb. I like the keylock, rear naked choke, and straight ankle lock. But knowing you for the stud you are sub the armbar from mount for the top keylock.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 am

"For the righteous shall be glad in the day of their vengeance for they shall bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked." Ps. 58:10

p.m. jiujitsu: big class today; several guys from the GB school in Decatur drove over to train. nasty 10 minute conditioning set of non stop burpees and hip escapes. 10 minutes of work on the scissor sweep and then 10 minutes of transitioning from scissor sweep (failed) to collar choke to arm bar. we then sparred for 30 minutes and I went 50/50 today -I won several and lost several matches. We had some nasty strong blue belts, who I was able to sweep, pass and take their back. I had a 10 minute chessmatch with Jake before he swept me. When I am in a guys guard I have a tendency to hold on to stuff and gas out. I really need to concentrate on holding a relaxed position with plenty of gas left in the tank. It was brutal hot here today, so I have really tried to stay hydrated and cool. Looking forward to training tomorrow.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:11 pm

"On the stairway to excellence God has placed sweat...and long and steep is the pathway to it." -Hesiod

a.m.-jiujitsu. 10 min. conditioning set of burpees and pushups and hip escapes. 20 minutes working a sweet standing entry into an arm bar which I was able to pull off well. then we sparred for an hour. yesterday I wore my grip out, so i was able to relax and won as many matches as I lost. When I mount, its pretty rugged. I had a 30 minute war with a 3 stripe purple name bill and it was physical chess. he tapped me with a reverse collar choke and an omoplata, I got him with an arm bar from the mount and an americana. My scissor sweep is coming right along. I had several more matches with a nasty purple named Brick, I mounted him and took his back a couple times. He got me with a gogoplata. It was a very good day of training!

OSU!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Have you trained Jiu-Jitsu, Judo or wrestling before? I checked your other log and it said you started in June, I'm shocked you're subbing purple belts already (unless of course you have a background).

Holler.

EDIT: I looked through your old log and saw that you've wrestled, done Judo and also happen to be in good shape (and not a small guy either). Good work on kicking ass so far!
"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—It gives a lovely light!" - Edna St. Vincent Millay

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Plus he was one of Tony C's old victims in his catch wrestling days.

Soupie's a fucking monster.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am

Bram wrote:Have you trained Jiu-Jitsu, Judo or wrestling before? I checked your other log and it said you started in June, I'm shocked you're subbing purple belts already (unless of course you have a background).

Holler.

EDIT: I looked through your old log and saw that you've wrestled, done Judo and also happen to be in good shape (and not a small guy either). Good work on kicking ass so far!
Thanks my man! Judo in my childhood and in Texas after grad school. Wrestling in college and submission stuff on and off for a long time. Plus the days with Tony C. I am trying to get smaller actually, I am floating b/w 210-220 these days and eating whatever I want, I may try to eat a little cleaner and get b/w 180-200...it may be a little easier on the joints. But I have to tell you, this BJJ is unlike anything I have ever studied before and strikes me that every training session is a constant lesson in refinement. Every session is something new and it is bringing me a lot of insight into who I am and how I respond to things. Like I said, I wish I had started like in 1997
Ed Zachary wrote:Plus he was one of Tony C's old victims in his catch wrestling days.

Soupie's a fucking monster.
My bruddah! backatcha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 am

What's your connection to Tony C?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:19 am

Fat Cat wrote:What's your connection to Tony C?
I was one of the dummies in the RIP dvd series. I trained some submission wrestling and catch stuff with Erik Paulson for a while, then when I was a probation officer I would travel to chicago every month to train with Tony at Triton College for almost 2 years. I was also writing articles for him with Matt "Wiggy" Wiggins for the ICWA. I was doing an autobiograpical piece on him when there were several pieces of history that could not be verified. I began doing some snooping (I was doing investigations in probation at the time) and started to find things that didnt jive. I started asking Tony the best I could, and before you know it, I was no longer welcome with Tony and his group. (Jake Shannon had a likewise experience) I picked up a lot of info from him regardless of where it came, but I no longer talk to tony because he is a bipolar psychopath. I dont talk to wiggins either, but thats a different story.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 am

That's interesting, I used to be involved with his Inner Circle group and know most of the people you mention. He's off, for sure, but he still knows some wrestling. I didn't know you knew any catch-as-catch-can wrestling; it's a subject dear to me but I hate most of what gets passed off as catch now days, so I keep it to myself.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:02 am

Fat Cat wrote:That's interesting, I used to be involved with his Inner Circle group and know most of the people you mention. He's off, for sure, but he still knows some wrestling. I didn't know you knew any catch-as-catch-can wrestling; it's a subject dear to me but I hate most of what gets passed off as catch now days, so I keep it to myself.
My college wrestling coach was an '84 olympian and the alternate behind Mark Schultz and was a top notch Sambo guy. After college, I got to train with Larry Hartsell some. After grad school was my heavy judo time and then started focusing on the submission wrestling, which introduced me to Tony C. and Erik Paulson. I also did a little with Arn Anderson and Terry Funk of pro wrasslin fame who could also tie you into knots. I am very passionate about catch and am pissed about what is passed off for it. I could talk for days about John Pesek, Ad Santel, Ray "Crippler" Steele, Ed "Strangler" Lewis.... But you gotta have the basic skills to wrestle if you wanna "Catch" after all...it is called catch wrestling!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Today...

I was going to stretch and do joint mobility... but i didnt.

I was going to do some seated meditation... but i didnt.

I sat in the air conditioning until 1500 when it was time to come to work. Funny thing, the sorest parts of my body are my hands and feet. Hands from gripping and pulling the gi and my feet from all the open guard work.

Tomorrow will be a strength day and then jiujitsu on saturday.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:00 pm

"What counts is not neccesarily the size of the dog in the fight; but rather its the size of the fight in the dog." -Dwight Eisenhower

5 min. c2 warm up- around 1200m - 22 to 24spm

3 sets of 15 pullups- 5xreg grip; 5xchinup grip; 5xparallel grip. no rest b/w grip switches.

3x10+10 full contact twist w/ 50# on the end of the oly bar

3x8+8 one arm db bench w/ a 65# db

swiss ball leg curl x10 ss/ swiss ball sit up holding a 35# db behind my head x 10 for 3 sets

one arm db curl 2x5 w/ a 65# db

I was pleased with this workout! nice respite from the jiujitsu, but I could feel it working some of the same muscles.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 pm

"I shut my eyes in order to see." -Paul Gaguin

a.m. jiujitsu- 10 minutes conditioning warm up. 20 minutes drilling standing entry into arm bar and scissor sweep. I am dedicating my jiujitsu beginning to the basics and I am drilling them over and over. We then did "bull in the ring" jiujitsu style. My patience is paying off. I got swept a coupla times but overall, I am gaining confidence in my passing ability. I am beginning to feel my hips loosen up and move from position to position. I also pulled the scissor sweep off several times with much success. I also got mount a couple times, but time was called and i couldnt finish it. I then got paired with Troy, a 280 lb. brown belt who is smooth and unreal strong and he worked with me on some side mount escapes. Overall, it was a good training today. I am blessed. Now I am watching very old UFC's and drinking some whiskey and enjoying the air conditioning.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 pm

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Emerson

a.m.-jiujitsu. 10 minute conditioning set; 30 minutes of drills: clinch to hip throw; standing entry to pull guard; kimura; bump sweep; 20 minutes of sparring. In 5 straight matches I was able to make my scissor sweep work 5 times. Two purple belts getting ready for comps had their way with me and I need to figure out what to do when I hit half guard; i am holding onto the position, but nothing is happening from there...I need to figure out. Good session today!

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Soupbone wrote:In 5 straight matches I was able to make my scissor sweep work 5 times.
Excellent.
Soupbone wrote:. . . I need to figure out what to do when I hit half guard; i am holding onto the position, but nothing is happening from there...I need to figure out. Good session today!

OSU!
Marco wrote:You can't hold yourself out of a bad situation
You are tearing it up man. Gonna hand me my ass when we roll. I can't wait.

What are your hours this week? I'll give you a call in a day or so. I was asleep when you called me back the other day. This getting up early shit is making me into an old man. Up with the chickens and in bed before the sun goes down.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 am

1300 - 2100 until thursday and 1500 to 2300 on friday.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

"When battle is joined, no noble knight thinks of anything other than breaking heads and arms." -Bertran De Born

p.m. jiujitsu- crazy ass plyometric warm up that kicked my ass; pushup hops; squat jumps, jumping lunges; spider pushups for 10 minutes. 20 minutes of drilling: clinch to hip throw; standing entry to pulling guard, go for the kimura; fail then bump sweep. 30 minutes of sparring. This one same size as me 4 stripe white belt had my number and swept me at will: scissor, elevator, and omoplata sweeps. I was able to hold my own for a while and sweep also on others. My patience is paying off and I am able to use my weight on top to make people feel very uncomfortable. Professor showed me a great collar choke fake to scissor sweep that really helped me. He then proceeded to saw through me like a hot knife through butter. It coming together, I just need to be patient.

OSU!

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:14 am

Soupbone wrote:Professor showed me a great collar choke fake to scissor sweep that really helped me. He then proceeded to saw through me like a hot knife through butter.
=D> =D>
Rock on Soup...
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:26 pm

"See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body." Munenori Yagyu

Soupie received a white stripe on his white belt today! I totally feel that it was too soon, but I am not arguing. a.m.- jiujitsu: a nasty 10 minute conditioning set of squat jumps and hip escapes; 20 minutes of drilling-standing entry to O-uchi gari; then pull guard, kimura attempt fail and hip bump sweep. 30 minutes of sparring, people are getting very frustrated with my open guard. one blue belt tried to helicopter pass me and got caught in a short arm scissor. My scissor sweep was 10 for 10; 10 attempts and 10 sweeps. This nasty purple belt named dorothy passed my guard twice and gave me some good advice. I had a war with this other guy who was trying to pass my guard standing while i was seated with a foot on each knee. I got this crazy idea and actually pulled off a cool kimura sweep. My half guard is improving and I was able to use underhooks twice and take the back. Great session today!

OSU!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Yay! White is the best color!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:36 pm

"Learn the lesson that if you are to do the true work of a prophet, what you need is not a scepter, but a hoe." -Bernard of Clairvaux

"The Tao of heaven doesn't struggle, but it wins through. It doesnt ask but it always hears the answer. It has no desires, but everything works out as planned. And though the net of heaven is wide, not even the tiniest whisper escapes it." -Alan Watts

Conditioning and strength day:

Elliptical- 5:00

c2 rower- 5:00

Heavyhands - 5:00

Reg. grip pullups x20

Curl grip chinups x 20

Neutral grip pullups 2x10

Dead hang pullups w iso hold x5

Dead hang chinups w iso hold x5

One arm db bench w a 65# db - 3x8+8

Isometric abs- hang from chinup bar w knees up- 2x30 sec.

I was gonna do some swiss ball stability stuff and then said fuck it.

OSU!