Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Soupbone

Re: Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 pm

nothing since saturday...coming down with my annual harvest-time allergy and cold...which sucks, but i could use the extra rest. will see if I am up to jiujitsu tomorrow...will probably go in spite of how I feel. just trying to stay hydrated and get a lot of sleep.

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 am

wellp, I dint feel up to go to jiujitsu...

but I went anyway.

And I am really glad I did.

Did a really cool drill for about 20 minutes after warm up. Both men standing ..one man does O-goshi to knee on belly then to side mount, bottm man fishes the far side underhook, walks the hips out, switches hips then gets to his knees, duck under to double leg then hits side mount, bottom man repeats. I was partnered with a doctor who wasnt used to back n forth drilling, but he got his rhytm and we were able to go go go.

We then sparred for 30 minutes specific style. Top man had side mount and had to mount or take the back. Bottom man had to sweep or get full guard. It seemed like I was sweeping at will until Kier a 300 pounder got mount and then I got to punish people on the top. It felt really good to get a sweat.

Took a nap, fixed my dinner for work and clock in at 2300.

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:58 am

nothing yesterday as my nasal decongestant robbed my sleep.

Today, a special 3 hour jiujitsu class led by Fillipe Delamonica of Gracie Barra the Loop, Chicago. 1.5 hours gi, 1.5 hours no-gi and tons and tons of rolling. Now some beer and a night off of work. Life is great!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Up at 4 am, time to play with may balls...

1 arm alt. swings 10+10
1 arm lccj 10+10
1 arm snatch 10+10

3 cycles through...nothing uber serious...just to get the blood flowing.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 am

3rd shift at the hospital followed by some good sleep and jiujitsu.

Good 10 minute warmup followed by 20 minutes of the side mount underhook escape to double leg flow drill with Robert the Hispanic Tank. I swear we didnt stop moving and it was great. Followed by 30 minutes of specific sparring. Top man in side control and goes for mount or the back. Bottom man goes for guard or sweep. I only got one go on top where I mounted pretty quick then I spent my time on bottom working my bottom game with good results.

I tried some band dislocates before jiujitsu and my left delt is stiff and very weak, so I am going to take my light band to work tonight and do teacup qigong and band dislocates and JM when I can.

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:43 am

Get a tennis ball or a racquetball for some pressure point work on that delt.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 am

last night at the hospital was off the handle like a vandal so no JM.

Rickson pushups and parallel grip pullups 3 supersets of 10

elliptical machine 30 minutes

standing ab pulldowns on the nautilus freemotion 260#x3s of 10r

OSU!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 am

Soupbone wrote:Rickson pushups
Que?
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 am

Fat Cat wrote:
Soupbone wrote:Rickson pushups
Que?
Its probably not the real name, but the name I gave them because I saw a old japanese utube clip of rickson working out and he was on these parallel bars starting in like a downward facing dog position and finish in a regular pushup position. I do them on a series of benches at the gym. its a good stretch all the way around and my shoulders could use the extra rom.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am

p.m. jiujitsu-good 10 minute warm up followed by gracie clinch to O-goshi; some work on transitioning from side control to mount, and then work on a mount escape. we then did 30 minutes of specific sparring and I faired pretty well. Forcing myself to work my bottom game as a bigger guy has definitely helped. I think I can work on either sweeping or escaping from bottom and then punishing on top.

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:58 am

so last night professor asks me if I am interested in strength and conditioning and I say yea! so he says come to tomorrow nights advanced class and then we can do his version of a "300" workout. stupidly I say "sure"...so tonight I show up and swim with the sharks for an hour working standing grip fight, x-passes and some nasty collar choke-armbar-triangle combos. Then he gets out some "toys" ...

an extra long extra heavy bungee cord and waist belt

20# db's

2 400# tractor tires ...one with a harness and one with a thick manilla pulling rope

the chinup bar anchored to the wall outside

and a stopwatch

the next 5 minutes was a sweaty blur of bungee double leg takedowns and sprawls...pummelling drills with the db's, tire flips, sled pulls with the harness, hand over hand pulls, box jumps, static holds on the pullup bar, suplexes with a partner and more tireflips...

holee fuck and shiver me shitballs!

I am happy and spent and now its time to go to work...

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:35 am

they are roofing on my apartment complex so I didnt get much sleep...but its a night off from work and I am thankful.

I picked up an extra 16kg kb at Dicks and I am pleasantly surprised at the quality.

So I played with the ballz...

Circuit:

1 arm kb swing 10+10
2 kb swing x 10
pushup/kb renegade row 10/10
2 kb front squat + press x10

did it 3 times through and it was a good one!

Power wheel 2x5

Bottoms up kb curls + alt kb floor press 3x10+10/10+10

now some beer and some tv before catching up on sleep.

I am blessed!

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:39 pm

yesterday's double kb session left me nice and sore.

It was a small class at jiujitsu this morning and it was just about perfect. We worked a clinch entry to o-goshi; side mount to mount transition and mount escape. I then spent 30 minutes sparring with Bill, who just got his 4th stripe purple on thursday and who moves with the grace of a ballerina and the strength of a silverback gorilla. Its was good play, but he pretty much punished me the entire time. Its good for my patience and to learn not to panic and find a way out. If there is anyone I want to learn to emulate more in my jiujitsu, its bill.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:17 am

Up real early and I couldnt resist the calling of my balls...

one arm kb swing 3x10+10

double kb complex:

double swing x 10

kb front squat x 10

kb press x 10

kb row x 10

Did it for 4 rounds and it was killer!

finished up with 3 sets of kb curls

not too bad!

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 am

p.m. jiujitsu...feeling wore down. My shoulders and elbows are aching and waking me up when I sleep, so I may take tomorrow off for the first time in a while.

jiujitsu was great. worked nothing but the basics till they were smooth. O-goshi to side control, side control to mount over and over and over having my partner add resistance as I kept the same tempo. then 30 minutes of specific sparring and I feel like I can go forever.

I got my first pair of grappling shorts on friday in a waist size I havent worn since college. I am getting old but life is real good.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:17 am

nothing today except food and sleep. now its time to go to work...ugh

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 am

p.m. jiujitsu and it was REAL humid in the dojo which got a great sweat going. Great plyo warmup which was followed by clinch work to O-soto gari followed by lots of work on mount escapes. We then did 30 minutes of sparring and working on my back is really paying off. Great session today!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:11 am

got up, got a haircut, got the oil changed in my car and picked up a coupla books at barnes n noble. Blue zones by buettner and a book on the tarahumara called Born to Run. Had a banana and a double espresso at starbucks and then went to jiujitsu. Machine gave me pointers on passing the guard and keeping my posture and I went over several new positions. Then Bill and I rolled for 45 minutes straight and it will remain probably one of the best jiujitsu experience I ever had. Bill is so composed and technically perfect that he never rushes and maintains a perfect pace. This in turn helped me retain my composure and have enhanced play of positional and submission exchange for an uninterrupted 45 minutes and some of the best cardio I have had in a long time. I was actually able to armbar, triangle and can you fucking believe attempt an omoplata for a guy my size and it seemed nearly effortless. Having Bill remained composed was the key to this. Great class!

OSU

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:29 am

Ah fuck. I could have sent you Born to Run. But it's a great purchase and a great book.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 pm

No worries, EZ. As much hype as its getting, I am finding blue zones to be fascinating.

had some good dinner and ale after jiujitsu last night. Woke up early and had some coffee. Then decided to play with my balls...

first circuit was 2 arm kb swing, followed by 10 hindu pushups and finished off with a hold in the pushup plank position. I went thru it 4 times: 1st with 16kg, then 24, then 32, then 2 16's. I didnt count how many swings I did...just enough to start to get huffing.

I then did a couplet of a 2 kb swing with the 16kg's followed by one arm snatches. I did 3 sets and went thru 16, 24 and 32 bells and it felt pretty good.

I then did some kb front squats followed by presses.

Did some yoga and qigong and said it is finished!

Hanging with the girls and my family today, getting some sleep and drinking some wine tonight. Life is GOOD!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 am

p.m. jiujitsu. got a great warmup followed by work on clinch to O-soto gari to knee on belly. Then we worked on mount escapes followed by sparring. Patience and endurance are my one -two punch. Some of the guys wanted to go hard and I obliged them by making them wish they didnt want to go so hard. followed by some tacos and now to work...

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Been neglecting my log due to supercrazyness at work...

Tuesday was kettlebells and planks for about 45 minutes

Yesterday was jiujitsu where we worked on osoto gari and mount escapes and rolled for a half hour and I caught a cocky ass wrestler kid in a legit triangle which was sweet!

I may work out today....I may not we shall see..

OSU!

Dazed

Post by Dazed » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am

Wrestlers do seem a little cocky huh? Over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends and overheard a conversation by one guy saying how you can teach someone to strike, you can teach them JJ, but wrestling, that is something totally different.

I was saying in my head really?. The dude was in his thirties, so I can't chock up the attitude to just being young.
I don't think you realize the depths of Jezzy's sexual greed~ EZ
Big, strong men (preferably in kilts) are my lesbian kryptonite~Jez
the right kind of male can make Jezzy's reproductive instinct overcome her preference for black vagina~Gary

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:32 am

Dazed wrote:Wrestlers do seem a little cocky huh? Over the weekend I was hanging out with some friends and overheard a conversation by one guy saying how you can teach someone to strike, you can teach them JJ, but wrestling, that is something totally different.

I was saying in my head really?. The dude was in his thirties, so I can't chock up the attitude to just being young.
Its funny because I consider wrestling to be my base. But they just wanna focus on going balls to the wall all the time and I am just starting to figure ways to stop that shit in a hollywood minute.

Thursday-10/1 did some swings and snatches with the bells. Nothing super productive to speak of..some timed sets in the swins and snatches and I didnt even bother counting. finished up with some core and yoga.

Last night it was jiujitsu led by machine. Professor and some of the guys are at Pan Ams in New York this weekend. So we worked about a half hour on variant attacks from the pendulum sweep and then we sparred for an hour and played some games which was fun as hell. One game started in guard. Bottom man cannot open his fists for grips, top man cannot open his eyes. I found being top man was much easier for me which means that I need to play the bottom game more. Then we did some straight sparring and there was one other whitebelt there that night who doesnt know the concept of controlling intensity so he yanked an americana so hard that I fought my arm was going to fall off, but I remained composed, bump escaped to guard with my feet on his hips, did a triangle entry where I scraped my shin across his face and then triangled him until his head turned purple, all at about 60% We then had a small conversation about the value of as my friend EZ says "winning a gold medal in the white belt olympics". He's young, but I think he understood.

I wasnt planning on going today, but one of our other upper guys slapped me on the back after class and said "Hey dude, you gonna make it tomorrow?" I acquiesced and gave in...so I shouldnt go, but really want to and probably will.

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:40 pm

ahhhhhh....saturday!

a.m. jiujitsu: lotsa folks showed up and the class was led by Bill the ubertechnical 4 stripe purple. We worked simple takedowns and simple mount escapes just how I like it! I am amazed while drilling how good of a partner I am and I still manage to get elbowed in the mouth and kneed in the balls...jiujitsu rarely goes the way I think it will go. But, I am using the smooth is fast mantra and my moves are getting slick. We then sparred for 30 minutes and I dont even care about losing to newer guys who go crazy...yay! you won...now go away. I am really hitting my stride and subbed a couple of higher stripe blues with a triangle and an arm bar. I almost caught Jeff in a triangle but couldnt close it quick enough. Now to lay around and watch tv and drink beer.

In other news, I found out that a load of our GB guys who are in the guard are deploying to afghanistan next month. They are all great guys and I will pray for their safety. Our school will miss them.

I also stepped on the scale 2 days ago and have lost 24 pounds since starting jiujitsu 4 months ago. I started at 234 and am now at 210. I would like to lose a few more, but life is good!!!

OSU