Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Soupbone

Re: Jiujutsu mind, beginner's mind...

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm

"That which does not kill me, still really sucks to do..." -Doug Anderson Fight Quest Brazil episode

Was reading Fat Cats log and remembered that I have an old copy of Pilates for Men by Daniel Lyon. I picked it up years ago when I saw it mentioned on Furman's blog and have never cracked it open. So today I did the intermediate routine and actually was flabbergasted! Is pilates supposed to make you sweat!?!? Cause I did! Granted it wasnt the pouring buckets like at jiujitsu, but I did get sweaty. I am sure that I screwed up some of the techniques, but I hacked my way through it in 20:43. My spine, hips, core and believe it or not, shoulder, feel elegant...which is a great way for this neanderthal to feel. Kinda like the Geico caveman at a fancy dinner soiree. I need to get on youtube and research the exercises better, but I think this will be a great adjunct to jiujitsu. And i am sure I really activated my core by laughing as I miserably attempted to do "The Seal" at the end! My hips and posture feels really good and this will also help combat the desk jockey syndrome that I am plagued with at work. S'all good bitches!

OSU!!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:14 pm

"Grace is free, but it isnt cheap." -Dieterich Bonhoeffer

Did the intermediate series from Pilates for men. Got it in 20:02. This is really an underused tool with much wisdom within. My hips and legs feel good, but my shoulder even better.

Then did about 20 min. of play on the swiss ball. Got to where I can kneel on it with one leg and the other in a squat..cant stand on it yet. Did an interesting "get up" exercise on my bosu where I will start on knee on belly, work to stand on it and then switch back to the other side knee on belly. ending up in a kinda kneeling half butterfly guard position and switching from one side to the other. Core is happy, shoulder is happy. Today is our independence day!

OSU!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:11 pm

"Life is a sled dog race, if ya' aint the lead dog, the scenery never changes." -Lewis Grizzard

a.m. jiujitsu...thought I had gas in the tank, but I didnt. did a 10 minute session of buddy strengthening drills for warm up. Did 10 minutes of work on Ippon Seionage, then did a fairly funky elevator sweep. Then we sparred for 30 minutes and I got mauled. I was able to pull off a head and arm triangle from half guard, a reverse collar choke and I pulled off a couple of scissor sweeps, but other than that...I got mauled like I frolicked into a colony of ravenous bears wearing a honey dipped pork chop suit. Tomorrow is another day...OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:47 am

a.m. jiujitsu and it was a one hour sparring class with 10 minute rounds and I went the entire time, passing and sweeping, sweeping and passing, mounting and getting mounted. My scissor sweep is working very well for me and I was able to get out of half guard and into side mount, but my mount needs a lot of work. I dont think I have stopped being sore since june 2nd when I started.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11 pm

"Wealth I ask not, nor friends to know me; All I ask is the heavens above and the earth below me." T.S. Eliot

a.m. jiujitsu- 10 min conditioning of burpees and shrimping to warm up. We then spent a few minutes on a very technical omoplata sweep. The rest of the class was 7 minute rounds of sparring. My mindset was to roll like I weighed 120 pounds and to be as active and light as I could. Instead of pushing for dominant positions, I eased into bad spots and forced my mind to work basic escapes. I saw submissions everywhere but told myself not to take them and instead worked basics, basics, basics...I have a beautiful black eye from taking a knee when I tried passing the guard and professor made me his bitch and had me laughing the entire time. My antics have now preceded me and professor now calls me "scissor" in his quaint portuguese accent. It was a very good workout and I am making some lifelong friends and learning a ton while doing it.

OSU!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 pm

"Wealth I ask not, nor friends to know me; All I ask is the heavens above and the earth to blow me." -F. Cat
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:10 pm

"When you come to a fork in the road....take it." -Yogi Berra

Intermediate series from the Pilates for Men- 15:01

15:00 static stretching emphasis on hips and shoulders.

I am a tired puppy today, but s'all good, bitches!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm

a.m. -jiujitsu. got a good conditioning set and stretch in. we then worked a pummel entry into Tani otoshi. Then 20 minutes of work on lasso entry to arm bar and lasso entry into omoplata. then 30 minutes of good hard sparring and i won as many matches as I lost, so I broke even. Working my open guard game and staying patient.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:21 pm

"The fighter is to be single minded with one object in view: to fight. looking neither backward nor sidewise, to go straight forward in order to crush the enemy is all that necessary for him." -Daisetz Suzuki

warm up circuit: 3 rounds

med ball slams x12
medball pushups x 10
swiss ball skiers x10+10

Strength circuit: 3 rounds

BB deadlift 315x5
one arm db clean and press x 5 w/ a 65# db
curl grip chinups x10

Power curls 185x2sx5r

deep static stretch-hips, hamstrings, groin, shoulders--20:00

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:11 pm

"Without knowledge, skill cannot be focused. Without skill, strength cannot be brough to bear and without strength, knowledge may not be applied." -Alexander's Chief Physician

"Deadlifts and jiujitsu do not mix."- Soupbone

a.m. jiujitsu- as previously mentioned my hips and hamstrings were really tight and sore from deadlifting. We had a good warm up and worked a great standup counter takedown to the guillotine and then spent a good amount of time working the ground basics: arm bar and triangle from the guard. I love working the basics, others think it is dull and gruelling, but it will become the backbone of my jiujitsu. We then sparred for 30 minutes and I had 3 matches of 10 min. each, all of them good technical battles. I won 2 and lost 1. I am learning to focus and not overwhelm with strength but to counter with technique. I am still sore...hell I havent stopped being sore since June 2 when I started jiujitsu!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I was super tired and super sore but I went to jiujitsu anyway. We worked a nasty conditioning set and then worked a takedown counter to guillotine then we worked arm bar and triangle from guard. Professor said it was ok so I worked arm bar transition to triangle and switched sides then worked right side triangle to left side arm bar and vice versa, really working those basics. We then did 30 minutes of sparring and I was running on empty fumes, managed to avoid getting swept or submitted, but am having one hell of a time defending against the x-pass. It is a burr in my saddle, but a good workout anyways! OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Soupbone wrote:There were some moments when I felt like I could push through their resistance
Try to push when they pull, as opposed to pushing when they push. This is the natural order of things.
I have never hear Fatz speak, but this was constantly on my mind in jiujitsu today...we did partner resistance drills for warmup and then did the standing guillotine counter to takedown and then some NASTY half guard escape to collar choke. Then it came time to roll and my first 3 matches I was on fire...i found myself in some bad spots and relied on technique and patience and then it was like all I saw were sweeps and subs.. then...

and I mean then...

Professor paired me with this Cass County Sheriff's deputy who made me his bitch for 10 minutes...i was drained physically and just focused on survival..I did OK, but I was able to pass to side mount once, but he caught me in an ezekiel that nearly put me out and a beautiful arm bar that I saw coming from a mile away but could do nothing to defend..and tap, tap, tap. It was a true lesson in humility..."Bruises from a friend are better than kisses from an enemy"..not really, but you know what I mean.

I am sore and drained and very, very happy.

OSU

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 pm

yesterday: nothing, meditating and focus on how sore I was.

Today:
Hip opening staddle stretch; back on floor but against wall with legs open as far as possible-100 count

Shoulder opener/tablemaker stretch- 100 count

Pilates for men intermediate series- 15:00

Strength circuit:
A1 - hindu pushup on pushup board x 10
A2 - cossack squat x10+10
A3 - clinch pulls w bands 10+10

above was done for 5 rounds

10:00 using my 15# clubbells for a variety of Chi Ishi exercises

Seiunchin Kata - 5 times through

Sanchin Kata - 5 times through

Static stretching- straddle, cobra, hamstrings groin- 10:00

Spent a wad of cash on budovideos that is due to be delivered today - the old "Warrior within" with moses powell, chaka zulu etc. Budo: the Art of Killing; Day of Zen w/ Mario Sperry and Arte Suave vol. 1&2- I am a happy camper.

Bodyweight is slowly dropping- 217 this morning, down from 232 in November. Slowly and surely, hopefully in low 200's by end of the year.

OSU!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I can't watch Budo and not train.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 pm

DARTH wrote:I can't watch Budo and not train.
Yeah, it's a classic. Soup, you will like it. You are Goju Ryu? All the karate that I do is Shorin, but I find the Naha styles very interesting, so I always have to remind myself to just focus on what I know. It's good to practice that stuff, there's no point in getting good at grappling but forgetting how to throw a punch or a kick.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
DARTH wrote:I can't watch Budo and not train.
Yeah, it's a classic. Soup, you will like it. You are Goju Ryu? All the karate that I do is Shorin, but I find the Naha styles very interesting, so I always have to remind myself to just focus on what I know. It's good to practice that stuff, there's no point in getting good at grappling but forgetting how to throw a punch or a kick.
Started off in Isshin Ryu, then diverted to Goju where I spent the most of my time, then in grad school I spent a lot of time in Kyokushinkai...so I like to think I been around the block. Fats, ur karate threads and log got me jonesin to do some kata again, so its all good. I want to be a master of the basics, having a beautiful house is no good if you have a shitty foundation.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:02 am

Spent a lovely morning and afternoon romping on the playground equipment at the Gracie Barra Springfield Picnic in washington park after a group ran a 5k raising money for the Memorial Medical Center burn unit. I had to pick up the girls and couldnt run, but after 3 hours on the monkey bars and so many kids wanting "elephant rides" my ass is wore out!

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:10 am

Outstanding.

My Fourth of July activities were very similar and they wrecked me as bad or worse than a hard night of prepping fighters for an upcoming MMA bout.

The monkey bars will also definitely awaken your awareness towards your shoulder joint health/flexibility.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:46 pm

While the girls were sleeping:

Kata, Kicks and Kettlebell Kleans:

Straddle stretch on wall; Shoulder opener tablemaker stretch - 100 count

A1. Seiunchin Kata
A2. Shuto mawashi Uke, mae geri, shuto mawashi uke, yoko geri x10+10
A3. kettlekleans 16kgx3+3; 24kgx3+3; 32kg x3+3

The above was done for 10 rounds through

static stretch-10 min. on hamstrings and groin

The girls woke up and came down when I was stretching and are karateka's themselves, so I took up a Sanchin stance and they wailed on me with reverse punches and roundhouse kicks for 10 min.

OSU!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Soupbone wrote:The girls woke up and came down when I was stretching and are karateka's themselves, so I took up a Sanchin stance and they wailed on me with reverse punches and roundhouse kicks for 10 min.
Ah Iron Body training, the most painful part of the workout. Those darn bony fists are brutal. Enjoy your day with the girls my friend.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:23 pm

"Under heaven there is nothing softer than water; but for attacking the solid and strong, nothing is better." -I Ching

a.m. jiujitsu: 10 minute conditioning set, then worked on failed single attempt to half guard; sweep to side mount. We then sparred and sparred and sparred working on positions. I won 6 matches and lost 2, trying to roll with the flow and pass and it worked suprisingly well against people who have crushed me in the past. Then professor decided to extend class 10 minutes and smoke us with more conditioning until I literally thought I would pass from this earth. The key for me has to not remain flat on my back and wait to scramble and sweep. great class today! My videos came today after a delay now I dont want to go to work and instead sit in a hot tub and drink sake all day long and watch the Budo video over and over.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm

"Beware the fury of the patient man." - John Dryden

p.m. jiujitsu: conditioning set; 20 minutes of technical work on the half guard. 30 minutes of intense and I mean intense sparring, being patient and sweeping. Bill the purple smashes me with his technical precision, but I did Ok today. Then we got crushed with more conditioning after class.

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm

a.m.-jiujitsu. great conditioning set and then went through the basics, double leg; arm bar, kimura and triangle from guard for a few minutes freestyle. Then we hammered at the sparring and sparred and sparred and sparred. I am not telegraphing my scissor sweep and its mowing people down like a machete. I am so heavy on people in the top position, that several are tapping out from sheer pressure but it feels like i am not doing anything. He then kicked our asses with more conditioning at the end. It's all good bitches!

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:42 pm

hip opener straddle stretch-100 count

cossack squat stretch-100 count each side

cobra stretch-100 count

100 seiken tsuki on makiwara each side

10 dead hang pullups

100 seiken tsuki on makiwara each side

10 dead hang pullups

Run the rack DB hang power cleans for challenge prep
55'sx2; 65'sx2; 75'sx2; 85'sx2; 95'sx2- did this twice

80's for 3sx3r-work sets maybe 10 sec rest b/w each set

1 long set of "galvao" pushups

deep stretch for 10 minutes

sat in the sauna for 10 minutes to reflect

OSU!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 pm

rest day.

day off from work.

day to pay bills and do chores.

day to drink beer and watch Budo, and Arte Suave and feel how sore my traps are from the db cleans yesterday.

and drink more beer, maybe hit the hot tub later, or not and drink more beer.

Catch the theme niggaz?