Unfluffing

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Unfluffing

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 am

I am so sorry to hear about your mom, syaigh. My condolences to you and your family. My apologies if I already spoke to you about this on FB. I hope you're doing well!

Also, you're doing a great job with your sweet doggy!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 am

Thank you. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Thu May 28, 2020 4:33 pm

4 mile walks yesterday and today.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Finally got back to some bodyweight exercise. My balance is really bad. Did lunges and one-legged deadlifts with some pushups and plate twists yesterday and had to switch to two-legged deadlifts because I really couldn't keep my balance. The lunges were really inconsistent as well. I had been noticing a decline in balance in throwing last year, wondering if I'm having some neurological decline. My IBS is at an all time high and I have also noticed a loss of coordination in gross upper body movements. I knock things over a lot and my grip is weaker. Walking and running is fine. Just need to pay attention and do some daily assessments to see if this is something that needs investigating. Been feeling pretty crappy in general, but looking at homeschooling two teenagers starting in August and sending a third off to college (fingers crossed) so life has been pretty stressful in general. Got the quarantine blues.

Regardless, been rereading some of Vern Gambetta's work so am taking the functional path training approach. Ground based, multi-planar movements, not focused on weight, just good movement and "winning the workout". So, trying to do some full body training 3 days a week, Walking/jogging 6 days a week. Paying better attention to my diet, but trying to be minimalist in intake and attention required.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Sounds good and good luck with everything, syaigh!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks Mick. I'm doing all right. I've always had some issues with weakness in my hips (was born with hip dysplasia) and I am definitely genetically inferior when it comes to physical training. :)

Walked the dog 9 miles between Wednesday and Thursday. Walked her 3 miles today. I've been working on the leash aggression thing and she had a bad day today. Walked by three very aggressive dogs and she responded, but by the 4th, she was okay. Sat and paid attention to me. But THEN! A goddamned little shit dog undid it all. Its one of my neighbor's dogs. My neighbor is crazy. She's German and thinks she knows everything about everything. She "trained" the little monster with a shock collar but the dog won't heel or follow any commands without being shocked. And this lady thinks she can walk this dog off leash even though she tries to attack any dog she gets close to. Anyway, this little shit came running down her driveway and out into the street after my dog, who is twice her size. I tried to get between them, tried to hold my dog back, and then I was like, dude, fuck her up. And my dog did. That little shit went screaming back down her driveway. My dog doesn't bite hard so I know she wasn't injured, just scared. Owner came out all horrified and surprised that her little angel had been such a little bitch. I was as diplomatic as possible. "My dog is leash aggressive, your dog will get killed if that happens again. Bye." God damn people are fucking stupid.

Anyway, my glutes have been ridiculously sore since Tuesday, but no excuses. Today did a circuit of ring rows, ring pushups, reverse wood chops, and goblet squats. Then 15 kb swings on the minute for 5 minutes. Then 25 minutes on the treadmill at a 3% incline, 3 mph pace.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks Mick. I'm doing all right. I've always had some issues with weakness in my hips (was born with hip dysplasia) and I am definitely genetically inferior when it comes to physical training. :)

Walked the dog 9 miles between Wednesday and Thursday. Walked her 3 miles today. I've been working on the leash aggression thing and she had a bad day today. Walked by three very aggressive dogs and she responded, but by the 4th, she was okay. Sat and paid attention to me. But THEN! A goddamned little shit dog undid it all. Its one of my neighbor's dogs. My neighbor is crazy. She's German and thinks she knows everything about everything. She "trained" the little monster with a shock collar but the dog won't heel or follow any commands without being shocked. And this lady thinks she can walk this dog off leash even though she tries to attack any dog she gets close to. Anyway, this little shit came running down her driveway and out into the street after my dog, who is twice her size. I tried to get between them, tried to hold my dog back, and then I was like, dude, fuck her up. And my dog did. That little shit went screaming back down her driveway. My dog doesn't bite hard so I know she wasn't injured, just scared. Owner came out all horrified and surprised that her little angel had been such a little bitch. I was as diplomatic as possible. "My dog is leash aggressive, your dog will get killed if that happens again. Bye." God damn people are fucking stupid.

Anyway, my glutes have been ridiculously sore since Tuesday, but no excuses. Today did a circuit of ring rows, ring pushups, reverse wood chops, and goblet squats. Then 15 kb swings on the minute for 5 minutes. Then 25 minutes on the treadmill at a 3% incline, 3 mph pace.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 pm

I've only been to Germany once but I've encountered hundreds, mostly during my time in SF.

1. They always think they know better than anyone, especially Americans. 100% of the Germans I've encountered have made a point of mentioning in the first 10 minutes how dumb Americans are and/or how much the U.S. sucks.

2. They are incredibly authority driven and tyrannical if you let them be. The saying that Germans are either at your feel or at your throat is true.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah, I knew a bunch when I was still in medical research. Its certainly a cultural thing and easy to manage if you know what to expect (as with all cultural differences), but yeah, this one is a piece of work. I have some very good German friends who use their powers for good and not evil and so that's always pleasant. :) My aunt's mother-in-law is a very nice lady, but extremely German, ie everything is up for criticism. (Although that is also an Irish Catholic thing.) All the foreigners I know think that Americans are both overly friendly, but also too free with their opinions. Which again, can be a good, or a bad thing. :)

I'll tell you a funny story. When I was in Seattle for a medical conference in 2000, I got on the elevator on the 8th floor with two Germans. We went down to the second floor where a mother and two chidren got on to get to the first floor. The two Germans began gossiping in german to one another in a very obvious way. When the mom and two kids got off on the first floor, they continued to be critical, still in German. Obviously, they were criticizing the lazy Americans for taking the elevator one floor. So as I got off, I asked, "so, do you know where the stairwell is?" And they were both taken aback and embarassed. And in English, admitted they did not.
Last edited by syaigh on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm

3 mile walk this morning. 15 minutes rowing, 30 minutes treadmill.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 pm

2 mile walk yesterday. Macy had a good meeting with a dog and then didnt respond when another dog on leash was calling her names and threatening to kick her ass.

Today, 3 mile walk and did really well when another dog escaped its yard and came running up to her. And then met another dog on leash and behaved.

Then a circuit of 500 meter row, 15 kb swings and 15 plates twists for 6 rounds. Then 30 minute incline walk on treadmill.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:48 pm

3 mile walk this morning and then had to swim with a bunch of toddlers because they asked me to and I can't resist little people when they use their manners.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Dog walks all week. Helped an old neighbor move a ridiculous number of boxes out of the attic of his 3 story house. I am sore from that and probably won't do another workout until tomorrow.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:17 pm

More walks, 4-5 miles a day.

Workout today:
8 circuits of squats, ring rows, and pushups.
100 kb swings.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 pm

Moved the oldest kid into her college dorm room. Hope they get through the semester without a shutdown. Still mostly dog walking. Found a probiotic that seems to be helping with the IBS. Also upped my dose of D3 again. Hoping to get back to the mountains for a short trip next week. Need to get out of this heat.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Been in the mountains since yesterday. Have walked about 12 miles total. Going home tomorrow, but I need to get back up here soon.