IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:53 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous 156 57 58 59 6062 Next
 Post subject: Re: Bram's workout log
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, October 5th

Compassion Meditation

I've noticed that when I feel arrogant, thinking I'm going to surf really well for example, I tend to do whatever that activity is....terribly.

The waves were supposed to be amazing Friday, I caught myself thinking arrogantly Thursday so I took a nap, ate a healthy dinner and went to bed early.

Friday, October 6th

I thought my arrogance yesterday might be due to not having performed any plyos in a few weeks. Like my overconfident state was an indicator I was under doing something. The waves were amazing this morning, but opted for the gym instead to prepare.

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Roundhouse Kicks to Heavy Bag x 10 each x 4 sets
And
BOSU Ball Med Ball Chest Pass 8lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Endless Rope 45 seconds x 643 feet, ?, ?, ?
And
Box Jumps 30" x 10, 33" x 10, 36" x 10 x 2 sets

Overhead Band Pull-Aparts Red + Yellow x 20, Red + Green x 20 x 3 sets
And
Lying Back Extensions [abs and glutes contracted] x 90 seconds, 90, 90, 55

DB External Rotation 5lbs x 18, 16

Surfing 1.5 hours - caught a ton of good waves, surfed at a high level, even got a few compliments. It was crazy good.

Surfing 1.5 hours - caught a few good ones, then nothing the next 45 minutes. I used the same board as my early session, but it felt too small. There were 25 wave sets but 40/50 people. That arrogance reared its head again, right before I started catching nothing. I lived on protein bars all day, so the only thing I could think of was shitty nutrition.

Saturday, October 7th

The day from Heaven.

It was absolutely firing. I saw maybe 100 barrels get made, 5-6 foot waves, pros out (they were out yesterday too, but these conditions were incredible). I've never been out in waves like this, but it was incredibly intimidating. I noticed that about 30 yards inside was a smaller wave, and caught a bunch of killer single-turn waves. As the tide dropped that wave shifted, then disappeared and my wave count slowed way down.

Session 1: 1.5-2 hours

I was fried, but remembering my error of yesterday I cooked up a feast, recharged and went back out. Hit up a different break, which was smaller but had a fun look to it. I caught maybe 4 waves, but holy fuck I have never had the flow I had this session.

Session 2: 45 minutes

Sunday, October 8th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Back to the same break as yesterday, the blessed wind had shifted from gentle offshores to strong onshores - massively decreasing the wave quality. I caught a couple good ones, got caught up in some mental bullshit where I then missed 20/25 waves in a row, cleared my head and caught 3 screamers (I was literally yelling). They weren't as good as yesterday's faces, but the drops were so satisfying.

Thank you God for the waves, and all the setbacks to my surfing and training and attitude to life.. I've gone back to the drawing board over and over again, stumbling around in the dark and the last couple days of surfing makes it so worth it. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 9th

Unbelievably the conditions have returned to perfection. Surfed for about an hour of non-stop amazing waves....then sat on the beach debating whether to go out as the wind had turned and the waves had decreased a bit in texture. I kind of felt like I had a really good dinner, went back for seconds and then sort of regretted it. I still had fun, but the shape had changed a bit.

Meditation 30 minutes [peace + humility] + Savasana 6 minutes

Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 10th

Surfing 2 hours

Same swell as yesterday, but windier and a bit smaller - but still plenty fun, with some big sets.

Such good vibes in the water. I got out, even though I had more free time, just feeling satisfied and happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, October 11th

Stretch

Leg Press 320lbs x 12 x 4 sets
and
Seated Calf Raise 45lbs x 15, 12, 12, 12

Band TKE - Green or Purple x 20 each, 15 each x 3 sets
and
Leg Extensions 50lbs x 12, 40lbs x 10, 10; 30lbs x 10

Standing Band Hip Extensions - Green x 20 x 4 sets
and
Walking Lunges x 15 x 4 sets

Lying Hamstring Curl 90lbs x 12, 8; 80lbs x 8, 75lbs x 8
and
45 Degree Low Back Extension 35lbs x 10 x 4 sets

Stretching

Notes: too much quads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, October 12th

Chin-Ups x 10, 8, 6, 6
and
Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets

Standing Cable Row 70lbs x 15 x 4 sets
and
Seated Hammer Row - Elbows Up 45/45 x 15 x 4 sets

DB Alt. Curl 27.5's x 10, 7, 6, 5 each

DB Seated Hammer Curls 17.5's x 12, 10, 7, 7

BB Reverse Wrist Curls 25lbs x 18, 20lbs x 15
and
BB Wrist Curls 40lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Notes: decided after yesterday's workout to shuffle accessory stuff around....low traps and forearms today (instead of rear delts and abs). Huge forearm pump.

Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.5 hours - got super aggravated, not a lot of people out, but almost all of them paddling around me, getting in the way, going for waves then backing off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 13th

That workout yesterday kicked my ass, just holding lighter dumbbells today for clients felt bleeeegh.

Surfing 1.5 hours

At first, I was mostly kookaburra, eating shit on a lot of waves, difficulty getting my feet in place. Figured that overly-quad-saturated workout on Wednesday fucked up my harmony. But a little over halfway through I found my flow, ripping into a few turns (in my mind at least). Feeling good. But definitely not as good as Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, October 14th

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 10, 10, 10, 8

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 8 x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise 12lbs x 12, 10; 10lbs x 12, 10

Hanging Knee Raise x 20, 15, 12, 8

Decline Leg Raise x 12, 8, 6, 6
and
45 Degree Side Bend +10lbs x 12, 10, 10, 9

Sahrmann Exercise - Level 1 x 15 each x 4 sets

Band Reverse Push-Down - Red x 20 x 4 sets

Band Reverse Straight Arm Pull-Down - Red x 20, 20, 20, 15

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 25lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Surfing 3 hours

Notes: I can see I've felt a little off this week. A little clumsy getting to my feet at times, not at all times, but occasionally. This ended up costing me a couple falls today. Will continue to shuffle my exercises around, looking to not overdo any area on any given day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 15th

Leg Press 320lbs x 12 x 4 sets
and
DB Calf Raise +27.5lbs x 20 x 4 sets

DB Walking Lunges 27.5's x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Band Standing Hip Extension - Green x 20 x 4 sets

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Lying Hamstring Curl 90lbs x 12, 8; 80lbs x 8, 75lbs x 8

DB Shin Raise 35lbs x 20 x 2 sets, 40lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
45 Degree Low Back Extension +25lbs x 15, 12, 12, 12

Notes: band hip extension felt like overkill on my low back area...I'm used to doing hamstring curls and back extensions with no issue. I'll sub in neck or something else and move the glute work to my full day.

Meditation 15 minutes [impermanence] + Savasana + Nature

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfed terribly, underneath a stunning sunset. I missed nearly everything I paddled for, or had someone paddle around me at the last second and take the wave. But I still came in with a smile on my face. I think my body is cooked, will take Monday off and rest up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 16th

Meditation 30 minutes [directing the breath towards any physical discomfort] + Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 17th

Surfed Tourmaline on a 3 foot x 14 seconds 200 degree Southwest swell. Everywhere I checked that could handle the lower tide was a wave machine, in some cases big waves. Tourmaline was slow as fuck, 30 minute waits between sets. A couple decent ones for sure. I'm recording the swell direction so I don't go there again on a big southwest.

Wednesday, October 18th

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Sahrmann Level 2 x 15 each x 2 sets, Level 1 x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Scap Push-Ups x 20 x 2 sets, 1-Arm Scap Push-Ups x 10 x 2 sets

Box Jumps 33" x 10, 36" x 10 x 2 sets, 39" x 5
and
BOSU Ball Med Ball Toss 8lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Mountain Climbers x 45 seconds x 100, 104, 100, 100

Isometric 45 Degree Low Back Hold 30lbs x 1 minutes x 4 sets
and
Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 4 sets

DB External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 12

Surfed at what was supposed to be a 4.3 foot tide and dropping, but must have been a 2.5 or less. This is the second time I've been put in a sketchy situation by trusting the internet tide calculations, rocks that I shouldn't be able to see ever were sticking out as I was paddling out. Extremely nerve wracking. But one guy stayed out another 20 minutes after me, paddling into iffy waves. He walked by on his way home and said he loved those kind of conditions. Well, there you go. Love is the answer. Down the beach, at a low tide spot, there were tons of big sets, but it just felt like not the day for me.

Meditation 30 minutes [noting] + Savasana + Nature Time

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, October 19th

Compassion Meditation

Tried "Balance" as a meditation focus today, enjoyed how it felt even though it was a cursory attempt.

Just finished Alex Honnold's book, "Alone on the Wall." In it, Alex, a famous free soloist (rock climber who uses no ropes or protection), discusses how after he completed a very impressive free solo, he was mad or disappointed that he had felt fear at one section.

Now Alex is rumored to have a much smaller amygdala than normal. Your amygdala is your brains' "fight, flight or freeze" center. A smaller amygdala means less fear. Meditation has been shown to make the amygdala less reactive so we know it can be affected by mental focus, if not shrunken. Part of me wonders if by focusing on minimizing fear, he has actually participated in shrinking his amygdalas size.

This has a lot of implications: if you wanted to rid yourself of anger or insecurity (two things I deal with), you could be mad at yourself for unnecessary anger or insecurity and actually perhaps rid yourself of this bullshit.

Top 10 Self-Imposed Things Negatively Affecting my Surfing

1. Not enough sunscreen. Get wiped out later in the day or the next few days. Every 45 minutes of exposure, or 30 minutes if got too much on an earlier day.
2. Trusting tide calculations when it is clearly low-tide, mid-tide or high-tide.
3. Getting stuck surfing the same breaks. If they are not good, up or down the coast may be amazing. I blew a bunch of sessions because it sucked by my house, but a mile away it was good waves.
4. Going too hard on a workout and feeling gassed for surfing - on a plyo day I could just do rhythmic shit, instead of balls to the wall.
5. Not enough food, water or sleep to recover.
6. Not trying all my boards before heading out, this doesn't happen to my detriment too often, but I'm getting obsessed with surfing my shorter boards and then catch less waves sometimes because I won't consider the other end of the spectrum.
7. Bad thoughts. If I'm thinking "I'm gonna catch a lot" or "I'm gonna surf well," almost invariably it's on a day where I can't catch anything and subsequently get more and more selfish in my attempts to find one. If I notice these thoughts arising, I should hang back in the lineup to allow other people to have a better chance.
8. Not listening to my fellow surfers consistently or at all. I was at a local break and got notified that the good sets were breaking North of normal, I saw a set coming and paddled North, caught a beautiful wave. Then paddled to the normal spot and took two falls because the wave was breaking to the North and I got caught out of position.
9. Missing yoga. I was doing twice a week and it helped a lot. Haven't been in a few weeks.
10. Bad vibes. There's a few people that correctly were pissed at me for rude stuff I did in the water (cutting people off, paddling into people's way, taking too many waves, back paddling). I never apologized and usually glare at them or ignore them, instead of owning up to my mistakes and apologizing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 20th

Horribly sore. Like it hurts to lift my leg - plus lats, groin, obliques, mid-back. Just generally tired, fatigued and over doing anything.

Meditation 15 minutes [breathing into areas of discomfort] + Savasana + Nature Time

Had a conversation with another meditation practitioner. In the conversation he told me I'm probably not meditating correctly (although he's never meditated with me) and I'm probably doing the people who take my class a disservice by the way I teach (although he's never taken the class). The other person vastly out-meditates me. Like 25-30 hours a week to my 1 hour or less a week on average.

I like the idea of meditating another couple hours a week, but if I'm not feeling it on a given day, I won't do it. And sometimes I just outright forget to.

I asked him how he's motivated to meditate that much. He said he was extremely dissatisfied and thought meditation was going to help that. On the other hand, I'm not depressed (thank God) or consider myself deeply unsatisfied (thank God again). I see a nice correlation between 30-90 minutes a week and increased happiness, positive thoughts and less negative chatter. That said 90 minutes seems to give me a bigger boost, so I want to shoot for that each week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 22nd

Meditation 15 minutes [balance] + 3 minute Savasana + 15 minute Nature Time

Monday, October 23rd

Surfing 2.5 hours

Meditation 15 minutes [noting] + 3 minute Savasana

Compassion Meditation

Surfing 45 minutes

Last edited by Bram on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 24th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfing 1 hour

Nature Time 15 minutes

Wednesday, October 25th

Surfing 1 hour

Surfing 1.75 hours

Thursday, October 26th

Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfing 45 minutes

Last edited by Bram on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:09 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 27th

Surfing 40 minutes

Surfing 2.25 hours

Saturday, October 28th

Meditation 15 minutes [breathing into discomfort] + Savasana 3 minutes + Nature Time 15 minutes

Today I was totally exhausted. The surf was really good, but I didn't have it in me. Some foam rolling might have helped, or other restorative practices: more sleep, more food, more water, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 29th

Surfing 3.75 hours

Monday. October 30th

Meditation 15 minutes + Resting 3 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Very tired again today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:04 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 31st

Stretching

Reverse Fly's x 4 sets
and
Lat Pulldowns - Parallel Grip x 4 sets

Seated Rows - Slightly Wide Overhand Grip x 4 sets

DB Hammer Curls x 4 sets

BB Forearm Reverse Curls x 2 sets
and
BB Forearm Curls x 2 sets

Hanging Knee Raises x 4 sets
and
Decline Leg Raises x 4 sets

Sahrmann Level 1 x 4 sets

Stretching

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, November 1st

Yoga specific to exercises: child's pose, warrior 1, hands clasped behind back and bringing arms up, triangle, etc.

DB Bench 60's x 4 sets
and
Machine Fly's 100lbs x 4 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 27.5's x 4 sets
and
DB Side Bends w/ TVA 50lbs x 3 sets, 40lbs x 1 set

Straight Arm Pulldowns 40lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Extensions 42.5lbs x 3 sets, 35lbs x 1 set

DB Side Lying External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 4 sets

Yoga specific to exercises: added squat with twist and reach, squat with twist and bind

Thursday, November 2nd

Meditation 15 minutes [rectangle breathing] + Compassion Meditation

Feel excellent from the meditation.

----

Light Stretching

Leg Press 360lbs x 10 x 4 sets
and
DB Shin Raise 35lbs x 20, 40lbs x 15, 12; 35lbs x 15

DB Walking Lunges 27.5's x 12 each, 30's x 12, 35's x 12 x 2 sets
and
DB Calf Raise 27.5lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Lying Hamstring Curl 90lbs x 10, 7; 80lbs x 10, 8
and
45 Degree Lower Back Extension 30lbs x 15, 12, 10, 10

Lying Neck Rotations x 30 each x 4 sets
and
Rope Glute Pull-Throughs 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 20, 20, 15

----

Surfing 45 minutes

1 x 12s @ 207 and 283 by the shack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, November 3rd

Surfing 45 minutes

Meditation 15 minutes [love] + Compassion Meditation + Nature Time 10 minutes

Hanging out with one of my buddies at the gym, I showed him some surfing pictures I got. Now he used to be a high-level surfer in Europe and had some good advice for me.

1) When I turn, I want to lead with my head - he could tell from a picture I showed him that I was leading with my shoulder. Head turns first, then the body.

2) I need to keep my shoulder blade down as I turn and keep my arm up - he could also tell that my shoulder was out of alignment and swinging the arm at a low angle would cause me to over compress my front foot, slowing down my turns.

Awesome! I think I'll try and work on this with some dynamic stretching (I was planning to do this on my next workout anyways, but good to drill this behavior and see if it translates).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, November 6th

I checked the surf yesterday at 8am and there was a massive tide swing then which had killed the waves, but two-three hours later (when I had free time) it got amazing and I had already written it off for the day.

Checked the tide today and it should be good around 11am-1pm, I'm off work at 11 so I hope the wind is favorable.

----

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20, 20, 15, 12

Box Jumps 27" x 10, 30" x 10, 33" x 10 x 2 sets
and
BOSU Med Ball Chest Pass 8lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Roundhouse Kick to Bag x 15, 15, 10, 10

Band TKE - Purple x 20 x 4 sets
and
Leg Extensions 30lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 4 sets
and
Lying Superman x 1.5 minutes x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Arms felt exhausted. I've made two changes - reducing the amount of direct arm work I do and increasing the volume on my internal rotation to 4 sets before the workout. I'll knock the rotator cuff down to 2 sets at the start and see how that goes, then increase the arms back up if necessary.

----

Meditation 15 minutes [noting] + Compassion Meditation + Reflecting on what I'm grateful for

Tough to stay focused today, but I feel so crazy good after meditating.

Last edited by Bram on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, November 7th

Surfing 45 minutes

Surfing 1 hour

Thursday, November 9th

Meditation 30 minutes [observing without dwelling....ideally lol]

Compassion Meditation

----

Stretching

Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets
and
Chin-Ups x 10, 8, 8, 6

Seated Rows 42.5lbs x 20, 50lbs x 15, 15, 12
and
Machine Reverse Flys 55lbs x 20 x 4 sets

BB Reverse Curls 50lbs x 12, 12, 9, 8

Hanging Knee Raises x 20, 12, 15, 12
and
Decline Leg Raises x 15; Crunch with Feet Up x 40, 40, 35
and
Sahrmann Level 2 x 15 each x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, November 10th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Nicely sore in the rear delts and abs. Somewhat sore in the lats and biceps. I think I'll move low traps to my full body day and substitute in upper traps for back.

----

Cable Internal Rotation A 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 8 x 4 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 3 x 8 each side, Level 2/3 x 15 each side x 3 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 12, 35's x 8, 8; 30's x 10
and
DB Side Bends +12.5lbs x 15, 12, 9, 7

DB Lateral Raise 10's x 15, 15, 15, 12
and
DB Skullcrusher 17.5's x 13, 9, 7; 15's x 8

Cable Internal Rotation C 30lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB External Rotation A 5's x 20 x 2 sets

DB External Rotation C 5's x 19, 16

Interesting note: I haven't done lifting after surfing, at least on upper body, in a good 6 years or so.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, November 11th

Surfing 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, November 12th

Seated Calf Raise 50lbs x 15, 15, 12, 15
and
Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each, 9lbs x 15 each x 2 sets, 12lbs x 15 each

Wide-Leg Squats [8 blocks + step] 185lbs x 10 x 4 sets

Leg Press 270lbs x 10, 10, 12, 12
and
DB Walking Lunges 30's x 12 each x 4 sets

Band Side Walks - Blue + Orange x 20 each x 4 sets

Lying Leg Curls 90lbs x 10, 10, 8, 6
and
45 Degree Low Back Extension 35lbs x 10, 12, 10, 12

Stretching 15 minutes

----

Surfing 1 hour

----

Surfing 30 minutes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, November 13th

Surfing 2 hours

Such a weird day today. I made some crazy drops that I was sure I was going to eat shit on, and also ate shit on a few waves too. I also missed a few waves due to thinking someone was going to go the direction I was headed, then they went the other way - maybe better communication with people if I'm trying to split the peak? I also felt super tired.

Additionally, my feet felt off. Since my feet have felt as good as I'd like, I need to revisit what I was doing. Both for my feet and my paddle speed.

Plus side, I look ripped - been hammering my nutrition and it's paid off in appearance.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous 156 57 58 59 6062 Next