IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62 Next
 Post subject: Re: Bram's workout log
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, January 17th

Meditation 15 minutes [noting my thoughts]

Surfing 45 minutes

It was unbelievably good yesterday by my house, Rob Machado (formerly 2nd in the world and very stylish) was surfing. And I had family and work. I was guilted into skipping for a few hours, at which point the surf had turned for the worse. I went out anyway and mostly got ragdolled around.

Thursday, January 18th

Meditation 15 minutes [directing my breath into any area of physical discomfort] + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.5 hours

Fun waves, but my body felt off. Like sluggish perhaps or like a little disconnected? Came in in a great mood anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, January 19th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Holy shit am I tired. Felt like I was paddling through mud. About half-way through the session I got ran over by a stand-up paddle surfer which broke my fin off. I surfed finless okay for one wave, then swerved out of control the rest of the session.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Since my surfing has been so up and down the past few months (from great to ok to worse than that), I thought it would be good to look through this journal and note days where I surfed well.

I found some workouts that seemed linked to good surfing:

1) Dynamic Warm-Ups: more fluidity in my surfing
2) Abs + Obliques w/ TVA: better balance, better turns. On a side note, doing multiple oblique exercises seemed to make this worse, but multiple ab exercises did not. Combining the abs and obliques in a single workout worked good.
3) Chin-Ups, Bench Press, Biceps, Triceps, Int/Ext Rotation, Reverse Fly's: fast paddling
4) Rows, More Rows, Shoulder Press, More Shoulder Press, Int Rotation A/B: fast paddling
5) Dynamic Warm-Up + 5 directional athletic training: fast paddling, turns, pop-up
6) The same as number 5 + int a/b, vmo and leg extension: super good surfing
7) glutes, adduction, abduction, vmo, leg extensions: great turns
8) squats, lunges, calves, hamstrings, low back: great turns
9) high-volume workouts generally led to exhaustion

So, taking that all in, here's some workouts to cycle through for myself

Upper Body A

Chins, Bench, Biceps, Triceps, Int/Ext Rotation, Reverse Fly

Upper Body B

Rows, Rows, Shoulder Press, Shoulder Press, Int A/B (or Ext A/B)

Lower Body Stabilizer

Glute Extension, Adduction, Abduction, VMO, Leg Extension

Lower Body

Squats, Lunges, Calves, Hamstrings, Lower Back (Shins?)

Core

Ab 1 w/ TVA, Ab 2 w/ TVA?, Oblique w/ TVA

Athletic

Dynamic Warm-Up, 5 Directional Athletic [push, pull, core, quad, ham/ext], Ext A/B or Int A/B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, January 21st

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Band Side Walk - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Concept 2 Adduction [6 blocks + step] x 6 each x 4 sets

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 10 each x 2 sets, 12 each, 9 each

Stretching Glutes, Quads, Adductors, Hamstrings

I was sliding my right foot, as I stepped to the left, on the band walks last workout and this workout. I picked the foot up and worked harder.

As soon as I finished the front kick/tke combo my knees felt good.

----

I'm reading "Surfing with Sartre" - a discussion of philosophy and surfing. In it, I saw a quote by Miles Davis:

"The good drummers don't play all that in-between stuff, only the bad drummers do to break up the time. Because they can't lay in the pocket."

Now, not only does this carry-over to surfing as the author intended (I tend to be an overly "busy" surfer - too much wild gesticulation and body chatter and impatience), but also to music, as I've been practicing the drum and piano the past year. I did a little drumming this morning on a table just to try out "laying in the pocket" and it felt better, more natural.

Here's a video of Joel Parkinson, that I watched over and over last night, to illustrate the concept (0:16-0:28):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhfPaXudqu4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, January 22nd

Stretch Forearms, Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 15, 40's x 10, 12, 10
and
Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 15 x 4 sets

BB Standing Shoulder Press 75's x 8, 10, 8, 8
and
Cable Standing Row - Elbows Up w/ 1 sec Pause 35lbs x 20, 18, 18, 16

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15

----

Meditation 15 minutes [love] + Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, January 23rd

Surfing 1.5 hours

Okay, my last session, I didn't mention it, but I got ran over by another surfer. The guy probably could have avoided me, or not taken the wave, but he hit my board, knocked my fin out and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't say anything rude to him, but I did talk to him afterwards and it put me in a terrible mood.

I hadn't felt like surfing the past few days, but today the waves looked really fun so I grabbed my board and with low expectations paddled out.

Caught a ton of waves, ate shit a few times. I felt very out of sync at first - picking short waves or doing odd turns with little-to-no flow. Then as the session progressed, I started getting more in harmony. But then a couple people started cutting the line after every wave and I got triggered yet again.

After the fact, I came to the conclusion that there are differing degrees of priority (this wave has pockets of people who sit at varied intervals), if you're in the deepest pocket, then you get priority over everyone.

During the session, this manifested itself as getting pissed off. Oddly, this worked to my benefit as I charged a few deep waves with an intensity that is uncommon for myself. I could have easily eaten it (on one I did), but the ones I made were awesome.

I feel incredibly good, post-surf. Thankful for today and just how beautiful it was. Plus, my buddy Calvin was out there giving good vibes and I saw him make a sketchy barrel.

That said, I didn't like the anger that had built up, so I headed to meditate.

----

Meditation 30 minutes [naming thoughts for what they are]

Tried to breathe on a count (in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds). This was miserable, so I restarted the time and switched modes. My mind was relaxed until the final five minutes. The last five I wanted to check my watch or quit, badly. Didn't give in. Meditation gave me another positive boost to my mindset.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, January 24th

Hanging Knee Raise w/ TVA x 10, 10, 7, 5
and
DB Side Bend w/ TVA 45lbs x 15, 15, 13, 11

BOSU Sit-Up with Band and w/ TVA - Green x 7; Yellow x 10, 8, 7

----

Surfing 2.5 hours

Great waves, lots of them, very few people out. Body felt amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, January 25th

Meditation 15 minutes ["I am breathing in, I am breathing out"] + Compassion Meditation

----

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Quads, Glutes, Groin, Hamstrings

DB Shin Raise 35lbs x 20, 20, 15, 15
and
Seated Calf Machine 55lbs x 15, 13, 12, 11

Leg Press 320lbs x 12 x 4 sets
and
DB Walking Lunges 27.5's x 15, 35's x 10 x 3 sets

Lying Hamstring Curl 85lbs x 10, 8, 8, 6

BB Deadlifts 95lbs x 10, 10; 105lbs x 10, 10

Repeat Stretches

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Goddang my legs were sore.

Saturday, January 27th

Went to visit my friend in Aspen over the weekend. The dude is beast mode. He didn't do my little workout, but did his own with double the volume, then climbed, then danced his ass off at a great concert. Inspired!

----

Stretch Chest, Lats, Forearms, Biceps, Triceps

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 15lbs x 20, 15

Pull-Ups x 8, 7, 6, 5
and
DB Bench 60's x 12, 12, 10, 10

DB Alternating Hammer Curls 25's x 12, 10, 10, 13
and
Cable Push-Down's 50lbs x 12, 12, 10, 10

Cable Reverse Fly's 10's x 12, 9; 5's x 20, 14

DB Internal Rotation - Lying on Bench 15's x 12, 9

Stretch Chest, Lats, Forearms, Biceps, Triceps

Notes: squeezed glutes and abs on last set of curls and was stronger....used a straight bar on a dual cable pushdown for triceps, increased stabilizer recruitment....maybe do a single overhead press movement and a single delt raise movement next shoulder workout. I feel weak in shoulder raise ROM.

----

Indoor Bouldering 45 minutes

Tried to traverse the entire wall after watching a couple people pull it off, got 65% of the way, took a couple breaks and managed about 80%.

Worked on keeping my hips close to the wall, rotating my knees to assist this being possible, straightening my arms and doing a foot-smear switch technique.

Forearms got pumped but nothing else bad. Challenging!

----

Ate some weed edibles and then played chess with my friend. While he was making himself some food, I worked through the different combinations of moves necessary for black and white to make their fastest checkmates.

Then I used the black opening, followed by making sure every piece was as protected as possible. By the time I had my knights and bishops developed, I saw a weakness where I launched a double attack. He had at least one response that would have stalled me, but he missed it and that then set up an increasingly more complex attack on his king.

It was very beautiful chess: no rushing, no taking of insignificant pieces, no visible mistakes; with a balanced, aesthetically pleasing and coordinated development of the black pieces.

Update: played 2 more games against my cousin the following day. He was a mildly competitive player in high school and we are pretty evenly matched, with me holding a slight edge in total games won. Used both the white and black strategies against him and had two nice victories, along with beautiful black development again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, January 29th

Meditation 15 minutes [noting my thoughts] + Compassion Meditation

Didn't want to stop. Was really enjoying today. Background music was an app playing soft waves breaking.

----

Stretch Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps

DB Seated Shoulder Press 40's x 12, 12, 12, 10
and
Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 20, 15, 15, 15

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 12 x 4 sets
and
Standing Cable Row with Elbows Up w/ 1 second Pause 42.5lbs x 20, 47.5lbs x 15, 15, 15

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Standing External Rotation 5's x 20 x 2 sets

Stretch Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Forearms

Note: I've been doubling up on my overhead pressing, but then found myself feeling weak in shoulder raising. I'm not sure what is best (two shoulder press variations or one press and one raise) but I'll give it a week with this set-up and reevaluate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:05 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, January 30th

Beautiful sunset tonight. Sat and watched the birds and listened to the waves for 15 minutes.

Wednesday, January 31st

Surfing 45 minutes

Paddled slow, reverting back to the other shoulder routine.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 40's x 15, 12, 12, 10
and
Seated Cable Rows 60lbs x 13, 12, 12, 10

BB Standing Shoulder Press 75lbs x 12, 80lbs x 8, 75lbs x 8, 65lbs x 8
and
Standing Cable Rows - Elbows Up 50lbs x 15, 15, 13, 13

Seated Cable Internal Rotation - Arm Wrestler's 30lbs x 20, 15

Repeat stretches

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, February 1st

Compassion Meditation

Surfing 2 hours

Paddled like a motherfucker today, lots of waves, surfed pretty decent. My arm movement for my turns was better than normal, I wonder if that's because I did the shoulder raises last time? Potentially a reason to do an additional shoulders day of just raises.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:55 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, February 2nd

Stretch Forearms, Biceps, Triceps

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 15, 12, 12, 12
and
BB Curl 50lbs x 15, 12, 9, 7

BB Front Raise 20lbs x 10 x 4 sets
and
DB Alternating Hammer Curls 20's x 10 each x 4 sets

Triceps Pushdown 50lbs x 15, 12, 8; 42.5lbs x 12
and
Overhead Leaning Rope Extension 42.5lbs x 12, 8, 6; 35lbs x 9

Seated Machine Reverse Fly's 55lbs x 15, 12, 9; 40lbs x 12

Stretch Forearms, Biceps, Triceps

Surfing 1 hour

Surfing 1.5 hours

Extremely paranoid I was going to surf like shit, but I felt pretty good. Even got a nice snap on my front-side on a perfect 3 footer that I lucked into. Front-side snaps are a rare thing for me to pull off, but I got a good turn in the pocket into it.

Saturday, February 3rd

Surfing 3 hours

Small, crowded and not much you could do on the waves. Still had a ton of fun. 3 friends in the water and good vibes with everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, February 4th

Surfing 2 hours

Tiny waves at this point break in Carlsbad called Igor's.

Monday, February 5th

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raise 35lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each side x 4 sets
and
Cossack Squats x 8, 7, 7, 7 each side

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Abysmal flexibility on the front kicks and a very boring workout. On the other hand, my legs feel nice a few hours later. Springy.

Meditation 15 minutes ["breathing in, breathing out" and "letting go"] + Compassion Meditation

Switching meditation focus half-way through to "letting go" did not make for a smooth transition. That said, I felt very good after finishing :happiness:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, February 6th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Insane waves. So good. If I built a wave machine, it would be the waves that came through today.

----

I'm reading a book called "Irresistible," about tech addiction. I'll freely admit that I check my phone too often and play too many video games. I'm only a little way into the book but I've deleted facebook from my phone to decrease the amount of updates I'll be getting and I'm going to try to give up Youtube on my smart TV and video games on my xbox.

The book says there are 6 components to behavioral addiction:

1. Compelling goals that are just beyond reach.
2. Irresistible and unpredictable positive feedback.
3. A sense of incremental progress and improvement.
4. Tasks that become slowly more difficult over time.
5. Strong social connections.
6. Unresolved tensions that demand resolution.

Surfing has the first five.

I noticed today that about an hour and forty minutes into the session, my attitude changed. I felt angry towards other surfers for "paddling around me," I drifted out of the good take-off zone, towards where it was much harder to catch waves, and I selected waves that had a tendency to peter out. I also felt sick of the sunlight (I had applied sunscreen twice after getting in). But I stayed, compulsively.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, February 7th

Meditation 15 minutes ["breathing in, breathing out"] + 2.5 minutes sitting peacefully

Felt good after.

Surfing 2 hours

I noticed again the weird shift in personality as surfing changed from fun to compulsion.

The sun once again felt draining (I didn't want to look towards the horizon), I stopped catching waves with the same frequency and I felt a low-level antipathy towards other surfers. I was determined to do better than yesterday, so I began hunting for a wave back towards my car. I felt myself wanting to wait for a really good set wave, but that wave was not immediately forthcoming. So after ten minutes had passed in this new negative mind-state I said, "to hell with this," and paddled in towards shore, catching a fun smaller one in.

My buddy had stayed out longer and said he got a really good set wave in. Although I felt a little envy towards his fortune, I was mostly happy to be on shore and stoked on the good session.

I think this is a good solution to the mindset shifting: paddle in a bit and catch a smaller wave in. Less of a wait and, by that point, I'm already pretty doped up on catching fun waves and it won't matter as much to get a superlative one.

----

More notes on this book on compulsive behaviors.

A) Goal-setting, especially metric ones (running for 30 minutes is a popular one that I've engaged in....or sticking to macro's), disengages you mentally from being tired, or full of food, and can lead to obsession. It also leaves you in a state of near constant failure. Systems are better in that they give more frequent, lower level boosts to feeling good. An example would be meditating daily, or writing one blog post a week, versus a goal of amassing 1000 followers on instagram.

B) Part of the problem of addiction is dopamine release (feel good chemicals). This can happen after catching a good wave or blowing a line of cocaine. This dopamine release comes at a price though. As you release more and more dopamine, your body decreases the amount you get from each experience (requiring more exciting waves, or more cocaine) and you can spend your down-time feeling depressed and depleted as your body tries to regenerate the spent dopamine.

C) Another part is when improving your emotional state (loneliness, anxiety, frustration) becomes attached to the activity. Say I feel frustrated, eat some ice cream, and feel relieved. Ice cream becomes linked to a better emotional state and I am now hooked on junk food.

D) Liking versus wanting. Addiction is when we want something. Liking is pretty weak, psychologically speaking, but wanting is very powerful. Your brain remembers that X thing caused Y problem to go away and will want it as a solution when problem Y rears it's head. This carries over to romance as well. Unattainable partners are less likable, but more desirous.

E) Lastly, 50-70% positive feedback seems to be the sweet spot for causing the most obsessive behavior. Winning every video game won't do this, but winning 50-70% of them is a big trigger for continuing to play for hours and hours. Oddly enough my win percentage on the game I've been obsessively playing is 49% for one character and 59% for another - right in that obsessive range. People in this range will engage twice as much in the activity as ones who get 100% positive feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, February 8th

Compassion Meditation

Meditation 15 minutes [reassessment]

Thumbing through a book on meditation, they suggested reassessing your situation as an effective means of regulating your emotions. Each thought that came up, I thought "where is this coming from" or "what purpose is this serving" or "that noise is because people are hard at work." Remarkably effective.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, February 9th

DB Incline Bench 65's x 10, 7; 60's x 7, 6

DB Bench 60's x 6, 55's x 19, 7; 50's x 8

Chin-Ups x 9, 7, 6, 5

1-Arm Cable Pull-Downs - Parallel Grip 100lbs x 12, 10, 10, 10 (hard to get shoulder back at bottom)

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 15 x 2 sets

Note: originally this workout was slightly different, but after attending Yoga I decided this was better. Any sets that were left out were performed the following day.

Yoga 1.25 hours

Oddly strong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, February 11th

Surfing 2 hours

Small waves, but glassy shape and outstanding clarity - all sorts of fish on display with sea grass and rocky reef to admire.

My body still feels tired from the chest and back workout, but I did some cool stuff today. Just using my arms and torso better for maintaining balance or throwing a little flair.

I've surfed this one hidden spot for 5-6 years and it makes me feel very good to have become friendly with the regulars and to be able to enjoy one another's company.

Yew!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, February 12th

1-Arm Plank w/ TVA 30 seconds each side x 3 sets

Sahrmann Level 2/3 x 15 each x 3 sets

Full-Contact Twist 45lbs x 8, 35lbs x 9, 7, 6

This bizarre shit of working my TVA and abs like crazy, but turning in super low reps, weight or both. And yet, it's way better for my surfing to do the exercises with the TVA contracted. Just disappointing to lift so lightly. Maybe doubling (tripling?) the frequency is the recipe.

Meditation 15 minutes ["breathing in, breathing out"] + Compassion Meditation

Taught my class today, meditating right before it started. Had another person lead a body scan meditation for those who wanted to lie down, while I did some yoga with the other 2 people who were choosing to sit. The yoga worked great, the body scan worked great. Lots of compliments and good energy afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, February 13th

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

BB Standing Shoulder Press 85lbs x 10, 90lbs x 8, 95lbs x 6 x 2 sets

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 20, 18; 55lbs x 16, 14
and
Seated DB Shoulder Press 45lbs x 10, 9, 8, 10

BB Chest-Supported Row w/ Scapular Retraction 65lbs x 20, 12; 55lbs x 14, 45lbs x 14

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20L/20R, 15L/20R

Stretch Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Forearms

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Wednesday, February 14th

Yoga 1.25 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:15 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, February 15th

Meditation 15 minutes [repeating the word "peace" and breathing slow and deep] + Compassion Meditation

----

Wall Slides x 20 x 3 sets
and
Scap Push-Ups x 20 x 3 sets [worked on elongating neck]

DB Shrugs 35's x 20 x 3 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly w/ Scap Retraction 20lbs x 20, 16, 14

BB Reverse Wrist Curls 25lbs x 20, 15
and
BB Wrist Curls 45lbs x 20, 15

Cable Neck Harness Flexion [focusing on drawing the chin in] 15lbs x 15, 12
and
Cable Neck Harness Extension [focusing on drawing the chin in] 15lbs x 15, 12

Stretch Forearms, Wrists, Biceps, Triceps, Chest, Lats, Rear Delts, Neck

I don't know what is up, but I'm in a damn fine mood today. Felt great after meditating today and very clear-headed during it.

Last edited by Bram on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, February 18th

Dynamic Warm-Up: Running in Place, Jumping Jacks, Overhead Squats, Spider-Man's, Crescent Kicks x 2-3 rounds of each

Stretch Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Calves, Hip Flexors

Box Jumps x 39" x 10, 42" x 6, 42" x 6, 45" x 1 + 42" x 5
and
Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 616 feet, 610 feet, 607 feet

1-Arm Medicine Ball Explosive Jerk x 6lbs x 10 each, 8lbs x 10 each, 8lbs x 10 each

Dip Bar High Knees x 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 20 seconds

45 Degree Low Back Isometric x 3 minutes, 1 minute, 1 minute

Stretch Chest, Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Calves, Quads, Hip Flexors, Hamstrings, Adductors, Glutes, Obliques

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, February 19th

Feel great after yesterday's workout. Body feels flexible and agile. On the other hand, I had this sort of malaise the last few days which caused me to miss fun surf on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And now today the waves are bad. Blaming it on a few very long days at work.

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps and Triceps

DB Lateral Raise 10's x 20; 12.'5s x 20, 15, 15

DB Front Raise - Thumbs Up 10's x 20, 15, 15, 15 (worked on externally rotating arms until they were neutral)

BB Curl 50lbs x 15, 60lbs x 10, 9
and
Triceps Push-Down 50lbs x 13, 13, 12

DB Hammer Curl 20's x 15, 12, 10
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extension 42.5lbs x 15, 20; 50lbs x 15

Repeat Stretches

Note: worked hard on keeping good shoulder position (shoulders back) and core activation. Felt abs on everything but curls.

----

Meditation 15 minutes [noting what comes up] + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude

----

Doing some research on meditation programs....

"The structure that we have adopted for best practice for handling student referrals has been 5 minutes of targeted discussion, and 15 minutes of mindfulness practice. The mindfulness practice is chosen based on the needs of the student at the time of referral or by student request. Most often students are led through a series of breathing exercises but some scenarios may call for yoga. After 20 minutes in the Mindful Moment Room students are given a pass to return to their class. On occasion students are kept longer depending on the severity of their situation."

"Finally, staff and students will come up with a plan to help students use mindfulness techniques to address similar situation in the future, or to ‘reset’ emotionally to continue on with their day"

"During these classes we identify “mindful masters” (students who demonstrate high engagement), who are then allowed to practice in front of the class on their own yoga mats. This serves as an incentive for students to remain engaged throughout the class, and encourages leadership behavior."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, February 20th

Surfing 1.5 hours

First off, regardless of surfing, my left hip has felt great the last few days. I wouldn't say it ever feels bad, it just feels good all of a sudden. The last few workouts got me sore (upper back, abs, arms) as well.

Only caught a few waves today as the conditions were challenging. At first I let the current drag me down the beach, but I noticed the waves were less consistent as I strayed from my start. I worked my way back up and caught some fun ones. My surfing felt good. The addition of the serratus work was noticeable as I was able to drive my board forwards on each take-off, allowing me to optimize my chances of not burying my nose.

Today was the first time I can recall where I did not think my strength or speed was the cause of me not surfing optimally, but I did feel my flexibility may be holding me back. Specifically my tight hamstrings. Excited to work towards developing this aspect.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62 Next