Following Coach Paul Wade...the man, the myth, the legend.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Time for another Intervention.

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm reading, quack. Just not sure how much feedback I can provide. You have a blog?

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I'm reading, quack. Just not sure how much feedback I can provide. You have a blog?
Mickey, I'm in the process of making a new website and will be doing more blogging. I have a couple blog posts up currently, not posting the name of it here though.

--

Saturday 11/26/11: Hammer winds and throwing accessory work.

I had the 8-month-old boy joining me for the session, so I couldn't go down to my normal throwing spot with him. He sat in his stroller and was cool with playing with my water bottle and watching.

Rotated through:
Overhead squats, 110# x 8reps x 2 sets, 110 x 15reps, moving up to 120 next time
Hammer winds, 16# light x 5reps per side x 4 sets (did an extra one)
Power curls, 110# x 8 reps x 2 sets, 110 x 15reps, moving up to 120 next time

Next, pushed the boy in the stroller with one hand, had a 26# KB in the other hand, and did:
Overhead walk to end of street
KB rack walk back to house
Farmer's walk down & back
Switch hands & repeat sequence
Then repeat both sides again

--

That was a very nice workout. I am going to have to skip Sunday's normal HG practice for my 2nd Thanksgiving dinner with my family (1st one was with the in-laws), hopefully I'll get some time to throw this afternoon during the kids' naptime.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Saturday 12/3/11: Hammer winds and throwing accessory work.

Rotated through:
Overhead squats, 120# x 8reps x 3 sets
Hammer winds, alternated light and heavy hammers, 16# x 10reps per side x 2 sets, 22# x 5 x 2
Power curls, 120# x 8 x 2

Forgot my weighted carries.

--

Sunday 12/4/11: Can't remember if I was able to throw at home in the afternoon or not. Probably not. Missed the Sunday group HG practice, that I'm sure of. Blurg.

--

Friday 12/5/11: Intervention hybrid, workout 2/12, week 2.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU up only with a 32kg KB

A1 HINGE: Sumo DL, 315 x 2 x 5
A2 PUSH: Clean to presses, 120# x 2 x 5
A3 PULL: Pull-ups, no added weight, done TSC style with sternum to bar, 2reps x 5sets, went down to 2 reps per set in order to get more explosive pull and sternum higher on the bar

2 total rounds:
B1 ABZ 2: 5 ab wheel roll-outs from knees
B2 SQUAT: Single leg step-ups (no push, heel only touches ground), medium step, no weight added, 5reps x 2
B3 CARRY: Prowler push, down&back 3x, vertical handles, rubber floor, 50#

--

12/11/11: HG practice with group.

Holy shit. Threw two (non-meet) PRs in the WFD. Measured out a 21' on the HWFD and a 40' on the LWFD. They were not 100% effort throws either, just focused intensity practice throws.

Threw a couple of stones, but nothing to bother writing about.

Did some hammer winds too, 10 with the 12# each way, 10 with the 16# each way.

Just not really motivated to throw hard at 9am in the morning. The practice PRs show that something (as in, practice!) is working. This was probably one of my laziest practices ever. I quit after the LWFD PR.

--

Chatting with the wife and working on my work schedule. 2 sessions total a week of exercise is not okay, I need more movement than that to simply stay healthy IMO.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Wednesday 12/14/11: Intervention hybrid, workout 3/12, week 3.

A3 PULL: Pull-ups, no added weight, done TSC style with sternum to bar, 2reps x 5sets

2 total rounds:
B1 ABZ 2: 5 ab wheel roll-outs from knees
B2 SQUAT: Single leg step-ups (no push, heel only touches ground), medium step, no weight added, 5reps x 2
B3 CARRY: Down&back gym short way with 36kg KB, overhead then racked then farmer's. Couldn't do Prowler pushes because the gym was full with a KB class.

--

Thursday 12/15/11: Intervention hybrid, workout 4/12, week 3.

A3 PULL: Pull-ups, no added weight, done TSC style with sternum to bar, 2reps x 5sets. Definitely noticing more explosiveness, I have a little bony knob on my sternum a couple inches down from the top that is actually bruised from contact with the bar.

ABZ: 5 ab wheel roll-outs from knees

SQUAT: Single leg step-ups (no push, heel only touches ground), medium step, no weight added, 5reps x 2. Stretched calves before this and it made a noticeable difference on my less-awesome right leg side.

CARRY: Down&back gym long way with 24kg KB, overhead then racked then farmer's.

Meant to do another round of these last three things but ran out of time.

On another note, my knees (patellar tendonitis, runner's knee, whatever you want to label it) were feeling much better in the 9-10 days I had off from doing these sessions. As soon as I did yesterday's workout, the discomfort was fully back. I have never DLed so often in my life and also never had such a recurring issue. I'm at the point of looking at sumo DLs as the main culprit in the knee pain. I may have to ditch them...I'm seriously considering going back to front squats for 5 sets of doubles in the giant sets and doing heavy KB swings as my hinge movement, or maybe even going back to conventional DLs with Fat Gripz to keep the weight lower and focus on grip. Frustrating.

--

Very happy to have gotten in two sessions already this week, with the weekend still to come.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:17 am

Since the knee flexors are a primary mover of the sumo DL, that is most likely a big reason... ditch them. You are a raw lifter, there is no reason why a raw lifter should be doing sumo DL as their main DL whatsoever.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Jay wrote:Since the knee flexors are a primary mover of the sumo DL, that is most likely a big reason... ditch them. You are a raw lifter, there is no reason why a raw lifter should be doing sumo DL as their main DL whatsoever.
Conventional DL has always given my old middle back issue problems...it went away with sumo for a very long time. I've never DLed this often (as in more than once a week).

My long torso and short legs make it easy for the heavy weights to "break" my spinal integrity in conventional stance.

Anyway, I'm going to simply switch the sumo to conventional with Fat Gripz for a while to do a sort of "backing off" for a while and let the knees calm down again.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Saturday 12/17/11: Throwing at home.

Had the infant boy with me, sitting in his stroller. Made things take a lot longer than usual.

Got in 4 HWFD throws and 4 20# shot puts. Felt pretty good for what it was.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Don't drop the soap.

Post by Mountebank » Thu May 03, 2012 12:58 am

I've decided to revive my training journal here, since blogging it doesn't interest me.

I'm doing standard Convict Conditioning, stuff from both books. Every exercise has a one second pause at the "top" of the movement, and are supposed to be done smoothly and slow-ish.

Leg exercises are pretty much out right now, as I believe over the last 6 months my right knee tendonitis has turned into a tendonosis...no one I know can figure it out either. I am in the fourth week of doing absolutely no leg training and using laser as often as possible, just contacted a local chiro to get her opinion on it, she comes highly recommended by some athletes I know.

I rotate between A and B workouts, always getting in one of each a week, most times getting in three total sessions a week.

Goals for each workout are either to set a single-set rep PR or a multi-set rep PR (as in, 2 sets of 15 reps is better than 4 sets of 10, thus a rep PR).

I started CC at the very beginning of February, I like it so far. I did move up a level in difficulty on some exercises because the sheer repetitions required to "move up" (like 3 x 50 reps) was numbing my brain when I had to do this for multiple exercises. So I cheated a bit with some, say I got the 50 reps in one set...well, I called that good enough to move on.

Monday 4/30/12:
(the bridge holds and L-sits are alternated, then followed by the twist)
1. BRIDGE HOLD: 1 x 10 sec, 2 x 5 sec
2. L-SIT: 4 x 5 sec
3. FULL TWIST: 1 x 20 sec (per side)

(I was limited in time on this workout, so I basically alternated sets of handstand with each of the other exercises, going for a single set rep PR on each one today, which I got for all of them)
Supersetted:
Handstands on parallettes, minor wall support available - 5sets of 5sec balancing with no wall touch
Step 2 straight bridges - 15reps
Front lever - extended tuck 7sec
Step 3 kneeling push-ups to lacrosse ball - 10reps (first 5 reps on fingertips)
Step 2 flat knee raises - 20reps

Pronated bar hang 60sec.
Skin the cat stretch 1 min.
Hip flexor stretch 1 min. per side

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: Don't drop the soap.

Post by Mountebank » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Thursday 5/3/12.

Hip flexor stretch 1min.
Skin-the-cat stretch 1 min.

Supersetted:

Supersetted:
Free handstand practice, wow, my free HS really, really sucked today :-k
Bridge progression - step 1 short bridges, 2x50 PR
Front lever - ext. tuck, 3x6sec PR
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 1 wall pushups 1x40 PR, step 2 incline pushups 1x25 PR, step 3 kneeling push-ups 2x10 PR (only first 3 reps of last set were fingertip)
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises, 3x15 PR

Pull-up hang 65sec.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu May 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Sunday 5/6/12:

3. FULL TWIST: easy twist 1 x 20 sec (per side)

Supersetted:
Planche - high tuck 7sec PR, 2x3sec
Step 5 FG pull-ups - 1, 2x3 PR
Step 10 3x1 pistol left PR, 3x5 eccentric single leg half squats right
Step 3 wall handstand - 73sec PR, 2x30sec
Calf Raises - 70 PR, 2x35

Chin-up hang 65sec PR

--
Wednesday 5/9/12:

Supersetted:
Free handstand practice - 3 sets, had a very good underbalance save
Step 1 short bridges - 3x50 PR, completed step 1, now completely on to step 2 straight bridges
Front lever - ext. tuck 7sec, 2x3sec.
Step 1 (fingertip first 5 reps of set) wall pushups - 2x50 PR
Step 2 flat knee raises - high 2x20, this is intermediate level
Step 10 pistols - left 2x2, right 2x6 eccentric single leg half squats (rehab for tendonosis)

Pull-up hang 65sec

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Sunday 5/13/12:

Since I had only gotten in one workout so far this week, I worked two sessions into Mother's Day.

AM session

Supersetted HSPU sets between other exercises:
HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU, 3x1rep, new exercise, automatic PR
Planche - tuck planche raises 1x4 PR
Step 3 kneeling push-ups (1st 5reps fingertips) 1x15 PR

PM session

Supersetted HS sets between other exercises:
Free handstand practice, 3 or 4 attempts
Step 4 FG half pullups, 3+2, PR,first time doing these, automatic PR
Squats - Left step 10 pistol 3 reps, Right eccentric-only pistol + 7 eccentric quarter squats
Step 2 straight bridges 1x20 PR
Front lever - ext. tuck, 8sec
Step 2 flat knee raises, 1x25 PR
Calf Raises step 2 both legs straight on floor, 1x75 PR

Pull-up hang 65sec PR

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Wednesday 5/17/12:

Supersetted:
Free handstand practice, 3 or 4 sets
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 3x10
Front lever - ext. tuck, 6 + 10sec.
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 1 wall pushups, 3x50, finally I can move completely on from this stupid level!
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises, 2x20, this is the intermediate level, now I need to go back and finish step 1 at 3x40 next session...
Squat progression - RIGHT step 10 pistols 2x5, LEFT 1 eccentric-only pistol plus 2x8 eccentric-only quarter squats

Pull-up hang 65sec.

CHANGE: I will now move to doing my timed hangs with the Fat Gripz and doing my pull-ups on a normal bar. The Fat Gripz are keeping my pull-up numbers from going anywhere (but my front lever is still improving, so maybe that isn't true), while the bar hang is specifically meant to tax the grip...so I'll use each exercise in the manner it is suited best for. The goal eventually will be to do nearly all my pull-ups with the Fat Gripz. I think working the fat grip 2x/week in hangs will do more for me than 1x/week currently anyway.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat May 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Friday 5/18/12:

3. FULL TWIST: easy twist 1 x 20 sec (per side)

Supersetted:
Planche - high tuck hold 10 sec PR
Fat Gripz Pull-ups - step 5 pull ups 2x8 PR, going to go back to step 4 half pull ups and make sure that is done right
Squats progression - LEFT step 10 pistol 3x3, RIGHT eccentric-only pistols 2x1 then eccentric 1/4 squats 1x10
HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU 2+1+1 PR, need to make sure pauses are done at the bottom
Calf Raises 2x60 PR

Fat Gripz bar hang, pronated 6 sec, sup 4 sec
Last edited by Mountebank on Sat May 19, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat May 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Saturday 5/19/12:

45 minute mildly hilly walk

Supersetted:
Free handstand practice, 4 sets
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 2x15
Front lever - ext. tuck 8+7sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline pushups 1x25
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 1x30

Fat Gripz bar hang, pronated 6 sec, sup 4 sec
followed by
One arm bar hang, 10sec per side

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue May 22, 2012 6:08 am

Holy fuck. I don't know quite what I did on Saturday, but Sunday afternoon and Monday my erectors were tight as all get out. Even took 2x2 aspirin on Monday to help with the situation (had to drive 4 hours that day and sit in class 7 hours). WTF

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Friday 5/25/12:

Warm-up
Dan John's tumbling routine from the Armor Building article on T-Nation
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... r_building
5 Somersaults (forward rolls)
5 Right shoulder rolls
5 Left shoulder rolls
4 "Ninja" rolls (right shoulder roll, left shoulder roll, right, left)
Bear crawl
3 Cartwheels facing one direction
3 Cartwheels facing the other
And finally, as I always joke, run to the bucket.
I didn't have to run to the bucket, but after some fast rolling my dizziness almost caused me to impale myself on the Prowler, LOL.

Supersetted [L-SIT: 4 x 5sec] and [BRIDGE HOLD 1 x 10 sec + 2 x 5 sec]
FULL TWIST: 1 x 20 sec (per side)

Circuited:
Planche - tuck planche raises 2x3
Pull-ups - step 3 jackknife pullups 3x10
Squats progression - RIGHT step 10 one-leg squat 3x5; LEFT step 10 negative-only one-leg squats 3x1
HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand 2x60sec
Calf Raises - double straight leg 4x40

Towel hang - step 2 uneven hang (one hand on Fat Grip) 1x10sec per side
--

Sunday 5/27/12:

Nice uptempo walk with the dog, maybe 10 minutes

Warm-up

Front lever - ext. tuck 8sec
step 4 half HSPU 1x3

Had to quit early due to commitments elsewhere.

--

Monday 5/28/12:

Warm-up

Circuited
Free handstand practice - step 3 wall handstand, 3 sets on parallettes, just working on balance with no wall and getting straight body
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x25
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline pushups 1x30
Leg raises progression - step 1 knee tucks 3x40 moving on to Level 2 finally!
Planche - RKC plank shifted way forward on hands, 5-10sec
Pull-ups - step 4 half pullups 1x8
Calf Raises double straight leg 1x80

Towel hang - step 1 bar hang 75sec

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed May 30, 2012 3:21 am

What a duck says wrote:I've decided to revive my training journal here, since blogging it doesn't interest me.

I'm doing standard Convict Conditioning, stuff from both books. Every exercise has a one second pause at the "top" of the movement, and are supposed to be done smoothly and slow-ish.

Leg exercises are pretty much out right now, as I believe over the last 6 months my right knee tendonitis has turned into a tendonosis...no one I know can figure it out either. I am in the fourth week of doing absolutely no leg training and using laser as often as possible, just contacted a local chiro to get her opinion on it, she comes highly recommended by some athletes I know.

I rotate between A and B workouts, always getting in one of each a week, most times getting in three total sessions a week.

Goals for each workout are either to set a single-set rep PR or a multi-set rep PR (as in, 2 sets of 15 reps is better than 4 sets of 10, thus a rep PR).

I started CC at the very beginning of February, I like it so far. I did move up a level in difficulty on some exercises because the sheer repetitions required to "move up" (like 3 x 50 reps) was numbing my brain when I had to do this for multiple exercises. So I cheated a bit with some, say I got the 50 reps in one set...well, I called that good enough to move on.

Monday 4/30/12:
(the bridge holds and L-sits are alternated, then followed by the twist)

(I was limited in time on this workout, so I basically alternated sets of handstand with each of the other exercises, going for a single set rep PR on each one today, which I got for all of them)
Supersetted:
Handstands on parallettes, minor wall support available - 5sets of 5sec balancing with no wall touch
Step 2 straight bridges - 15reps
Front lever - extended tuck 7sec
Step 3 kneeling push-ups to lacrosse ball - 10reps (first 5 reps on fingertips)
Step 2 flat knee raises - 20reps

Pronated bar hang 60sec.
Skin the cat stretch 1 min.
Hip flexor stretch 1 min. per side
Looks good, you're still ahead of me. Gives me motivation to stay with it (jealousy works wonders).
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:Looks good, you're still ahead of me. Gives me motivation to stay with it (jealousy works wonders).
I appreciate the commentary. Your log looks good too, I appreciate knowing another Conditioned Convict wannabe like me. LOL...anyway...the only way I feel I've made such good progress on all this stuff is 2 things. One, I went way back in the progressions like "Wade" said to do...Two, I haven't been doing ANY notable barbell stuff for the lower body (this would have probably set me back and/or need deload weeks).

I like having my workout plan laid out pretty straightforward for me. I also hate it in a way, as I've grown used to the interwebz overload of information constantly causing me to change and second-guess my programming, changing things too soon.

Either way, my upper body has always lagged behind my lower body IMO, so this is a chance to catch up. Looking forward to seeing a new DNS-based chiro this next week to really figure out my right knee issue.

Also, BTW, recent blood test shows my (natural, no TRT) total T at around 650 and my free T around 15. For a guy with 2 kids, a stable marriage, and a small business, I like to take this as a damn good sign that I'm doing a lot of things right. Vitamin D was around 37, so that will be fixed toot sweet, which should only help matters.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed May 30, 2012 7:42 pm

5/30/12:

First "cardio circuit" trial (will post link to thread later after I fully finish this entry) ever.

Maffetone's MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) HR for me = 180 - (age) = 144 bpm. Must stay below this and stay above 120 bpm.

11:50am, circuit of approx. 5 minutes of each:
  • Walking (didn't really get over 120 doing this)
  • Yogging (hard to stay under 144 doing this without lowering to a trot)
  • Stairs (easy pace kept me between 120-130)
  • Vertical Lift with 10# DBs (again, 120-130, went easy on purpose as I had no idea how hard 5 minutes would be)
  • Jump rope (about 100 jumps would put me at the MAF HR, then would walk in place until it came down into the 120s, then repeated 100 jumps)
  • Walking (didn't come down out of the 120s even though I took it easy as a cool-down)
I will be bringing more gear to my office to add to the variety and allow the heat wimps to stay indoors. On first exposure, this is awesome, I never got bored and never felt like I was working too hard that it would drain me for anything else. Fits exercise ADD perfectly, I can change exercises every time and still fully fit within the purpose of this whole thing (to simply work the aerobic system and improve its general capacity).

12:45pm at gym

Partway through my warm-up I realized that since I hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast, that the weird feeling I was having was low blood sugar. Got some food and fixed it right up, was able to complete the workout just fine (probably because I caught it early and knew what it was).

Warm-up:

Dan John tumbling series

Alternated sets of
Planche - high tuck hold 2x3sec, holding these at a higher point now
Pull-ups - step 3 jackknife pullups 2x15, this is the intermediate level

Alternated sets of
HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand, 4x30sec
Towel hang progression - step 1 bar hang 4x30sec

Skipped squatting and calf raises today, figured the new cardio circuit was enough for now.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 am

Saturday 6/2/12:

AM Cardio circuit, 5 minutes each:
Walk
Yog
Aqua rower
Stairstepper (120-130)
Elliptical (yep, 120-130)
Walk

I did not have my HR monitor, but the stairstepper and elliptical did, so when I didn't know it I kept it on the low side. Got done with the workout and felt like I had hardly done anything...I see why so many people give this up for HIIT because of this simple fact.

PM CC workout:

Warm-up:

Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x25
Planche - tuck planche raises, 2 singles that got higher than usual
Pull-ups - step 4 half pullups 2x8
HSPU progression - on parallettes, step 4 half HSPU 2x2
Calf Raises double straight leg 1x85

Towel hang - step 1 bar hang 1x75

--

Monday 6/4/12:

After the warm-up, only had about 30 minutes to complete the workout.

Warm-up:
Dan John tumbling routine, changed forward rolls to straddle forward rolls

Free handstand practice, about 6 quality attempts in total
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x20, no juice or desire to do these well today, in fact I really loathe these high-rep posterior exercises in general
Front lever - ext. tuck 3x6sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline (using barbell in rack) pushups 1x30 and
step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x5, simply to keep up with some fingertip training, hands/forearms were particularly tired before the workout today, it showed here
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 1x20, had same issue with these as the bridges, no motivation and figured I already PR'd stuff in this workout so I could take these easier

Towel hang - step 1 bar hang 2x35

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Wednesday 6/6/12:

Cardio circuit.

5 minutes each, trying to keep the HR between 124-144:
HeavyHands Pump n Walk level 2 w/ 1# DBs (head high)
Stairs
Yog
Vertical lift with knee raise (on the press portion, I lift the opposite leg up to parallel with floor with a bent knee and stand on one leg, raised the HR more this way)
Jump rope
Walk

HeavyHands worked exactly as advertised, even with 1# per hand. Got my HR up to 140 at one point, where regular vigorous walking hardly got me to 120. Yogging is still a plodding pace or I'm over my HR quickly. I have decided that the penalty for exceeding the max HR is to then walk until the HR comes down to 124 or below, then one can raise it up again. Jump rope was definitely maintaining a lower HR for 100 straight jumps today.
Last edited by Mountebank on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Friday 6/8/12:

Cardio circuit, 5 minutes each, trying to stay between 124-144bpm:
Heavyhands, 2# DBs, pumpnwalk+lateral raises+flyes
Stairs, 2 at a time and walk down
Vertical lift with leg lift, 12# DBs
Weighted hula hoop (experiment), 3#, was able to keep my HR in the 120s-low 130s even while not moving
Yog, still hitting the roof of 144 but not breaking it, I see small improvements every time
Walk

I really like these circuits. My mood is so great after I finish every time.

--

Was not able to get a third CC or cardio circuit workout in over the weekend. That sucks. Now my parents are out of town for a week, which means no help for my wife with the kids, which means workouts this week may be sparse or not happening at all. We shall see.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Tuesday 6/12/12: Cardio circuit at office.

It was amazing what the 9am heat along with the HH DBs along for the ride did for my HR.

5 minutes of each, used/carried 2# HH DBs for everything except the final Vertical Lifts.
HH Pumpnwalk level 3
Yog
Stairs
Yog (HR went too high)
Stairs (HR went too high)
Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift, 15# DBs (HR went too high)

When the HR went too high, I basically went down to a low march or walk until it came back down to what I've decided is the "bottom" of my training range, 20 beats below my MAF (so my range is 124-144).

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Thursday 6/14/12: Cardio circuit.

5 minutes of each, used/carried 2# HH DBs for everything except Vertical Lifts and rope.
HH Pumpnwalk level 3
Stairs
Jog
Vertical Lift with contralateral knee lift, 15# DBs
Jump rope
Walk (carried 2# HH DBs at side)

--

Saturday 6/16/12: CC at home.

Warm-up:

Free handstand practice on parallettes with wall as overbalance safety
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x30
Front lever - ext. tuck, 2x8sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline pushups 1x30
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises, 3x20

Towel hang - step 3 uneven hang Fat Gripz 1x15sec
Grip4orce iso hold with 20kg KB 1x5sec

--

Sunday 6/17/12: Cardio circuit, CC at home.

AM:
5 minutes of each:
HH Pumpnwalk level 3 2# HHDBs
Yog 2# HHDBs
Stairs 2# HHDBs
Vertical Lift with contralateral knee lift, 15# DBs
Jump rope
Farmer's walk carrying 10# DBs by the "hub" end (IMO, a great addition to help work on my thumb strength while still functioning as a cooldown)

PM:
Warm-up:

Planche - high tuck 1x5sec
Pull-ups - step 4 half pullups 1x9
HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU 4x2
Calf Raises double straight leg 4x50

Towel hang - step 4 one arm bar hang 1x15sec
step 3 uneven hang towel 1x15sec

The WTH effect was in evidence today. At a going away lunch for a buddy of mine, another guy (very into grip training) brought a bunch of grippers for fun. I used to have some, found them boring (and I was pretty weak at them, I was a hit or miss with the #1--particularly with my left hand--depending on what my training looked like at the time). Anyway, I crushed the #1 with both hands. Decided to have a go at the #2. Was within a 1/4" of closing it with my right, the grip guy said that he thinks I might have closed it if I had some chalk. My only grip training has been the Fat Gripz stuff (bar hangs), handstands (works the forearms more than most think), and the fingertip push-ups. I was super pleased with this, I felt like this Easy Strength approach to grip strength improvement has been validated.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 am

What a duck says wrote:Wednesday 6/6/12:

Cardio circuit.

5 minutes each, trying to keep the HR between 124-144:
HeavyHands Pump n Walk level 2 w/ 1# DBs (head high)
Stairs
Yog
Vertical lift with knee raise (on the press portion, I lift the opposite leg up to parallel with floor with a bent knee and stand on one leg, raised the HR more this way)
Jump rope
Walk

HeavyHands worked exactly as advertised, even with 1# per hand. Got my HR up to 140 at one point, where regular vigorous walking hardly got me to 120. Yogging is still a plodding pace or I'm over my HR quickly. I have decided that the penalty for exceeding the max HR is to then walk until the HR comes down to 124 or below, then one can raise it up again. Jump rope was definitely maintaining a lower HR for 100 straight jumps today.
"Yog"??
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man