Following Coach Paul Wade...the man, the myth, the legend.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: Don't drop the soap.

Post by Mountebank » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:
What a duck says wrote:Wednesday 6/6/12:

Cardio circuit.

5 minutes each, trying to keep the HR between 124-144:
HeavyHands Pump n Walk level 2 w/ 1# DBs (head high)
Stairs
Yog
Vertical lift with knee raise (on the press portion, I lift the opposite leg up to parallel with floor with a bent knee and stand on one leg, raised the HR more this way)
Jump rope
Walk

HeavyHands worked exactly as advertised, even with 1# per hand. Got my HR up to 140 at one point, where regular vigorous walking hardly got me to 120. Yogging is still a plodding pace or I'm over my HR quickly. I have decided that the penalty for exceeding the max HR is to then walk until the HR comes down to 124 or below, then one can raise it up again. Jump rope was definitely maintaining a lower HR for 100 straight jumps today.
"Yog"??
Jogging. Take your pick of the definitions, they all can fit here.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yogging
1. yogging
to run very slowly for extended periods of time.
2. Yogging
The Swedish pronunciation of the word "jogging".
3. Yogging
A simulated run when you are walking, involving moving your arms a little quicker and pickin your feet up a tad more to make it look like you are running.

I'm being somewhat hard on myself with the term usage because my pace is painfully slow most of the time in order to keep my HR beneath the MAF level of 144 for me...particularly when I started to carry the extra 4# total of HH DBs, that didn't make keeping my HR down any easier.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:35 am

Monday 6/18/12: Cardio circuit.

5 minutes of each
  • HH Pumpnwalk, 2# HH DBs
  • Yog with 2# HH DBs...had go stop 2.5 minutes in, I strained my calf, old injury repeated. Happened because of my calf work yesterday with some decent stretching after every set. Calf stretching plus running = calf strain. I should know this by now. Finished with 2.5 minutes of HH Pumpnwalk.
  • Stairs, 2 at a time, walking up with 2# HH DBs
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift during press, 15# DBs
  • 3# weighted hula hoop...figured it was a good way to continue laying off the calf, was actually able to exceed my MAF HR of 144 doing this, that was a surprise
  • Stationary stepping to 8" step holding 10# DBs by the "hub"
--

Tuesday 6/19/12: CC at gym.

Warm-up:
Supersetted [L-SIT: 4 x 5sec] and [BRIDGE HOLD 1 x 10 sec + 2 x 5 sec]
FULL TWIST: 1 x 20 sec (per side)

Dan John tumbling routine with straddle rolls
Skin the cat, 1 minute
Hip flexor stretch, 1 minute

Free handstand practice
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 3x20
Front lever - ext. tuck 2x8sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline push-ups 2x25, step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x15
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 3x20

Towel hang - step 3 uneven hang towel 1x15sec

--

Thursday 6/21/12: CC at gym.

Skin the cat, 1 minute
Hip flexor stretch, 1 minute

Planche - tuck planche raises 4x2
Pull-ups - step 3 jackknife pullups 3x12
HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand 4x35sec
skipped Calf Raises

Towel hang - step 3 uneven hang FG 4x7sec

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:19 am

OK, that's sort of what I thought.

I am getting Maffetone's "Big Book" based on the discussions I've seen here and elsewhere - anything special you'd like to comment about?
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:OK, that's sort of what I thought.

I am getting Maffetone's "Big Book" based on the discussions I've seen here and elsewhere - anything special you'd like to comment about?
I don't have the book, just using the 180-age to determine the HR ceiling until I decide that I have become "fit" enough to raise it to 180-age+5 beats.

I think there's enough info on his site and others who use it to not need the book, but YMMV.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Friday 6/22/12: Cardio circuit at office.

5 minutes of each
  • Stairs, 2 at a time, bounding up with 2# HH DBs
  • HH stationary stuff with 2# DBs, don't know the names
  • 3# weighted hula hoop
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift during press, 15# DBs
  • Walking holding 10# DBs by the "hub"
--

Sunday 6/24/12: Weighted carry walk.

Went for a walk with the family, my wife got the stroller, I took a KB.

18 minutes total, one 26# KB (went light, had no idea how it would go):
2 minutes farmer's walk
2 minutes rack walk
1 minute waiter's walk
repeat other side, then
4 minutes farmer's walk each side

At least I got something in, felt pretty good afterward, but HR was only in the low 90s at the most through this, it wasn't hard at all.
--

Monday 6/25/12: Cardio circuit at office.

5 minutes of each
  • 3# weighted hula hoop
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift during press, 20# DBs, moved up in weight, definitely felt it more in the arms and HR
  • Walking holding 12# DBs by the "hub", this was definitely harder, had to break into two sets with a regular farmer's walk in between
Pretty sure I'm going to move up to the 3# HH DBs soon. Calf is still not 100%, but it definitely isn't noticeable now.
--

Tuesday 6/26/12: CC at gym.

Warm-up:

Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x35
Front lever - ext. tuck 2x10sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 2 incline pushups 3x40, progression goal reached, now on to kneeling push-ups, I don't think that step will take long AND step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x6, just did it to get some fingertip work in
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 2x30
Free handstand practice, didn't do much of this after all the push-ups, shoulders and triceps were pretty toasted

One leg SLDL with 35# KB contralateral, 1x5
Pistol to low box, 1x2, knee let me know it was there, but really only because my right quad is weaker from disuse and my knee caved in a little on the second rep

Towel hang - step 2 bar hang 4x35sec
step 3 uneven hang towel 15sec

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:57 am

Wednesday 6/27/12: Cardio circuit at office.

Raining outside, humid at ~100deg F, so I did everything indoors except the covered stairs.

5 minutes of each
  • NordicTrack
  • 3# weighted hula hoop
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift during press, 20# DBs
  • 8" stepping while holding 12# DBs by the "hub", still broke into two separate pieces with a farmer break in between
Schweaty.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Saturday 6/30/12: CC at home gym.

Warm-up:
Supersetted [L-SIT: 4x5sec] and [BRIDGE HOLD 1x10sec + 2x5sec]
FULL TWIST: 1x20sec (per side)

Pull-ups - step 3 jackknife pullups 4x10, set-up was slightly higher than I use at the gym, grip is the first thing giving out, forearms seem to be getting pumped really easily from these
HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand (parallettes today) 4x40sec

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x15, definitely have not been doing enough fingertip work lately
Calf Raises double straight leg 1x90, L strained calf seemed to do fine (just short of two weeks from injury, wore a compressive shin sleeve all day today), but damn these reps take forever!

There may be a walk this afternoon...TBA.
Towel hang - step 2 bar hang 2x45sec, then step 3 uneven hang FG 1x15sec

Proper hydration during this heat wave included 2 beers...with another one and an orange cream soda as backups. PWO will be some salmon and ice cream.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Sunday 7/1/12: CC at home, cardio circuit at home.

Warm-up:

alternated
Front lever - ext. tuck 4x5sec
Planche - tuck 4x5sec

alternated
Towel hang - step 3 uneven hang towel 2x10sec
HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU on parallettes 1x3, then one set of HS balance on parallettes with wall support for ~10sec

Skipped the bridge and leg raise progressions today, partially due to the fact I was going to do a cardio circuit afterwards, and partially due to the face that my middle back was sore from pushing pretty hard on the bridge stretch yesterday...

then...

Cardio circuit, done indoors in front of the TV (started The Expendables):
  • HH pump w/ side kick using 3# HH DBs, rotated between kicking straight ahead, outside, and across midline
  • HH cross punches with kickbacks using 3# HH DBs
  • HH stationary double ski poling using 3# HH DBs
  • Squat to push press (aka thruster) using 12# DBs
  • KB swings to waist height using 26# KB
  • Side stepping while holding 12# DBs with a "hub" grip (totaled 4.5 minutes in two broken sets)
I was very pleased with how this turned out, because I had to train indoors with the kids napping. Pretty easily broke the ceiling HR of 144 on the double ski poling, thrusters, and KB swings, when that happened I just went to easy walking in place until my HR came down into the 120s so I could resume.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Monday 7/2/12: Cardio circuit at office.

It had been two weeks since my left calf strain. It felt fine by now, so I decided to try running again. Extremely poor decision, as I very mildly strained it again. I knew it as soon as it happened and then left it alone as much as I could for the rest of the workout. I have a plan to harden the calf once it is healed so that I will be able to run again without straining it...which will start two weeks from now...

5 minutes of each, keeping HR below 144:
  • (warmup)HH 3# DBs, 1 minute of each...pumpnwalk level 1, level 2, level 3, knuckles up pump level 3, straight arm pump level 3
  • Yog holding 3# HH DBs, strained calf at 3 minute mark :imsofuckinmad: , finished up segment with pumpnwalk
  • Stationary stuff with 3# HH DBs, rotating between pump with straight ahead, outside, and across midline kicks and cross punches with heel kickbacks
  • NordicTrack
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift during press, 20# DBs
  • (cooldown) Walking with 12# hex DBs by the "hub"
--

Tuesday 7/3/12: CC workout at gym.

Warm-up:
Foot drills
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 2x30, argh, just like the step before this one, I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF THESE SUPER HIGH REP BRIDGES :Hangman:
Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 2x35

Front lever - ext. tuck, 3x7sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 2x15, reached intermediate level on these

Free handstand practice, 2sets
Towel hang progression - step 3 uneven hang towel 2x10sec

--

Wednesday 7/4/12: Barbell session at home. (!!!) <<<<q

My right knee seems to be progressing to the point that I feel comfortable working back in some lower body stuff. I haven't decided on a sets and reps approach yet--will either be 5/3/1 or PTTP or reverse pyramid--until I see that the knee is holding up as I move to heavier weights I'll just be sticking with straight sets. Accessory movements will be one set of each exercise, 10-15 reps per side. One day per week will be barbell stuff, rotating weeks of:
  • Front squats with accessory contralateral KB one-leg stiff-leg DL and single leg hip thrusts
  • Barbell hip thrusts with accessory KB pistols and contralateral KB one-leg stiff-leg DL
  • Conventional DLs with accessory KB pistols and single leg hip thrusts
[/i]

Warmup:
1 minute each of deep squat, sitting on heels, and sitting cross-legged

Rotated through sets of:
Front squat 45#(bar) x 10reps x 5, there was knee cracking but no pain during or afterwards, wore my TK sleeve
One arm hang 5sec x 5sets
Parallette HS hold 5 sets (with wall as overbalance safety), hit several of these without touching the wall at all, very happy with that

Contralateral KB one-leg SLDL 12kg x 10reps
Single-leg hip thrust 10reps

I really felt like this was a great full-body workout. Pretty damn tired afterwards. Loading the legs and spine definitely takes more out of me than just doing upper-body-centric CC stuff.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 pm

The babysitting grandparents left town on Thursday. That almost always fucks up my schedule.

Saturday 7/7/12: Cardio circuit outside at home. Probably 105F.
  • (warmup) HH 3# DBs, 1 minute of each...pumpnwalk level 1, level 2, level 3, knuckles up pump level 3, straight arm pump level 3
  • Stationary double ski poling with HH 3# DBs
  • 9# CBs swipes
  • Alternated thrusters with HH 3# DBs 10 reps with hip bridges holding HH 3# DBs on hips 10 reps
  • KB swings with 12kg KB to hip height
  • (cooldown) Walking holding the 9# CBs by the fat end (like a hub grip)
Violated the MAF of 144 bpm multiple times during the workout even when I wasn't feeling that much effort being put forth, the heat definitely caused that.

I had great plans for a CC workout after this, but I was drained and my grip was pretty much toast.

--

Sunday 7/8/12: Cardio circuit at home AM, abbreviated CC session at home PM.

AM:
This was a totally stationary workout done in front of the TV while watching the Chapelle Show on NetFlix. Everyone was asleep.
  • (warmup) Stationary pumpnkick with HH 3# DBs, outside/straight/crossover, also punches with heel kickbacks and lateral steps with hand figure 8s, I couldn't even get my HR above 120 doing this, will need to find something else
  • Stationary double ski poling with HH 3# DBs
  • 9# CBs alternating side armpit cast with contralateral knee raise
  • Thrusters with HH 3# DBs
  • KB swings with 12kg KB to hip height
  • (cooldown) Marching in place holding the 9# CBs by the fat end (like a hub grip)
HR was much lower in this workout than yesterdays, a 30 degree F difference can do that! There was times where muscular failure was getting close and yet my HR was still in the 130s...totally the opposite of yesterday where I would violate the MAF and yet feel totally fine.

PM:

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - haha, totally screwed this up and did incline pushups instead of kneeling pushups, also didn't even do enough!...step 2 incline pushups 1x30, step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x6 (to get some fingertip work in)
Pull-ups progression - step 3 jackknife pullups 1x17, I do not like doing these at my house because my feet slip on the ground, even with a piece of that grippy cupboard liner under my feet

HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand on parallettes 3x50sec
Towel hang progression - step 2 bar hang 3x45sec and step 3 uneven hang Fat Gripz 1x10sec + towel 1x10sec

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 am

Babysitting grandma still out of town, so I used my "no patients, get shit done morning" today to get in a CC and cardio circuit workout after seeing my chiro.

Knee pain has been gone for a good while now, even with all the squatting stuff I've been doing lately. My chiro commented on how good things felt when she was adjusting me, actually asked me if I'd had a massage very recently. I'd say that my workouts and the exercises she gives me are doing their job!

--

Wednesday 7/11/12: CC at gym, followed by cardio circuit at office.

Warm-up:
1 min each of skin the cat stretch and hip flexor stretch

Deadlift 135# x 5 x 5, still taking it very easy on the knee just to make sure everything is OK, previously even DLs would aggravate the crap out of it
Hang from bar decompression 10sec
HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU 5 x 1rep

Pistols 6kg x 2
One leg hip thrusts 0#x15reps

Everything felt good, even without my knee sleeve.

Cardio circuit:
  • (warmup) HH 3# DBs, 1 minute of each...pumpnwalk level 1, level 2, level 3, knuckles up pump level 3, straight arm pump level 3
  • HH 3# DBs, ran up single stairs until I hit MAF, then walked up single stairs for the rest, no noise from right calf at all \:D/
  • 3# hula hoop, still trying to go easy on the calf as this is when I'd normally run, lost something like 4 minutes when I couldn't find the link to my favorite damn Pandora workout radio station. Oh well.
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift with 20# DBs, getting easier!
  • 3# HH DBs stationary figure 8s with heel kickbacks and pumps with kicks
  • (cooldown) Walking holding 12# DBs hub grip, did small figure 8s and forwards eyes closed and backwards (assignment by the chiro)
I want to run again, but that won't be for a while. At least I'm doing the barbell stuff with no knee pain now.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Friday 7/13/12: Cardio circuit at office.

Cardio circuit:
  • HH 3# DBs, ran up single stairs
  • Jump rope
  • Vertical lift with contralateral knee lift with 20# DBs
  • 3# hula hoop
  • (cooldown) Walking holding 12# DBs hub grip, did small figure 8s and forwards eyes closed and backwards, added some lateral stepping and cariocas (assignment by the chiro)
--

Saturday 7/14/12: CC at home.

Warm-up:

Leg raises progression - step 2 flat knee raises 3x35, HIT NUMBERS FOR NEXT PROGRESSION STEP, thank goodness
Free handstand practice on parallettes with wall for overbalance spot, 3 sets

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 3x15 (only did the 5 initial fingertip reps on the first two sets)
Pull-ups progression - step 4 half pullups 1x10

Towel hang progression - step 2 bar hang 4x40sec
Free handstand practice on parallettes with wall for overbalance spot, 4 sets

--

Sunday 7/15/12: CC and cardio at home.

Warm-up:
Hip flexor stretch R+L and skin-the-cat, 1 minute each

Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 3x25
Free handstand practice on parallettes (wall overbalance support), 3 sets

Front lever - ext. tuck 4x6sec
Planche - full tuck 4x5sec
Calf Raises double straight leg 4x50

Free handstand practice on parallettes (wall overbalance support), 4 sets
Towel hang progression - step 3 uneven hang FG 1x20sec

Cardio was a LOL. My daughter was awake from her nap and was done with being outside in the hot garage with me, so we went inside. I had a crazy idea of playing Just Dance 2 on the Wii with her while using my 3# HH DBs and monitoring my HR. I did, that shit was hard on my arms, but doable! HR was in the 120s-130s most of the time with the DB additions. Did an extra 5 minutes of marching in place holding the 9# CBs by the fat end for some easy grip work while my daughter kept playing.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 am

Fuuuuuuu. The (kids') grandparents are going out of town again this week...I hope they have fun, but it really gets in the way of my training and the wife and I's alone time when we don't have babysitting.

Tuesday 7/17/12: Cardio circuit at home, CC at gym.

6:30am in living room
5 minutes of each station
  • (warmup) 3# HH DBs, 1 minute each - punches with contralateral knee lifts, figure 8s with heel kickbacks, lateral steps with lateral raises, reverse lunges with contralateral pump, lateral steps with flyes
  • Thrusters with 3# HH DBs
  • KB swings with 12kg KB
  • CB drumming with contralateral knee lift
  • Double ski poling with heel raises with 3# HH DBs
  • 9# CBs held by fat end, lateral stepping
Noon at gym

Warm-up:
Foot drills
1 minute each of skin-the-cat stretch and hip flexor stretches

5 cycles through:
BB hip thrusts 135# x 5 x 5
Free handstand practice, 5 sets
Towel hang progression - step 3 uneven hang towel 5x10sec

Pistols with DB, 15# x 3reps/side
One leg SLDL with contralateral DB, 30# x 15reps/side

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Saturday 7/21/12: Cardio circuit & CC at home.

7am
  • (warmup) 3# HH DBs, 1 minute each - punches with contralateral knee lifts, figure 8s with heel kickbacks, lateral steps with lateral raises, reverse lunges with double arm pump, lateral steps with flyes
  • KB swings with 12kg KB
  • 9# CBs drumming (single arm CB armpit cast) with contralateral knee lift
  • Prone, 3# HH DBs sit-ups x 10reps, alternated with 3# HH DBs single leg hip bridges (other leg held in air)

4pm
Warm-up:
1 minute each of skin-the-cat and hip flexor stretches

HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand 80sec

Front lever - ext. tuck 4x7sec
Planche - tuck 4x6 sec
Calf Raises progression - double straight leg 4x60

Towel hang progression - step 3 uneven hang towel 20sec

--

Sunday 7/22/12: Cardio circuit and CC at home.

7:30am
  • (warmup) 3# HH DBs, 1 minute each - punches with contralateral knee lifts, figure 8s with heel kickbacks, lateral steps with lateral raises, reverse lunges with double arm pump, lateral steps with flyes
  • Double ski poling with heel raise 3# HH DBs
  • KB swings with 12kg KB, made it the whole 5 minutes without having to stop from hitting MAF HR
  • Prone, 3# HH DBs sit-ups x 10reps, alternated with 3# HH DBs single leg hip bridges (other leg held in air)
11am
Warm-up:
1 minute each of skin-the-cat and hip flexor stretches

Pull-ups progression - step 4 half pullups 1x10, was not able to set a new PR on this today, oh well

HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU 1x5, achieved beginner level finally!

Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 1x40

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x25

Leg raises progression - step 3 flat bent leg raises 1x10

Towel hang progression - step 4 one arm bar hang 1x17sec

Made it a quick workout, was just glad to get something in today.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Monday 7/23/12: DLs at gym.

Grip and biceps pretty fried from the weekend (those half pull-ups are harder than the real ones, I swear), so I decided to change things a bit today, leave the grip work until the end--DLs should cover that enough--and start doing my jackknife pull-ups in the gym the next time around (they don't work well in my home gym because the floor is too slick).

Bridges 10, 5, 5sec
L-sits 4x5sec
Twist 1x20sec
Foot drills
Dan John tumbling routine with straddle rolls and backward rolls
1 minute each of hip flexor stretch and weighted (10# big bumper plate) standing bent-over shoulder hyperextension stretch

Conv DLs 135# x 5, 145# x 5 x 4sets, the plan is to add 10# each workout and as my weights go up to turn the first two sets into warmups once they pass 185#, then stick with a 25/45 jump warm-up...things will go slow as I only hit DLs once every 3 weeks in this rotation, but a year should have me 170# higher than I am now for 3x5 if I stick with it...I can be patient with the DL, I' in no rush
Bar hang decompression 10sec x 5
Half HSPUs against wall 5 x 2reps, I tried hitting a 2-leg hop into a handstand today, got it, pretty stoked about that! :happiness:

Pistols 6kg x 5
Single leg hip thrusts (foot on floor) no weight x 13reps

Twist 20sec

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Thursday 7/26/12: CC and cardio circuit at gym.

Warm-up:
Foot drills
Hip flexor and skin-the-cat stretches, 1 minute each

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 2x20
Pull-ups progression - step 3 jackknife pullups 1x20

I was happy with the PRs on those first two exercises...then I didn't have much left for the rest of the workout.

HSPU progression - step 3 wall handstand 2x45sec
Towel hang progression - step 2 bar hang 2x45sec
Calf Raises progression - double straight leg 2x65

Cardio circuit immediately following...I had the time, so I decided to take advantage of nearly all the conditioning gear at my buddy's gym, versus what I would normally do at the office or home.

Cardio circuit (staying under 144bpm MAF HR):
  • (warm-up) Rowing
  • 10# sledgehammer on tire
  • Prowler on turf with 90# added, mostly a "walking push"
  • 12kg KB swings to hip height, 10 per side then switch
  • 10 air squats followed by 10 hindu squats, repeat
  • (cooldown) Walking forward eyes closed and backwards while holding 10# DBs by the end
Very difficult to stay under 144bpm with these modalities at my current aerobic fitness level! My quads actually started to cramp during the air squats. I go to Phoenix with the family this weekend for our little summer vacation...hoping to get in one hour-long cardio session and one CC session at the hotel gym.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Re: Following Coach Paul Wade...the man, the myth, the legen

Post by Mountebank » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Saturday 7/28/12: Long cardio circuit at resort hotel.

3 rounds through, 5 minutes of each:
  • C2 rower
  • StepMill (Gauntlet)
  • Arm cycle
  • Elliptical with upper body attachments
Other than a bit tedious to do for an hour (I wanted to make up for two sessions), it was actually pretty enjoyable. I did miss one of my CC sessions this week, just couldn't pull it off with my parents out of town (no grandparents to help) and the long weekend vacation (the first we've taken with the 16-month-old boy). No big deal.

I have been gaining both weight and muscle on this program. I added a daily maintenance dose of creatine to my morning shake...Monday morning I weighed in a 209#. People are noticing...on the same day, my chiro asked if I was getting leaner, a cute TJs employee I know simply stated "you're getting bigger, aren't you?" While not necessarily a result I was expecting, I'm cool with it.
--

Thursday 8/2/12: CC at gym, cardio circuit at office.

Lunchtime workout.

Warm-up:
Foot drills
Hip flexor and skin-the-cat stretches, 1 minute each

Front squats, bar x 10reps x 2, 55# x 5 x 3, still being very cautious on the knee
Two arm bar hangs, 45sec x 4sets
Handstands (some free, some wall)

After work.

Cardio circuit, 5 minutes of each, MAF=144bpm.
  • HH 3# DBs, ran up single stairs
  • NordicTrack x-country skier, I just realized now that I should have done the vertical lift but I forgot it
  • 3# hula hoop
  • Jump rope
  • (cooldown) Walking holding 12# DBs hub grip, did small figure 8s and forwards eyes closed and backwards, added some lateral stepping and cariocas (assignment by the chiro)
I do really like these circuits at the office, totally alone. It felt like it had been a while since I did one there, a quick glance through my log shows that it had been over two weeks.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Saturday 8/4/12: Cardio circuit and CC at home.

7AM

5 minutes of each:
  • (warmup) 3# HH DBs, 1/4 reverse lunges with level 2-3 double arm pump
  • KB swings with 12kg KB
  • (cooldown) 9# CBs held by fat end, lateral stepping
4PM

Did not get to do my normal warm-up. Had to train in the house while helping to watch the kids so my wife could work. I swear there isn't a single surface in my house with enough traction to do bridges, there's hardly one that works well for the straight bridges at that. Did the best with what I had!

Wall handstand hold, 4 x 45sec
Leg raises progression - step 3 flat bent leg raises 2x15, intermediate level
Bridge progression - step 2 straight bridges 3x35, so close to the final progression number of 3x40...I so want to be past this exercise!
Calf Raises progression - double straight leg 4x65

--

Sunday 8/5/12: Cardio circuit and CC at home.

7AM
5 minutes of each:
  • 3# HH DBs, double ski poling with calf raise
  • 10 air squats alternated with 10 hindu squats
4PM
Warm-up:

HSPU progression - step 4 half HSPU 3x3
Pull-ups progression - step 4 half pullups 3x5

Single-leg SLDL contralateral KB 44#x10reps
Planche - tuck 9sec
Single-leg hip thrusters, no weight x 15reps
Front lever - ext. tuck 8sec, had nothing left for this

Towel hang progression - step 2 bar hang 3x50sec, I can see the 4x60 finish line from here!!!

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Oops...a full week behind on my entries.

Friday 8/10/12: RDLs at the Globo Gym.

Went to my buddy's gym, no one was there. I needed to check out the Globo Gym my wife wants to join, so I went there to get a free pass. I was not impressed, nor was I expecting to be. No time for a warm-up.

RDLs: bar x 10, 95# x 5, 135 x 5 x 3
Half HSPU: 3reps x 4
Jack-knife pull-ups: 10reps x 4

Pistols 10# x 5
Single leg BW hip thrusts 15reps

--

Saturday 8/11/12: Yogging at home, CC at home gym.

6:30am
33 minutes of:
5 minutes walking
23 minutes of yogging for 30 seconds, walking for 60 seconds, taking the roughest path I could find
5 minutes walking

3pm

Warm-up:

Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 3x20reps
Leg raises progression - step 3 flat bent leg raises 1x20reps
Calf Raises progression - double straight leg 3x70reps
Pull-ups progression - step 4 half pullups 3x5reps
Towel hang progression - step 3 uneven hang FG 2x15sec

--

Sunday 8/12/12: Cardio Circuit at home.

5 minutes each, MAF HR = 144bpm
  • 3# HH DBs sit-ups x 10reps, alternated with 3# HH DBs single leg hip bridges (other leg held in air)
  • KB swings with 12kg KB
--

Wednesday 8/15/12: BB hip thrusts at gym.

Warm-up:
Foot drills
Skin-the-cat and hip flexor stretches, 1 minute each

BB hip thrusts 135 x 5 x 2, 145 x 5 x 3
Wall handstand 4 x 50sec
Jack-knife pull-ups 4 x 12reps

Ran out of time and energy for my single leg SLDL and pistols. Plan on doing them this weekend.
--

Saturday 8/18/12: Yogging and Cardio Circuit at home.

6AM
33 minutes of:
5 minutes walking
23 minutes of yogging for 40 seconds, walking for 40 seconds, taking the roughest path I could find
5 minutes walking

7:15AM (after the boy woke up and fed him breakfast)
5 minutes each, MAF HR = 144bpm
  • 3# HH DBs sit-ups x 10reps, alternated with 3# HH DBs single leg hip bridges (other leg held in air)
  • KB swings with 12kg KB
CC will hopefully be added here later today.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Ended up getting in no more workouts last weekend, so I decided to call it a deload week after the fact.

Wednesday 8/22/12: Front squats and cardio circuit at gym.

Foot drills
Skin-the-cat, sitting on heels, standing straddle, full squat, and standing hip flexor stretches, 1 minute each

Front squats: bar x 5, 65# x 5 x 4, no pain in knee, just cracking, wore knee sleeve on right
Wall half HSPU: 3reps x 4
Jackknife pull-ups: 13reps x 4, goal is 20x4

Single leg SLDL contralateral KB: 20kg x 11
Single leg hip thrusts: 10# x 10

followed immediately by Cardio Circuit...

5 minutes of each, MAF=144
  • Rowing
  • Prowler push-walk, 50# added
  • 10# sledge tire hitting
  • One-arm KB swings, 12kg
  • 10 air squats then 10 hindu squats
  • Walking forward, sidestep, walking backward, carioca while holding 10# DBs by the end
--

Saturday 8/25/12: Run/walk in morning at home, CC in afternoon in garage

6AM
5 minutes walking warm-up with 5# head weight
20 minutes of 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, repeat
5 minutes of walking cool-down with 5# head weight

No knee pain, only a little calf soreness in a non-strain area. This is great progress!

3:30PM

Front lever - ext. tuck, 3x8sec
Fingertip (first 5 reps of set) push-ups progression - step 3 kneeling push-ups 1x30
Leg raises progression - step 3 flat bent leg raises 1x25

Parallette HS with wall spot, 3 sets of at least 5 sec of not touching wall
Towel hang progression - step 2 bar hang 2x60sec

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't want to put too much time into this, I'm already a week overdue.

Let's see.

Wednesday 8/29/12: Lifting at gym, cardio circuit at office.

Lunchtime: RDLs, 145# x 5reps x 4sets, also did some half HSPUs (4x3reps) and jackknife pullups (4x12reps), and did my single leg hip thrusts (11reps with 10#) and pistols (6 per leg holding one 10# DB)

Cardio circuit at office around 5:30pm...tried out the Systema shuffle in between stairs, otherwise nothing exciting.

--

Thursday 8/30: Yog at home.

AM:
Did Systema Shuffle up the hills, walked everything else, taking uneven routes when I could. I don't know WTF I stepped on or what, but I think I either severely bruised my ball-of-foot on the left or I might have even caused a stress fracture. What I do know is that my left BOF feels swollen in the morning and has since (it's now 9/8, so a week and a half). I've been using some creams (Inflamyar) and doing some laser, it is improving, not gone yet. Not running again until this shit is resolved.

PM:
Got the vasectomy. Doctor's order, no training for a full week. I listened. No complications, and I'll be BAREBACK 4 LYFE in 20-30 ejaculations, once I've been confirmed as unloaded weaponry.

--

It's now Saturday the 8th of September, I'm hoping to get in a super duper workout tomorrow, today was just too damn busy with kid stuff (not happy about it, but rolling with the punches). I will be back on track next week.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Last week's stuff.

Wednesday 9/12/12: BB hip thrusts at gym.

Foot drills
Skin-the-cat, sitting on heels, standing straddle, full squat, and standing hip flexor stretches, 1 minute each

BB Hip thrusts 135 x 5, 155 x 5 x 4
Wall handstand hold 85sec
Jack-knife pull-ups 20reps

Because of catching up with the guys in the gym due to my surgical leave, I only got in 7 freaking sets plus the warm-up in 1.5 hours. Sad but necessary.

--

Saturday 9/15/12: Cardio circuit at home, CC at home.

7AM
Did the JumpStretch scapular mobility and soft+hard rolls to warmup.

Cardio circuit, 5 minutes of each
  • 3# HH DBs, rotating x-country strides in place with sidestep+unilateral raise
  • 9# CBs alternating armpit casts with contralateral and ipsilateral knee raises
  • 3# HH DBs, reverse lunges with contralateral pump
  • 12kg KB one-arm swings, switching every 10 reps
  • 3# HH DBs 10 situps rotated with 10 single leg alternating hip bridges
  • 10 air squats rotated with 10 Hindu squats
  • 12kg KB 10 RDLs rotated with 10 goatbag hinges
  • 9# CBs held by fat end with sidestepping
3:30PM

Bridge progression - step 3 angled bridges 1x8, 2x15, 3x30 (high 1x8, total 1x8)
Leg raises progression - step 3 flat bent leg raises 3x15

Towel hang progression - step 4 one arm bar hang 10sec

--

Sunday 9/16/12: Cardio circuit at home.

7AM
Cardio circuit, 5 minutes of each
  • 3# HH DBs, rotating x-country strides in place with sidestep+unilateral raise
  • 9# CBs alternating armpit casts with contralateral and ipsilateral knee raises
  • Single leg step ups to thigh-parallel-height box
  • 12kg KB one-arm swings, switching every 10 reps
  • 3# HH DBs 10 situps rotated with 10 single leg alternating hip bridges
  • 10 air squats rotated with 10 Hindu squats
  • 12kg KB 10 RDLs rotated with 10 goatbag hinges
  • 3# HH DBs, lying on ground, simultaneous double ski poling with knee tucks
  • 9# CBs held by fat end with sidestepping
My legs were toast after two days of that and not being accustomed to full lunges or that many step-ups.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 am

Friday 9/21/12: Front squats at gym.

Foot drills

Front squats 45# x 10, 95 x 5 x 4, jumped up 30# instead of the previously planned 10 because I have been feeling no pain at any time in the knee anymore! (damn I wish my chiro didn't move away!)
Half HSPU 5 x 3reps
Jack-knife pull-ups 3 x 15reps

Single leg SLDL 20kg x 11reps/side
Single leg hip thrusts 10# x 11reps/side

I don't know WTF happened, but my back tightened up this afternoon. I think it happened when I was getting into a wall handstand and I missed the pole with my feet, overextending my back a bit. Did some laser on it, will see how things go tonight after a couple beers.