Following Coach Paul Wade...the man, the myth, the legend.

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Sassenach
ironslinger

Re: Why am I training like this? Because FUCK YOU, THAT'S W

Post by Sassenach » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:40 am

Quackmire wrote:
Did I mention that my office is RIGHT ACROSS THE DAMN STREET from Rep. Giffords' office!?!?
Oh shit.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 am

Look at the bright side, at least the traffic near your spot is high for now and that could mean increased business.

Out of every tragedy comes a bright side, and this may be your bright side.

However, what happened in AZ is disgusting, people appall me at times with the evil they can do.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:36 am

Hey, just a parental word of advice. You've been through this before, ya'll know how to take care of a baby. The challenge this time around is multi-tasking. It was four weeks before I thought I might attempt leaving the house with both kids by myself. But, the learning curve is a lot shorter. By the time you get to number 3 (if that's in the plans), its just about time management, you realize there aren't 28 hours in the day, and you just adapt. ;)

The best thing I did was to hire my neighbor's 9 year old as a "mother's helper" to come play with my not-quite-2-year-old in the afternoon after school when I had just about had enough, my husband wasn't home yet, and I needed to make dinner and give baths.

(There are 21 months between my first and second and 22 between my second and third.)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 pm

syaigh wrote:Hey, just a parental word of advice. You've been through this before, ya'll know how to take care of a baby. The challenge this time around is multi-tasking. It was four weeks before I thought I might attempt leaving the house with both kids by myself. But, the learning curve is a lot shorter. By the time you get to number 3 (if that's in the plans), its just about time management, you realize there aren't 28 hours in the day, and you just adapt. ;)

The best thing I did was to hire my neighbor's 9 year old as a "mother's helper" to come play with my not-quite-2-year-old in the afternoon after school when I had just about had enough, my husband wasn't home yet, and I needed to make dinner and give baths.

(There are 21 months between my first and second and 22 between my second and third.)
Ash, thanks for those words, could use some of that right now.

Syaigh, thanks for the advice. There is no number 3 in the plans, ever, but neither the wife nor I plan on getting cut so I've been spending more time reading here: http://malecontraceptives.org/index.php [-o<

The 2-year-old still takes a nice afternoon nap, which maintains my wife's sanity. She will definitely need to get some more regular help, a neighborhood kid would be nice (don't know of any old enough yet), and my parents are about to retire in March with my mother being the UBERGrandma in terms of helpfulness. Thank G-d for her and all the free time she's about to have. :happiness:

My hopes for the coming heir that we were blessed with in the first girl: no spitting up, not putting random shit in his mouth, sleeping awesomely within 5 weeks, a very non-picky eater, and showing my wife the affection of the kind our little girl gives me (she's a daddy's girl, what can I say). If we could have some semblance of a repeat of those things, I'll be very happy.

On another note. I've gone on walks, maybe 15-20 minutes, the last 3 days. Trying to not think about anything and not taking the cell phone with me, sometimes not even a watch. I have slept pretty darn well 2 of 3 of those nights and I know why the one night wasn't a good one.

Things are definitely looking up.

Really hoping to get in a workout, maybe a long one, today (Tuesday).

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:13 pm

I've done a couple workouts since my last entry, I'm not even going to bother typing them out.

Been doing some prehab a la Gray Cook. Even on easy workouts, I'm not coming out of them as peppy as I'd like.

Work has been slow, this is a big stress right now. Lunch/workout breaks have been filled with meetings many days to figure out a plan to increase/diversify income. Sleep has been shitty due particularly to poor breathing from the remnants of this cold that is going around. Eating has been okay, but not enough quantity most days.

Good things are in process for me work-wise. I'm on a very short list to work for a soon-to-open medical marijuana clinic (not dispensary), which I hear pays very well and is low-stress. Short-term goal is to work to the point of a 4-day work week, long-term is to a 20-hour work week.

Anyway, back to training stuff. Near future plans are to enter the April TSC at my buddy's gym and beat my scores from last year, and potentially enter the Warrior Dash in AZ.

Also, if you're reading this, make sure to check out the seminar coming up in DFW:
http://puttingitalltogetherseminars.blogspot.com/

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Thursday 2/10/11: TSC pull-up max test, halting DLs, KB swings.

Over/unders a la Barry Ross.

Tested TSC-style pull-up "near max" (bottom of jaw touches top of bar, thumbless pronated grip, no kip). Got 13 reps.

Sumo "halting" DLs. Normal with double overhand on warm-up sets, then went to hook grip and lifted to above knee then dropped it on heaviest work sets (ie. 275# today). Doing the "no obvious face strain" limitation on weight/reps, I will expand on this later in a different forum.
Warmups: 135, 185, 225 all for a set of 5.
Work sets: 275# x 3, 275# x 2, all reps done as singles with a stand-up reset between.

Double KBs HS swings: 53#s x 10reps x 3 sets

I was happy with this workout, felt good afterwards, feeling good the day after. It was not done according to the program I'm supposed to be on though, will work on fixing that later.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Friday 2/11/11: Nothing.

--

Saturday 2/12/11: HS KB snatches, pull-ups.

Over/unders to warm up hips. Hung from the bar.

50 alternating single KB HS swings to warm-up.

2 sets of 5 TSC-style pull-ups, chest to bar. Did 2 more sets of 5 after the snatch portion.

Snatches, for 15 minutes, with 16kg KB, did 7 snatches in 15 seconds, 15 sec rest, switch to other hand for same thing.

--

Sunday 2/13/11: Early Valentine's Day.

Hung out with my lady, went to Mexican food, then saw KODO in concert. Awesome.

--

Monday 2/14/11: Missed workout.

Some people just talk too much. My last appt. before lunch showed up a half-hour late, and felt the need to give me a paragraph answer to unasked questions, so I missed my workout. Someday I will be in a place where I can tell them "tough, you show up late, you come back some other time". Now is not that time. Did I mention she was a psychic AND a medium?

--

Tuesday 2/15/11: Back squats, KB swings, SLDLs.

Over/unders.

Back squat warm-up: Bar x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 5
Back squat work sets: 210 x 3, 225 x 3, 235 x 6

Still doing the "no face strain" thing. I like it, I feel a lot better after my workouts, and my stress is very high right now, so worsening it with exercise is not a current goal of mine.

Double KB HS swings: 53#s x 10reps x 3sets

Double KB single leg DL (2SLDL): 44#s x 5reps R/L

Single KB contralateral single leg DL (1SLDL): 44# x 5 reps R/L

Did some stretching between sets. Damn my hip flexors got tight over the time I've been neglecting them.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I don't want to type in everything in detail.

Last week's workouts included:

KB snatches, 35#. 7 R in 15 sec, 15 sec rest, repeat on L. 17 rounds.
Pull-ups, 6 sets of 4 reps.
BB power shrugs, up to 325# x 5reps x 2
--
Sumo DL, worked up to 275# x 3 x 3.
Sumo Box SQ with mini bands, 200# x 2reps x 6.
Back extensions, 3 x 15.
--

The most recent 3 workouts have been:

5/3/1 day back squats, up to 245# x 5.
Double 53# KBs HS swings, 4 x 10reps
Pull-ups, 10 sets of 3 reps.
1 set of 5 reps of each on the 44# 2SLDL and 1SLDL.
--
KB snatches, 44#, 5 L + 5 R on the minute for 20 minutes
Pull-ups, 7 sets of 4 reps.
BB shrugs, up to 335# x 5 reps x 2
--
Sumo DLs, switched to Shaf's ladders. 285# x 1,2,3,1,2,3. I like this a lot. Keeping it. The extra volume really helped me to feel when my form was off or on, I learned an important part for me about the start in terms of torso angle and pre-tensioning the bar (how to be consistent), the two came together for me.
Pull-ups, switched to the "ratchet" ladder. 1,2,3,2,3,4,3,4,5=27.
--

This week is supposed to be a deload week, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Jay, comments?
Last edited by Mountebank on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Deloads are pretty simple, no need to overthink that one. Its meant as an active rest week.

you can lighten the load by 40-50% and the weights as well across the board, or you can do bodyweight movements to keep yourself moving as well.

I would stay away from any banded work/speed work this week as well.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Jay wrote:Deloads are pretty simple, no need to overthink that one. Its meant as an active rest week.

you can lighten the load by 40-50% and the weights as well across the board, or you can do bodyweight movements to keep yourself moving as well.

I'm also dropping the box squats for now in favor of more DL volume a la the Ladders.

The amounts of actual DL reps I've done in my life is paltry, so I'll devote more volume to them. The benefit of this on Sunday was palpable.

I'm enjoying the current workout set-up, I have no doubt I'll beat my TSC numbers from last time easily...365# DL, 19 pullups, 105 snatches. The plan is to break 400# on the DL (done already in previous PL meet at 420#), get 20+ pull-ups, and break 120 KB snatches. I say that now, despite the fact that I have the joy of a newborn baby boy coming into my life sometime within the next week (due date is March 6th). We shall see how I endure!

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Quacktacular wrote:
Jay wrote:Deloads are pretty simple, no need to overthink that one. Its meant as an active rest week.

I'm also dropping the box squats for now in favor of more DL volume a la the Ladders.

The amounts of actual DL reps I've done in my life is paltry, so I'll devote more volume to them. The benefit of this on Sunday was palpable.

I'm enjoying the current workout set-up, I have no doubt I'll beat my TSC numbers from last time easily...365# DL, 19 pullups, 105 snatches. The plan is to break 400# on the DL (done already in previous PL meet at 420#), get 20+ pull-ups, and break 120 KB snatches. I say that now, despite the fact that I have the joy of a newborn baby boy coming into my life sometime within the next week (due date is March 6th). We shall see how I endure!
You'll do it, I gots faith

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Nice continued focus here Doc.

Trust in ladders and ping me when you stall, I've got ideas.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Charismatic megafauna wrote:Nice continued focus here Doc.

Got it.

I'm hoping that once I'm past the newborn baby thing, I won't stall for a while, as I have quite a bit of novice effect to work through on my DL. Keeping my food consumption up is probably the biggest issue.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:12 am

Quacktacular wrote:

Got it.

I'm hoping that once I'm past the newborn baby thing, I won't stall for a while, as I have quite a bit of novice effect to work through on my DL. Keeping my food consumption up is probably the biggest issue.

If you stretch your rest periods out to at least 90-120 seconds, they aren't nearly as taxing. I think they are as if not more effective this way.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 am

Charismatic megafauna wrote:
Quacktacular wrote:

Got it.

If you stretch your rest periods out to at least 90-120 seconds, they aren't nearly as taxing. I think they are as if not more effective this way.
Oh shit. I was doing my sets on the 3 minutes.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am

Quacktacular wrote:
Charismatic megafauna wrote:
Quacktacular wrote:

Got it.

Oh shit. I was doing my sets on the 3 minutes.
that works great too. stay the course, when i stall longer rest is the first thing i do before i mix up reps or fiddle with weight.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:03 pm

Meh. Took a message board hiatus for a week, haven't felt like entering a journal, also had a baby boy, so I've been behind on several things.
rsz_2img00347.jpg
rsz_2img00347.jpg (101.71 KiB) Viewed 6108 times
Anyway, I'm going to make this short. I did my "5" day of 5/3/1 squatting last week as my only workout, along with 4x10 of double KB swings with the 28kgs and my ratchet ladder pullups.

--

Friday 3/27/11

Did the ten trigger points plus some other ones.

--

Saturday 3/28/11: First workout in about a week and a half. Trying to fit 3 days of training from this week into 2 sessions.

Through the workout, did the 10 TPs, a couple of stretches, and some other nagging areas.

Squats: "3" day, did 250# x 5 the last set, no face strain rule.

BB shrugs: Worked up to 315# x 5 x 3sets.

Pullups & KB snatches. For every set of squats or shrugs, I did one set of pullups and KB snatches. Ratchet pullups: 1/2/3/2/3/4/3/4/5/4(went down to finish)/3/2/1 . Did 5 KB snatches per side with the 20kg (12 sets total), working on the downswing "drop and finger catch" to minimize hand-tearing, this is a completely new technique for me, so I'm devoting time to it.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Saturday 4/9/11: Tactical Strength Challenge.

IIRC, I've trained once a week in the last three weeks leading up to this, with my last snatch workout being 3-4 weeks ago. I wouldn't trust my log too much, may have missed something.

My last TSC results, two years ago:
365# DL
19 pull-ups
105 snatches

My goal this year was simply to beat those numbers. Having a 3-week old around the house really F's up my sleep and training time. I think this is soon to improve.

This year's TCS results:
405# DL (TSC PR, had more in me, took it in stride, not much psyching up, PL meet PR is 420#)
17 pull-ups
107 snatches (PR)

So, two TSC PRs and the feeling that my general DL is going up with what I'm doing. I'm happy with that. 7 guys competing in total. I definitely want to get some GS KBs (I have a 44#, now to get a 35# and 53#) to practice with, also for competing next time.

I felt like hell after the snatching. Reminded me why I don't do @F anymore. Tore only one callus on my right hand, as I learned that GS "pop to finger grab" trick a couple weeks before the event, helped a ton. Other people's hands were hamburger.

Was so sore & uncomfortable that I didn't sleep much that night.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm going to start recording this stuff very shorthand.

5/2/11:
Sumo deadlift NFS (no face strain) ladders: 305 x 1,2,3 1,2

5/7/11: (started on Dan John's "Intervention" protocol)
5/3/1 "5" day
Knurling grip bench: 145 x 7
Pendlay rows: 145 x 7
Standing on medium step, contralateral 25# KB, single leg squat to single SLDL to repeat, 10 L / 7 R
(forgot TGU)
Weighted carry: Single 25# KB, waiter's walk to end of street, rack walk back, repeat other side
...and lots of stretching and foam rolling

5/9/11:
Warmed up with 50 alternating swings with a 44# KB
Conv. rack pulls NFS ladders: 315 x 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 (move up 10#)
Plank 80sec.
Kroc rows NFS 53# KB x 20reps
1 TGU each side with 53# KB...too heavy for good form
High step-ups, no weight, 10 each side (right still way weaker than left)
Single 70# KB farmer's walk, gym+hallway down&back, R then L then R then L

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 am

Damn. Haven't posted here in a while. I keep forgetting my rotations and/or working weights, so I'm back to make sure I can find my stuff when I need it.

All work being done is limited by "no face strain" (NFS) or reps are stopped when a rep slows down significantly (even if maintaining NFS). Most of my starting weights for this NFS work were ~70% of my current actual/meet 1RMs.

I'm also doing Dan John's "intervention" protocol, where in a workout I will do some variation of something to cover the following: push, pull, squat, hinge, TGU, and weighted carry. I highlight the emphasized movement of the day (today it was front squats).

The main goal is a 500# DL by the NASA raw PL nationals in early November. Other goals are to fill out the 200 press / 300 bench / 400 squat numbers...but those were only 20-25# away last November...the DL was 80# away, and in the meantime I had a baby boy.

My current program, alternating weeks A and B:

Week A:
Workout 1 - Sumo DL x Shaf's ladders 3 rounds of 1,2,3
Workout 2 - Close-grip (index at knurling) bench + Pendlay rows, both done 5/3/1 with Jay's autoreg guidelines (add 2.5# per rep over to "3" and "1" weeks)
Workout 3 - Back squat x Shaf's ladders

Week B:
Workout 1 - Conventional stance rack pulls (just above the kneecap) x Shaf's ladders
Workout 2 - Weighted pull-ups + standing press, 5/3/1 as above
Workout 3 - Front squats x Shaf's ladders

Today's workout. My garage.

Push: 1:50 plank hold
Pull: 5 x 10sec. reps of DJ's "bat wings" with 26# KBs lying prone on bench
Squat: Front squat, 235# x 1,2,3,1,2,3 . I just moved up 10# last week to this (old actual psyched-up 2RM was 300#).
Hinge: Windmills, 35# KB x 5 reps/side.
TGU: Ran out of time. Will try to make up tomorrow.
Weighted Carry: Carried 12# DBs by the hex-head (working thumb/pinch, I'm terribly weak in the thumbs) to cul-de-sac and back, setting down once.

Did 2 sets of the vertical lift with 30# DBs x 13 reps.

Ran out of time in the workout because my wife and I actually got a date away from the kids to celebrate the 14-year anniversary of our first date. That was nice.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:28 pm

6/13/11: Tucson Barbell Club session. Mondays are awesome in this way.

TGU: Soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 10# med ball in palm
Push: 2min. plank
Hinge: Sumo DL (I only pull it to the top of kneecap then drop) 315# x 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 , moved up 10# this week and will be moving up 10# again next week!

Mild conditioning
Weighted carry + Pull + Squat: Two rounds of double 53# KBs...Farmer's Walk to 10 bent over rows to farmer's walk back to 10 racked squats

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Wednesday 6/15/11: 5/3/1 "5" week, close grip bench and Pendlay rows, actual max 215# for both.

I've found that by doing the NFS and rotating weeks of different variations of the same movement, I haven't felt the need to take a deload week at all.

Push: Close-grip bench - 125# x 5, 145 x 5, 165 x 8 (add 5# to next weeks AMRAP)
Pull: Pendlay row - 125# x 5, 145 x 5, 165 x 7 (add 5# to next week's AMRAP)

TGU: Soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 10# med ball on hand

Squat: No weight, 1 leg step-up to box of "thigh parallel with ground" height, 5 reps per side, only heel touches ground (I just moved up from the low box where I was using about 26# on the contralateral hand)

Hinge: 2x28kg KBs - 3 rounds x 10 of HS swings

Weighted carry: 2x32kg KBs - walk down & back the gym with both, ditch one for another down & back, then switch
& repeat

This workout took way too long, I was shooting the shit with my buddies too much. I've also found kefir to be an excellent peri-workout beverage.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Monday 6/20/11: Ladders, rack pulls. NFS

Got to the gym late.

TGU: soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU with 15# med ball in hand.

Hinge: Rack pulls from just above kneecap, 345# x 1,2,3,1,2,3
Upper part of my lower back felt a little twingy, so I stopped early.

Squat: Single-leg step-ups to thigh parallel box, 10 left leg, 8 right.
Progress. Still feeling this a lot in the right medial hamstring - slash - adductors.

Push: Plank x 2min.

Weighted carry + Pull: Ran out of time. I'm hoping I can get them in this afternoon. Also forgot my lunch, which sucks.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 am

Finishing up workout from yesterday (6/21/11 Tuesday now):

I needed to do weighted carries and a pull. For whatever reason, I thought I'd add some one-arm pressing in too. So...

5 doorway pull-ups on the Power Pull-up handles in my office. I hate scraping along the door.

2 trips around my office building with one 20kg KB of:
1/2 trip around, R hand, involved 5 standing rows to overhead walk to rack walk to farmer's walk to 5 standing presses, switch to other hand for next 1/2 trip around, then repeated.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Friday 6/25/11: 5/3/1 "5" day pull-ups and standing press.

TGU: Soft rolls, hard rolls, TGU balancing 15# medicine ball

Supersetted
Chest-to-bar deadhang pull-ups: BW x 4,5,6 (I'm not above BW on the "5" day yet, going chest-to-bar knocked me back a bit, warm-up sets were 1,2,3)
Standing press: 105 x 5, 115 x 5, 130 x 5

Supersetted
Hinge: 2 x 10 reps of HS double KB swings with 32kg
Squat: Single leg step-ups (only heel touches ground) to box where working thigh is parallel to ground, 1 x 10, 1 x 5
Weighted Carry: Single KB farmer's walk with 48kg, down with right hand, back with left, 2 total sets

I was surprised this workout went as well as it did, my sleep quality was crap the night before.