Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Vern's House

Post by vern » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:22 am

I've resisted posting my workouts here because they weren't anything exceptional or interesting. Just a lot of kookballs with XC skiing thrown in in the winter.

But this running thing has taken hold with a vengance and I want to start tracking my progress. To be honest one day of running has been blurring into another lately and I find it hard to remember how much distance I've covered.

I'm 44 and my weight today was 234 at 6'6" (107kg at 2 meters). The running has leaned me out to my high school weight so that's a plus. But I picked up the 24's the other day and they felt like 32's, so that's a minus.

I haven't had any pain or injuries and I'm happy about that. I started slow and have been building up the distance with a marathon planned in the future. I'm just going to focus the running right now and see where it takes me. It's feeling good.

Anyway, grab a cup of coffee from the kettle and pull up a chair. Welcome.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 am

I started running a few months back but this was my killer week in October.

14 Oct - 11 miles, easy and fairly flat.

15 Oct - 15 miles, ~1200 feet down and back up again in just over 3 hours. We ate pasta the night before and I felt great on this run. Could have gone for another 11 and called it a marathon if I had had two more hours and a couple of extra gu packs.

16 Oct - 5 miles. It's a weird thing for me to call 5 miles a rest day, but there it is.

17 Oct - 15 miles, same as above except for the wanting to run that extra 11 miles.

18 Oct - 5 miles.

19 Oct - Rest

20 Oct - I thought I was done for the week, but I managed to sneak in 6 miles on a XC ski trail for a total of 57 this week.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:10 am

The rest of October is pretty jumbled in my head. I did a lot more running, but not as much as the good week.

2 Nov - 8 miles on a ski trail.

3 Nov - 7 miles. 45 elevated pushups at the end.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Great job on the running, vern! What kind of kb lifting do you do? Timed sets of the classic lifts, more RKC style liftings...

vern

Post by vern » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks Mickey. I'm a big fan of Pavel's stuff so it's mostly hardstyle lifting. But I use the competition bells for almost everything except the two handed swings. That's one of my favorite exercises and I have a DD 48 for them.

I have done Girevoy sport training a bit in the past (for about a month) and see the value in that style as well. Can't we all just get along?

4 Nov - I felt guilty for sleeping in and not running today so I dusted off the kbs for a quick workout.

5X5 dbl clean and presses with the 24s
5X10 snatches with the 24
5X3 pullups

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Absolutely, vern. I do mostly timed sets but I like the RKC style as well and do that on occasion also. I'm a big fan of Pavel too.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:45 am

5 Nov - My favorite 10 mile run today. Down a logging road ~900 feet, and then right back up again. Two hours on the nose.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

The fuck?! I go away for a couple of weeks and y'all bring back the kookball forum? Chesser told me it was back up, but I didn't believe him.

I've been tracking my running in Taipei and I'll post it when I get home. I always enjoy my little jaunts to Asia.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Almost all of these runs were done in Daan Park. This is Taipei's version of Central Park and it has a nice 2075 meter running trail. I normally run up and down hills at a couple thousand feet altitude and this is flat sea-level running. It should feel easier but it really didn't. I guess thats because running over here is a bit like smoking a pack of Camels each time out.

9 Nov - 5.2 miles in 53 minutes
10 Nov - 5.2 miles in 57 min
11 Nov - ~5 miles along one of the riverside parks. It was windy and there were almost no trees here. Sucked.
12 Nov - 6.25 miles ~70 min
13 Nov - 5 miles in the rain. 54 min
15 Nov - 5.2 miles
16 Nov - 10.4 miles in 2 hours. I thought this was a pretty good run but there was some dude running the other way around the trail when I got there. He was flying and was still running when I left. He must have covered over 20 miles easily.
19 Nov - 3.9 miles in the pouring rain. ~50 min
22 Nov - 2.6 miles in a half hour.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:33 am

Ok, enough of the jet lag/turkey day lethargy.

15X10 man-maker kb swings with the 40. This was followed by some screwing around with a trx knock-off I picked up in Taiwan.

And now it begins again. (I love that Twin Peaks mix.) He flips the camera about 4 minutes in so you can get a sense of what it feels like to XC ski. Check it out full screen.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 am

1:45 XC skiing. The course wasn't groomed, but the weekend crowd left some decent tracks so it was much better than it should have been. After silently cursing the state for being stingy with the groomer, I passed him on the way back. He left some really nice corduroy so I switched from classic to skate style and had a great last couple of miles. A good 'shaking out the cobwebs' day.

Usually I have no idea how far I'm skiing, so I just track the time.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:45 am

1:25 XC skiing. No grooming again, but a snowmobiler cut a groove through the new snow making it skiable. I was never so happy to see one of those chubby bastards in my life.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:57 am

2 Dec, some light maintenance work.

5X5 slow suspension push-ups
5X5 suspension rows

3X10 snatches with the 24

vern

Post by vern » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 am

3 Dec 1:35 XC ski. Went to a spot that is groomed by a local ski club. It was pretty slow going, but better than nothing.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 am

12.5 mile ski in 2:09. We finally had some nice grooming and it was beautiful outside. I skied the John Wayne Pioneer Trail next to Keechelus Lake for 6.2 miles from Hyak to the dam and back. It's an old train track that you can ski along in the winter. There's some really nice scenery by the lake and it's far enough away from the highway so that the pollution and noise isn't an issue.

There may even have been an Italian BMT and a bottle of IPA chilling in the truck under the front seat upon my return. I can't confirm or deny. Life is good.

On a side note, if I can get all Zen for a second, XC skiing is about the flat and straight. When you're going downhill, you're just downhill skiing. And when you're going uphill, you're just running. I'm really into the flat skiing and this is the place to do it.

(The lake wasn't frozen over today.)

vern

Post by vern » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 am

5 Dec, ~10 miles in 1:39 at Hyak.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:51 am

7 Dec - I used a day of rest and some fast snow to set a PR of 12.4 miles in 1:51 at Hyak. I knew as soon as my skis hit the tracks that this was the day to try and break two hours to the dam and back. It was my fastest ski of the year so far. Dipshit that I am, I forgot to wax my skis this morning but they were still pretty damn quick.

I'm very happy with my conditioning right now. Thanks to all of that running this fall, I was able to ski the entire distance without any rest or slowdown at all. It was just one continuous diagonal stride. (With a quick piss break.) I hit the sauna afterwards.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:06 am

9 Dec - XC ski for 1:37 at Lake Easton. It was snowing hard and was pretty slow going. But the groomer was out and anytime you can sneak in a ski on a work day it's a good day.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:28 am

10 Dec - 1:27 ski at Easton. Above freezing, raining, slushy, fucking sucked. I probably covered less than half the distance of yesterday but a shitty ski is still a great workout.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 am

1:47 at Lake Easton. The first mile from the parking lot was awful due to the sun softening the snow. It was the same for the last mile to Frozen Toe Point. But all of the skiing in between, in the (shaded) forest, was perfect. Another good day.

Later,

7X5 suspension push-ups (slow)
7X5 rows

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:10 am

Hyak was closed and Cabin Creek wasn't groomed so it was back to Lake Easton again. Perfect skiing but I was running late and could only stay for 1:14.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:18 am

3 trips to Frozen Toe Point and back, 2:04.

I held my nose and went into REI yesterday to buy some new ski boots. I hate giving those fuckers any money but I really don't like to order shoes or boots online. They had some nice Madshus boots that weight about half of what my current (6 year old) dinosaurs do.

About 15 years ago when I went in there for the first time the hipster at the checkout counter asked me...

Hipster checkout dude: "Would you like to become an REI member?"

vern: "Isn't this just some giant leftist cult?"

Hipster checkout dude: "Yeah, pretty much."

Impressed by his candor, I signed up.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 am

2:02 to the dam and back at Hyak. I managed to reel in a couple of skaters who had about a mile lead on the way back. Good times.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:05 am

Holy shit, did somebody get the number of that train that hit me?

I'm down with the flu for the first time in 9 years. I felt a little achy Saturday, but I thought it was just due to the hard skiing the day before. Then I felt it coming on and did my usual tricks to try and stave it off. (Golden Seal/Echinacea and a trip to the sauna.)

Nothing worked and I got hammered big time. I don't get sick too often and that makes it even worse somehow.

Anyway, I see light at the end of the tunnel and might try and sneak in a quick ski tomorrow. (Maybe not.)

P.S. Korean Citron Tea is good stuff.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 am

My tenth day of sickness. I don't think I've ever been this ill for so long. The worst seems to be over, but I'm only feeling about 70 percent right now.

Fuck, I need to get back on target.