Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 am

Tuesday, a logging road ride, a half hour uphill, a half hour straight uphill, and about 40 minutes back. I went the furthest I've ever been up this hill before the turn around. Got a good sweat going on this one.

Wednesday, Lake Easton bike ride to Hyak and back. It started pouring at the half way point which led to a pretty miserable return trip. (I've got to remember to keep dry socks in the truck!)

Thursday, goto 10 mile ride.

Friday, goto 11 mile ride, 100 pushups.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:32 am

Saturday, goto 10 mile ride.

Well I couldn't get that Nezhmetdinov game out of my head so I was trolling around youtube looking for an analysis of it when I stumbled upon this great documentary. I'm just in awe of this man's games.

Finding nuggets of gold like this is what the net is all about! If you play chess at all watch it...

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 am

Monday, over to Lake Easton again for another rainy ride. Turned around before the tunnel.

Tuesday, biked ~13 miles on a logging road.

Wednesday, ~2:30 in the kayak. It was a beautiful evening with no wind and a nice sunset. I could kayak all day in calm weather, but that wind just sucks the life out of you.

Well hell, I walked in to my favorite breakfast joint today and saw that they had just installed a big TV set behind the counter.

Vern don't play that shit so I asked if they would turn off the volume for me. Since it was a new TV nobody could find the remote right away. So I walked behind the counter and reached up to switch it off manually. I hit the power button a few times and nothing happened.

"Great," I thought, "it's just like 1984. You can never turn off the telescreen."

Finally the remote was found and as an act of mercy they muted the sound for my Luddite ass. I told them that the reason I started coming to this place was that my old breakfast joint put in a bunch of TV sets blasting commercials all day.

I fucking hate TV and fucking I hate the commercials even more! I haven't had cable in 18 years and I only use mine to watch movies.

I rate bars by how many TV sets they have. The fewer TV's the better the bar. My favorite places don't have any.

Harlan Ellison has talked about how if you go into a restaurant and are the only customers in the entire place and ask them to turn off the television, they look at you like you're crazy. I can personally vouch for this.

What the fuck is wrong with people?

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 am

Thursday, ~40 minutes on the bike at a windy flat park.

Sunday, goto 10 mile ride.

Monday, goto 10 mile ride.

I scored me some ripe Concord grapes and took a page from Dan's book and juiced about 24 ounces worth. Delicious.

(And when he says that it'll clean you out...he ain't just a whistlin' Dixie!)

vern

Post by vern » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 am

Wednesday, rode the bike for ~1:20 at a flat park. Oddly enough for the Pacific Northwest in mid-October, it was sunny out. So I took off my shirt and ran sprints up and down a grassy knoll for about 20 minutes at the end. I was feeling really good.

Thursday, Rattlesnake Lake bike ride to the turn around and back in ~2 hours. (I stopped in town for my usual beer on the way back.) The weather was sunny and cool and the fall colors were out in force. Afterwards we had some damn good food at an Afghan restaurant. Days like this can just keep coming as far as I'm concerned!

Friday, goto 13 mile ride. That 800 foot climb doesn't really tire me out anymore so I've been adding distance at the end.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 am

Saturday, goto 10 mile ride.

Tuesday, Lake Easton all the way to Hyak and back. The sign in the parking lot said that's 36 miles total. The wife's chain kept coming off, but I finally got it figured out. I'm good at tinkering with shit, but this whole bike thing is new to me.

Wednesday, Lake Easton to the dam and back. The trail is almost all shaded this time of year, so we biked across the dam to get a bit of sun.

Thursday, I gave my legs a rest and spent 3.5 hours pulling plugs in the kayak. I caught a couple of nice smallmouth bass.

The weather has been sunny and clear all week. It was so warm out today I even thought about going for a quick swim after fishing. Crazy for late October in this neck of the woods.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33 am

Tuesday, raked leaves for ~45 minutes. Summer is definitely over now!

Wednesday, goto 11 mile ride.

Thursday, goto 11 mile ride.

Friday, goto 11 mile ride.

Next week is the start of the World Chess Championship Match between Anand and the challenger Magnus Carlsen. He's rated higher than Anand but Vishy is no pushover.

Magnus doesn't study opening theory as much as the other GMs. He just tries to get through the opening without any major weaknesses. He knows that no one in the world can play middle and endgames better than him. So Anand will have to try and trip him up early in the games. You can follow the games for free as they are completed at the link above.

To quote Travis Bagent's dad Jerry, "It's time for another Prince on the mountain."

Lol when Kasparov says "Typical Shirov"!

vern

Post by vern » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:26 am

Tuesday, drove over to Lake Easton to bike. I thought it might be dry over the hump but I was wrong. It was rainy and cold with about an inch of snow on the ground. Stayed for just over an hour. (Hopefully we'll be skiing by the end of the month.)

Wednesday, ~1:22 biking at a flat park.

Friday, 2:03 ride along a paved river path. The wind wasn't too bad and it was almost sunny out. There are a few steep hills on this path but I just powered right up them. I'm feeling strong on the bike...just in time for the season to be over!

1/2 bunch Rainbow Chard
1/2 bunch Italian parsley
1 lemon
1 Fuji apple
1/2 a fennel bulb
1/2 a jalapeno
(One of the better juices I've made lately.)

I also broke down and bought a Blendtec for the house. I've been meaning to get a decent blender for years but kept putting it off. I recently had the chance to make some smoothies with one and was really impressed. It sure beats the hell out of the 30 buck one we were using!

vern

Post by vern » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:39 am

Saturday, I did my goto ride and kept going until the pavement ended at the top. That's about 15 miles round trip with ~1100 foot climb.

Sunday, goto 10 mile ride.

Wednesday, Rattlesnake Lake ride to the bridge and back. I was feeling pretty proud of myself coming back up the hill until I passed two tough broads who put me to shame.

The first was a mom biking (fast) up the hill towing her kid in a trailer.

The second was a gal roller skiing. That hill is a bit of a slog and it isn't paved so I told her I was impressed. (She made it all the way up to the lake too.)

Thursday, goto 12 mile ride.

After a couple of bullshit draws Anand and Carlsen are starting to play some real chess. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but GM Daniel King is my favorite chess analyst. He has a gift for explaining what is going on at the top levels for us mere mortals.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:59 am

Saturday, 100 darc swings with the 24. 100 pushups.

Looks like Magnus had himself a good weekend with two wins in a row! He's up 4-2 at the half way point.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:01 am

Damn, it's a blow out...

vern

Post by vern » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 am

Congratulations to Magnus Carlsen on becoming the 16th World Chess Champion after a decisive 6.5-3.5 victory over Viswanathan Anand!

vern

Post by vern » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 am

Saturday, 10x20 darc swings with the 32.

We've got about two feet of snow up in the mountains right now. Can you feel it?

The conditioning level on these guys to be able to ski at that rate for >3:20 is incredible. When they interview the winner he doesn't even sound winded!

vern

Post by vern » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 am

Saturday, goto 12 mile ride.

Today, ran ~5 miles in the wind. I haven't run in a while and was pretty slow out of the gate. But I warmed up after about three miles and even threw in some sprints on the way back.

On the generation of sociopaths we are raising...I overheard two young hostesses talking at my favorite breakfast joint the other day.

"Did you hear that the guy from The Fast and the Furious died?"

"Yeah, at first I thought it was Vin Diesel, but when they said it was the other guy I was like, 'Oh cool.'"

vern

Post by vern » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:18 am

I haven't been doing much lately, but I've been eating pretty clean and maintaining my weight.

Last week my (homemade) medicine ball exploded while I was throwing it around a park. I ran some sprints afterwards.

Then I ran some more sprints a few days later.

Today we went for a mountain hike below the snow line for about an hour. It was a nice day for December and I got some decent sun going up and down the hill.

It was a good time, but it's just not the same without our dog.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:39 am

17 December, went back and hiked to the top of that hill from the day before. It was a pretty steep 2100 foot climb and took three hours round trip.

I ate some fruitcake from my mom at the top in lieu of a powerbar.

Finished the day with some hot beef pho. It was a good hike and my legs are still feeling it today.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Like.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:27 am

Mickey, if only that pho joint would get a liquor license my life would be complete!

There still isn't enough snow up top for XC skiing yet and it's killing me. Even White Pass is still closed for it. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, last week I climbed to the top of that hill again and did a bunch of pushups. This time I was ready for the vicious 'false summits' and shaved about 20 minutes off of the total hike.

Today, ran ~7 miles at Flat Park in 1:14. I haven't been running much lately but it felt fine.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 am

Damn, time is just flying. I've been working a lot lately and haven't had a chance to update. Lots of pushups, hiking, and pull ups.

Here's a cool set of vid's featuring Eric Hoffer.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:19 am

Well shit, I retired last Friday.

I've been busy getting ready for the end so I haven't updated much. Still no XC skiing, but I've been hiking whenever possible.

We are going to do a bit of travelling so I may not be posting much for a while.

It's been a blast hanging out here, and I've learned a shit pot full of knowledge about fitness.

Keep moving, eat clean, use your brain, get outdoors often, and best of luck to all y'all!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:13 am

Congratulations, vern! Have fun!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:13 pm

You ever coming back, vern?!

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:05 pm

Congratulations, maybe Dr. Donkeylove can hook you up with a "Proprium obsolescence!" t-shirt. If you find a pho shop that serves beer in your travels, let us know.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:46 am

Hey, shit Mickey, I'm still lurking around here now and then!

It's been a very relaxing six months! I still try to get outside and move a bit every day. I mostly ride my bike, but still run sprints, hike, and do pushups. This summer I've also been doing a lot of swimming in the rivers and lakes around here. I've even been thinking about picking up the kookballs again too.

Since pulling the plug at work, I've been doing more home cooking. So we've been eating well and saving money at the same time. (The added ten pounds I've put on will attest to that!)

We took the train back east to visit family and it was a great trip. I haven't been on Amtrak in 30 years because it wasn't feasible to waste a week of vacation time just travelling. But since time isn't a factor any more, fuck it. I tipped the cabin attendants when we got on so they took very good care of us. And if you get a sleeper cabin, all of your meals are included.

Seeing all of the oil work going on in North Dakota was damned impressive. I saw miles and miles of brand new oil hauling train cars lined up with wells pumping away on both sides of the train. Someone said they were looking to QUINTUPLE production in the next few years. Cha-ching!

We also had a five hour layover in Chicago and I blame Lou Mitchell's for a few of those ten pounds I've gained! Don't miss that place if you are in town. (Two words...homemade marmalade!)

Not much else to report. The fall salmon and steelhead run is starting so I'll bust out the kayak and try my luck in the next few weeks.

Glad to hear from y'all!

(Beefheart, I heard that you can get a mug of beer in Vietnam for 30 cents. I should be able to cover my airfare in saved beer money. Stay tuned!)

PS. I googled Amtrak after the trip and they lose about a billion dollars a year. No wonder we had such a nice experience!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 am

Well, vern, it sounds like you have been having a good time and enjoying your retirement! Thanks for checking in!