Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 am

Drove to a park and ran ~5 miles in an hour with some sprints thrown in along the way. Then cut the grass at home for an hour.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 am

Today the wife and I drove to Rattlesnake Lake for some hiking. She stayed on the flat, but I wanted to hike to the top of the hill overlooking the lake. The sign said it was a 1.9 mile hike with an 1100 foot gain. "No problem." I thought and took off at a fast walk.

About a third of the way up I passed a group of four kids half my age which felt pretty damn good. I even had to give them a few XC ski "Hut-hut"s to get them out of the way. They couldn't believe that big old dude down the hill caught up to them so quick.

Its a very steep hike but I just kept right along without any stops until I came to this fork in the trail. I glanced at the sign but because I could tell the high ground was still to my left, I just turned left.

The trail kept going straight up but suddenly I realized I was all alone out there. I kept thinking..."This is the longest two miles ever." But I continued on reasoning that the steep hill was throwing my navigation off.

Finally I came to a sign that pointed behind me stating "Rattlesnake Lake 3.5 miles". Shit! I went almost double the distance straight uphill past the ledge. I never stopped and was really soaked with sweat at this point. I turned back and found an overlook overlooking the overlook if that makes any sense.

Anyhoo, I'm very pleased with my conditioning right now. It was sunny out, the air was cool and I had a great 7 mile hike with about a 2000 foot gain instead of a 3.8 mile hike. Total time was 2:40.

I saw a few folks jogging it, but I couldn't right now without downing a bunch of carbs.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:04 am

Great work, Vern!

vern

Post by vern » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks Mickey!

Thursday hiked 4.5 miles on a logging road. I usually run this stretch but my legs were still tore up from Tuesday.

Today some swings and snatches and 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 presses with the 24 each side. 50 pushups.

Old school devo represent yo!

vern

Post by vern » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 am

It was sunny and warm today and I started off with a cup of black coffee for breakfast. At a riverside park, threw my (20 lb) medicine ball as far as I could, walked up to it and threw it again with the other arm. Did this for 40 minutes nonstop and got a good sweat going.

Then I jumped in the river (which was a perfect temp, cool but not icy) and swam back and forth in the current for 30 minutes.

Then horiatiki salata and lamb kabobs with extra tzatziki sauce at a good Greek joint.

Magic.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Wednesday did a 2 mile hike in the forest. (The king went for quite a hike as well in this century old game by Edward Lasker. Fucking brilliant!)

Saturday I did ~10 minutes of all out sprinting.

Today it was the old YRG 20 minute routine. Santa Cruz!

Dantheman's fridge. (13:40 lol!)...

vern

Post by vern » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 am

Ran ~6 miles at Lake Easton. Afterwards had a beer and a quick swim. (The water is back to its usually chilly self.)

I took some inspiration from Dantheman and threw in a few dead lifts and presses with lumber along the way. They did some logging out at Frozen Toe Point earlier this year so there was plenty of wood on the ground.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 am

Yesterday ran ~5 miles on the flat in 58 minutes.

Today did a 4.5 mile logging road hike with some more lumber lifting. Feeling good.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:17 am

Friday, 100 see-saw presses with the 24s. 50 pushups.

Today, ran ~6 miles in 1:16 and cooled off in a river at the end. It was warm and sunny but the leaves are starting to change.

It's my favorite time of the year, but the colors on this coast are nothing like back east.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Tuesday, 4.5 mile logging road run, 50 pushups.

Wednesday, ~6 mile run on the flat.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 am

~6 mile run in 1:08, 50 elevated pushups, 50 regular pushups.

My times are getting longer but the weight is coming off pretty easily. I have been leaning out a bit lately and weighed 234 this morning. (I usually hang around 240-245.)

I haven't been craving any junk and have been pretty strict with the Primal Blueprint/Leangains approach. No bread and my only cheat has been some rice here and there.

For dessert all I need is some good fruit and maybe a little heavy cream. Right now that tastes as good to me as pie ala mode. So far this program has been very easy to stick with.

Just chillin'.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Tuesday, ran ~6.5 miles at Lake Easton.

Thursday, ran ~6 miles on the flat. Later I hit the sauna followed by some good landjäger and beer.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 am

Sunday I did ~10 minutes of all out sprints.

Today I hiked up to the ledge overlooking Rattlesnake Lake again. That's 3.8 miles with an 1100 foot gain in the pouring rain. The view at the top was great with clouds above and below. 42 minutes up, 34 down.

I was soaked head to toe at the end of this hardcore hike but felt great.

(Shit starts getting real ~3:40)

vern

Post by vern » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:35 am

Wednesday, ran ~7 miles in a park. The cool air and fall colors made it feel perfect.

The other day somebody asked me for some running and chess resources. I'm no expert on either one, but for running I really got a lot out of this free book by Gordon Pirie. It was posted on IGx a few years back and is full of good usable info.

Of course Born to Run was a great read even if you don't run.

I also enjoyed Galloway's Book on Running and Marathon: You Can Do It! (Looks like you can pick up the former for a penny plus shipping.)

Start slow and don't get injured!

Stay tuned for some chess stuff...

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 am

Sunday I did a 1.5 mile hike with a steep hill and a 20lb weighted vest.

Ok, chess. First off I just want to say for the record that I fucking suck at chess. But I'm fascinated by the game and really enjoy playing and studying it.

If you are going to study chess at all you'll have to learn the algebraic notation system. All newer books and videos use this set up. I know it's a pain at first but eventually you'll know it without thinking. That old "Queen to King's Bishop four" shit that your dad used is out the window. Start studying!

For beginners I recommend The Pocket Book of Chess by British Grandmaster Raymond Keene. It's only a penny on amazon and it's full of good illustrations and photos to help you (or your kid) get started.

Bruce Pandolfini is considered to be one of the best chess teachers out there. I've had a few of his books over the years and found them to be very helpful.

For stronger players I really enjoyed The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. The former world champion was an attacking expert and I'm all about that.

We had to wait for poor Bobby Fischer to die in order to get his My 60 Memorable Games republished (in algebraic notation). I've gone through about a third of it and it's worth your time as well.

The web has a shitpot full of sites that you can play and study games on. I do the puzzle every day at Chessgames.com. I enjoy studying the games of the late 19th century. Those guys played some insane chess. I had a book of old games once and I kept thinking..."That has to be a typo. There's no way that can be the next move!" It was all about going for the throat in the old days. Today, because the defensive level is so much higher, it's all about positional nuance and small advantages.

While you're there, check out The Immortal Game by Adolf Anderssen from 1851. This is considered by many to be the best game of chess ever played. Watch how Anderssen sacrifices his bishop, two rooks, and finally his queen to get checkmate. Incredible. (Blade Runner fans will recognize this ending as the game played between Tyrell and Sebastian. "Immortal" game, get it?)

There are a ton of videos on youtube to help you with your game too. Let's say that you enjoy playing the English Opening. You can check out this video and it's like getting a free chess lesson. (And you don't even have to pay a gay guy to come over to your house!)

Or you can literally type "c4 e5 nc3" into google and a bunch of English Opening sites will pop up. I'm all about free learning.

Don't try and learn too many openings at once. Just do like Nick de Firmian says and pick a few you like and learn the hell out of them.

I've also made some good advances by listening to GM's comment live on speed games. It's very instructive to hear what they think is important about a position.

Chess is a slippery slope but it'll keep your brain cells firing. Best of luck.

keyboardpress
Staff Sergeant

Post by keyboardpress » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 am

great stuff vern, i really appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 am

Anything for the cause ash!

Today I went for a ~6 mile run at a riverside park in 1:08. It was chilly outside with some new snow on the mountain tops, but I felt pretty sluggish.

When I got back to the truck I was all alone in the parking lot. I went over to the river and did my usual post run head dunk and rinse off routine. As I was walking back to the truck shirtless and toweling off, this older lady pulled in with her chocolate lab.

"Were you just swimming in that river?" she asked.

"No, I was just taking a bird bath."

"Eeeeeeeeeeek, that water must be freezing!"

"Yeah it's cold, but it feels great after a 6 mile run."

She pauses, looks at me totally deadpan and says..."You're what the men in this country used to be like."

LOL! Fuck you Alan Alda!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 am

Good for you, Vern!

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 pm

LOL
Manly

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:38 pm

Awesome vern !

Your log has inspired me to take another look at my old chess collection, forcing my brain to work.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:36 am

Snuck off to the Oregon Coast with the wife for five days.

In addition to some great food, we walked on the beach every day and did a few soggy hikes on Cummins Creek Trail. Good times.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Ran ~7 minutes of all out sprints this morning followed by 100 pushups.

I stumbled on this Candian chess documentary from 1982 the other day. It has tons of rare footage. (I like the French guy with the derby.)

I'm going to be down south for a bit, y'all behave.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 pm

7 Nov, ran 3.7 miles with my brother on Hanging Rock Battle trail near Salem Virginia.

9 Nov, climbed up to Cedar Bluff overlook near Richlands Virginia and did 100 elevated pushups at the top followed by sprints in the parking lot afterward.

11 Nov, humped a truck rotor up a ~600 foot climb so my friend and I could shoot at it with his Barrett. The hike wasn't too difficult, but the rotor really got my forearms burning. (It was windy and we were shooting about 800 meters. I grazed it, he nailed it.)

13 Nov, hiked on the trails at Mill Mt. and Roanoke Mt. with a friend.

During the trip I did a lot of walking downtown and kept the diet pretty much in check. At the Texas Tavern I even ordered "two double Cheesy Westerns hold the buns." They flipped me a little shit, as is to be expected there, but it tasted fine. (Atkins special they called it.)

I ended up only gaining about 3 pounds. (Mostly from beer.)

"On June 21, 1864, following two days of fighting at Lynchburg, Confederate Gen. Robert Ransom’s cavalry, pursuing Union Gen. David Hunter’s retreating column, engaged in a conflict that would ultimately become known as the Battle of Hanging Rock.

Hunter, fearing an assault by the forces of Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early after the Union defeat at Lynchburg, withdrew toward New Castle. His troops followed the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike.

Early sent his army in pursuit. He ordered Ransom to lead his cavalry over the Peaks of Otter to Buchanan, then to Salem on the Great Road (modern Route 11).

Hunter’s retreating forces included a wagon train of ambulances and supply wagons as well as artillery and munitions. The narrow gap between step bluffs at Hanging Rock delayed the column, creating a prime opportunity for Confederate attack. On the morning of June 21, Confederate Gen. John McCausland’s cavalry spotted the stalled Union artillery.

Early’s infantry had not caught up with Hunter’s army, so Ransom sent McCausland with only a portion of his cavalry to strike the Union column. Union guns and wagons sustained heavy damage; wheels were torn away, cannon trunnions broken, and limbers pushed into Mason Creek.

McCausland’s troops burned ammunition wagons, killed and captured horses,confiscated guns, and took prisoners. Finally, Union cavalry and infantry reinforcements arrived. McCausland was forced to abandon the gap, allowing Hunter to continue his retreat."

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 am

Welcome back, Vern! Glad you had a good time!

vern

Post by vern » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks Mickey, we'll try to meet up next time!

Yesterday I ran a slow 6 miles on the flat to blow out the dust.

Since it's that time of year I can say that these coconut pumpkin smoothies are effing delicious! Enjoy.