Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Last Monday, 26 Nov, ran ~6 miles on a pretty flat trail.

Yesterday, did the old YRG 20 minute routine.

I've been eating clean and feeling pretty damn good.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 am

Yesterday ran ~6 miles and did 100 pushups.

Today, 8.2 mile logging road run. We timed it perfectly between rainstorms. Lots of cool clean fresh air for the taking.

The bow hunters were out in force but I'm not worried about getting shot by one of them. When it's rifle season though, I'm scared to even leave the house!
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

It looked like heavy snow up high so I just did another 6 mile run yesterday.

Rest in peace Dave Brubeck!

vern

Post by vern » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am

Drove up for the first ski of the year. Hyak was a mess, so it was on to Cabin Creek for 1:48 of skiing. There wasn't enough snow for grooming tracks yet, but it was packed and fast. (I should have brought my skate skis.)

I stayed mostly on the flat today and felt fine.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Tueseday, ran 12 minutes of sprints to help the sore muscles from the first ski.

Yesterday, skied at Cabin Creek on the hills for 1:22. It wasn't groomed but it still beat sitting on the couch.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:13 am

Sunday, old YRG 20 minute routine.

Monday, 30 minutes of shovelling heavy snow. We had a big storm and there was ~2 feet of snow in the mountians but they never groom on Monday so I stayed put.

My neighbor usually plows my driveway with his tractor and I give him a bottle of whisky for his troubles every year. But he didn't plow yesterday so either his tractor had a problem or he's back on the wagon.

Today we drove up but nothing was groomed. I did 100 pushups just to keep my hand in.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 am

Thursday, couldn't make it up high so I just did 100 snatches with the 24. I haven't been kookballing much lately and I felt it in my forearms.

Today we finally got some good grooming at Cabin Creek and hit the tracks for 2:04. The conditions were fast and the weather was fine. (Just starting to snow.)

Lots of other skiers were out there today. I passed a skater early, but then got passed by a classic skier. My conditioning is pretty good and I hung with him for about a half mile before letting him go. His form and wax were dead on.

Easy come, easy go.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 am

Last Wed, (Boxing Day) hit Cabin Creek for 1:56. I got in a race for a while with a guy about my age and fitness level. The lead changed three times, but he eventually gassed out.

Then just when I was feeling good about myself, the same dude who went by me last Sunday passed me again. Took the wind right out of my sails. (The Übermensch is always waiting out there!)

Today we dodged the crowds and skied at Lake Easton for 2:06. It was cold and the tracks were really fast. I was strong today and it was the best ski so far this year.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm

We did a New Year's Eve ski at Lake Easton for 2:04. Another good day.

We picked up some farm fresh eggs and I fried a few for breakfast. They tasted great and then I spent Tuesday afternoon projectile vomiting. Fun times.

Thursday we finally got to ski at Hyak. I went to the dam and back (12.4 miles) in 2:09. That's not bad considering my wax was off a bit and there was a strong headwind on the way out. (Whitecaps on the lake etc...)

vern

Post by vern » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 am

That gallstone shit sidelined me for about a week, and then I had a head cold to deal with. (If that's all I ever catch in a hospital I'll be stellar.) The weights been down too. I was at 227 lbs this morning which is light for me.

Today we drove up to Lake Easton and I skied for 1:34. It was really cold (upper teens) but it wasn't too crowded and the tracks were crazy fast. I felt strong after two weeks of rest and went hard.

It's good to be back in the game.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Good to see you back at it Vern! Nice documentary as well.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:07 am

Welcome back, vern!

vern

Post by vern » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks guys!

Tuesday, hit Cabin Creek for 1:31. Another very cold and fast ski day.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 am

Tuesday it was snowing up high and a non grooming day, so I ran ~4.5 miles in :41 just to keep my hand in.

Today I skied to the bridge at Roaring Creek and back in 1:43.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:25 am

Yesterday, 10x10 manmakers with the 48.

Today skied for 2:05 at Cabin Creek including a run up Mt Ozbaldy. Felt good and didn't gas out at all.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:49 am

Tuesday - 5 Feb, Back to Cabin Creek but only lasted 47 minutes. I just wasn't feeling the love.

Yesterday, skied everything at Cabin Creek in 1:33. Despite the warmer weather the tracks were pretty fast due to a slight drizzle. A good day.

Today, From Hyak to the bridge at Roaring Creek and back in 1:44. It was cloudy but the rain held off.

Just dancing right along over here.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Tuesday, 19 Feb - 1:25 at Cabin Creek. Three skaters chased me down the Road but I held them off without too much trouble.

I also made a damn good juice by accident. I love blueberries but don't normally juice them because they cost so much. The other day I had a half pint that I didn't want to put back in the fridge so I threw it in...

1/2 bunch Italian kale
1/2 bunch Italian parsley
4 stalks celery
3 carrots
1/2 lemon
1 Fuji apple
1/2 pint blueberries

Thursday 21 Feb - We hiked for ~2 hours on the Wildwood Trail just west of downtown Portland. I really felt it too because it's very hilly and hiking muscles are different from skiing ones.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Vern's Guide to Dining in Portland

We hit the Rheinlander first because they have this killer fondue. I also had the pork soaked in apple cider with some of their excellent red cabbage. Warm apple strudel and hot coffee finished us off.

Then I hit the bar at Mingo while the wife went shopping. It's an Italian joint but I was too stuffed to eat anything.

Later that night we completed our Axis Power dining day by stumbling upon Wild Wasabi for some really good sushi. They mix the sushi rice with wild rice and the results were very tasty.

We balanced out the Axis Power crap the next day by hitting Jewish deli Kenny and Zuke's for some of their top notch pastrami. They age, cure, season, steam, and cut it all themselves and it's worth a stop. The borscht was incredible as well.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 am

Went up to Hyak last Wednesday but it was warm and slow. I only skied half way to the dam and back (~6 miles total) in 1:18.

Today I did the old YRG 20 minute workout.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 am

Yesterday, 10x10 manmakers with the 48.

Today Hyak was icy and fast and I skied to the dam and back (12.4 miles) in 1:55. My time would have been better but there was a very strong headwind on the way out. I'm talking whitecaps on the unfrozen part of the lake.

In fact I could have made it back with out moving if I had a membrane to catch the wind like the Tran in those Icerigger books by Alan Dean Foster. Just sayin'.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 am

Friday, skied at Cabin Creek for 1:41. It was slow in the sun and fast in the shade as is normal for this time of year.

Today I did 100 suspension pushups and 100 rows.

Last edited by vern on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 am

Tuesday, ran ~6 miles on the flat in 1:14. My conditioning is good right now but I don't have my running legs yet.

Wed, ran out 30 minutes and then back on a fairly flat logging road. Another slow one.

Today, I needed some hill time so I hiked up to Rattlesnake Ledge in 48 minutes. It was cool and overcast today but I still got soaked with sweat. (39 minutes for the return trip.)

This was followed immediately by hot Shanghai soup dumplings and cold beer. That's a good day in anybody's book.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 am

That does sound like a good day, vern.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 am

When you come out to Seattle Mickey we'll give you the tour!

Today the old YRG 20 minute workout.

In the Candidates Tournament in London Carlsen got his first win (and with black!). I've heard that Kasparov has been coaching him too. This could be his year...

(I really like Danny King's videos BTW.)

Speaking of Kasparov, I see that his series My Story is up on youtube now. I own this dvd set (I know, I know, I have a problem!) and learned a lot from it. It's very advanced stuff but with a lot of pause button pressing and repeated viewings it will open up for you.

You can't beat getting free chess lessons from one of the greatest players in history. This game with Portisch from 1983 with bishop sacrifices on h7 and g7 is a real standout...

vern

Post by vern » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 am

Thursday, ran ~6 miles in 1:09.

Friday, skied up at Cabin Creek for 1:47. They got a ton of new snow up there and it was freshly groomed. The sun was out and it was a bit slow but any ski after the solstice is gravy so no complaints here.