Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Vern's House

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 pm

What's a good place for relearning chess for myself and teaching my kids chess, vern? Pretty much starting over and a beginner.

Sorry if I have asked you this question before.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

Wow Mickey, that's funny timing on your question. I just sent my nephew this No Stress Chess set for his birthday. It's supposed to be very good for beginners.

I bought it on amazon so I haven't looked at it personally but the reviews are really positive.

I also recommend GM Raymond Keene's Pocket Book of Chess. This is a great book for beginners or intermediate players and you can buy a copy for just a penny.

Here's a young Samuel Reshevsky (the Bobby Fischer of his time) giving a simul. I love the guy in the corner with his hand on his head!

Last edited by vern on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks, Vern! I appreciate it!

vern

Post by vern » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 am

Wednesday, Cabin Creek for 1:57. I went nonstop as always and couldn't make myself tired. Another good day.

Today the sun came out for a bit and I hiked for about an hour.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:39 pm

That doesn't look relaxing at all. :happiness:
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

vern

Post by vern » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 am

Ed Zachary wrote:Image
That doesn't look relaxing at all. :happiness:
Ahhh, the power of alcohol EZ!

Friday ran another slow 6 miles. I just wasn't feeling the love.

Sunday I did my old go to 5 mile run in 1:04. I felt slow again and thought the time was going to be around 1:15 so I'm happy with it.

And now on to March Madness talk...Congratulations to Magnus Carlsen for winning the very strong Candidates Tournament in London! (Fuck basketball.)

It came down to the wire with both he and Kramnik tied in the last round. Then they each lost!!! Insane. They're scores were still tied but the first tie-breaker is who has the most wins so Carlsen advances.

He'll play Anand for the world championship later this year. (He should win.)

vern

Post by vern » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am

Tuesday went for a 4 mile logging road run zen style. (Felt pretty slow.)

Odin's day I did my 6 mile park run with river cool down in 1:09. I haven't had a strong run yet this year but I'm sure it's coming. Maybe the paleo eating is the culprit.

(It's been warm out lately so I think skiing is over until November. Damn it!)

vern

Post by vern » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Friday, did a logging road run in the howling wind for 1:11. This was a new stretch with a couple of steep hills and I'm not sure of the mileage.

100 pushups at the end.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 pm

vern wrote:. . . I haven't had a strong run yet this year but I'm sure it's coming. Maybe the paleo eating is the culprit. . . .
Have you tried supplementing with coconut oil? I've heard tell that a bit of extra fat will help off set the lag from low carb eating.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 am

I'll give that a try Ed. I do take coconut oil on occasion but I've never tried it before a run. Much appreciated!

Over the weekend I won 4 games in a row from a friend who is about my level. I don't play chess a lot, but I do study it a bit almost every day. Puzzles, old master games, etc...

Yesterday I did a hike in the sun for about 40 minutes.

Today I did the park run with river cool down in 1:01. I felt OK and threw in some sprints along the way. There were a few other runners out there so that made me pick up the pace a bit too.

This morning in the blender I whipped up...

2 really ripe bananas
1/2 bag frozen blackberries
1/2 bag frozen peaches
1 scoop of cookies 'n cream whey powder
1 cup water
6 ice cubes

This low rent sherbet was pretty damn tasty.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Friday, cut the grass, raked, and did some other yard stuff for about two hours. Then I got back to lording over my realm.

Sunday, knocked out a quick 30 minute run.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:18 am

Wednesday I did the park run (~6.5 miles) with river dunk in 1:19. I felt good on this one and added the half mile on the fly.

On the "Shit I feel old" front...there's this young gal from Japan that works at my favorite bakery. I can speak a little, so when I go in, I try to order in Japanese just to practice. The other day she asks me, "How did you learn to speak Japanese?"

"Oh, I took a course on tape years ago."

She looks at me all confused and says, "Tape?"

"Yeah, you know...I took a class on tape."

"Tape?"

Wow, I felt like a fossil right then. She was probably thinking..."Gee, how can you learn a language from masking tape?"

vern

Post by vern » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 am

Wednesday, I did a ~4.5 mile run in ~50 minutes.

Thursday, it was another park run of ~6 miles with river cool down in 1:08.

I felt good on both of these runs. Still dancing right along over here...

vern

Post by vern » Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 am

Sunday I did a quick 30 minute run with sprints included.

Wednesday, ~5.5 miles on a logging road...beautiful day.

Today, it was back to the river park for ~6 mile run in 1:18. It was warm and sunny and the bikinis were out in force.

I stumbled upon this video of Nakamura winning a game with a double Muzio King's Gambit. This is my favorite opening because it has a knight sac built right into it. I had a book on bizarre openings a while ago and this one really blew me away. I've never had a chance to try it though because no one has ever played g5, g4 against me.

You don't see the king's gambit played much at the top levels except in speed chess. It's a flawed gambit and Bobby Fischer wrote an article years ago basically proving it. But hey, anything can happen in blitz.

Andreikin seems to equalize with Bh6 and then Qh4. (I hadn't seen those moves before.) But Nakamura pulls it out in the end on time. Note how fast his last few moves are. The guy is a blitzing machine.

(Sorry, I've had a lot of coffee today.)

vern

Post by vern » Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Tuesday, ran on the ski trails at Lake Easton for 1:11. It was sunny and warm out, but there's plenty of shade at this park. Afterwards I did 100 pushups and got some sun.

Wednesday, I did a 4.2 mile logging road run. I wanted to go further but I just wasn't feeling it.

Thursday, cut the grass.

vern

Post by vern » Thu May 16, 2013 9:12 am

Tuesday, ran for 1:26 on the ski trails at Lake Easton.

Wednesday, did my park run with river dunk in just over an hour.

I felt really good on both of these outings and threw in some sprints along the way.

vern

Post by vern » Mon May 20, 2013 2:33 am

Thursday I picked up two large blue spruce trees and two ginkgo trees at the nursery. (The ginkgo's that don't smell like vomit.)

Then I hauled them home in the truck and planted them. This turned out to be a damn tough workout!

vern

Post by vern » Mon May 20, 2013 2:33 am

Monday, I did the park run/river dunk in 1:14. But it's been warm out lately so the bird bath isn't too manly anymore.

Tuesday, it was a :56 minute logging road run. I threw in some good sprints as well today.

vern

Post by vern » Sun May 26, 2013 4:08 am

Saturday, after a steaming bowl of beef pho chased with a mug of cold beer I did my go to 5 mile run in one hour on the nose. I felt very happy upon arriving in the country.

Crank up the volume for one of the finest pieces of music ever written!!! (Soylent Green for the win!)

vern

Post by vern » Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 am

Tuesday, park run/river dunk in 1:08.

Wednesday, a one hour logging road run the pouring rain and heavy mud. Sometimes I don't know what the hell I'm thinking.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Sunday, I only cut half the yard due to time constraints.

Monday, park run/river dunk followed by a beer and soda water with lime chaser.

Today, finished mowing the yard in the sun.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Monday, it was back to the park run/river dunk.

Tuesday I drove down to the Columbia River to catch some shad. The count is high but it was the windiest day I've ever seen down there. (And that's no small statement.) I was able cast OK, but the wind was so strong it kept the line from sinking to the fish. The rod was bent to the side from the wind just standing on the shore.

I pulled the plug after a miserable 20 minute try. Maybe next week.

Wednesday, 4.2 miles on a logging road. There were a few clouds and a little rain but nothing too serious.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:02 am

Last Saturday, 10x10 two handed swings with a 40
5x5 dips
100 pushups

Monday, 4.2 mile logging road run.

Before the run I finally broke down and bought a bicycle. It's a Trek 7100, whatever the fuck that means.

Tuesday, rode the bike for 1:20 at my river dunk park. Damn, bike technology has come a long way since the 1970's! I had a good time and definitely felt it in my thighs later that day.

Wednesday, tried out the bike on a logging road I usually run. Rode out and back a few times in just over an hour.

Kookballs, running, yoga, xc skiing, juicing, and now this...just how much Koolaid can one person consume? Stay tuned to find out.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Monday, 1:34 on the bike.

Tuesday, 1:31 on the bike in the wind.

Wednesday, did a 4.2 mile logging road run.

Here's a great interview with Kasparov that is worth your time...

vern

Post by vern » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 am

Cut the lawn in the scorching heat yesterday. Got some good sun and finished with a beer in the shade.

Damn, RIP Alan! One of the best drummers from the 80's IMHO.