Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 am

Wednesday, rode the bikes from Rattlesnake Lake into North Bend on the Snoqualmie Trail. It was closed there for construction so I got a beer and enjoyed it in the shade of a park before returning. The uphill ride back was finished with a 20 minute swim amid the pasty white Seattleites starting the holiday weekend.

Friday, ~20 mile bike ride finishing on my goto 10 mile (uphill) stretch.

Some great old time Devo stuff with Alan 'in the zone' at 5:40...

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 am

Tuesday we went up to Lake Easton and rode the bikes to the tunnel ~half way to the dam at Hyak. It was nice and cool up high which made for a good ride.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sgt. Major

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 am

The bicycle cool aide sinks in deep. I think it's that you feel like you're going somewhere. In an hour on the bike you can go to the next town and back.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Bike riding is one of the most enjoyable things I do now and is one of my fondest memories of childhood.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 am

Yeah guys, we're hooked. I think running is a better workout, but you can't beat all of the extra scenery that comes with the longer distances.

Like today for example. We went up to Lake Easton again and rode for a few hours. On the way out a big bobcat ran across the road in front of me. He stopped in the tree line and watched me as I rolled up. He was really relaxed and felt safe back in the shade so I got a good look at him before pedaling off.

The interesting thing is that I think this is probably the same big cat I saw XC skiing up here a few years back. It was within three miles of the earlier sighting so I'd bet that was him again.

Another good day in the books!

vern

Post by vern » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 am

Tuesday, biked for ~2:20 from Lake Easton to the dam and back with some extra riding and a quick swim thrown in.

Wednesday, Rattlesnake Lake to North Bend. A few beers at the local watering hole and then rode back uphill to the lake. A nice long swim in the more comfortable lake to finish off. It was sunny and warm both days.

Damn, German TV beats the fuck out of the crap they feed us over here! (And the paypal guy plays at a 2350 level? Very impressive.)

vern

Post by vern » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 am

Saturday, rode the bike on my goto 10 mile loop.

Sunday, it was cooler and I felt good so I added ~4 miles to my 10 mile ride.

Goddamn, Butch Willis is an American treasure!

vern

Post by vern » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 am

Monday, rode around a park for ~38 minutes but I was (sleep) tired so I lied down on the grass in the shade for a bit at the end.

Tuesday, another bike run from Lake Easton to the dam in a bit over 2 hours. Got some good sun.

Wednesday, cut the grass for about an hour and then cooled off with the hose and some beer.

Butch at the end, "I liked the second take better." lol!

vern

Post by vern » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 am

Thursday, 10 mile go-to bike ride.

Friday, ~12 mile go-to ride.

Saturday, 10 mile go-to ride.

Monday, 4.2 mile logging road run with a river dunk at the turn around.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:04 am

Tuesday, Lake Easton to the Stampede Pass road and back.

Thursday, 10 mile goto bike ride.

Saturday, 10 mile goto ride again.

Damn, Ondar died at 51, RIP.

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am

Were your ears burning yesterday?

I have been doing kookballs and jiujitsu all summer and had some spare time so I re-read your log and damn if it isn't one of the most inspiring reads on IgX! Running, Zen, Chess, Art, Music, Nature and Food, etc. So I channelled the Great Vern and plodded out 5 miles for the first time since Spring! It looks like it will be running and jiujitsu for me for the late summer and fall, since the weather is becoming more agreeable. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work! *even broke out my old copy of born to run and chirunning to look at again*

Thanks brother!
Soup!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:30 am

vern has a great log.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 am

Aw shucks, you guys are gonna make me cry! Glad to be of help Soupy. Good job with the running...I'm all about moving over lifting.

I have a friend who's my exact age who is into heavy barbell work. He's strong as hell and goes to meets and all that stuff. But by his own admission, he can't run 100 yards without gassing out.

I'm weak as hell, but I can run 26.2 miles without gassing out. It's just a question of what's important to you.

Sunday, goto 10 mile bike ride. The hill is getting easier and I can go up it in a higher gear now.

Tuesday ~47 minute ride at a fairly flat park. (I wasn't really feeling it.)

Thursday, goto 10 mile ride.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:11 am

Friday, goto 12 mile ride.

Saturday, goto 12 mile ride. 100 pushups.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:20 am

Tuesday, spent the day down in Hood River Oregon. Biked back and forth on the Twin Tunnels trail a few times for ~20 miles total. Then went swimming in the Columbia River and finished with beer and grub at Big Horse Ales. Good times.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 am

Friday, goto 10 mile ride.

Saturday, goto 10 mile ride.

Sunday, goto 11 mile ride. 100 pushups.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 am

Had a good sauna tonight. I haven't been out there in a while and forgot to make a vihta beforehand. (We use cedar out here in the Pacific Northwest. It's green year round and the smell is amazing.)

The proletarian brush worked just fine in any case.

I finished up with beer and liverwurst.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 am

Tuesday, goto 11 mile ride.

Thursday, goto 11 mile ride.

Fuck, I'm moving to Oberhof!!!

vern

Post by vern » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:30 am

Monday, I labored a bit by cutting the grass. Then finished up with beer and grilled brats. It's a cliché, but damn does it work.

Tuesday, had a good ride from Lake Easton to the bridge at Roaring Creek. It was sunny and cool out which made for perfect biking weather.

On the way back I scored some cedar branches for the sauna.

Later I made a juice on the fly that turned out really good...

1/2 bunch purple kale
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 fennel bulb
1 lime
~1/2 pound of red grapes (The California red grapes are ON right now!)

I hadn't juiced fennel before but it has a great licorice flavor.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 am

Thursday, goto 10 mile ride. This was my first time going up the hill into a screaming headwind. That sucked.

Friday, goto 11 mile ride.

I scored me some organic Asian Pear arbitrage today. A guy at work has a few trees that he doesn't spray and brought in two big bags full. Not many people ate them because they were small and had some bugs.

I cut around the bugs and juiced about 48 ounces worth. Fucking heaven.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

Saturday, my goto 10 mile ride into that fucking headwind again.

Tuesday, rode from Rattlesnake Lake to the turn around at the Snoqualmie River. I had a few cold ones at a local watering hole in North Bend on the return leg.

I came back up to the lake in seventh gear the entire time which is a first. (That hill is a joke compared with my usual ride.)

Then had a really nice swim in the lake that included plenty of sunshine and some diving off of submerged stumps. There were a few people out to take advantage of summer's end by swimming, paddle boarding, hiking, and biking.

Bitchy Waiter just put up a great post about Labor Day weekend. Enjoy.

The Lamb, The Bitch, and the Chambord

vern

Post by vern » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 am

The Columbia River is jammed full of salmon and steelhead right now. One day last week over 70,000 salmon came over Bonneville dam. (These are record numbers!)

I picked up a fishing kayak last month and I'm going down there for a few days to try my luck.

A bit of cardio and some wild Omega 3's... what's not to love?

This isn't me but you get the idea...

vern

Post by vern » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 am

Well shit, I didn't catch any salmon or steelhead. The kayak worked great and I had my rod holder placed just right, but nobody caught any while I was there. The salmon are a bit early this year and the consensus is that the water is still too warm for them to start biting.

But I had a lot of fun for my first time ever in a kayak. It's a really good workout going into the wind and I felt it in my grip, arms, chest, and legs.

As a bonus I caught some smallmouth bass and a big catfish that fought just like a steelie. (He had me fooled there for a bit.)

Thursday, ~7 hours in the kayak pulling HotnTots, Wiggle Warts, and a blue green U20.

Friday, got my sore ass out there again for ~5 hours of fishing. I took a break for lunch and got some sun and went for a swim too. I went back out but a serious west wind picked up and I had to run for cover. It got a little scary out there at the end but I made it back OK.

Monday, 3 hours on the bikes at Lake Easton in the rain. Turned around at the Roaring Creek bridge.

Another cool thing about kayak fishing is that I got a lot of compliments from both the rednecks AND the Indians fishing down there. It didn't translate to any fish, but it still felt good. The weather has really cooled off these last few days, so I might try to hit 'em again this week.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:31 am

Tuesday, 52 minute bike ride at a flat park. It was windy and not much fun.

Wednesday, biked along the river for ~1:40. A perfect sunny and cool day and I went about 25 miles. (Everything seems easy after my usual hill. I guess I'm finally getting my sea legs.) We had some killer Greek food and beer afterwards.

Thursday, one hour of kayaking until the wind blew me off the river.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 am

Monday, ran for 1:20 at flat park with a river cool down at the end. We went out between storms and I even doubled back a half mile and took my shirt off to catch some extra sun. Then beer and pastrami.

Shit, this game by Nezhmetdinov has the most insane queen sacrifice I've ever seen! Queen for two rooks is generally considered an even swap, and many games feature queen for rook and minor piece. But this game has a queen swap for two minor pieces. When I played through it the other day, I thought 12. Qxf6 was a typo. (They happen occasionally.)

Someone in the comments section posted a story from this game that appeared to be drifting towards a draw..."Chernikov was sure that his opponent wanted to rest that day. Therefore he quietly strolled about in the tournament hall. Meanwhile time went on and Nezh continued to think. Everyone was puzzled "what was Rashid Gibyatovich thinking about", there was no avoiding a draw...At last a boy, out of breath, ran up to Chernikov and said: "Dyadya, a Queen has been sacrificed to you!"

Nezhmetdinov was an incredible player and I'll have to check out more of his games.

White to move...