Vern's House

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

vern

Re: Vern's House

Post by vern » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 am

Yeah, I love your STX Dave! Thanks.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 am

29 Jan - Galloway's revenge.

I ran a really crappy 5 miles on the flat. It was raining and I just wasn't feeling the love at all.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Post by vern » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 am

I didn't have a lot of time today but I managed to sneak in a quick ski at Hyak. ~6.2 miles in 49 minutes.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:11 am

12.4 miles at Hyak in 1:41. That beats my old PR by ten minutes.

I knew it would be good skiing today after a short day yesterday and a rest day Sunday. I fuelled up with biscuits and gravy* and went for it.

Good wax and below freezing temps equal very fast snow. The IPA waiting in the truck was earned today.

Now I'll have to try and shoot for 1:30 by the end of the season.

*For the record, I don't think there is a resaurant in this state that knows how to do biscuits and gravy properly. We stopped at a place that does a passable version since I was just looking for a 'full tank of fuel'.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:09 am

~13 miles at Hyak in 2:01. I skiied a bit past the dam to look for bobcat tracks. I saw a big one there last year coming back from a long ski. He came out of the forest and leapt across the ski trail in one go. I could see the muscles flexing in his shoulder. Then he got a look at me and jumped right back in the woods. No such luck today.

I've seen four bobcats in my life and they were all while XC skiing. About 6 years ago at Cabin Creek I skiied right up to one. I guess he didn't recognize me as a human because I was just sliding along with no noise. I got right next to him (close enough to touch him with my ski pole) and said 'What's up Vern?' As soon as he heard my voice he took off in a flash. I guess he'd been shot at before.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:02 am

I drove up to Cabin Creek to ski and almost turned around because of the rain. I kept going though because yesterday was a rest day.

I'm glad I made it up there because it was the best day of skiing this year so far. There was a little rain that made the tracks super fast like just Zambonied ice. It felt just as fast as ice skaing, but in the forest.

This is what XC skiing is all about, very fast flat ground, scary downhills, and I didn't see another soul for 2:14.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:39 am

I jogged 5 miles in 1:09.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 am

I ran ~6 miles with some steep hills (~500 feet up) in 1:22.

vern

Post by vern » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:05 am

It was snowing hard and slow going at Cabin Creek so I only stayed for 1:01.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 am

I had to take the truck to the stealership for a recall fix. (Some electronic part.)

I went in my running clothes and did 8 miles in 1:33 while they were working on it. I'll take it.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 am

Went running today at a park I'm not familiar with. I ran for 1:44 and would guess I covered ~9 miles.

vern

Post by vern » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Saturday 12 Feb, ran 4 miles in :57 with ~300 feet of it uphill. It was insanely windy and, for the record, tacos are lousy running food.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am

Sunday 13 Feb...ran 5.5 miles in 1:17 with ~500 ft climb. I felt really strong on this one.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 am

Monday 14 February...I skied on the hills at Cabin Creek for 1:34. It was drizzly/fast again and it was all non stop. My kick was shitty though so I had to skate up the hills.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 am

I ran today for 1:27 and figured I covered 7-8 miles.

vern

Post by vern » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 am

12.4 miles to the dam and back at Hyak in 1:59. It was fast for the first 45 minutes and then it started snowing pretty damn hard.

Downhillers love new powder but it fucks up XC skiing big time. Still a good day.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 am

Ran 6 miles in 56 minutes. I was feeling the love today.

vern

Post by vern » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Friday 18 Feb at Hyak...I skied to the dam and back twice for a total of 24.8 miles in 3:57.

vern

Post by vern » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Saturday, 19 February...5X5 double clean and presses with the 24s.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 am

Monday, 21 February...I made some BBQ pork sandwiches for lunch that were great, but gave me a bit of heartburn. I don't get this too often but I felt crappy enough to only stay for one lap at Cabin Creek in :40 minutes.

Get some of your favorite BBQ sauce and...
2 pork tenderloins, 12 to 16 ounces each
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
5 cups finely shredded green cabbage (half a 2-pound cabbage)
4 potato rolls, or other soft sandwich rolls

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Divide Quick BBQ Sauce between two bowls. Use one for basting the raw meat; reserve the other for serving with sandwiches.
2.Place pork on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Brush generously with sauce. Roast, basting occasionally with sauce, until an instant-read thermometer registers 150 degrees, 18 to 25 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, make slaw: In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Mix in cabbage.
4.Thinly slice pork; serve on rolls, accompanied by slaw and reserved sauce.

Last edited by vern on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

vern

Post by vern » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 am

I felt better today and ran 8 miles in 1:29.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:41 pm

vern wrote:Monday, 21 February...I made some BBQ pork sandwiches for lunch that were great, but gave me a bit of heartburn. I don't get this too often but I felt crappy enough to only stay for one lap at Cabin Creek in :40 minutes.

Get some of your favorite BBQ sauce and...
2 pork tenderloins, 12 to 16 ounces each
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
5 cups finely shredded green cabbage (half a 2-pound cabbage)
4 potato rolls, or other soft sandwich rolls

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Divide Quick BBQ Sauce between two bowls. Use one for basting the raw meat; reserve the other for serving with sandwiches.
2.Place pork on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Brush generously with sauce. Roast, basting occasionally with sauce, until an instant-read thermometer registers 150 degrees, 18 to 25 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, make slaw: In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Mix in cabbage.
4.Thinly slice pork; serve on rolls, accompanied by slaw and reserved sauce.

I love a good barbecue sandwich!

vern

Post by vern » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:21 am

I ran 8 miles in 1:32 today.

Hell yeah Micky! I grew up in Roanoke so I busted out laughing when a friend here asked me where to put the coleslaw.

Fucking Yankees.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 am

Roanoke, VA? Shit, I grew up in Clarksville, VA.

vern

Post by vern » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:Roanoke, VA? Shit, I grew up in Clarksville, VA.
"Dahmn!" I wasn't born down south but I got there as quick as I could.

Thursday I pruned, sawed, hauled, and stacked wood from some out of control trees for over an hour. (No chainsaw.)