IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:23 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: SHOW UP & DO THE WORK
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Feb. 19 Open Mat

Sparred alternate 5 min. rounds with Aaron and Josh. With Aaron, who is one of our best 185 lb'ers, we started on the feet. After some handfighting & repositioning, he took me down with a Body Lock. From there, he presented me with several opportunities to escape the Mount and to move to Half Guard, which I did. I fended off an Armbar or two, he briefly took my back, so lots of handfighting there. Maybe 3-4 minutes into the round, he finished me with an Arm Triangle.

Josh is a heavyweight with about one year of experience. We started from knees & I moved fairly quickly to Side Control. I got Mount twice. First time, he bucked me off. Second time, I stayed loose & let it flow. When he turned, I let him, and went to his back. Kept a dominant position throughout, but never submitted him.

Back to Aaron. He took me down & I defended against a lot of stuff. At one point he had me in some sort of Gift Wrap type neck crank that was uncomfortable as hell, but no submit. After another few minutes, he Armbarred me.

I'm glad to be back in the game. I did well, considering the layoff & illness, but my endurance is gone. It's no secret what I need to do to rebuild endurance: wrassle more.

Last edited by johno on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Back to Business
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Feb. 21

Boxing, then grappling class. Armbar from Bottom Guard. No spar tonight, work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Feb. 26 Open Mat - Grappling
Eric was gone and the inmates were running the asylum.

Medium roll with Josh, who has a tournament coming up. We did alternating rolls from Top/Bottom Guard. I did OK.

Roll with Jens, one of our other better 185 lb'ers & Aaron's brother. I did pretty well, passing his Guard with my Stack PassTM. But he got me with a funky inverted Triangle & Armbar. Later, an Anaconda, which he finished from Bottom Guard - that creates enormous pressure. My greatest victory with him was taking his back for a few seconds.

Drill with Brian, a newby. Worked on Guard Passes. And I showed him the Hipover/Kimura/Guillotine/Unstoppable Reverse from Bottom Guard.

A pretty good day. Jay gave me some pointers on setting up the Triangle - a new tool for my toolbox.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:50 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 3 AM grappling

Only four guys in the gym this AM. They were already paired up & sparring when I arrived. So Eric invited me to warm up with a light roll. How could I say no?
A disorienting experience. Where most guys from my gym challenge me with Butterfly Hooks & threaten to pass, and aggressively defend against my Guard Pass, Eric just flopped over on his side. From there, he stymied me at almost every point. He gave no space for my Underhook, except to set me up for a wristlock. At one point I got a Front Headlock & spun to his back. Putting in the hooks was a challenge. Long story, short: I tapped multiple times. But I learned a lot about preventing attacks on my neck & arms.

PM Kickboxing - Practiced the Drift Kick to the left & right. Fake a kick with one leg, bump step to get an angle, then fire the kick with the other leg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 8 Kickboxing & Grappling. *

Kickboxing - more on the Drift Kick. A spar drill, kicking only, setting up angles with feints.

Grappling - Drill: Side Control -> Judo Position to far arm Keylock/Americana. (The trick for me is to insert my near arm into the angle between his upper arm & forearm.) OK to make the Keylock with his arm on his chest, but then pressure it down to his side, and return to Side Control with one elbow in his neck, the other in his hip.
Then drill Keylock -> Mount -> Armbar, if he extends his arm as defense. (Eric commented that this is a Rickson "go to" move.)

Spar - I was ready to roll/drill with Josh, but he was occupied. Eric said, "Let's roll." So we did for an hour.
(Tomorrow Eric has foot surgery, so it's our last roll for a while.)

*I carbed up for the effort. My energy levels and stamina are better when I'm not low carb'ing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:03 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 10 Kickboxing - 10, fake 9, double on the 10. Then, 10, fake 9 with a drift step, fire 10. (Faking the 9: it's all in the hips. But that sets up the 10 that follows.)

Grappling - No grapple. But I did assist Eric, who's now in a walking boot, in showing the fine points of the Keylock and Keylock -> Armbar. The Keylock wasn't in my arsenal before, but now that I have learned some of the finer points of setting it up, I may put it to use. I'm even daydreaming about Russian -> Standing Dbl Wristlock on near arm -> Trip -> Mount/Side Mount to submission.

Note - Low carb'ing = less energy, faster fatigue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Last edited by johno on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 13 Fire Fighter SCBA Confidence Course

I never thought grappling would have any "carryover" to my job, and never cared if it did.

Sunday, I did an SCBA Confidence Course that involved negotiating lots of obstacles and narrow spaces in a very smoky, lights-out environment. We were warned that we might (cough, cough) have to take off our SCBA's & push them through the tight spaces ahead of us, in order to get through the course. My crew & I made it through the course in very good time, and I never had to take off my SCBA, thanks to all of the shrimping & elbow-escape drills I've done in the last three years.
The instructors were surprised.

"WTF Effect," Comrade!

PS - Low carbing sucks. One more week before I move to a more human way of eating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:43 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 15 AM Grappling

Small class today. Drill 360 degree with a brand newby. Drill-spar Side Control Top/Bottom. I Keylocked him. Later taught him the Keylock from Mount & Judo Position.

I thought that was it. Nobody there to spar with. But Jens showed up & we rolled for two 8-10 minute spars. He prevailed, but I made him earn it. My Armbar & RNC defense was good. And I fought off one of two Triangles. I nearly got him in a Banana Split, but "nearly" wasn't good enough. Good roll.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 21 Grappling

Drill - Closed Gd -> Shin Gd -> Kimura. I reject Joe Rogan's statement that the Kimura is only a strong man's submission.

Spar - "Attack of the White Belts" Five minute rounds, one guy in Top Guard, the other guy on Bottom Guard. Then switch positions. After that, switch partners.
First spar was with the guy I'd drilled with, who gave a too-cool-for-school vibe. He went balls to the wall, exertion-wise, and quickly tired himself out. He fell to two Arm Triangles.

Second spar was with a guy who maybe weighed 130 lb. So I Arm Triangled him once to show I could, then went to coaching mode - he was very new. I taught him Guard Pass & that he needs to not extend his arms out straight from Bottom Guard.

Third spar was with one of the Old Hands from our school. We had a great roll. He hit a loose Triangle (damn!) & I postured and fought out of it. I fought off a Kimura by crowding him. He hit a funky Switch-type Reversal that took me off my base - very surprising. At one point, I Old School reversed him & took his back. Nobody got submitted. Great fun!

Fourth spar was with a yoked new guy, who I maybe had some pounds on. Again, with the Arm Triangle. After that, I did a bit of coaching. Then, in another spar, he went to his feet & got me in a Ten Finger Guillotine. I refused to tap, turned my head, handfought & escaped, but it was a close thing. Overconfidence is a bitch.

A good night. The only downside was that, during my warmup, I grabbed a 30 lb KB & did a couple of Windmills with it, and jacked my right shoulder. That was my good shoulder. Hopefully, it heals without drama.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:44 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 22 Kickboxing

1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 10 & throw the 1 on the way out.
I twisted my knee throwing the 10, and it kept on twinging, no matter what I did to fix it. So I bagged the workout & iced the knee.

Today, Eric gave me the key to the gym. I can sneak in some bag work when I get off work in the AM, before I go home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 23 Boxing mittwork. Focus on the 3.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 26 Open Mat

Not a grappler in the house. I hung out for an hour, warming up, warming up, warming up. But the only guys there were kickboxers.
OK, off to Joey's for drinks & lunch with my girls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:52 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Mar. 29 AM Grappling

Drill only. Triangle defenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

August 19

Still grappling, but a long layoff for the log.

Sparred with a strong, heavy newby last night; he has some wrestling history. I found myself in Bottom Closed Guard, waiting him out. Usually I go straight to Half Guard -> Pass when I'm down.

20 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 6

Drill - Leglock from Top Half Guard; Passing from Top Half Guard

Spar - One of our new guys has a fight coming up & wanted to work on his Standup endurance, so he got the Sharktank treatment for 3 rounds. Then, just takedown Round Robins. On an otherwise nonstellar performance, I finished on a high note, taking down one of our heavyweights with my Headlock & Trip.

30 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:25 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 7

Drill Standup: Pummel, Body Lock from Over/Under (drop the Under shoulder), and Arm Spin.

Spar with Drew, then Jacques.

20 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 10

Easy day. Solo drills and watch Saulo R. video on passing Open Guard.

0 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:18 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 12

Grappling private lesson: Guillotines...10 Finger, "McKenzietine", G. from Front Headlock, G. from Bottom Guard.

Then Boxing.

0 min. sparring

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 13

Grappling - Open Mat

Sparred with Derrick, Gabriel, and Jacques. I spent too much time on defense with Derrick, fighting off two RNC's.
Yesterday's Guillotine lesson paid off with a tap this session.

Stamina is improving. "Slow carb" is way better than Locarb for my energy & endurance. (Although it's only Week II.)

25 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 19 Boxing, then off to work 11 hours overtime. So, no time for grappling.

0 min.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sept. 22 Grappling Open Mat

I was hungover & already feeling beat up, but I reminded myself that I'd feel better after a nice spar.

40 min. roll with Jens, who seemed to move super-quick today. I got to work on my Armbar & Triangle defense mostly. And RNC's. There were glimmers of competence here & there: I reversed him with an Old School, later momentarily took Side Control, one time shucked him from my Back & for a second had his back.
Jens's Single Leg defense is ridiculously good - he reversed me every time I got the Sgl.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:01 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Oct. 6 Grappling

Drill - Opponent is against the fence: Dbl Leg to Sgl Leg* when opponent is against the fence. Run the Pipe & when he hits the mat, crawl up his body, keeping far side Uhook.

Light/medium spar for 20 min. with Jay. He played "catch & release," not finishing all the submissions that he could have. I repeatedly got to Side Control, and once, got an arm-in Guillotine that didn't last long.

My wrists/thumbs are holding up pretty well. The Trigger Point stuff helped.

*IMO, 2X the number of against-the-fence takedown attempts would succeed if fighters used this switch.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Oct. 11 Grappling

It's one of the treasured, rare days when no one shows up for daytime class. So I got a private lesson from Eric.

Mat
From Top Guard - posture & elbow position to prevent being Armdragged.
Against Open Guard - Push feet to mat & hip in, donkey kick & trap his foot; block the knee & pass to Side Control
OR - stand up & use other passes

Standup
"California" wrestling, handfighting; defending the Sgl Leg
Outside arm tie to Sgl Leg
Outside arm tie to Underhook
Outside arm ties to Armdrag to either Dbl Leg or go behind-Bodylock-Lift, depending on my stance

I am in information overload.

0 min. sparring

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Oct. 13 Kickboxing with the Kid.

Thai prum, knee, then #9 & push out.

Entry to prum by smothering his hands, off-balance him, and knee.

W.B. Yeats