IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 am

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1820 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:18 am 
Sergeant Commanding

April 11 Nomad Invitational Open Mat - grapplers from local schools are invited for BBQ & wrassling.

#1 - Roll with Ben, a big muscular dude. He looked 210, but said he was 230. Two rounds, he won both, one by a rear Triangle mess that was just too much pressure to want to deal with. Second one was an Arm Triangle. I did well with the hand fighting & defense, but I was a bit intimidated and didn't really pull the killswitch.

#2 - Roll with Norton, a former college wrestler, Div. One All American, community college head wrestling coach. Good roll, I fell to a headlock choke and an Armbar from Gift Wrap.

#3 - Roll with a normal human being. Dominated.

Then Norton coached Shannon & me on Sprawl vs. Dbl Leg and Leg Dive after being taken down, where you come up between his legs.

Good: hand fighting, taking inside ties. Getting my bottom Half Guard. Defense.
Bad: being a bit intimidated & slow to attack.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:42 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
. . . . #3 - Roll with a normal human being. Dominated. . . .

I feel your pain. Our school is a fucking slaughterhouse.

I went up to the main school a few weeks back. It was nice rolling with guys who weren't trying to kill me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:32 pm 
Sgt. Major

I feel for you guys...

I had a counter-intuitive experience with my running but kinda maybe sorta relevant here...

I needed to get better so I just kinda inserted myself into a training group of really fast runners and busted ass to keep up...

And nothing much happened other than suffering and awe at their speed.

So, I started running most days with a group that were all slower than me and everything turned around.

I got faster and faster on test days and soon was running with the faster guys more and more...

Fuck that was random. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

April 13 NoonJitsu

Worked takedowns from the knees with The Master. Snapdown to Dbl Leg. A Classic. And Eric hit me with some Knee Taps.
Also Passby.
And Snapdown to Front Headlock.
I did some pretty good groundwork, passing the Guard with Knee Cut and trapping his feet when he uses Butt Scoot Guard.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

April 14 Boxing philosophy with Eric. Then Thai food for lunch.

April 15 Station Fit: work the derringers with Incline Bench DB press & Chinups.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

April 17 Taking an internet "fast" for about 10 days. Will report back then.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:07 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

April 27 In the past week, I:
1 - went to Maui with family, including a meet up & sharing condo with in-laws from New Zealand
2 - hung out, watching waves hit the beach
3 - drank many Mai Tais, fruity drinks, switching to wine at night
4 - ate whatever I saw
5 - walked the beach every day
6 - stayed off the internets until I got some important news*
7 - visited the Maui Grappling Academy & acquitted myself fairly well. Same shortcomings as before; those will be addressed in time

*One of my Fire Dept. members passed away at a training class. He was a contemporary of mine, career-wise, but 12 years younger. (In much worse physical shape.)
This intensifies my contemplation of my life and my retirement options, and my approach to physical training.

W.B. Yeats

Post subject: Re: Hand Slap = ATTACK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

April 28 Roll with Eric. Worked up a good sweat. At one time, got a nice Guillotine entry. Otherwise, got handled. But I flow-rolled and didn't overthink things.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

April 29 Open Mat.

Rolled for 45 min. with Preston, a normal human being*. I pretty much rocked it: guard passes, passes to Mount, Arm Triangle, Back Takes, RNC, Armbar from Kimura attempt.
At one point, I rolled us over so I could work Bottom Half Guard & Deep Half Guard. It worked well on Preston.

I wanted to pick up the pace, ala Marcelo Garcia's "workout" video - that went so-so. Next time.

*It's a good thing I got Preston, 'cause rolling with our UFC fighter or Eric would not have gone so well.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

April 30

Drill with Josh.

Arm Drag. Eric coached us on the variations: Arm Drag to Dbl Leg, Arm Drag to Step In to Back Take/Body Lock/ High Crotch. My mind was spinning.

Add'l:
Entry to Arm Drag from OverUnder Tieup - position my hand on his Uhook arm/wrist (don't need to grab it, just lightly touch with butt of palm), then pop hips back while pushing his wrist down, then immediately pass his arm across his body to Drag with other hand.

Footwork: BUMP into his hip with nonDrag/Near hip, forcing him to step & turn his back.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 7 Easy day. With Tristan, drilled N/S Choke...lat pressure is the key, not arm pressure. And keep palm DOWN on choking arm, until the lat pressure is sunk in.
Drilled Thai Prum -> Kneeing the Belly/Balls -> Guillotine. Again, Eric recommends the McKenzie-tine to me, given my long & bony arms.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 8 Hose & Ladder drills. Thumbs/wrists no likee. But my Probationary Firefighter kicked ass, and that was the point of the exercise.

May 10 3 TBDL -> 1 TGU on the hour X 4 sets, with varying stances. Let's see how sore I get in the next 48 hours. (I will work up to some type of ladder arrangement for TBDL's.)

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:47 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 12

45 min. Dog Walk in the rain.

At Ring Demon - Rolled with Tony. He's shorter, younger (who isn't?), and stronger than I am.

Start from knees: Pummeling - I got good inside ties, then popped up to Front Headlock, then Guillotine, but DNF. We wound up in a 69 North/South position. His ankle was right in front of me, so I Josh Barnetted his ass & he tapped.
Four or five more rounds where I dominated, finishing with an Arm Triangle, another Ankle Lock, a Kimura. A couple of those rounds I let him take me to Bottom Half Guard, both to see what his top game was, and also to work my Bottom Half Guard.
Tony said my top pressure was heavy - that's funny because I tried to not grind & smash...I purposely didn't apply shoulder pressure in Side Control, for example.
Eric said he liked the way I tied up Tony. Advised me to bail to Front Headlock when my Darce attack wasn't working.

It's fun to roll with White Belts - it's a good chance to try stuff that isn't in my "A" Game.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:16 am 
Sergeant Commanding

May 12

Slow day at the Academy at noon. I had Eric all to myself so we made it a technique class.

Dbl Leg Guard Pass - Figure Four partner's legs, then climb his body using my leg power; likely Arm Triangle from this.

Arm Triangle Defense - ala Mifune (old school Judo guy): Turn away from partner, snugging down on his choking arm to relieve pressure, then Back Somersault, ending up in scramble, with me in the better position (behind him with a Single Leg opening).

Guillotine attempt -> MacKenzietine - Pressure with my shoulder in his back to pry with my forearm under his chin to open space to further sink my choking arm; keep hands closed; ratchet to the point that my elbow is lined up under his chin.

Triangle Defense - ala Mifune: pop up & keep elbow inside tucked by my knee (blocking Arm Bar), putting partner on the back of his head/neck, apply pressure, free hand can cup partner's tailbone to guide him over.

Three hours later, my neck is pretty sore from the Mifune backward somersault Arm Triangle Escape & the Leg Triangle Escape.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:43 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 23 Open Mat

Roll with Danny, a white belt type grappler who's trying to get back into rolling. I dominated. Kimura, NorthSouth Choke, and other stuff. Flowing to Mount more often...it's not a position that I usually hit, but I should develop some game from there.

Roll with Terry, who had dominated me a few months ago. Hand fought, got Front Headlock, went to his back, put in the hooks, and stalled out in sinking the RNC. I didn't do the dick move of crunching his face. After a bit, I let it all go - I don't need to hang out for 10 minutes beating on the guy's jawline with my bony forearm. Rolled a bit more to a draw. I'm happy that I've gotten my roll flow back.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:33 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

So tired of issues. It's wrists & thumbs again, so I'm on another break from grappling. Maybe I'll be back next week.

Back to TBDL, Incline BP, and Chins. GTG throughout the day.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 am 
Sergeant Commanding

June 5 Open Mat

Back at it, wearing full armor...wrist braces & duct tape holding my thumbs in place. But I felt the need to roll.

Roll with Dominic. New guy. He wanted to start standing (!) so I took him down. Passed his Guard (he was pretty flexible, so I had to learn his tricks) and caught him in an Arm Triangle. Next round from knees, caught him in a North/South Choke. (I think this is the first submission I've gotten with it.

Roll with Eric. A whole lot of keeping it playful. I got one good Guillotine entry and one N/S choke entry. Entry, not submission.

I'm glad I rolled.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 9 GTG: TBDL -> Incline BP -> Chinups. I hit the circuit 3 times, felt good; and on set 4, felt I'd done enough, finished with just the TBDL's, and quit.
Today I feel fine. As I have since I started this routine.
Wrists a little achey, but not enough to keep me away from grappling today.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 10 Open Mat

Roll with Tony, who I dominated a couple weeks ago. He is paying attention, because he was no pushover today.
Round 1 - johno by Guillotine from top.
Round 2 - a lot of back & forth, he took my back at one point & threatened RNC. He's a short, stocky guy, and it was hard to slide low & avoid the choke. Instead, a lot of grip fighting to prevent the Sleep. I threatened Arm Triangle, but no bueno. Then I went to Kesagatame & Josh Barnetted his ass. We were both breathing hard at that point, which made the submission easier.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:25 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 12 Dog Walk + GTG w/TBDL -> Incline BP -> Chinup

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:12 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 16 GTG

June 17 GTG, adding 10 L&R 1Arm 30 lb KB swings

Rolled with Matt for ~45min. He caught me 3X, IIRC. Once Darce, one Achilles Lock, and something else. Maybe.

He butt scooted, and I passed as I almost always do. I guillotined him, but no finish. He stacked me & laid on some oppressive pressure. At some point, he reversed me (I need to analyze this) and took Back & romped around in dominant positions.

Good: getting the Guard Guillotine with proper Hooks in;
Bad: need to be more on my side & create more pressure with Guillotine. Also, drill rolling to Top & finishing from there.

Bad: getting reversed - figure out what I'm missing.
Good: using my version of Old School to reverse from Bottom Half Guard. Using Lockdown to go to Bearhug.

Good: defending RNC

Salad w/chicken after, then soak wrists & forearms in Epsom Salts and apply liniment.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 am 
Sergeant Commanding

GTG

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:01 am 
Sergeant Commanding

June 24

Inspired by the Ladders thread: TBDL 2, 3, 5; Incline BP 2, 3, 5; Chins 2, 3, and #30 1Arm Swings. Wow, my back hated the Ladders on the DL. I'm back to triples & fewer for TBDL.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 am 
Sergeant Commanding

July 8

With Eric: Drill entry to FHL and FHL breakdown to Back Take.

Wrestle with Eric. I got a good Snag Single entry and he had to turn it up. Also came close to a back trip on him. I'm looser on the mat, actually improving.

Wrestle with new kid, a college student. Handled him pretty easily.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

July 10

No fuckin' guppies in the pool today, only sharks.

Light roll with Mike, our resident pro boxer. His wrestling has skyrocketed...he was a handful.

Heavy roll with Aaron, who's a beast & is back after a long layoff. That fucker nearly took off my arm with a Keylock. After that, I upped my game & we rolled to a draw in round 2. I quit (wisely) before I got too beat up.

W.B. Yeats

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1820 Next