IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:07 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:44 am 
Sergeant Commanding

July 4

July 5 Evening Gi class. Chokes from Bottom Guard & from Mount. Then from Back Take.

July 6 NoonJitsu - No Gi. I rolled with Will, and dominated. I focussed on using my head to base, as well as arms & legs. I conserved energy. Also, I used some of Pablo Popovitch's guard pass stuff, trapping his hips with my knees from Top Half Guard. Finally caught him in a Keylock/Americana. Then rolled with Derek. Did a Catch & Release Guillotine, and Old School Reverse, and some other stuff. Good rolls.

Then I consulted with Eric on FHL -> Guillotine. The secret is to seal his head in my chest, to not leave the head off the side of my body, at my ribs.
He also said I could throw my partner with a FHL, then roll to finish with Anaconda, given my long arms.

July 7

July 8 Sonnon FlowFit for 15 min.; P/rebab neck Yeses & No's; sauna.

July 9 Open Mat Grappling - rolled with Mike, then Chris.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am 
Sergeant Commanding

July 11
AM - 15 min. of Sonnon's FlowFit.

Evening class. This is my return to boxing. 1,2 from the Crook, throwing relaxed. Then 1,2 then block his hook.
This is totally different from the way Eric taught boxing two years ago...he has progressed so much.

Then BJJ. Pujing/De La Riva Guard. I hate it, but I did it. I think all the buttscoot & guard play is gay. And not in a good way. Have no plans to use any of it in my game.

No spar, I was ready to go home.

July 14 - Evening session that I didn't log right away. I forget.

July 16 Saturday Open Mat - I opened the gym, Josh was waiting. Because there was a tournament on, nobody else showed.
But Eric popped in. So Josh & I got an incredible semi-private lesson in wrestling.

2on1 - followups & counters. How to sag on him to make him carry your weight. How to move him with the 2on1 so he is off-balanced & ready for Takedown.

RELAX

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:18 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

July 18

AM - FlowFit X 16 min.

PM Boxing & NoGi

Boxing - throw 1,2; 1,2 with falling step; 1,2 with falling step & slip to outside.

NoGi - Brabo/Darce from FHL. Most important point: seal his head with your forearm & hip.

July 23 Saturday Open Mat

Standup drills with Josh for maybe 10-15 minutes.

Roll with Will, crushed him. Two Gift Wraps to H&A Triangles, the second one I finished while he was still in his answer-the-phone posture.
Roll with Terry, did well. Tried the Maia "Tripod" against Open Guard. I want to roll with Jacques using the same thing - he'll be a real test. Got a couple Dbl Uhooks passes on Terry, tried to roll & I capitalized into Back Takes. Second time, to an RNC attempt into a Short Choke. (Note - tighten the clasped hands against his neck.)

From Nick, learned a Back Take -> failed RNC -> H&Arm Triangle. Tight. Key is to keep space closed when I go from back to his side and I face down.

PS - this was a terrible week: I was depressed & undisciplined.

W.B. Yeats

Last edited by johno on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

July 25 NoonJitsu - Kids Wrestling Camp was going on...fun to watch really small kids get better coaching than I had in HS.

Short roll with Will - I'm channeling Damian Maia and it's working. Took him down & manhandled*. Got put on my back once, and Deep Half Guarded my way out, going the Single Leg route. Repeated Gift Wraps - > a couple H&Arm Triangles for me. I was working on choke #3, when he rolled to his back and smashed me in the mush with an elbow. I took a quick break, but time was up for him and he left.

*In fairness, Will is downplaying his strength, with a goal of becoming more technical. If he had gone balls to the wall, I would have had to weather the storm, and might have caught him once.

July 26

July 27

July 28 FlowFit & sauna

July 29

July 30 Wrestle with Nick. He got a lot of takedowns. I did pick up a Single Leg a few times, but didn't finish. When we hit the ground, I did OK.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:38 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Aug. 2 Roll with Eric for 1.25 hours. Good stuff.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:26 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Aug. 8 NoonJitsu - roll with Eric for 45 min. I'm getting better blocking with my head and staying online from Top Guard. Lots of Heists to Single Legs from Bottom Half Guard. And a good reversal from Bottom Side control...just like Eric taught me, a couple weeks ago.

August 9
AM - Dog Walk on the M. Trail.

PM - A couple circuits of TBDL -> BP -> G. Squats -> Pullups w/band. This felt really good.

Neck issue -> tension headaches -> Aleve, which I don't like to take. "It's not a tumor!"

August 10 Two sets of my circuit, above.

August 11

Roll with Danny for 10 min. Escape from a 10 Finger Guillotine - he didn't keep my head sealed. Heist to a Single Leg to take the top. To Mount, got bucked off after a Keylock attempt; went to Side Control to finish with Keylock.

Roll with Eric for maybe 20 min. Not much to say, he's a Black Belt and I'm the Grasshopper.

Neck felt OK after the roll. Maybe acupuncture tomorrow.

Side note: Eric says Diaz over McGregor, esp. if it goes beyond the first round.

August 13 No Gi. Open Mat

Roll with Terry. Get caught once in reverse Triangle/Razor Lock. Rolled some more, caught Terry in Gift Wrap -> Head & Arm Choke.

Roll with Cesar. Tough, strong kid. I took him down once or twice, mostly keeping good head posture. But couldn't keep him down. He got top position, took back, and nearly got me. I fought off lots of his attempts, but would have lost on points. Finally, I took a break.

August 14 Did 4 rounds of CircuitFitTm.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:59 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

August 15 NoonJitsu Open Mat

Roll with Chelsea, takedowns from the knees. First time I've rolled with her. When she gets position, she has her way. But she didn't try to muscle things...this was a good contrast to Saturday's roll with Cesar. That said, I need a tough roll at least once per week to stay sharp and to keep my mind able to cope while under greater pressure.

After, talked with Eric about wrestling: 2on1 -> Single Leg with good posture, face into his chest. BOOM. Don't fuck around. If it's not there, nothing lost, back out or go to Takedown B*.
Also, he showed me a better grip for 2on1, more palm contact.

2on1 -> Single Leg -> *Body Lock or Dbl Leg. *Or maybe Knee Tap. (Practice this.)

Setups: cylinder within a cylinder - If I want his leg, pull him away from his leg to make him step that leg, then attack. L, R.

August 17 NoonJitsu - did very low effort - screwed up thumb & neck. Wrestling type stuff.

August 19 CircuitFitTM X 5 rounds of 6's. Nearly did 6 rounds, but decided on caution. Also, went to thumbless grip in BP, in case that's what's causing the flareup in my L thumb.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Last week was in New Orleans - no training, just lots of walking, drinking & eating. What a city!

September 1 NoonJitsu. I rolled several rounds with Cesar. I took him down easily, but it was tough from there. He caught me 2X with Keylock/Americana. I'm going to keep rolling with this kid until I get this aspect of my game figured out.

EDIT - Also, this kid is tough & strong, so I can use him to practice pressure, smothering & grinding. No need to be the polite partner.

Funny side note: Logan was boxing with Matt, sparring light. Logan started taking big swings, so Matt cracked the shit out of him, then threw him down and dealt him a little MMA pain. Eric said, "That's what happens when you turn up the volume." A little later, they were sparring again and Matt caught him flush & dropped him. But no hard feelings, Logan is a gamer.

Another funny side note: before the spar, Matt was challenging Eric on MA philosophy/education. Matt was insisting that he needed a curriculum; Eric kept telling him that fighting is very simple and that Matt needs to absorb the philosophy, and he would progress much faster that way. Sort of a Zen approach.

EDIT - Also briefly drilled the No Gi Ezekiel choke from Ryan Hall's "Arm Triangle" DVD. Very promising. Cesar reported: Plenty of pressure.
It is one answer for when your partner turns away from you when you have him in Head & Arm triangle position. Sort of like an RNC with his arm in.

I ran it by Eric (as I almost always do) and he didn't shoot it down, but said other options were Armbar & Kimura. Or Back Take.

So far, I like the Ezekiel because it puts me in good position for Back Take, if I want it. But I have to test it in sparring. Repeatedly.

Sept. 3 Open Mat

Rolled with Derrick and Wilson. Fun rolls. A lot of scrambles with Derrick, and Wilson is a visitor from a Brother Gym. The guy has great flexibility.
My wind was not good today, I gassed out easily. But no submissions.

Then I coached Cesar on 2on1 -> Snag Single Leg (I'll probably regret doing that.)

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:06 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Bump to stay on page 1.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Since I threw some $ into this den of filth & ignorance, I may as well put it to some use.

I'm slowly working into an Easy Strength type routine. Starting with TBDL's. After that routine is set, I'll add in other moves, like pull-ups, presses, ab work and carries. And maybe KB swings.

Windmills & air squats & crucifixes & cobras, etc. for mobility.

Friday, low bar doubles on the minute X 10 minutes, then added 50 lbs for a couple singles.

Saturday - I let the PNW's best black belt tie me in knots for an hour. The theme of the day was Wristlocks.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Since I threw some $ into this den of filth & ignorance, I may as well put it to some use.
that's the spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday - long brisk walk with the wife.
Tuesday - TBDL 2, 3...2, 3, 5 X 2, with shrugs on top, for a total of 30 reps. KB 1 arm Farmer's Walk between some reps. L shoulder says, "Stop," and I listened. Had planned some singles with add'l 50 lbs. But the DL's are feeling easier. Also, I'm using my wrestling posture as I DL...more upright posture than my usual DL stance.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 21, Wednesday - Nada

June 22, Thursday - Brisk walk M. trail - 47.5 min.

Later, TBDL 3, 3, then add 50 lbs and 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 OTM. Then drop 50 lb, 5: 1. Then 1 Arm F. walk w/ 50 lb.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 am 
Sergeant Commanding

June 24 - Jits roll for 45 min. Finish with a wrist lock.

June 25 - TBDL 5 reps: 3 sets

June 26 - TBDL 5 reps: 4 sets

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am 
Sergeant Commanding

June 28 - Nada

June 29 - Long walk on Milton Trail, very nice, weather was perfect.

TBDL - Did sets of 5 with my working weight, including staggered stance L & R. Then added 50 lbs and did 2; 3; 2 (with about 5 min between sets), leaving plenty in the bank. Felt good.
Also threw in a set of 1Arm F. Walks, which also felt good.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

July 1

Jits - good rolls with Terry and with Mario.
And I did some teaching/drilling with Anthony, working on the Combover from Bottom Mount, the Seatbelt to RNC & Short choke, and the Old School from Bottom Half.

Ribs not 100%, maybe 85%.

July 2 Jits.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:46 am 
Sergeant Commanding

July 1

Jits - good rolls with Terry and with Mario.
And I did some teaching/drilling with Anthony, working on the Combover from Bottom Mount, the Seatbelt to RNC & Short choke, and the Old School from Bottom Half.

Ribs not 100%, maybe 85%.

July 2 Jits.

July 3

TBDL: W/U - 5; 5

Add 50 lb - 2, 3; 2, 2, 2, 2, 2.

July 4 TBDL's - with higher bar: w/u 5, then add 50 lb, 5, 5, 5, 5 (roughly).

Threw in a 1A F Walk also.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

July 10 A buncha TBDL's.

July 11 Superset pullups & dips at the new PLANET FITNESS by Safeway. 40 total reps, with 1 min. rest every 10 reps.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 17 - Open Mat. I planned to roll with Mike S, but Chris showed up first and we rolled for a half hour. Then, on a second round, I noticed blood. Apparently either he or I gouged a 1 1/2" strip of skin off my ring finger and it wouldn't stop bleeding. (I'm a bleeder. My skin is thin & I'm on baby aspirin. God help me if I take any serious trauma. I'd bleed out.) So that was the end of that session.

Lessons: It's good to roll more intensely as my tournament* approaches. Chris has one of the best bottom guards that I've encountered - he made me earn my guard passes. I twice got suckered into a reverse armbar upon passing his guard. My breakdowns worked well, but I couldn't capitalize to take the Hammerlock - I need to pursue a Plan B...probably Kimura to Kimura finish or Armbar finish. But the Kimura is a great control hold.
My guillotine worked well - much better from top than from bottom. Caught a wrist lock that I hadn't really been looking for. Opportunist!

*I signed up for the tournament with the idea that it would force me to up my game & practices. But life has thrown some barriers, so I'll use it to just see how full bore rolling goes. This will probably be my last tournament - I need to control the trauma in my life. Rolling at my gym is plenty challenging for me.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:27 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 20 - TBDL's and Pullups

May 21 - Nice dog walk.

Then, move a bunch of furniture for six hours. It particularly hit me in the mid-low back, under the ribs. I passed on grappling tonight.

May 22 - Grappling Dummy drills. Focus on 2on1 to Kimura, play with Kimura to Armbar or Kimura to Wristlock.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 am 
Sergeant Commanding

May 22 - A little different from the plan - Circuits: TBDL -> Pullups -> Grappling Dummy drills.

Dummy Drills - 2on1 -> Kimura Control -> Choke OR Kimura finish or Armbar finish.

I'm a bit swamped right now. My wife & I are prepping our house to sell and there's a lot of shit to do.

May 23 - Dog walk

May 25 - Drill with Josh. Kimura entries & finishes, with emphasis on pressure on his near shoulder to maintain top position, and leverage. Also Catch Wrestling "Half Halch" aka Cement Job (or is it Mixer?). Half Halch into Half Nelson choke. Then some light standup sparring - I worked on 2 on 1 and Single Legs.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

May 29 Ring Demon PM class - standup

2on1 - Entries - mash my shoulder into his arm, then spin shoulder (look away), lower level, and take tall Single Leg.

Finishes - 1 - Pinch with legs with his leg in between. Keep shoulder/head pressure and pressure into him, off-balancing.

2 - From #1, uppercut to arm behind his heel
3 - From #2, Treetop Finish

From #3, can cradle, takedown to Kneebar.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

June 2

My NoGi submission-only tournament: I went 0 for 4 matches, getting submitted in each match.

The Good: Although I hadn't competed in many years, I stayed loose and composed. My game progressed in each match and my defense improved each match.
And scored a sweet Knee Tap takedown in my last match. Also, did a good escape from Triangle Choke.

The Bad: I couldn't execute an escape I knew from his Back Take. In my last match, got stuck in a Front Headlock type position. In my first three matches, couldn't pull the trigger on my Single Leg takedown.

The Ugly: Life happened and I couldn't train intensively, as I had planned. (If anything, I trained less than usual.)
Also, age and weight categories got merged, so I was rolling with guys 20-30 years younger & almost 20 lbs heavier.

Side notes - Although I woke up anxious at 4 AM, when I got to the tournament site, I was calm as a clam.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

After Tournament: move boxes & furniture and fight off cold. My voice sounds like the Godfather.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm 
Lifetime IGer

To quote Teddy Roosevelt, "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next