SHOW UP & DO THE WORK

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Re: No Gi, No Belt, No Master

Post by johno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks, Soupy. I will strive to uphold the honor of the exalted title of FGGGS.

Note on last night's session: For the past couple years, I discounted the value of rolling with "white belts." I thought that if I weren't sparring with my equals/betters, that the roll didn't really count.
I'm now of the opinion that grappling with a newby has many benefits, including:
1) opportunities to finish passes & submissions that almost never work with my peers;
2) opportunities to enter & defend bad positions;
3) the chance to "watch" myself roll, to be more analytical; and
4) the fun of sinking multiple submissions in a 5-10 minute bout.

Also, note to self: my passing is my strong point - there's almost no one I can't pass. (Eric doesn't count. And I won't go near Hot Sauce, our resident MMA Heavyweight.) I hit a sweet wrestler's Switch last night against partner #4. (Remember to trap his arm while switching.)
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm

johno wrote:Thanks, Soupy. I will strive to uphold the honor of the exalted title of FGGGS.

Note on last night's session: For the past couple years, I discounted the value of rolling with "white belts." I thought that if I weren't sparring with my equals/betters, that the roll didn't really count.
I'm now of the opinion that grappling with a newby has many benefits, including:
1) opportunities to finish passes & submissions that almost never work with my peers;
2) opportunities to enter & defend bad positions;
3) the chance to "watch" myself roll, to be more analytical; and
4) the fun of sinking multiple submissions in a 5-10 minute bout.

Also, note to self: my passing is my strong point - there's almost no one I can't pass. (Eric doesn't count. And I won't go near Hot Sauce, our resident MMA Heavyweight.) I hit a sweet wrestler's Switch last night against partner #4. (Remember to trap his arm while switching.)
I agree 100%, I also see the value in that it teaches you to be: vigilant in transitions; to practice movement against someone with "primal defenses"; and it gives you the opportunity to really isolate an attack or defense and work the hell out of it.

If you had one piece of advice to give someone on improving their passing (I admit, I am a shitty passer)- what would it be?
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

I won't presume to advise, but your question has gotten me analyzing what I do.

1 - I never jump Guard, so I'm usually attacking from Top. IMO, I'm starting from the superior position.*
2 - I don't so much force space as "listen" for space. Most guys will open their Guard to attack or use an Open Guard, so they're not controlling my hips. If they are controlling my hips, I work to free them. Usually go for a Knee Across pass.
3 - If I Knee Across pass, I dig my near knee into their hip & plant it with MAJOR bodyweight. Then the only thing they can do to replace Guard is to shrimp away. And I follow them, digging & planting my knee, and transition to Side Control.
4 - If there's any space (and I can make some by pulling back), I dive my elbows under his hips for the Stack Pass.

*MarcoFP would approve, I think.

Let me know if any of this resonates.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Soupbone wrote:it gives you the opportunity to really isolate an attack or defense and work the hell out of it.
You've given me something to try: Let the newby get me in Bottom Side Control. That's where I bog down.

W.B. Yeats

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:46 pm

johno wrote:I won't presume to advise, but your question has gotten me analyzing what I do.

1 - I never jump Guard, so I'm usually attacking from Top. IMO, I'm starting from the superior position.*
2 - I don't so much force space as "listen" for space. Most guys will open their Guard to attack or use an Open Guard, so they're not controlling my hips. If they are controlling my hips, I work to free them. Usually go for a Knee Across pass.
3 - If I Knee Across pass, I dig my near knee into their hip & plant it with MAJOR bodyweight. Then the only thing they can do to replace Guard is to shrimp away. And I follow them, digging & planting my knee, and transition to Side Control.
4 - If there's any space (and I can make some by pulling back), I dive my elbows under his hips for the Stack Pass.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:26 pm

johno wrote: 3 - If I Knee Across pass, I dig my near knee into their hip & plant it with MAJOR bodyweight. Then the only thing they can do to replace Guard is to shrimp away.
Clarification: I don't actually dig my knee into their hip, although that might also work. I plant it hard on the mat one micron in front of their hip.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Jan. 24 AM Grappling

We had a small class today. Eric asked me what we should work on and I said Escape from Bottom Side Control.
So we drilled the heist from that position - very rewarding for me. No wonder I was bogging down in that position, I was missing some key performance points, including shucking him up as I pull myself down, hiding my head, and trapping his ankle with my hand. The heist itself is fairly easy.
It never hurts to review stuff you "know."

No spar today, I'm recovering from last night.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 am

Jan. 25 Boxing

Lots of punch, slip, punch. Eric reminded me to keep my shoulder loose when I throw my 2.

No grappling tonight. I hope to be ready for AM grappling tomorrow.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 am

Jan. 26 AM Grappling

Drill Hamstring Reverse.

Roll with Royce. I'm getting more good "White Belt" sparring in. I worked my Bottom Side Control Reverse once or twice. It worked so easily, I almost forgot I did it. That put me in a nice Back Ride position, then RNC.
Otherwise, win with 2-3 Keylocks, 2-3 Head & Arm Triangles (I coached him to protect his arm. I think it's starting to sink in.) Front 10 Finger Guillotine from Front Headlock. And a Triangle Choke!!! I never get those in sparring. But, none of my usual Guillotines.
I put myself in some bad positions to see what he would do, and to see if I could defend. Gave up my back, etc. So I got to practice handfighting also. Fought out of RNC attempts & Front Headlock/Guillotine attacks.

Good, fun roll.

45 min.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:32 am

Jan. 28 Open Mat

A snafu with the key to the gym cut down on my training time.

So: 45 minutes drilling Reverse from Bottom Side Control. No spar.

0 min.

W.B. Yeats

Post by ___________ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 am

johno wrote:I won't presume to advise, but your question has gotten me analyzing what I do.

Anyone who has felt proper grappling knows this is truth.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Feb. 2 Kickboxing

Worked with the kid, as always. (The only reason I spend so much time on kickboxing.)

Jab touches: 1, 9, 1. Moving my head forward for the 1 & back for the 9. Got an Attaboy from Eric; then the Kid immediately surpassed me.
1, 9 and it misses, plant kicking foot & hook kick or back kick.

When it came time to grapple, I got suited up, but just didn't have it in me tonight. The drill was Kneebar, which I'm not interested in, and I didn't want to work through it to get to sparring.
Since I bail like this only once every year or so, it's not really a problem.

W.B. Yeats

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:32 pm

johno wrote:Jan. 26 AM Grappling

Drill Hamstring Reverse.

Roll with Royce. I'm getting more good "White Belt" sparring in. I worked my Bottom Side Control Reverse once or twice. It worked so easily, I almost forgot I did it. That put me in a nice Back Ride position, then RNC.
Otherwise, win with 2-3 Keylocks, 2-3 Head & Arm Triangles (I coached him to protect his arm. I think it's starting to sink in.) Front 10 Finger Guillotine from Front Headlock. And a Triangle Choke!!! I never get those in sparring. But, none of my usual Guillotines.
I put myself in some bad positions to see what he would do, and to see if I could defend. Gave up my back, etc. So I got to practice handfighting also. Fought out of RNC attempts & Front Headlock/Guillotine attacks.

Good, fun roll.

45 min.
Awesome stuff!

Have been working your passing advice and it is freakin' golden!

Keep it up!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Soupbone wrote:Passing people like its my job.
Nice work.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

Feb. 4 Open Mat

Rolled with Jens and got monkey-stomped. He spent 95% of the spar inside my OODA loop, putting me constantly on defense.
Many rounds, ending in Omoplata, Anaconda, Anaconda to Darce, Peruvian Necktie, Armbar, Kneebar, etc.
I defended against the RNC pretty well, fended off a few Armbars, and put him in a Cradle, and in Guillotine trouble. But I didn't close the deal on either one.

The last time I rolled with Jens, I gave him a much tougher time. So I need to up my game, not spending quite so much time playing with White Belts.

30 min. was all I could handle.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:53 am

Feb. 8 PM Grappling

No drill. I rolled 6 or 7 rounds with Jermaine, who has about 35 lbs. on me.

Round 1 - I wanted to start on the knees, but he popped to his feet, so I did too. He has a wrestling background, so he shot for a Double Leg and I Guillotined him.
Round 2 - Start from feet. He shot and I Guillotined him.
Round 3 - Standup. He tripped me and I fell full force into the wall. That gave me a little chiropractic adjustment, and rang my bell.
Round 4 - Standup. He got me down and we wound up in Half Guard. He did a good job of keeping me flat. He finally got an Armbar.
Round 5 - Standup. I Guillotined him
Round 6 - Standup. Off my failed shot, he wound up on top & I was on all fours. I thought I would do an nifty reverse, but it didn't work out. I worked from a crappy to an equal position, then called it.

Lots of handfighting, which was hard work because he is stronger than I am. But I did pretty well at it, using lots of defensive hand position, and breaking off when things weren't in my favor.

There may have been another round where he submitted me. It's a little hazy, maybe because I was mildly concussed from my head hitting the wall. Going home, I left my gym bag at the Academy and I've never done that.

30 min.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 am

Feb. 9 AM Grappling

Lucked out & got a private lesson from Eric. We drilled on what to do from Bottom All Fours - peek out & sit toward his knee. Also, when someone Collar Ties or Prums your head, chin down & roll your head out. It's counterintuitive.

Sparred with Eric for 30-40 minutes. Got the beginnings of a few Sgl Legs...Eric said that was good, but I was using bad head position. Got one Body Lock & almost lifted him off his feet.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:19 am

Feb. 14 AM Grappling

Drill only. Small class of beginners, so Eric had them doing the basic body positions.
I got a private lesson, refining the Guillotine from Front Headlock. If the Guillotine is blocked, go behind & take the back.
Also, from Front Headlock, you can throw them to one side & past you, putting their weight forward onto their hands so they can't block your go behind. Or Guillotine? Hmm.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 am

Mar. 1 AM Grappling

Warmed up & bullshitted too long. Then rolled.

First with Jacques, who is getting ever-slicker at throwing Triangles, but I'm getting pretty slick at avoiding them. After multiple 4 minute rounds the score was 0-0, submission-wise. He did Armdrag me 2X, got my Back a couple times, but I defended pretty well. From a head-to-head, start from the knees spar, I took Side Control numerous times, once from a sort of Double Leg.

Then with Ami, who is a new guy. Submitted him with a Triangle (!), Head & Arm Choke X2, Guillotine Choke X2.
At the start of our fourth round he said, "OK, let's go 100%." I didn't notice much of a difference for either of us.
On our last round he said, "See how fast you can submit me." (They're so cute when they're that age.) It took about 90 seconds.

I'm pretty much injury-free.

40 min.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Mar. 2
2.5 mi. walk/run with the dog. My lower legs are starting to adapt to these jaunts, and I'm running a bit more & walking a bit less.
I'm also adapting to running in Nike Frees, so my stride is different from my old running stride. I'm developing a new groove.

30 & 50 lb KB swings, then a sauna.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:37 am

Mar. 3 Saturday Grappling - Open Mat

When I arrived at the Academy, it was dead. Nick was watching kickboxing on TV, no one else was there. But soon things picked up.

Nick & I sparred for 40 min. or so. He had been waiting for his partner in Gi crime to show up, without luck. So, after about a half hour of no gi sparring, I donned a gi for the last 15 min. of our spar. It was the same, but different.

I'm too tired to go into detail.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:10 am

Mar. 10 Open Mat

Nick kicked my ass for about 30 min.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:41 am

Mar. 15 Open Mat because Eric is in Dubai cornering Mike 300 Hayes in MMA.

Rolled with Nick. I got in one or two good Guard passes - I got more aggressive in dealing with the Open Guard, planting his feet on the mat & locking them up with my legs. However, he reversed me several times, put me in some bad situations & tapped me once. I defended several Armbar attempts & at least one Triangle.

Our roll ended when he pressured my ribs with his hip and something shifted & hurt. Then came a muscle spasm. I'm afraid that I partially dislocated my rib. No more sparring for the night.
Hopefully it's not serious.

Naproxen, vodka, and muscle relaxers.

15 min.

I see more "core" work in my future, after the ribs settle down.
Right now, I can take a deep breath and get something to pop; but no pain with that.

AM report: Something is fucked up. It hurts to bend, twist, or reach.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Mar. 17

2.5 mi. walk. The ribs hurt when I run, so I definitely won't be able to spar this week.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Mar. 22 AM Grappling

Pummeling drills. Pummel to Dbl Underhooks, to Front Headlock & sprawl, to go behind.

One of my partners didn't get the word that I was going easy because of my jacked up ribs, and he Body Locked me. No real harm done, but it's clear I have more healing to do before I can spar again.

Again, when he tried to take me down. I guillotined him, but his shoulder pressure on my ribs was very uncomfortable.

0 min.

W.B. Yeats