Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology...

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

terra

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology...

Post by terra » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 am

...Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

So, after a long period in the gutter battered by some personal hard knocks, limping due to financial setback and floundering though a time of career and life upheaval, I have decided to journal my training.

The past 6+ months have been a directionless wander through a desert of physical training and all round wellness. Many a time I have thought I was gaining traction, only to look down and see my own footprints and realise i've just been walking in circles. At times I even walked to an edge where there was no next step.

This ends here, today.

I have reminded myself that the overriding goal, as ever, is to express my potential.

The initial areas of focus will be discipline and consistency. To habitualise a regime which maintains an initiative and gains momentum in the direction that serves my goal.

The modalties:
1) I have unlimited access to a good gym set-up (power rack / Oly barbells) for some time, whilst a friend is overseas.
2) A BJJ black belt (Gracie) from Brazil has offered one-on-one training because I have been caring for him and his fighters with no charge.

It is 7:39pm Sunday 3rd July 2011 - the last evening of this life.

Day zero.
445gms of roo meat is slow cooking. Once consumed, chores will be completed, a series of light stretches will be performed.
I will meditate with gratitude for the things my future holds. Then I will have an early night in preparation for a new day.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology...

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:46 am

Awesome.

Good luck and Godspeed.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Wow, that is one hell of a training journal introduction, terra. A warm welcome to you and I look forward to following your journal.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Many a time I have thought I was gaining traction, only to look down and see my own footprints and realise i've just been walking in circles.
Just remember, when you see only one set of footprints, that's when Jesus was carrying you.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:40 pm

GoDogGo! wrote:
Many a time I have thought I was gaining traction, only to look down and see my own footprints and realise i've just been walking in circles.
Just remember, when you see only one set of footprints, that's when Jesus was carrying you.
Nah that was when Jesus was like "I can fly bitch!"
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

terra

Post by terra » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:08 am

Day 1

Up early, beautiful blue sky day.
Cold winter air on my face, warm sun on my shoulder.

Light stretch.
Run out to the headland and down along the length of the beach, keep a good pace.

10x Sunsalutes at far end of beach – done mindfully you can really feel these releasing tension and mobilising energy.

Into icy surf for a swim (f f f f farrrrrk).
‘Water sprints’ parallel to beach in waist deep surf. 20 strides forward turn and 20 strides backward. Repeat 5x. Numb, but legs still screaming.
Bodysurf a few waves then sprint out of the water and put my gear back on.

The two surfers braving the conditions in full length wetsuits look at the crazy bloke doing water sprints in speedos and ask each other, “Is that Steve Maxwell?”
“Nah, couldn’t be, that guy doesn’t look homeless”.

Run around the rocks (dose of proprioception). Then jog home past the girls doing Zumba at the headland (dose of booty).

Home for light-ish upper body workout:
Double Kettlebell shoulder press: ramp sets then 2/24KB for 5,5,5,5,5.
Chin-ups: Ramp sets then bodyweight+28kg for 5,5,5,5,5.
1 arm Kettlebell cleans: ramp sets then 28KB change arms a 5 reps for 5/5/5/5, 5/5/5/5.
Abdominal Plank: 45 seconds, 45 second.
Time: 25 minutes.

The wave is not the water. The water merely told us about the wave moving by - Buckminster Fuller (1895-1983).

Tomorrow squats etc…
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Strong offshore seems to have flattened the surf down.

Light stretch.
Run to the headland, down along the length of the beach.
10x Sunsalutes at far end of beach… Facing the sun.
Swim and ‘Water sprints’ parallel to beach in waist deep surf.
20 strides forward turn and 20 strides backward. Repeat 5x.
That wind is making it even colder.
Run back home around the rocks at the headland.

Haven’t squatted for a while so easing back into it.
Superset ladders (ramp sets) then:
Back squats @ 80kg: 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3.
Bodyweight pull-ups: 9,3,6,9,3,6,9,3,6.

Finish off with Shrugs (ramp sets) then: 100kg 5x5.

Time: 38 minutes.

A bit of a hodge-podge session, just feeling it out.
Will revert to something more principled on the next squat day.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:39 am

6/7/11.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu combatives drills and rolling.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 am

7/7/11

Supersetting both movements.
Barbell Deadlift: (60kgx5, 80kgx4, 100kgx3, 110kgx2) then 120kgx1, 125kgx1.
Dumbell Floorpress: (16kgx5, 21kgx6, 26kgx4) then 30kgx10, 30kgx10.

Then EDT training with strict 5 minute round.
Barbell Deadlift: 100kg. 5,5,5,5,5.
Dumbell Fl'press: 28kg. 5,5,5,5,5.

34 minutes total.

Good intro back into deadlifting. Can't make dumbells any heavier than 30kg at the moment.
Aim to slowly increase singles to previous best (don't rush, make it sustainable).
Will also make EDT grow into a 10 minute round.

Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.
- William Arthur Ward
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:13 am

Melhor da sorte em sua jornada de treinamento. Desejo-lhe graça e paz e estamos ansiosos para seguir seu diário com a saúde e jiujitsu.

Soupy
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

terra

Post by terra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the well wishes Soupy...

Getting back into Jiu Jitsu from the basics, and aiming to do it injury free for as long as possible this time.
I really love the 'family' of Gracie JiuJitsu here in Sydney. I love everything about the martial art - except being crap at it.

Am blessed to have assembled 3 great trainers/mentors and a training partner who is my age, my size and also has a few old injuries to nurse.
Training partner is buying a small fold out training mat so we can get together and roll/drill in spare time.

I have sewn up a deal for one-on-one coaching from a solid purple belt who lives and breathes Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
Then there is a Brazilian blackbelt teacher/fighter (Gracie) who offered some one-on-one every fortnight in exchange for treatment.

Last night I met another Brazilian Black belt and treated him for knee problems pro bono. He wins a lot of comps at Black belt, is entering MMA and is also Gracie.
He is grateful for how I am helping him, in return he has offered to spend time with me working on whatever I want.

Just put an order in for one of those new generation (well, new to me) lightweight Atama Gi's. Not the canvas one but the one like a lightweight mondial. Decided on white.

Kind of in Gracie jiu jitsu beginners heaven. Very very grateful for this turn of events. A change for the better - a win.

Goal is to go through the Gracie combative syllabus, learn it really well, at depth, so I 'could' get the blue belt.
By then I can officially sign up for a Gracie school with enough skill level to get a lot out of the classes and also (hopefully) not get hurt in a way that stops me from treating.
Then earn my blue belt properly in a class environment.
...Keep training and live happily ever after.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 am

Had a big weekend at Chiro seminar. A bit tired and we did a lot of work around my clavicals at the smeinar.
Plus I didn't train at my usual place, but still wanted to put in a quick but solid push/pull session.

Today:
Double DB Shoulder press: (16kgx5, 21kgx3) @ 23kgx5,5,5,5,5.
Weighted Chins: (BWx5, +10kgx4, +20kgx3) @ +30kgx5,5,5,5,5.
Time: 19 minutes.
(Dumbells only 23kg as it's a different groove to the 24kg Kettlebells I normally use, and I didn't want to tweak anything this early in the cycle. Still a good weight for me at this time).

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”
- Maria Robinson
Ralph Waldo Emerson

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Terra, do you live on the beach? Good start with your training.

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Yes Dik, I live on one of the Sydney beaches.

12/7/11.

BackSquat: (60kgx5, 70kgx4, 80kgx3, 90kgx2) 95kgx1, 100kgx1. Then 5 mins EDT superset @ 80kg: 5,5,5,5,5.
Weighted Pull-up: (BWx5, +5kgx5, +10kgx5, +15kgx5) +20kgx5. Then 5 minute EDT superset @ BW: 6,6,6,6,6.
Barbell Shrugs @ 90kg: 8,8,8.
34mins total time.

A bit rushed for time.
Really want to get shrugs up a lot more. Probably do triples then back down for some longer sets (these are support for deadlifts - lockout/grip).
Had just chinned heavy the day before so the pullups were meant to be more of a volume thing - hmmmm...
Either way, it's a foundation to build from.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him".
- David Brinkley
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 am

Wed 13/7/11.
Training partner absent - so just did some Jiu Jitsu triangle drills.
Hope to make up for the lost time on Saturday afternoon.

--------------------------

Thur 14/07/11.
Barbell Deadlift: (70kgx5, 90kgx4, 110kgx3, 120kgx2) then 125kgx1, 127.5kgx1.
Dumbell Floorpress: (16kgx6, 21kgx5, 26kgx4) then 30kgx10, 30kgx10. Will have to do something about getting heavier dumbells!

Then EDT training with a strict 6 minute 20 second round.
Barbell Deadlift: 100kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5.
Dumbell Fl'press: 28kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5.

39 minutes total.

Building the EDT round toward 10 minutes, adding another set of 5 reps to each exercise every week.
Aiming for a total of 45 reps of each exercise in 10 minutes.
I suppose a good goal for now is to hit a 140kg 1RM and hit the full 10 minutes EDT with 100kg - will see how this goes in next 4-5 weeks.
Keep the goal in the back of my mind and focus on the doing.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end".
- Ursula K. LeGuin
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:37 am

Monday 18/07/11.
No time for swim this morning.
Short on time 'cos I had to be in to clinic early for a patient appointment (....then the patient didn't turn up - nice, thanks).

Double Kettlebell shoulder press: ramp sets then 2/24KB for 5,5,5,5,5.
Chin-ups: Ramp sets then bodyweight+28kg for 5,5,5,5,5. (last set seemed strangely tough - might have been due to very late night).
1 arm Kettlebell cleans: ramp sets then 28KB change arms @ 5 reps for 5/5/5/5, 5/5/5/5.

20 minutes total!

Might aim to do this session on a Sunday, when possible, instead of a Monday and therefore not have to rush it.
Didn't eat well this last weekend (didn't eat enough). Clinic times/social engagements etc had me missing meals and feeling very hungry - not good enough!
Will endeavour to keep the fuel tank full, and habituate earlier bed times. This week is hard as i'm doing mostly 13 hour days.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
- John Wooden
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Another speed workout... Had a 1Hour 15min break between patients in the middle of day.
Rode over to mates gym for this...

Tue 19/07/11.
Barbell Backsquat: (70kgx5, 80kgx4, 90kgx3, 100kgx1) then 102.5kgx1. Squat is between high bar and lowbar, down to honest parallel.
Weighted Pullup: (BWx5, +5kgx4, +10kgx3 +15kgx2) then +20kgx1. This is actually too easy but I did chins yesterday so just cruising and using pullups for volume. Might add more weight when I do the the chins on Sunday instead of Monday.

Then EDT training with a strict 6 minute 20 second round.
Bbell Squat @80kg: 5,5,5,5,5,5. Done as noted above.
Bodyweight pullup: 6,6,6,6,6,6. Strict.
Finished with 14 seconds to spare - happy.

Followed by Shrugs @100kg: 8,8,8.

33 minutes total! Still had time for a shower and lunch - just.

Building the EDT round toward 10 minutes, adding another set of 5 reps to each exercise every week.
Aiming for a total of 45 reps of each exercise in 10 minutes.
A loose short term goal is to pass a 110kg 1RM, and hit the full 10 minutes EDT with 80kg - will see how this goes as the cycle continues.
This is a "get back into it" cycle with a bit of everything, but with sustainability (to allow momentum) as the key factor.
If I can hold out with this (and the deadlift) progression for another 3-4 weeks, I will be happy.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another".
- Walter Elliott.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 am

Fri 22/07/11.
Barbell Deadlift: (70kgx5, 90kgx4, 110kgx3, 120kgx2) then 125kgx1, 127.5kgx1, 130kgx1.
Dumbell Floorpress: (16kgx6, 21kgx5, 26kgx4) then 30kgx10, 30kgx10. Will have to do something about getting heavier dumbells!

Then EDT training with a strict 7 minute 30 second round.
Barbell Deadlift: 100kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5,5.
Dumbell Fl'press: 28kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5,5.
Finished with 11 seconds to spare - good.

43 minutes total (...cruised the ramp sets to 1RM, as my lumbar was less than 100%).

Easier than I though it would be, but lower back was whispering to me - probably due to a combo of poor sleep, not enough food, sitting on floor using a laptop, teating people all day then not getting adjusted myself. All these things are down to me, I can and will improve them. Still gaining on the loads but probably not making the most of them regarding hypertrophy etc.

Goal: DL 1RM @ 140kg. EDT round of 90 reps in 10 minutes @ 100kg/28kg.

"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of."
- Jim Rohn
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:46 am

Monday 25/07/11.

Double Kettlebell shoulder press: Ramp sets then 2/24KB for 5,5,5,5,5,5.
Chin-ups: Ramp sets then bodyweight +28kg for 5,5,5,5,5,5.
1 arm Kettlebell cleans: Ramp sets then 28KB change arms @ 5 reps for 5/5/5/5, 5/5/5/5.

27 minutes total

Must try to do this session on a Sunday (yesterday I was out all day). Will increase loads now that shoulders seem to have a safe groove.

I could then use Monday morning for yoga etc.
Still not sleeping/eating as well as possible...

Peace of mind is not a goal I need achieve. It’s a place inside I never want to leave. Close my eyes, I still my thoughts and then I say I will choose to live in peace today.
– Robert Alan
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:51 am

Still having to rush these workouts...

Tue 26/07/11.
Barbell Backsquat: (70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx3, 100kgx1) then 105kgx1.
Weighted Pullup: (BWx5, +5kgx4, +10kgx3 +15kgx2) then +20kgx1. Still cruising on this atm.
Then EDT training with a strict 7 minute 30 second round.
Bbell Squat @80kg: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5. Done as noted above.
Bodyweight pullup: 6,6,6,6,6,6,6. Strict.
Finished with 4seconds to spare.

Followed by Shrugs @105kg: 8,8,8.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does."
- William James
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Crashed motorbike on way to work this morning - unexpected impact training... I'm ok. Bike needs some work.

Drilled JiuJitsu, plus light rolling. Feeling a bit sore from the traffic incident.

Won't be deadlifting tomorrow.
Probably OK to do it physically, but will have to spend my time fixing my motorbike so I can get to the clinic.
Bit of a bummer, but it could have been worse.

"The world is getting to be such a dangerous place, a man is lucky to get out of it alive."
- W. C. Fields
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:01 am

Tue 02/08/11.
Back in the game (also almost finished fiking motorbike)

Did this workout at a pokey little gym around the block from where I practice.
Not a bad place but equipment was limited when more than 1 person trains (properly), and you have to squat in one of those '3D' smith machines that also moves laterally. Weight plates were limited, hence the load on shrugs...
Just adapt and lift.

Barbell Backsquat: (70kgx3, 80kgx3, 90kgx3, 100kgx1 105kgx1) then 107.5kgx1.
Weighted Pullup: (BWx5, +5kgx4, +10kgx3 +15kgx2) then +20kgx5.

Then EDT training with a strict 8 minute 45 second round.
Bbell Squat @80kg: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5.
Bodyweight pullup: 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6.
Finished with 5 seconds to spare.

Followed by Shrugs @90kg: 10,10,10.

"Learning is any change in a system that produces a more or less permanent change in its capacity for adapting to its environment."
- Herbert Simon
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Training looks good, terra. I really like what you're doing.

terra

Post by terra » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks Mickey.

Last half of this week was hectic so I did the Thursday workout today (Saturday).

6/7/11.

Barbell Deadlift: (70kgx3, 90kgx3, 110kgx3, 120kgx2, 130kgx1) 135kgx1. (Note: 5kg jump).
Dumbell Floorpress: (16kgx6, 21kgx5, 26kgx4) then 30kgx10, 30kgx10. (Still using toy dumbells).

Then EDT training with a strict 10 minute round.
Barbell Deadlift: 100kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,1.
Dumbell Fl'press: 28kg. 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,6.
Finished at 10 minutes. Solid.
(7176kg in 10 mins).

Note: The above EDT was meant to be 8 rounds in 8 minutes & 45 seconds this session. But I was ahead of the time at the 8th set and feeling strong so ran it out to the full 10 minutes for 9(+) sets. This means I reached (actually exceeded) my deadlift/floorpress EDT goal 1 week early.
Now I need to deadlift 140kg 1RM.

Total time 40 minutes - didn't rush, but didn't slack.

"To be good at something, you have to meet people's expectations; to be great at something, you have to exceed their expectations."
- Anon.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

terra

Post by terra » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Monday 08/08/11.

Double Kettlebell shoulder press: Ramp sets then 2x25.3kg KB for 4,4,4,4,5.
Chin-ups: Ramp sets then bodyweight +28kg KB for 6,6,6,6,6.
1 arm Kettlebell cleans: Ramp sets then 28KB change arms @ 5 reps for 5/5/5/5, 5/5/5/5.

37 minutes total

“If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be."
- John Heywood (English Playwright and Poet, 1497-1580)
Ralph Waldo Emerson