GM's pilates log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

GM's pilates log

Post by Gin Master » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:15 pm

USA Judo is pleased to announce 2012 tournaments:
blah blah blah
USA Judo 2012 Senior Nationals, April 21-22
blah blah blah
I want to win the 100kg masters in this tourney and will train appropriately.

This weekend I played the Dallas Invitational. It's one of a handful of D Level tourneys in the country (you earn points for your country's national rosters in hopes of getting on a world or Olympic team). The winner of each Olympic division also takes home $1000. People came from all over, including 20 from our Olympic training center in CO Springs. Always nice to watch the power and grace of international level judoka.

Despite my lack of recent training and conditioning--and sleeping 1.5 in my truck the night before--I decided to enter the masters division to kick start my quest for a national masters title. I like the big tourneys because they have a legit masters division, national level black belt competitors. I had four in my pool, one I had beaten before and two I had never played. It was modified double elimination. Win your first two, collect the hardware and go home; let the other guys fight for silver.

Not being in shape, I didn't have time to dick around. My first opponent had a lot of experience on me. Fortunately, he had been kind enough to put his matches on youtube, which I watched as soon as brackets came out. My theory about his gripping weakness was correct. I got the grip I wanted and killed his game. We probably clashed five times, and I got the superior grip every time. I threw him for yuko (minor point) with seoi nage, waza-ari (half-point) with yoko otoshi, and yuko with de ashi harai in the first minute. He made no throwing attempts. Unfortunately, he got three stalling penalties, which gave me another half-point for the win. I would have preferred to throw him for the W, but whatever.

The second match was for gold. My opponent had just beaten a dude who placed in last year's world masters. He also looked like a bigger (240 lb.) Ed Zachary, and that was fucking with me. We locked up, and he seemed stronger than I was, which is unusual in judo. A long match wasn't going to work. I pushed him away to re-grip. I grabbed his lapel and dashed left to fake osoto gari. He stiffened up and I got a baseball grip on his left lapel to switch sides for a morote seoi nage. He had bitten hard on the fake, so it was a big throw. I heard the ref call "ippon," and the match was over in less than 10 seconds. Felt good.

I'll spend the rest of the week recovering and doing a little family trip. Look forward to getting after it.
Last edited by Gin Master on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: April 21-22, 2012

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Kudos on your excellent performance. Training is for suckers.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Hell yes! I look forward to reading this. Good luck brother.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:55 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Nice work!
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 am

master kamikaze,

excellent, even though i have no idea what ippon means
Last edited by dead man walking on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:36 am

Age and treachery beats youth and skill. It also beats a weak grip and trying to muscle somebody when you clearly can wear them down by waiting.

Nice job counselor.
Last edited by powerlifter54 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 am

Kiotsuke.

Rei.

Oss!

Nicely done!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 am

=D> Oh yeah.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:02 am

Congrats Ginny that's great! =D> :cheers:
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Sun (post-tourney): Walked a few miles in the woods looking for boar to kill. Nothing.

Mon: Taught kids judo class. Stretched out a bit. Not much else.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Tues: taught the at-risk program I started. Some good athletes, but the kids aren't there yet. Worked ne-waza and throwing combos to get them ready for their first tourney.

Weekend: took family to Great Wolf Lodge. Two days of walking up 3-4 stories worth of stairs in indoor waterpark. I'm claiming that as training, especially since my 4-year old crapped out and wanted to be carried up the steps.

Mon: Broke the ice.
A:
PC 6x2
80, 90, 95, 100, 90, 90, 90
I apparently lost count. PCs will be all about bar speed as opposed to weight. Bar slowed at 100, so I dropped.

Sq 185#x20
This seems gay, but I'd get tired doing 20 air squats right now. This will get nasty very soon.

Pullover 45#x20
I haven't done this crap since HS school, but I felt like I should pay homage to the 20-rep program by doing these. If nothing else, I found some flexibility and joint issues that need shoring up.

Press 2x15
95#x15
95#x10 *cramped tris*
Again, it's light, but the tempo work I've done in the past says this will pay dividends in the gripping game once I've adapted to the strength endurance stuff.

T-bar row
150#x8x3
Supposed to be bent rows. Oh well.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 pm

once you get to around 315x20, start over and do 10 sets of 2 on the minute. Better, IMHO, for fighters.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:06 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:once you get to around 315x20, start over and do 10 sets of 2 on the minute. Better, IMHO, for fighters.
[email protected] SQ is good, better for strikers or clinchers than grapplers IMO. I'm doing it more for the mass gain than anything. I can squat heavy doubles, triples, and fives and still have bird legs. But 20 rep squats and slow mountain biking adds the beef.

The second best fight condition my legs have been in came from:
* power clean, 2 on the minute for 10-15 min.
* 5-8 sets of heavy triples or doubles on squat
* tempo work on squat, 3x10 @ 2020
* conditioning sessions twice weekly with 2x5 min. of 10 sec jump squats/20 sec rest

The absolute best fight shape my legs were in was in the mid-90s. I had trouble keeping my kicks up in the late round of kickboxing matches. Rip had me do a set of 20 for every round I fought with a minute rest period in between (the amount of time between rounds). I got up to 245#x20x3 and damn near hallucinated. I was in great shape for my fight, but I was so burned out I didn't train for months afterward.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:06 pm

powerlifter54 wrote:once you get to around 315x20, start over and do 10 sets of 2 on the minute. Better, IMHO, for fighters.
[email protected] SQ is good. I'm doing it more for the mass gain than anything. I can squat heavy doubles, triples, and fives and still have bird legs. But 20 rep squats and slow mountain biking adds the beef.

The second best fight condition my legs have been in came from:
* power clean, 2 on the minute for 10-15 min.
* 5-8 sets of heavy triples or doubles on squat
* tempo work on squat, 3x10 @ 2020
* conditioning sessions twice weekly with 2x5 min. of 10 sec jump squats/20 sec rest

The absolute best fight shape my legs were in was in the mid-90s. I had trouble keeping my kicks up in the late round of kickboxing matches. Rip had me do a set of 20 for every round I fought with a minute rest period in between (the amount of time between rounds). I got up to 245#x20x3 and damn near hallucinated. I was in great shape for my fight, but I was so burned out I didn't train for months afterward.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:17 pm

Mon: Judo. Taught two hours of kids' classes. Trained for two hours. Half hour of ne-waza. Turnovers, passes, and sweeps were working well. Wasn't finishing worth a damn. Helping a guy with testing, so lots of throws. Very sore today.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Tue: taught judo. Getting that crew ready for their first tourney. Worked turnovers, pins, and throwing combos.

Wed: taught JJ. Small group, all judo players. Sub wrestling to warmup. Worked block+strike combos with movement. Worked into throw. Spent last part of class drilling armbars and armbar setups from the guard since most did shitty in warmups.

Thur funday in weightroom:
1) ladder work

2) med ball work

3) complex A for 3s for warmup
20, 40, 50, 60

4) press, lots of doubles
115#, 135, 155,
165, 175, 175,
175, 185, 185,
195, 205, 215,
225 for single, couldn't get double
Haven't pressed in awhile. Was curious to see where I was.

5) 5 rounds
*10 KBS @ 24kg
*10 pushups
Did these on the minute. No rush.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 am

Got adjusted and spent some time on the tens unit.

Taught two hours of kids' classes then two hours of adult classes (HNIC is out of town). Worked on four seoi nage variations and combos. Went through a few defenses as well.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Sat: Took judo team to Tulsa training tourney. It was a first comp for five of them, and everyone did well. Good group of beginners.

The guy that won my weight class acted like a jackass. It's cool to be happy with a gold medal, but try to be humble about it. It's a training tournament, dude. There are three 100kg dudes here in street clothes coaching or reffing that could walk through you and the others that showed up for it. Hopefully he'll come to Dallas.

The most amusing part of the day was when a competitor was trying to work his opponent's arm free and one of the spectators called for "the douchebag" (one of Eddie Bravo's arm bars).

PS My cross-dressing, tranny-loving power bear friend that lives in Tulsa couldn't meet up with us. Next time.

Mon: Couldn't break away to train at lunch. Played pickup basketball that night. Pulled something where the femur attaches to the hip. Haven't bothered to look it up.

Tues: Taught judo. Very immobile. Got my ass kicked at ne waza.

Drank too much scotch at office Christmas party that night.

Wed: Taught jujistu. Sparred six rounds. Takedowns and kicks were working well. Got careless at the end and got jammed up on a roundhouse. Took counter to the face and thrown into the cheap ass door in the HVAC closet (by the guy I drank too much scotch with the night before). Door is busted. Head, shoulder, and HVAC are fine.

Thur: Got treatment for shoulder and hip. Dicked around with KB. Hopefully the leg will be ready for weights by the weekend.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Gin Master wrote:Sat: Took judo team to Tulsa training tourney. It was a first comp for five of them, and everyone did well. Good group of beginners.

The guy that won my weight class acted like a jackass. It's cool to be happy with a gold medal, but try to be humble about it. It's a training tournament, dude. There are three 100kg dudes here in street clothes coaching or reffing that could walk through you and the others that showed up for it. Hopefully he'll come to Dallas.

The most amusing part of the day was when a competitor was trying to work his opponent's arm free and one of the spectators called for "the douchebag" (one of Eddie Bravo's arm bars).

PS My cross-dressing, tranny-loving power bear friend that lives in Tulsa couldn't meet up with us. Next time. . . .
I hope it wasn't any of the guys from Triton acting like cunts.

Sorry I couldn't make it homie. Next time.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Fri: Dicked around with KBs some more. Probably ready for barbells again next week.

Sat: Taught competitor's class. Small group this time. Lots of positional stuff, tumbling basics, and body weight stuff to start (most there were too week to do sit-thrus (similar to TGU). Also worked same and opposite side step and pulls. More footwork stuff. Also spent time on grip work.

Finished with med ball work and partner pushup/squat stuff. A bit of volume at low intensity is where we need to be right now.

Sat PM: Drank too much Miller High Life at Christmas party. Then a bottle of Jeremiah Weed appeared and things went downhill. Had the shakes until about 3 pm on Sunday.

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:19 am

2 hours teaching, mostly osoto gaeshi.
2 hours training, lots of ne waza and tachi waza randori. Turnovers, passes, and foot sweeps were working well.

Need conditioning. Fuck weights.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:00 am

Gin Master wrote:Sat PM: Drank too much Miller High Life at Christmas party. Then a bottle of Jeremiah Weed appeared and things went downhill. Had the shakes until about 3 pm on Sunday.
:)

Such a familiar ring this has.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Gin Master wrote:Sat PM: Drank too much Miller High Life at Christmas party. Then a bottle of Jeremiah Weed appeared and things went downhill. Had the shakes until about 3 pm on Sunday.

I'm a creature of habit.

Tues: Taught SS class. Started with sit-thru to guard. Then taught double underhook pass to kata or kesa gatame. Then taught uphill turn and bridge and roll. Stood up and worked osoto gaeshi to the ground work. Kids worked hard and some put together the technique flow.

Wed: club Christmas party. Won a couple awards, the more important one being the recognition for starting the judo program for the at-risk kids. The program has grown in numbers and in importance to the kids. A couple have gotten to the point where they have stopped making trouble at school because they don't want it to reflect poorly on the program. Giving them something that they would take pride in was the goal all along.

Thur: F weights/F programming/have fun, cont.

1) one leg DB sn, ~6 triples, ascdending
59#x3
Left side not as stable.

2) Shafley Thrusters, 3 doubles, 3 singles, asc
110kg x 1
Wrists are shitty.

3) one arm DB bench, 5x5, asc
73#x5
Not heavy. Damn asymmetry.

4) chins, 6 doubles, asc
55#x2
Light.

5) 20 kg KB
goblet sq (15, 12, 9) + KBS (30, 24, 18)
Fat and sucky.

6) No gi 30 min
I was leaving and the guys that roll no-gi on Thursdays asked about 1-finishing with an arm bar from mount and 2-finishing with an arm bar from side control. One has trained for a year, the other for two. We are all ~220 and 3/4/5 guys. They use all of their strength and none of their weight while I use all of my weight and none of my strength. Good teaching and learning opportunity.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Gin Master wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:

I'm a creature of habit.

Wed: club Christmas party. Won a couple awards, the more important one being the recognition for starting the judo program for the at-risk kids. The program has grown in numbers and in importance to the kids. A couple have gotten to the point where they have stopped making trouble at school because they don't want it to reflect poorly on the program. Giving them something that they would take pride in was the goal all along.
I knocked out a 1/5 of Jim Beam over the weekend. Not a good thing.

Congrats on the at risk program success.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Gin Master
Sgt. Major

Post by Gin Master » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Edzekiel Zachariah wrote:I knocked out a 1/5 of Jim Beam over the weekend. Not a good thing.

Congrats on the at risk program success.
Thanks. It's nice to see the kids improving.

You had a hell of a good weekend. I didn't comment on your log due since you were sexting me all Saturday evening.