Old & In The Way

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Kip Tozzi
Staff Sergeant

Re: Old & In The Way

Post by Kip Tozzi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 am

Kudo's Bob.
I wrote:At certain times of your life you’ve got to quit being such a slave to your pussiness and step up and see how well you can do under shitty conditions..

clutch

Post by clutch » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks, guys.

Did some pulling this morning, working up to 585 for an easy single.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Fucked around with events today.

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:58 am

Transitioning in some event fuck-ups.

Log press: 1x5x120,120,170,190/9,180/9

Atlas Stone Picks to Lap: 1x8x190,190,230,250,275/9,250/9

Elbows out extensions and suitcase dls to finish my fat white ass.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Another week down the shitter. :toimonster:

Feeling a lot more beat up than I have in some time - amazing how phasing in more events and more training days does that pretty quickly.

An example of being flexible: knew I was going to do an extra day this week, and hit some conditioning oriented events. So, I did Saturday's programmed workout on Friday, cut all the fatigue work, and didn't push things very hard - short and sweet. Saturday, did a nice chilled out hike for about 90 minutes with the family, early in the morning. Took it easy the rest of the day, no work, no training.

Woke up Sunday feeling pretty good; the aches I had were much better.

Turned in a performance on a pretty wicked medley: 50' 550lb yoke walk uphill, 200lb backward sled drag back, then flip the 500lb tire uphill to the finish line.

My time wasn't great. My form was solid, my technique was (overall) good. Some fine points to hone. But, yeah: given what I'm working with, I'm pretty pleased to be able to get under that heavy a yoke and complete the walk with no drops.

Still think I'm about 25% off my best in all aspects of performance. Really, the goal of this macrocycle is to get a much better handle on my baseline fitness, strengths, weaknesses, and then we can work on addressing them.

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Holy fuckballs. Trained in the extreme heat again yesterday. Did a decent job with stones, but moved slow; however, was able to take the 275lb 21" for multiple rides. However, all of this added training has officlally caught up with me, and today I'm exhausted.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice Work
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks BD. Getting a decent baseline established, figuring out what to address in coming months, and just generally trying to have some fun.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Not a great week - except that I hung in there through a lot of added stress from work. I knew I was due for a tough week pretty soon; I've been pushing extra sessions, and those have added up. So, this week was back to 3 programmed sessions, very little fatigue work.

Nothing outstanding to report. Left leg was hurting on Saturday, but still had good control of it; quite a bit of low back pain. Again, fatigue more than anything.

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm

For your viewing enjoyment

clutch

Post by clutch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:20 am

For your viewing enjoyment. Now I'm honing in a bit. Have to cut another 40 seconds from the time on this set, and I'll be pretty competitive for an old fat fart.

clutch

Sunday: OSRM IV

Post by clutch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 am

Woke up decently early (4:30-ish), got the day started with the dogs - I do so enjoy my time with them in the mornings. They always wake up in a great mood, just taking it as normal course of action that it's another day to be awesome. So much to learn from them.

I wasn't too crippled, so I packed up my gear, and a cooler, and headed out to Oil Region's Strongest Man over in Oil City, PA - about 2 hours away via the turnpike and some backroads. Didn't even tell the wife I was going, just let her sleep. I had mentioned that I might compete earlier in the week, but I really wanted to play this close to the vest.

A lot of emotion with this one; as I write this up, 24 hours post-comp, there's still a lot of emotion playing itself out.

OSRM is one of my favorite comps. Well run, outdoors, and just a great group of solid people. I've been there every year; last year as a judge. So, I'm comfortable with the setting, the location - little details that I didn't need to stress over.

The goals were simple. Compete; not score zero on any event; walk out and drive home under my own power. I met those goals, and this will give us some idea of a baseline for me.

The bad news: I tweaked something in the left side. Fairly badly, I think: the pain was intense enough for an hour afterwards that I was nearly puking. Seems to be the hammie, but...not sure, and I think it's neuro-muscular in origin - I don't think it's a simple tissue tear.

Happened on the last event of the day, stones. I was repping a 265 lb stone to 48"; second rep, as I started driving up, something gave, and gave badly.

It makes little sense - there was no warning; I had put the hammy through much more work earlier in the day. It seems tied to that explosive movement.

Anyhow. I weighed in at 275, 25 lbs down from the last time I competed. Weird: everybody told me how much better I would feel if I lost that weight. I don't. I felt better at 300, faster, more adept, stronger, more stable.

Opened with max log press, 200lbs. I made that lift, but was a bit unsteady. I knew the other guys in my class would make it up to the 250 range, which I was not going to do no matter how badly I wanted to, so I scratched my next two attempts in the hope of preventing injury.

Next up was farmer's walk. I actually did pretty well here; it was a bit of a weird event, 235lb/hand 40' straight down, set the implements down, turn around, repick, carry them back. I laced up my boots tight, had no problem with grip, and moved quickly...except on the transition. I deliberately took my time, making myself take a couple breaths to insure nothing hurt, before I picked them back up and finished the run. That cost me significantly in terms of placing, but, placing was not on my goal list.

Tire flip. 650lb tire, very difficult to grip. Did poorly here, but got a few flips, didn't hurt anything.

Frame deadlift. 550lbs, max reps in 60 seconds. I managed 15 reps, which was pretty good. My work capacity is down enough that I didn't get 20, and I had to take two breaks to catch my wind. I did suit up for this, which is a neat story.

The event is outdoors; it was raining hard. The events themselves were under a bridge, on a riverbank, so that you didn't get too wet competing. However, going to the parking lot or the restroom meant getting soaked. My plan had been to change at my truck, being discreet, but that got thrown out. So, living only once, I stripped down in the middle of the crowd, and struggled into my gear. There was one toddler who was quite taken aback by this; his mom was OK with it, thankfully, and we chatted a bit. Finally one of the helpers noticed me struggling to get straps tightened and came over and helped.

The event itself, other than leaving me sucking wind, felt fine. No pain.

Last up was stones, which I've covered.

I posted a quick status update on Facebook yesterday, which read:

Just another Sunday; lost my born-again virgin status at Oil Region's Strongest Man, hosted by Greg Plowman . I met my goals: I competed, I didn't score zero on any event, and I walked out under my own power. Thankfully, I had parked very close to the event venue.

I've written about this before, but want to emphasize it: doing this strongman competition does not make me a warrior. I am not a "killer". I'm a fat, bald, crippled 50 year old man doing something he enjoys, something which brings a smile to his face, and something he can feel good about doing. It really is "just another Sunday." I was back at work today, maybe with a slightly bigger smile, and definitely more tired than normal.

I got to catch up with friends - man, it was great to see everybody. The host of the show, Greg Plowman, had put together a "kitty" for anybody who could load a 430lb stone; if nobody loaded it, the money would be donated to an educational program. So, spur of the moment, I kicked in $50 to the kitty. This is what strongman is all about: it's a great group of people who enjoy picking up heavy shit, and who enjoy giving back to the community.

I'm hoarse and my throat hurts from screaming to encourage all the competitors.

I'm glad to have finally gotten back on the horse after two years off - no doubt. I wish the emotions could stop there, but they don't, of course: I'm disappointed with my performance. It's frustrating to get such a stark gauge of how much I've lost, and how much work I have to put back in just to regain my footing.

I'm probably not going to train all that much this week. The left side has to get resolved. I need more rest. Once I'm recovered, it will be time to get on a new plan, I think.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 am

Nice. Congrats on the test run Bob.

clutch

Post by clutch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks EZ. It needed to happen.

grip junky
Location: Sitting on the can, eating a pork chop, reading the koran.

Post by grip junky » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

I think you did a great job!

shadow33
Staff Sergeant

Post by shadow33 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Inspiring stuff!
Dan Martin wrote:Also, what's the rush? You took your sweet time getting where you're are now. It's going to take as long and probably longer to get where you need to be. Pack a lunch.

clutch

Post by clutch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks GJ and shadow.

clutch

Post by clutch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 am

Well, fuck.

Stress is absolutely through the roof from work. Every time I think the volume is at 10, I find out it goes to 11. Proverbial ears are bleeding.

Insomnia is starting.

Left leg is somewhat wrecked. Huge bruise is developing, indicating a nice hammy tear after all. I reckon what happened is that since I don't have great control over the muscles because of the nerve pinch, the calf locked down, unwilling to move. I then moved with a lot of power through a range of motion in which the calf would normally flex and give a bit. Since the calf didn't do that, extra ROM was demanded from the hamstring, which gave what it could and then tore itself apart to give a wee bit more.

On top of all this, the miserable fucking humidity is hanging on.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Great write up Bob. And do your best to take a few steps back and tone down the stress for at least a few breaths. Wishing you a speedy recovery on the hammie.

clutch

Post by clutch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Dunn.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 am

Pretty. Swelling is much more controlled, bruising is fading. I basically keep it wrapped up tight with Vet Wrap from bottom of calf to crotch.
Attachments
20120811-DSC_8813.jpg
20120811-DSC_8813.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 3361 times

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:47 am

I'm sorry to hear that Bob. Speedy healing to you.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 am

THanks, syaigh.

clutch

Post by clutch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:49 am

My experiment in modern medicine might be working. Basically, vet wrap from ankle to crotch with a decent degree of stretch. Does a couple things: keeps the leg quite warm, encourages drainage, and provides immobilization / support. I got a couple short hikes in this weekend, took technical terrain very slow, but was able to get out. Other than that, I forced myself to sleep a fuckton - we're talking basically get up to hike, eat, poop, and the rest of Saturday and Sunday - sleep.

Anyhow, the bruise which was a single large black area on Wednesday, faded to what I posted on Saturday morning, has faded even further by Sunday evening.

Oh, yeah, light percussive massage work as well.

Starting to think about the next macrocycle. Thinking I can ease into upper work this week, maybe some light core work, and start easy rehab of the hammy / calf, with an eye towards ROM, high reps, yada yada.

clutch

Post by clutch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 am

Bruising is nearly gone, amazingly enough. The compression idea worked out quite well.

Still very sore, and unsure, and if I overextend a bit, I get a nice pain stab. So, I'm proceeding with caution.

Trained Wednesday: nothing exciting, did some incline log and rows, ab work, and then some rehab for the leg.