Old & In The Way

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

clutch

Re: Old & In The Way

Post by clutch » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Stress level from work has been through the roof. Definitely slacked off on training given that, the injury, and me being a pussy.

Did very easy walking every day this week, avoiding any uneven terrain. Got in some percussive massage. Got in two days of direct rehab work for the hammie.

I'm starting to feel more confident about moving around. There's some pain and itching where the ham ties into the lower leg. In fact, so bad that today I have the lower leg wrapped up in compression wrap. But, I'm taking this as a sign of healing.

Nailed two days of upper body training this week.

Got in one longer walk (2 miles) Saturday evening, and maintained a decent pace, and was moving pretty well - gait seemed close to normal, pain was minimal. Hoping to get out again this evening.

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Met with neurosurgeon today. He was quite impressed with my doctoring of the hammie tear, and agreed it was probably a grade 2 tear based on the photos. We're pretty convinced that the underlying cause comes down to the pinched nerve. He said he thinks I'll be back at full training in 4 more weeks. I'm going to meet with an orthopedic back surgeon in a couple weeks to discuss lumbar fusion / bone removal / other cutting options, just to start learning more.

Trained a bit today, did some heavy seated military pressing, heavy CSR, and light 18" pulls along with rehab / prehab stuff.

clutch

Week 11 Summary

Post by clutch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Hit a PR on incline log: 280.

Continued pushing hamstring rehab.

Kept any real lifting reserved for seated position work. Did, however, test doing a light DL movement, and that went well. Just need to keep reps up, weight down, and really listen to the hammy.

Started to add in some direct arm work.

Goal for week 12 will be to add in some light(ish) standing implement work, and start to get an idea of where my healing process is at.

clutch

Week 12 Summary

Post by clutch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:36 am

Not a bad week, all things considered.

Hammie is making solid progress. I'm starting to pick up heavier things in general, and the rehab work which hurt no longer does; I can fatigue the muscle prior to pain.

I added in a lot more work this week, still playing it conservative with weights and motions, but am feeling pretty solid. So, for example, this week I worked on log presses, but did them out of the rack to avoid the clean. I think next week I'll add in some light cleans.

I upped the weight on 18" DL, Monster Strap DL, and actually picked up a trap bar with 405.

The calf is still problematic; bruising, swelling, edema, tenderness, pain, itching, the sensation of things crawling on the inside of the muscle...I'm back to wrapping with vetrap, and hitting the thumper.

clutch

Well, that was stupid

Post by clutch » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:47 am

So, been gradually adding some intensity, both in terms of weight and in terms of movements. Last week was pretty good; this week got started really poorly. A friend was in town, and we wanted to train, so Tuesday evening saw us in the gheyrage. I warmed up the left ham doing banded leg curls, and did a general full body warmup.

We then started off with some log work, and I stopped pressing at 210, but then decided to try cleaning 270 - and actually had a great clean; very solid, smooth, tight, moving the log exactly the right way. Made no attempt to press that weight.

Moved to stones. I felt my way around with the 190, did some laps, that was fine, no indication of any soreness, tightness, or anything in the left hamstring. Moved to 275, and again, lapped a rep; paused, it was fine. So, set it down, stood up, made sure the hamstring wasn't complaining, then started another rep.

Felt a distinct tearing sensation and soreness in the hamstring.

Obviously quit for the night. Wrapped up with vetwrap, ate, went to bed early. Was laying there with feet elevated, and decided I could never sleep that way, so started to move.

The entire adductor group, from groin to knee, went into a series of spasms that felt like it was going to tear itself apart, lasting about 15 minutes, during which time all I could do was focus on not screaming.

Finally settled down. Following day, no bruising. Hamstring region did not hurt at all, but was clearly swollen. Calf was (and remains) very tender, and periodically feels like there's something alive under the skin crawling around. Since there was no bruising, no pain, I wrapped up, and hiked for 6-7 miles. Leg did fine.

48 hours later, no bruising. I hit some percussive massage earlier today, 3 minutes on the hamstring. The calf remains painful and tender at worst, weirdly uncomfortable at best.

My buddy and I talked through what happened, and neither of us felt like I was really taking any huge chances - it's very odd. Our only thought is that if I was 5 weeks out from the injury, I should take 10 weeks (at a minimum), before introducing implement work at any intensity this time around the carousel. But neither of us saw me taking any huge risks.

clutch

Week 13: Summary

Post by clutch » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm lazy, no insights, and just cross-posting this from my blog:

Labor day weekend was hot, humid and really uncomfortable - couldn't get the dogs out hiking, and I didn't really want to move. Monday, my buddy Mike came into town, and we decided to train on Tuesday, doing just a couple movements. I got my hamstring rehab out of the way, and did some other warmup stuff, and then hopped in.

Tuesday

Log Clean &; Press

Warmed up with the bare log (120), and then jumped to 170. That felt so-so; don't know if I was paying too much attention to the hamstring, but just was "off". Did 170 again, felt good, made the jump to 210, good. I was done at this point, just at that point where I know I can easily stabilize that much weight above me.

Mike worked up through 260; went up just fine - very fast, in fact. I was impressed. He decided to try 280, but couldn't clean it. I decided to try cleaninng both 260 and 280, and was able to do so first try, no problems, no hamstring pain.

Stones

I cautiously lapped the 190; that was fine, and I lapped it a couple times, then did one rep over the bar - very easy, controlled, holding way back. We jumped to 275; Mike easily repped that over 51", and I lapped it - first lap was fine, dropped it, paused, made sure nothing was complaining, and picked it up again, and felt a tear with pain in the hamstring, so I was done. Mike jumped to 310, and repped that a few times to 51" with seemingly no effort, and almost no tacky.

I should say that I've never seen anybody nearly as strong as Mike. It's quite impressive to see somebody, first time on stones, rep the 310 fast.

Wrapped up with vetwrap, ate, went to bed early. Was laying there with feet elevated, and decided I could never sleep that way, so started to move.

The entire adductor group, from groin to knee, went into a series of spasms that felt like it was going to tear itself apart, lasting about 15 minutes, during which time all I could do was focus on not screaming. After it calmed down, I tore off the vetrap, and went to sleep, and slept through the night.

Wednesday

Woke up, and there was no bruising, although the hamstring felt like something was "out of place" when I massaged it, and the calf was bringing on plenty of pain and weird sensations. So, wrapped up with vet wrap, put on compression socks, and Mike and I took the pups out for 6+ mile hike. I did OK on level ground (99.9% of the hike), but was a little timid about climbing down a bank to the river.

Still no bruising through Wednesday.

Thursday, Friday

No bruising on Thursday morning, so I started some percussive massage, a few minutes on hammie, a few minutes on calf, one time per day. The calf still complains a lot, and there's still something with the hamstring that feels "bunched up".

Friday I went to see an orthopedic surgeon about the back, just to review where I'm at, if surgery might be some help, outcome, etc. The upshot: they don't feel that surgery can really help. They've never had an experience where doing a surgery to free up space for the nerve has resulted in fixing a strength imbalance; the best that they could offer was that it might stop a loss of strength that is taking place. Additionally, they don't feel that the level of pain I have, nor the level of problems with the low back as seen in imaging, warrant the surgical procedure - they feel if I'm able to get things pulled together to do a 6 mile hike, that if I'm able to be as active as I am, that they can't promise anything better, and might worsen things significantly - as in I might not be able to lift or hike again post-surgery.

So, it was refreshing to talk with a couple doctors who specialize in cutting, and who both think that they can't do much more for me than I'm already doing.

We had the normal "Picking up those weights must be bad for you" conversation, but I explained that was non-negotiable, and that my logs don't reflect any correlation to when the pain flares up terribly with lifting.

I had the one ortho look at my hammie; she felt it wasn't detached, but that it was very tight, contracted, and unable to relax.

So, maybe the nerve is just acting up.

I did learn that I've lost 3" in height. I also learned that if I attempt to really stand up straight, and regain those couple inches, I'm in quite a bit of pain - it tears through the sciatic nerve quite nicely. I'm going to have to remember to discuss with my normal neurosurgeon.

Saturday

As of Saturday morning, there's still no bruising on the hamstring

clutch

Week 14 Summary

Post by clutch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Shitty week. I simply must find a way to deal with this work-related stress, I'm starting to have mild panic-attacks, sleep patterns are getting fucked up, and my attitude sucks.

Hamstring has been funky; started to bleed Wednesday - I guess that's a good sign, shows that the damage I felt was soft-tissue, which will heal up. Why the fuck it took over a week to bleed makes no sense to me. In general, I've tried to take it easy physically, hoping that this recovers.

A few short hikes, moderate pace, have been nice. One took place after dark in a dense fog; despite the high-output headlight (normally good for close to 100 yards), we could only see 10-15 feet in front of us. Walked into a herd of deer bedded down; the fog completely nulled all scents, and vision was so impaired that the dogs didn't know the deer were there, and the deer didn't know we were there. Just kept walking, the deer kept sleeping.

Hit a PR on incline log: 290. Breathing distance of 300. I'll close on that within 4 weeks. I'm hoping that I can transfer this strength to overhead work when I'm healed up.

I think my weight is holding consistent around 265, my waist is about the same anyhow. So, this is what I wanted: I'm able to hold this new lower weight for a year, without really working at it.

Once I'm healed up, I'll have to decide what I want to do with the weight: I competed my best at 300, and really felt good overall at that weight. I did hate the additional belly fat, just from a vanity perspective. I've been tempted to diet down further, maybe I should try that.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Your persistence in the face of stress, pain and injury make me feel like a total wuss in comparison.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

clutch

Post by clutch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:22 pm

^^^Thanks, ABW.

I haven't been slacking. Just took a dose of shut the fuck up. Highly recommended, good medicine.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 am

Where you at big man? I hope all is well and you're just busy with work.

clutch

Post by clutch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks EZ. Too much change, too few brain cells.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Glad you're still around even if you are busy. Stay in touch when you can and stay safe.