Old & In The Way

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

clutch

Video

Post by clutch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:35 pm

^^^Thanks Steve.

I felt badly about missing the prehab session the night before. I feel blessed that I'm still able to bring it, and don't want to miss any opportunity to do so.

Video from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBF6DcHdaY

2 funerals today. At least that means one less day spent in a Catholic church; on the downside, it's one less opportunity for funeral sex. Maybe I'll just start going to random Catholic funeral services...

Shoulder rehab stuff, stretching, more stretching, some ab work, more stretching. Pretty tight. I've been neglecting the percussive massager, again. Don't know why - it's so effective. Need to get back on the straight and narrow with that.

Feeling pretty good, overall.
Last edited by clutch on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clutch

Week 6, Day 3

Post by clutch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 am

Monster to start. Pretty much hopped right in, playing around with the 210 lb stone to get warmed up.

Stones (48"): 1x3x275;1x1x310;1x3x275/9

First set of 275 was too easy - not close to a "9". So, tried 310; I was fine, except for the initial pick. Rather put my low back through a whole bunch of stress, I just dropped back to 275 and banged out another set, which was definitely a 9.

I have a lot of work to do here: speed is just terrible. I think there's something psychological going on here: maybe I'm afraid of further injury. I need to get over this, and start moving like it's important.

Pulldowns: 1x12x185,210/9,185/9

Curls: 1x12x25,75,100/9,90/9

Meh. At least I trained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb8rpqERiAU

clutch

Deload Week: Sessions 1 and 2

Post by clutch » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

^^Thanks Steve

Session 1

Deload week, and much needed - beginning to feel just a little frayed around the edges, largely from all the external stress piling up. More and more convinced, just from a commonsense place, that we only have one mechanism for dealing with stress, regardless of source: training, work, etc - and if we use up that mechanism on work stress, it's not available for dealing with training stress.

Anyhow.

Did some pressing work today, worked up to a single at 210 on the log, failed at 230, and just didn't feel like I had anything left in me to try more. So, I didn't.

Session 2

Felt weak, all over - again. The day started off with a couple hours of snow shovelling, and that probably didn't help.

I wanted to focus on stones a little bit today, and try to address my speed. Did a few reps with 190 and then 220; really tried to keep the ball moving, so to speak. For some reason, 220 felt incredibly heavy.

Hike planned for later. Snow is still coming down. Should be fun.

clutch

Week 8, Day 1: Developmental Block 2

Post by clutch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Not a great day, not a terrible day. I seem to be writing those words more frequently. So, the bad: I was achy, shoulders, back, hammies. Not sure, but I have a hunch the back / hammie issue is tied to the pinched nerve.

Anyhow. Warmed up with some axle cleans and presses, and then hopped in:

Axle C&P (1 clean): 1x4x125,165,185/9,170/9

Played it a little conservative on the RPE's here - might have had a little bit more in me, but the clean at 185 was pretty close to max. Need to work on this, but, I'm ok with not having worked on axle cleans for a long time, and coming back this well. And the cleans, overall, were very nice.

Zercher Rack Pulls: 1x15x135,155/8-ish,155/9-ish

So, second top set was done going an inch deeper. Trying to find out what is going with the stabbing back pain; it was definitely more present on that last set. Yeesh, these light weights are humbling, but...that's where I'm at.

Seated Military (3.0.3.0 tempo): 1x7x95,135/9,130/9

These are tough, but, they felt good today, I like the bar path I'm getting down cold. Really tried to keep a constant bar speed, but...

Yeah, right. I happen to have a new toy in the gheyrage, a tendo unit, and my bar speed was all over the place.

Well - held back a little bit purposefully. Still had some disconcerting aches. Definitely going to spend some time with the percussive massager tonight, try to get a leg up on recovery and this pain.

Note: this is the third block of the macrocycle. Normally, I'd be do a sport form / realization block - getting ready for a comp. Instead, we're switching back to a developmental focus; higher reps, less specialized movements. Just working on rebuilding a base.

clutch

Week 8, Prehab 1

Post by clutch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 pm

The irony: I think I would have performed much better lifting today - I have significantly less pain, and am moving much better. Sharon drilled my upper back with the percussive massager for about 30 minutes last night, and that really helped with everything. Going to repeat that tonight.

Part of the pain yesterday could have been tied to all the snow shovelling on Saturday and Sunday. I may well have not been fully recovered, especially the low back / hips.

Easy session today:

Reverse Hyper 1x30x250

Standing Ab Crunches 1x60xgreen

Band Pull Aparts 1x50xred

Doorway Stretches

RC complex stretches

Shoulder horn - 1x50x5lb

YTWL's

Calf, Hammie stretches

Bodyweight RDL's
Squat Stretches

Planning on a short hike after dinner, get in some conditioning.

clutch

Week 8, Day 2: Developmental

Post by clutch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Not a good day. Was very tight and not moving well all day; a friend of mine noticed that at work at 6AM, and asked me if I was hurting. Tried to stretch periodically through the day, and noticed that the left hip and left adductor were especially bad.

Hit the gheyrage, warmed up with some pulls, and some band pull aparts, then hopped in:

DL: 1x8x135,225,317,407/9-ish

Well, enough pain in the hips / lumbar that I cut this short. Work capacity seemed a little down as well, definitely winded pretty badly.

Rack Press (Chin Height): 1x15x45;1x4x95,115,135,155,165/9-ish,160/9-ish

Complete "unload & reset" at bottom of each rep. Might have been more like an 8.5 on the top sets, pretty tough to call.

Farmer's Picks: scratched

Just too damn sore, especially lift hip / lumbar, extending down into left calf.

Need to read through my log; I'm wondering if I'm just a little wrecked from the Zercher's on Tuesday. I'm potentially seeing a pattern: lots of snow shovelling on Sat/Sun; 2 days later, pretty tight/painful (Tuesday). Wednesday, felt great. Today, 2 days after fighting through highish-rep Zerchers, plenty of tightness/pain.

Played with the tendo unit a bit, just trying to get a feel for it, and watching how bar speed varies through the course of an exercise.

Strange: I'm not too pissed about this bad session, at all - maybe I'm reaching some maturity in my training, or maybe I took a large Fukitol.

clutch

Week 8, Day 3

Post by clutch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Just wiped out today - a couple tough days in terms of rest / sleep and stress. Thursday evening, right at bedtime: my two big girls got into a fight, and I ended up driving Shina to the ER around 10PM, and not getting to bed until 11PM, and then up at 4:30A on Friday. Since this weekend marks our wedding anniversary (18 years), we went out for dinner / drinks Friday. Put down a lot of food, and some wine - even though I was in bed by 9:30-ish, I slept pretty lightly, just too much in the belly. Got up at 8:30 this morning, did a little bit of work, and then basically passed out. Eventually draggged my fat old ass to the gheyrage.

Warmed up with some bodyweight stretching and mobility stuff.

Stone squats: 1x8x210,310/9,295/9
Well, not terrible. 310 was definitely a bitch; 295 wasn't a walk in the park. I used the loadable stone, and used weights from my old X-Vest to bring it up. This worked out well. I'm going to have to break down and get more loading weight. I might just get more of these X-vest weights - they're much easier to deal with than lead shot. By the time I finished off the drop set, the left hip / lumbar region was acting up a bit, but calmed down quickly enough.

Barbell Shrugs: 1x10x135,225,315,405,455/9,430/9
Aside from a nice wet shart on rep 3 of the top set, pretty uneventful.

Hammer Curls: 1x15x55,60/9,55/9
Higher rep stuff is definitely showing up a weakness in the smaller 3 fingers of each hand. I like it; this is typically where grip starts to fail on farmer holds. Hopefully we're encouraging some hypertrophy and setting up a base for some strength gains.

Pretty good session, especially given how tired I was going into it.

Dinner, then out for a 2 mile hike. Kept up a good, fast pace.

Somebody asked me if I wear a HRM while hiking. I have in the past, enough that I have a pretty good idea of where my HR is: I usually shoot for maintaining a 120-130 range. Sometimes, like on this hike, we'll push the pace and I'll be in the 135-140 range. I've found that this level of intensity is good for recovery: I always seem to feel better overall with regular hiking, and I know it helps my recovery from tough training.

clutch

Week 9, Day 1: Developmental

Post by clutch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

In a laconic frame of mind.

Warmed up (band pull aparts, light axle work, dynamic stretching).

Axle C&P(1 C): 1x4x165,185,200/10,185/10

Snatch Grip RDL: 1x8x135,185,225/9,215/9

Military (3.0.3.0 tempo): 1xlotsxbar;1x6x95,135/9-10,125/9-10

clutch

Week 9, Prehab 1

Post by clutch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Some ab work, then focused on a variety of shoulder stuff. Left shoulder was extremely painful last night post-training; woke me up a number of times. So, nice, easy stretching, percussive massage, high rep band work, shoulder horn, that sort of thing.

Devoted some time to trying to work out the left calf: the past few days have seen become more and more unresponsive - difficult to move, hindering walking, extremely tight. Got the percussive massager against the worst areas, and then rocked out a gentle calf stretch emphasizing those areas. Definitely loosened it up; for how long, well, who knows? I suspect this is part of the left nerve coming back online.

Have a 2 mile hike planned for later on this evening - the normal 2, nothing grand, but it will be fine.

clutch

Week 9 Day 2

Post by clutch » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Oh, a really mixed bag. Warmed up moving some equipment around, and light deadlifting. Everything felt pretty good, so I hopped in.

DL: 1x5x225,225,315,405,455/fail,385

OK, so - governed by pain today. 405 was easy from a strength perspective, but I started feeling too much pain in the SI region, especially the left side. I setup with 455, and actually broke it from the floor just fine - very easy - but it didn't feel "right", so I decided to err on the side of safety, caution, and manginitis.

Seated Rack Press (Chin level, complete stop): 1xbunchxbar;1x3x95,115,135,185,200/10,175/9

Still learning here: had I trusted my gut, I never would have tried 200; 185 really felt like I was done. However, the tendo read that my 3 rep at that weight was 2x the speed of reps 1 and 2. So, I figured that I really had 200 in me. I didn't. Reps 1,2 were a struggle, and 3 didn't lock out. So, I took 185 as my top set of a 9RPE, and then did my fatigue work based on that - and 1 set was all I had in me.

Farmer Picks: 1x10x135,225/9,210/9

135 was just great; I really felt like I had the hip hinge down cold, everything else was tight. And...225 was hard, but a solid performance. Good stuff. Then I do believe I popped the left bottom rib out of place on the fatigue set, and I'm having a lot of pain moving, breathing, blinking, etc. I feel like I need to get over to Sam's Club and pick up a 55 Gallon drum of Mangisil...and I'll leave it up to your imagination about application location and methodology, but I think it involves hydraulics.

Well. I think that the left side nerves still aren't carrying their share of the workload, and I'm lacking some key muscle control. Not what I wanted to learn.

clutch

Week 9, Day 3

Post by clutch » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Not great news. Trained in the afternoon, and spent late morning doing chores, while wearing tights, and kept a nice easy sweat rolling. Sharon duct taped my midsection; we might have wrapped too loosely, but wanted to err on that side of the equation. Got my rehband belly belt on as tight as possible, and dug in.

Stones Squats;190x10,190x5,310xwuh-oh

190 felt grand; I was nice and warm to begin with, so no abnormal muscle tightness to get in the way. All reps were extremely snappy, high, and done with authority. Sweat was dripping after the second set, so I decided to move to working weight. I got the stone off the floor - easy - and probably halfway to being lapped, when I felt something move in the left side in a way it's not supposed to move. By things, I'm guessing it's ribs, still - immense pain, no bruising, and I felt a thumping motion.

The pain was not completely mind-bending, so I waited a few minutes, moved back to 190, and tried...a little pain getting it lapped, but nothing terrible. So, it's lapped; I begin to stand up, and it feels like a horse just kicked me in the side. That feeling is a clear signal to stop.

clutch

Week 10, Day 1

Post by clutch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 am

You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometime...

Well, wasn't expecting much today. Lots of reasons for that, including the rib or whatever I did to the left side. The region at the bottom rib or two is very tender and raw; there's a small bruise. Move down to the piriformis, and there's a huge bruise, the size of my hand. I assume that's from blood draining down, that whole gravity thing. Anyhow, put on the Rehband belly band, but wore it high, centered over the problem area. Warmed up with band pull aparts, dislocates, and some light bar complex, and then some light pressing.

Axle C&P: 1x2x125,165,185,205/fail,185/9-ish

Honestly, I was pretty darned cautious, and that probably accounts for missing the clean at 205 - just not sure if/when I would have a problem with the side, felt the slightest of twinges on the pull, really, really slight, but enough to throw a yellow in my mind. Rather than fight it, dropped back to 185, got a nice clean, and a couple good solid reps with no pain, good form, and good speed.

Zercher Rack Pulls: 1x10x135,185,225

Again, the slightest of twinges on the last rep of 225, so I threw a red - over the past couple days, it seems like picks are what really kills me, so...yeah, I'm a pussy. On the bright side, I moved like a well-oiled pussy on the Zerchers, really had form dialed in, no back pain at all, and finally felt something approach solid on these.

Seated Military 3.0.3.0 tempo: 1x15xbar;1x7x95;1x5x135,145/9-ish,137/9.5

A little bit of cheating on the top set, that I almost didn't catch myself doing: I'm unconsciously changing my bar speed, allowing myself to accelerate harder through my weak spots, and then slow down a bit more than I should on the strong areas. Funny how much harder this exercise becomes when you maintain an even tempo.

Not a bad session in my book.

Made it out for a fast paced, 2-1/2 mile hike last night. Did pretty good, but I noticed that when I need to be really strong on my feet, I basically peg-leg the left leg: I swing it from the hip, plant it firmly in place, and lift off from it. I'm also feeling the calf is pretty tight / immobile. This morning, I noticed that I was problems moving the left leg. Not bitching, just trying to keep track of what's going on, so I can report to the neurologist.

clutch

Week 10, Day 2

Post by clutch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Well, after not being able to pick up 165lbs from the floor at all yesterday, I wasn't expecting much; on the other hand, taking a shit hasn't left me in pain for a couple days now, so there's progress. On yet another hand, the left hip / calf weren't very cooperative today; very tight, immobile, and enough pain to be bothersome.

Warmed up by doing some chores, then hitting RDLs out of the rack - giving me the chance to test the waters in terms of depth, as that seems to be the issue. The first set I watched depth carefully, cutting it a little short of what I can do - better safe than sorry. Still felt a few twinges, but nothing that screamed "Stop."

RDL: 3x15x135

Decided to hop in and see what I could do.

DL: 1x15x135;1x10x135;1x3x225;1x3x315/NOGO;1x3x275,275,275,275

315 threw up a huge red flag - way too much pain just trying to break the weight from the floor. Can you tell I'm being cautious? Anyhow, 275 caused some twinges, but nothing terrible. Decided to just play it safe and get in a few sets.

Something is changing / has changed, and I think it will be significant: my form on the conventional pull has never felt this good. Not quite sure if this captures it, but even though I'm working with a narrower stance, I feel like I'm getting between my feet, in a more optimal position to pull. There's a few components at play here that I need to think through, but I do know that pulling has never, ever felt this natural before.

Seated Rack Press, Chin Height, Full stop: 1x20xbar;1x2x95,135,155,185,205/10(PR?),185/9-ish

I think 205 might be a PR, pretty close to it for sure. Kinda bummed that I misjudged RPE, but...

Farmers Picks: 1x8x135,135,135,135

Very easy; even on this "high side" DL, my form feels much, much changed for the better - again, like I'm getting my hips in between my feet better, and the hip-hinging is just plain working. Definitely felt more pulling on the injury here, so, since this is the movement I popped the rib on last week, I was a little pussified, and just drilled some light sets to reinforce good movement patterns, with minimal rest in between.

Well, I ended up doing better than I hoped with this session - always a good thing. Wish I didn't have to hold back so much. Trying to not pay attention to that, and just keep moving.

Lot more bruising showing up on the left side. Starting to look impressive.

clutch

Week 10: Fucking Christ will this meathead never shut up

Post by clutch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:16 am

Quite some time ago I realized that my training days are numbered; five years will go by quickly, ever so quickly. That awareness has played no small role in how I approach training; I think, for the most part, it's been good to have this awareness. However, after a largely wasted couple days in many respects, I suddenly realized this morning, in a quite fundamental way, that all my days are numbered - that once I hit the point where I can't walk, chances are this disease will have advanced in other aspects so that I will be extremely limited in what I can do.

I don't think I've fully admitted this to myself prior to this morning.

Like many middle-aged men, I catch myself wondering where the past five, ten years have gone; how quickly they've slipped through me.

Standing on the deck, rubbing one dog after the other as they circle me, rubbing up against me, pushing in between my legs, muzzling me, wanting nothing more than my attention and affection for the first few minutes of their days. Shina jumps up, gently placing her paws on my chest, gazing at my eyes so with an eerie focus; she is interrupted only by Kira, who knocks her - and nearly me - down, circling in tight for more rubbing.

The realization that, in as little time as that which has flown through me so quickly that I cannot recall the days, I will no longer be able to stand and do this, that I won't be able to make my way up and down the stairs required to get to the kennel and the deck - that realization, that taking to heart of an intellectual awareness - that hit me hard this morning.

Anyhow, tired today, too tired to train. Deload is next week. Thinking I'll try to do a makeup session tomorrow. Left side from the bottom of the ribcage to the waist is one big, deep, ugly bruise. Not a terrible amount of pain when I'm not lifting something, but an extra day of rest won't hurt this region.

Got out for a decent paced ~3 mile hike with the family this morning.

Talked with Sharon about getting away from strongman training. Marathoner that she is, she wants me to do something, and she would like to see me compete - at least we agree on that, I'd like to compete again. I don't think it will be this year, not with this dislocated rib / soft tissue damage. I'm certainly not sure that I want to keep on training, getting injured in my garage, and not competing.

For some odd reason, that almost sounds...stupid?

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Old & In The Way

Post by Bobby » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Moving post Bob.Just keep enjoying life as best as you can.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 am

Your introspection and openness can be commended. This is why I love reading your log and your blog before you started posting here.

Thanks Bob.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:59 am

Extremely moving. Thank you, Bob.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 pm

You are definitely an inspiration, sir.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

clutch

Week 11: Deload

Post by clutch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 pm

^^^Thanks guys. I wasn't expecting any positive comments, but they are quite appreciated. I took some flak elsewhere for posting this, which I was expecting, but such is life.

I seem to have caught Sharon's cold. Or maybe it's Sarah's cold. Or maybe one of the approximately 1,543 people who I rubbed against this past weekend at the Arnold. That was my idea of gross; it shall not be done again. I'm definitely a small-venue, small-crowd type of individual.

Anyhow, bruising is fading from the lower ribcage area; I pulled my shirt up at work to show Sarah, and she didn't flinch too badly, but her eyes got really big and she uttered "Oh my god." So, still impressive, but not quite disgusting. There's just a lot of blood pooled down around my waistline from where it drained down.

Decided with all this to spend this week, and next as needed, figuring out what I can and can't do. Just playing around, in other words.

SSB Squat: worked up to [email protected]
Meh - except that these felt pretty darned solid. Even though I'm still displaying hip issues, I'm really liking the way my hips are moving. I'm also feeling like I'm able to stay a lot tighter through the mid-upper back, and keep stress off the low back. So I guess something is changing.

Farmer's Picks: worked up to [email protected]

Playing this very conservatively - everything felt extremely easy, no pain, felt like I could keep going all day, as it should.

That was it. I'm writing this up about 45 minutes later, and that area at the bottom of the rib cage is itchy on the inside, if that makes any sense, but no pain.

Jonny Canuck
Gunny

Post by Jonny Canuck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:12 am

hey man, thanks for the advice today!

clutch

Post by clutch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 am

^^^Sure, man. Hope that it helped, maybe at least showed you what not to worry about.

clutch

Week 11: Deload 2

Post by clutch » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Reverse Hyper

Leg press
Single Leg
Two leg

Seated Rows

Military press

Didn't use much weight cause I'm a weak ass pussy.

Anyhow, one plan (if I stick to it) is to try to sneak around whatever is currently manifesting. Since we don't know WTF it is, and there's a couple big candidates which I can't do anything about, I'm going to spend next week playing around with movements and seeing what I can / can't do safely, and probably not doing full blown odd object stuff.

Once I have that initial assessment done, Mike and I are basically taking that idea, and extending it to more intense 3 week blocks, built around a bodybuilding style template: higher reps, trying to hit a particular area, lower use of odd objects, lower use of compound movements. Once I complete a 3 week block, assess, and plug in different exercises, and start over.

I have to say that I totally despise this, I hate going into the garage and doing this kind of shit, and I have next to zero motivation to continue down this path. I hate spinning my wheels on training this way, and feeling like I didn't train at all, because this is not what I want to do be doing.

I'm having a really tough time acknowledging and being ok with not competing this year. It's tough to think that my days of competing are looking like they're a thing of the past. Only had a couple years at it, too.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Iditarod?

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Is Bob hairy enough to stand the cold?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

clutch

Post by clutch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm

^^^Yeah, but then I'd have to learn how to shit in a harness while running, and that's way beyond my level of coordination.

Sunday: short hike, rough terrain - nothing but frustration, just can't control the left leg. Looks like another season of no real hiking.

Monday: out for a 2-1/2 mile hike, easy terrain, decent pace. Hips ached by the end, don't know why.

Tuesday: some lessons I just don't want to learn. Today brought one.

Warmed up with some dynamic stretching, which did not go all that well - very tough with the left leg bearing weight on lunges. Then did some abs, then:

Good Mornings - fine, light weight, medium reps, but no caution flags.

Camber Bar Squats - kinda sorta ok, up to a set of 10x245. Then tried to jump to 365, and could immediately feel as soon as I unracked it that things weren't quite right. Dropped to 295, and same thing.

Single-leg leg press - oooh, here's the bad part. I was warmed up, so I tossed on 400lbs - nothing that should be difficult. Started with the left leg. Couldn't even get one rep, felt like I was going to be crushed. Right leg, yeah, 8 reps, easy. Left leg, didn't quite feel like I was going to get crushed, but close. So, dropped 90lbs, and did a couple high rep sets with the left leg.

Tough lesson here, but probably explains a lot. Cause and effect remain intertwined - did I start deadlifting too much too soon, and irritate the nerve? Or was that imbalance present already, and through the weeks of compensating for it, I put too much stress on other structures in the left side?

Anyhow, I think the takeaway - aside from the feeling of being screwed - is that I should keep unilateral leg pressing in place until this is addressed.

Pulldowns - Yeah, fine - kept them high reps, parallel grip bar.

DB Bench - Light weight, high reps, fine.

Wrapped up with a couple high rep sets on the reverse hyper.