Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 pm

As I posted recently on my blog:
...I am trying to combine the progressions from Paul Wade's "Convict Conditioning" with the methodology of the "Moving Forward Method" from "Joe X" and the rep schedules from "7 Weeks To 100 Pushups".

Two weeks in, I think I've got something worth staying with. The BW squats seemed easiest for the 1st circuit, so I kept the difficulty the same, but increased from 6-8-6-6-9 to 7-10-7-7-11 (still pretty darned easy). The incline pullups seemed easiest in the 2nd workout, so I kept the difficulty level the same and increased the reps to 7-10-7-7-11.

Using MFM as my basis for training, I am making time my ally, and taking as long as possible to get to my (open ended) goals of respectable reps in the upper levels of difficulty in the Big 6 of Convict Conditioning.

I have also added the "Strong Man Yoga" from CC2 to the end of each session. Whether 3 "active stretching" poses (the bridge, the twist, and the "L-sit") will truly be enough is open to question, but taking these three as the bare minimum to consistently do day after day...that's a decent rule of thumb. I can always do more, and probably will.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 pm

The Moving Forward Method from the book "Joe X: Rethinking Physical Fitness For Adults" is predicated on a sawtooth progression where you start out your exercise routine with very easy levels of exertion (maybe half of what you think you could comfortably do.)

Then every two weeks, you look at your routine and reps etc for that week, and you add reps or resistance to the exercise that felt the easiest. Since my routine is based on the bodyweight progressions from "Convict Conditioning", that will usually mean adding reps to the exercise that felt easiest at the end of 2 weeks.

Because I seem to do better on volume work when it comes to BW, I will adopt the volume oriented schedules from "7 Weeks to 100 Pushups" at the beginner levels. That may change later, of course. For now, I feel as if I'm getting a decent workout, enough to make me pleasantly tired.

My starting rep scheme for all the exercises is 5 sets: 6-8-6-6-9+. When I decide to add reps, the next jump will be to 7-10-7-7-11+.

I will do the exercises circuit style to make the best use of my time.

The progressions in Convict Conditioningg allow for 10 increasingly difficult variations of "The Big 6" - pushups, pullups, leg raises, bodyweight squats, dynamic bridging, and handstand pushups. This works well for me: I suck at pullups big time, but can do BW squats without too much difficulty, and my ability at pushups in somewhere is the middle. I can adjust the level of difficulty for each exercise so I can do the "7 Weeks" rep scheme easily. For instance, I can do full BW squats at Level 3 for 6-8-6-6-10, and I can do kneeling floor pushups (Level 3) for the same scheme, and I can do Level 2 for pullups (incling pullups), Level 3 for hanging leg raises, and level 1 for dynamic bridging.

CC suggests not starting on handstand pushups until you can do "uneven" pushups (level 5) for decent reps.

The number of sets in "7 Weeks" increases over time until you are doing about 10 sets, with 2-3 high rep work sets.

When the two-three highest rep works sets are equal to the gateway criteria for each progression in Convict Conditioning, I will move up to the next level of difficulty in that exercise and drop the reps back to 6-8-6-6-10 (or lower if neccessary).

In MFM, you are encouraged to "make time your ally" and to "take as long as possible to achieve your goals". I think this approach has that going for it, and is doable and practical for "normal" trainee who needs his workouts to be a recharge, not an ordeal.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Already been at this for three weeks when I decided to open a training log to keep me honest (in a few months I will HAVE to write things down to keep track of reps for exercises anyway, might as well do it here).

So, Sunday at Aspen Athletic Club:

Warmup: various "Hanna Somatics" floor exercises, mostly to get left hip loosened up decently, 15 minutes
Resistance Band warmup for upper body: Shoulder dislocates, behind the neck pull-aparts, rhomboid repositioner, Shoulder "W"s, 2x10 each with the red SPRI bands. (This is the routine that seems to have fixed my chronic neck pain of 30 years.)

BW circuit:
Bent Legged double leg Calf Raises: 6-8-6-6-9 (These are actually from CC II)
Full Range BW Squats : 7-9-7-7-11
Kneeling Floor Pushups : 7-9-7-7-11
Incline Pull Ups (from the Smith Machine bar, notch 6) : 6-8-6-6-9
Hanging Leg Raises from the HLR Chair: 6-8-6-6-9
Level I dynamic bridges : 6-8-6-6-9

Cooldown: Level I seated twist 3x10 seconds each side
Level I static bridge 2x20 seconds
Level I static hanging leg raise (from a TRX): 4x10 seconds

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:Already been at this for three weeks when I decided to open a training log to keep me honest (in a few months I will HAVE to write things down to keep track of reps for exercises anyway, might as well do it here).

So, Sunday at Aspen Athletic Club:

Warmup: various "Hanna Somatics" floor exercises, mostly to get left hip loosened up decently, 15 minutes
Resistance Band warmup for upper body: Shoulder dislocates, behind the neck pull-aparts, rhomboid repositioner, Shoulder "W"s, 2x10 each with the red SPRI bands. (This is the routine that seems to have fixed my chronic neck pain of 30 years.)

BW circuit:
Bent Legged double leg Calf Raises: 6-8-6-6-9 (These are actually from CC II)
Full Range BW Squats : 7-9-7-7-11
Kneeling Floor Pushups : 7-9-7-7-11
Incline Pull Ups (from the Smith Machine bar, notch 6) : 6-8-6-6-9
Hanging Leg Raises from the HLR Chair: 6-8-6-6-9

Cooldown: Level I seated twist 3x10 seconds each side
Level I static bridge 2x20 seconds
Level I static hanging leg raise (from a TRX): 4x10 seconds
Hey ABW, very thorough logging. Was curious about rhomboid repositioner if you could explain, shoulder w's too
"When times are good be grateful, when times are tough be graceful."

Xian
Sarge

Post by Xian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Very curious to see how this will pan out for you! Is this stand-alone or do you do something more esoteric (qigong etc.) as well to compliment it? From what I can gather you have a lot of experience in these things (and benefits from them too, I hope).
There is a vast difference between treating effects and adjusting the causes.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Not surprisingly, the Sunday workout left me a little sore and tight, which is embarassing...then again, I did a fairly high number of reps total in the routine.

Monday was a light recovery day. The real focus that night was the killer version of Turkey and Potato Curry (with green beans) I made for dinner. (From Cook's Illustrated "Great Simple Suppers").

Spent 25 minutes or so doing the Jumpstretch lower body stretching routine with the purple resistance band from "resistancebandtraining.com". This included 4 minutes each side with a band-traction assisted version of the classic kneeling psoas stretch, which can be found on the MobilityWOD site.

I will find some links to the two obscure shoulder band exercises to help make it clearer.

I've done a LOT of chi kung in the past, and I think it's helped me about as much as it's going to, if that makes sense. I will probably start up with the "Bliss QiGong" and versions of 5 animal frolics in the spring when I can go outside.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Tuesday the 28th:
Unable to get to the health club and the pull up bars and HLR machine, so I improvised a bit at home:

Bent-legged Two leg calf raises (from floor): 6-8-6-6-9
Full Rang BW Squats : 7-10-7-7-11
Kneeling Pushups from floor : 7-10-7-7-11
Situp/Rollup from Floor into toe grab : 6-8-6-6-9

MobilityWOD basic traction shoulder routine with resistance band attached to door: 5 minutes each side.

Will do the pullup/HLR work on Wednesday.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Intended to go to the club for the "pull/hanging leg raise" portion of the circuit. However, my wife got a new job today (after a search of nearly a year) for $25K a year more than she was making in her "temp full time" job, so we went to Vivace's to celebrate. Back at it tonight to work off the duck tart and petit syrah.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm interested in seeing more here as well.

I'm working on the Big 6 myself, along with DLs/swings and back squats (I can already do pistols).

I'm working on a pretty simple straight set approach, either increasing the highest reps done in less sets, or doing more volume across more sets, depending on the day.

Two things I've added that have made me start at lower levels: fingertip push-ups and Fat Gripz pull-ups. Both of those mods probably moved me down 2 or 3 levels, but I want the hand strength and I'd rather not have to start all over to do it later.

I'm enjoying it and my shoulder issues are bothering me much less doing this stuff (for now).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm

What a duck says wrote:I'm interested in seeing more here as well.

I'm working on the Big 6 myself, along with DLs/swings and back squats (I can already do pistols).

I'm working on a pretty simple straight set approach, either increasing the highest reps done in less sets, or doing more volume across more sets, depending on the day.

Two things I've added that have made me start at lower levels: fingertip push-ups and Fat Gripz pull-ups. Both of those mods probably moved me down 2 or 3 levels, but I want the hand strength and I'd rather not have to start all over to do it later.

I'm enjoying it and my shoulder issues are bothering me much less doing this stuff (for now).

Hey duck, thanks. It might be interesting to compare notes and progress now and then.

I never did well on the straight set approach, probably because of mental pussification. This way I think I can sneak up on failure thresholds.

Also thinking that Clean and Press might be a decent supplement to the Big 5 until the progressions schedule lets me add HSPU.

I am doing (very mild) fingertip pushups against a wall on off days, along with whatever grip work I can sneak in.

Obviously I need to get something like an Iron Gym doorway pullup bar for those weeks when getting out to the gym is inconvenient (or impossible).

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I think I'm like 5 or 6 weeks in. Still making constant progress without trying excessively hard. Here's my setup, I only have time to get to the gym 2 days a week (one day on the weekend I fool around with MovNat stuff at the park with my daughter):

Day 1:

L-sit
Bridge

(these are all done in no-rush circuit fashion for as many rounds as decided for the day)
Back squats
Free handstand practice
Bridge progression
Tuck front lever
Fingertip push-ups progression
Leg raises progression

L-sit
Bridge
--

Day 2:

L-sit
Bridge

(circuits for # rounds)
DLs or KB swings
Tuck planche
Fat Gripz Pull-ups progression
HSPU progression
Squats progression

L-sit
Bridge

--
I like it so far, and I really enjoy doing handstands again, regardless of whatever douche factor has been associated with them from @F. I avoid doing them in coffeehouses and the like. :rolleyes:

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 am

Off topic: I checked out your blog - tonight's dinner will be Crispy Pork with Mixed Peppers. When I saw that recipe, I had to try it!
Thanks in advance.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:14 pm

johno wrote:Off topic: I checked out your blog - tonight's dinner will be Crispy Pork with Mixed Peppers. When I saw that recipe, I had to try it!
Thanks in advance.
You're most welcome.

The Turkish Almond sauce on the side is killer, don't skip that. We were putting it on EVERYthing after a while until we ran out.

Thursday, Feb 29th. Emergency at work meant that we didn't eat until 8:50, so I didn't have time to go to the Health Club again. Obviously I need to buy a door mounted pull up bar for home use next payday, maybe an Iron Gym or the New York Barbell equivalent.

However, I didn't want to lose the continuity so I did another home circuit:

Bent-legged Two legged calf raises (from floor): 6-8-6-6-9
Full Range BW Squats : 7-10-7-7-11
Level II Knee Raises on the floor: 6-8-6-6-9

L Sit (or my feeble attempt at one) 2x20 seconds
Seated Twist (level 1) 2x20 seconds on each side (4 total)
Static Bridge Hold (level 1) 2x30 second.

Starting to feel really easy again, will decide what to amp up on Sunday.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chessman

Post by Chessman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:I've done a LOT of chi kung in the past, and I think it's helped me about as much as it's going to, if that makes sense. I will probably start up with the "Bliss QiGong" and versions of 5 animal frolics in the spring when I can go outside.
Glad to see you logging. Good stuff.

I agree with the above. qigong is meant to have a tonic effect. Once that's achieved then it's just a matter or maintaining it. That's why it's a good idea to have a few different sets in your pocket. You should rotate them just like you would periodize a workout program.

I tired of the CC material but wanted to master the one arm pullup and bridge and I thought that strong man yoga stuff looked solid, but forgot to keep up with it. Thanks for the reminder!

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks, Dave!

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:40 am

Friday, March 2:

Jump Stretch Lower Body band routine with purple band (20 min)
5 minutes each side traction assisted "couch stretch" (kneeling psoas) with purple band attached to doorway
Shoulder dislocates, behind-the-neck-pull-aparts, shoulder "W"s, rhomboid repositioner with black band 2x10 all exercises.

Piriformis is being aggravated a bit by the squats, but I think a rumble roller, the band stretches and regular walking will iron this out.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:47 am

Saturday, March 3

Decided that the floor bridges felt the easiest, so I increased the reps on that exercise to the next level. Also decided to add the kettlebell clean and press to the circuit for the "huff and puff" factor. I will increase the rep schemes the same way.

Level I dynamic bridges : 7-10-7-7-11
Clean and Press with 1 pood kettlebell : 6-8-6-6-9 each side

Level I floor twist, 3x20 seconds each side
Level I static bridge hold, 2x30 seconds
Level I L-Sit from the floor - tried the posture for 2x30 seconds, absolutely pitiful.
Wide Legged forward bend to each side (to keep the aggravated piriformis happy): 2 minutes each side

This has definite promise. I am having to hold myself back from adding reps to several exercises at the same time, because I want to truly give the MFM sawtooth progression time to work. As it is, I am feeling recharged and happy at the end of the session, and still feeling as though I did something (DOMS, slight fatigue, etc) the next day.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi ABW:

Is "Joe X" worth getting ? Besides a yes or no answer, any further elaboration on "Joe X" will be appreciated.

TIA

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Cayenne,

"Joe X" is currently hard to find and even used copies on Amazon cost a lot, so IMO you don't need a copy once you know the principles. The first 200 pages are a fable meant to "sell you" on the principles detailed in the last 40 pages. So unless you just want some inspiration from "the source" direct instead of my paraphases and quotes, I wouldn't spend the money.

I will post some quotes from the book detailing the principles of the "Moving Forward Method" to help detail why I am doing what I am doing, that will probably be enough to help you decide.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Monday, March 5:

Level I dynamic bridges : 7-10-7-7-11

Left SI and pirifomis still barking at me before I started, so I spent a little more time warming up.

Modified the BW squats by running the black (medium) resistance band around my inguinal crease (ie hip fold/ groin) and attaching to the door, so the left glutes had to fire harder against the resistance of the band as I came up. Seemed to make a bit of a difference. Also spent more time addressing the irritated tissue afterwards: King Pigeon pose/stretch, the "couch" stretch from MobilityWOD and a couple others Kstarr returns to over and over. Will also order a rumble roller on payday and going out to find a lacrosse ball so I can address the trigger points directly. The aggravation is not a deal breaker,and I'm confident I can proceed. Or there's always lunges if I can't.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Tuesday: No workout due to social obligations, but I was pleased to note that the left SI area seemed to respond to my attempted "reset" of the trigger points during and after the workout.

That's TWO "fixes" for chronic decades-long nagging pain/injury fixes I can credit to resistance bands after nothing else seemed to work. I gotta say I feel stupid for not trying them earlier.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Wednesday night, March 7

Full Range BW Squats : 7-10-8-8-11
Kneeling Pushups from floor : 7-10-8-8-11
Level I dynamic bridges : 7-10-8-8-11

(Turns out I misremembered the next rep increase from the "7 Weeks" book. Thus the correction above).

Performed the squats with a band looped around my left hip and groin and attached to the door - experimented with various angles each set.

Pigeon Pose
Kneeling psoas/lunge stretch with band traction, 3 minutes each side
Kstarr's "Desk lunge" stretch from MobilityWOD
Kstarr's "Hip repositioner" from MobilityWOD (this resembles the 'eagle pose' from hatha yoga, but done with the "wrapping" leg's knee bearing weight on the floor)

Level 1 Seated Twist (I try to do this one everytime, because Wade says in CC2 that he considers it so important he almost made it part of the Big 6 in CC1)

Psoas and pirifomis are still happy today, so I am feeling good about this. Things are feeling quite easy, but I will hold back until next Saturday to pick my next increase.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Thursday March 8: Off. Dog detonated all over the kitchen while wife and I were at work (she's 14 years old and blind and can't tell time of day etc, so we keep her penned in the kitchen during the day.) (The dog, not the wife.) Lost an hour cleaning up (she craps and then tracks it all over with her anxious pacing and circling), and then it was time to take wife and dog to the local County Hospital for "pet therapy". Came home and made molasses glazed roast pork and sweet potatoes, ate it (yes, it was wonderful), and then it was time for bed. Quality time and bonding with wife over shared communal repast beats working out every time. (Fortunately, she understands and now does some BW stuff herself, so it's not too bad.)

As a young man, I wondered why all the older guys never seemed to have time to work out, even when they didn't have kids. (Children change everything, even I know that.) Now I know. Dammit.

Well, Wednesday felt pretty good, may add/increase reps to one of the exercises tonight instead of waiting until weekend.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:50 am

Friday Mar 9:
Decided to go ahead and increase the reps for the exercise that felt easiest (calf raises). A little ahead of schedule. but considering I've been raring to add on reps for 2-3 exercises for several days now, 1 is a decent compromise. MFM says to hold back, be patient, make time your ally, and to "take as long as possible to reach your goals".

I can do that.

Bent-legged Two legged calf raises (from floor): 7-10-8-8-11
Full Range BW Squats : 7-10-8-8-11 (resistance band on l hip)

Level I Seated Twist from CC 2, 2x20 seconds each side.

At this point, the circuit is definitely feeling like a "recharge" instead of a workout.

Car died in the parking lot of the grocery store tonight while I was shopping for dinner, and AAA told me the battery jump start guy wouldn't be there until 8:30 pm, so I did the circuit right there in the grass beside the car in the parking lot. (I am lucky that the weather cooperated, at least, plus I was wearing jeans and casual wear).

Fortunately a jump to the battery did the trick (the AAA guy said I should get my electrical system checked for a loose ground somewhere, since the battery and the alternator check out OK) and I made it home by 9:15 or so. Made "Sausages and Potatoes in Foil Packets" a la Jacques Pepin in "Fast Food My Way" and we dined fashionably late.

There's still just a hint of aggravation in the left SI and outer left hip, but confidence is high that I will be able resolve the issue.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Saturday, Mar 10

40 minute walk on the Keystone trail

25 minutes, Jumpstretch Lower body band routine and shoulder prehab work with light band.

Sunday, Mar 11

Bent-legged Two legged calf raises (from floor): 7-10-8-8-11
Full Range BW Squats : 7-10-8-8-11
Level II Knee Raises on the floor: 7-10-8-8-11 <==biweekly increase

Level 1 static bridge: 2x20 seconds
Level 1 seated twist: 2x20 seconds each side
Wide legged forward bend on floor
Shin box mobility drill and "tactical frog" 5 minutes

This really was a "recharge". Until I made myself get up and do this circuit around 4:30 pm, I had been feeling crappy, possibly due to the "spring forward" change to daylight saving time, partially because I indulged myself with a couple of fountain Diet Cokes in the morning and there seemd to be a weird "crash" around 1:00 pm. Even a 40 minute nap didn't really help things...but this (and a couple cups of hot tea) did the trick. Easy enough so I didn't dread getting started...demanding enough that I warmed up and broke through the staleness and sleepiness.

I feel ready to tackle the week.