Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Saturday October 7:

70 minute walk in the neighborhood, including a swing along the Field Club Trail. Would have gone farther and done more, but my wife was with me and I didn't want to wear her out. She kept up pretty good, though.

Dinner: Italian Turkey Meatball soup from Pam Anderson's "Perfect Recipe" series. Didn't have any zucchini, so I doubled up on the cauliflower and carrots and it worked fine. Split a nice bottle of Crane Lake Petit Syrah (the world's best $3.99 wine, even better than Two Buck Chuck for the price) and watched the 1995 version of "Richard III" with Ian McKellom and had a very nice evening.

Sunday October 8th:

AM: Steve Maxwell's "Universal Mobility Routine" (the one you can download from his site). This one holds up really well over time, still challenging and interesting. Helped me shake off the megrims nicely.
Evening:

Tibetan Rite "Spins" 2x20
Tibetan Rite II Dynamic camel stretch 2x21
CC Level I Bridges: 2x21.
CC Level II Leg Raises: 2x21
CC Level IV BW Squats: 2x21
CC Level III pushups: 2x21
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC Level I L sits x2

Dinner: Mustard/Honey glazed roast salmon with tater tots baked in the same pan, along with a green salad.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Monday October 8th:

"Earned" a bottle of wine after a day of farting off by walking to a convenience store on the other side of Dodge to get it; in fact, walked past it for 10 minutes before I turned around and picked it up on the way back. So, 80 minute urban walk.

This about equal to the amount of walking I did daily in Lincoln going to and from classes and work before I moved to Omaha and had to get a car. And I'm getting some of that "tireless" stride back, although the last 10 minutes or so I'm tired of walking in general and want to be done. I keep reading and hearing that a person ought to aim for 10,000 steps a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA4C9999 ... detailpage

(equivalent at my pace to roughly 90 minutes of steady, purposeful walking), and it's beginning to convince me.

Dinner: Grilled skirt steaks with chimichurri sauce and "cowboy" beans from Dave Lieberman's "Dave's Dinners". Gawd, I love skirt steak - even more than flank steak - for grilling. Slightly more marbling than flank, which makes it melt in your mouth when you cut across the grain and on a bias (need a really good knife to do this), and it finishes in 4 minutes a side. Plus chimichurri sauce is essentially cilantro and parsley and garlic (and sometime mint if its available) so you can argue that pouring it on your steak gives you your vegetables right there. If you're going to grill a steak, you might as well grill two, so I now have leftovers for steak salad and/or steak tacos later in the week.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Tuesday, October 10th:

Afternoon in the work alcove:

General standup mobility stuff.

3x10 FIngertip pushups against a wall
3x16 seconds, bar hang
3x20 CC Level I calf raises (bentlegged two leg raises from the floor.)

Evening:

20-25 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine with extra sets. Finally comfortable with pulling the band behind my neck for the supine stuff, and it makes a difference in intensity.
15 minutes "Miracle Ball" rollout of knots in triceps and elbows and forearms. This almost inevitably puts me in a "yoga" deep place of deep relaxation.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Wednesday October 10:

Morning: 5 x 15 seconds "negatives" pullups from bar. Shocked by how hard it was, dammit. Lots of work needs to be done.

Late evening:

Took an online practice test for Network+ and got my ass kicked. Much harder than the piddly version that came with my 6 week online course. Lots of work still needs to be done. Glad I did a prelim before I spent $250 to take the cert test.

General standup mobility stuff: 10 minutes

CC Level III pushups: 2x21
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC Level I L sits x2

Dinner: leftover steak strips reheated in iron skillet with oil and chili powder, also sauteed some red bell peppers and red onions and zucchini in a 2nd skillet, and had carne asada steak fajitas. Damn, skirt steak is good when you do it right!

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:34 am

Thursday October 11th:

Total collapse. Serious neck ache/head ache of a sort I haven't had for weeks. Entire upper body is sore. I hate to think that FIVE FUCKING NEGATIVES of pullups did this to me, but that seems to be the case. Moral of the story: WORK THOSE FUCKING PULLUPS HARDER!

Tonight's movie: Hercules Against The Moon Men. Actually kind of fun in a cheesy Italian way, and the MST3K commentary is priceless. "The American Pants Council recommends you wear pants three times a day!"

Dinner: from "Dinner Survival" by Sandi Richards, Apple Cinnamon pork chops with rice/wild rice/craisin stuffing (actually dressing, since the pork chops went on top of the bread mixture). I think the author may have let a couple mistakes get into the book version of her recipe, since the rice was pretty um, crunchy when cooking for the recommended amount of time and the apple slices on top of the pork chops got pretty black (nothing about covering the dish in the oven), but it was still delicious.

Friday October 12th

Morning in the alcove:
General standup mobility: neck, hip, and knee circles, Tai Chi Waist twisters, cherry pickers, wood choppers, arm pumps, etc.

3x10 Fingertip pushups against wall
3x17 seconds bar hang
3x22 Two Legged Bent Legged Calf Raises.

Night:

15 minutes upper body band routine for shoulder health
20+ minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 am

Lost the day to family and friend stuff, notably helping my best friend close his backyard pool for the winter. Not that the work was so hard, but our mutual friend who actually had the knowledge and the pump was two and a half hours late and we had to go to the hardware store twice for more soda ash and antifreeze and then return the pump and, well, you know how it goes with house stuff. Hey, I got to frolic in the pool several times this summer, so good karma demands that I help with this kind of thing.

I'd finished off the skirt steak with breakfast steak tacos, so I wanted something a bit lighter. So dinner was "Ramen Noodles as Pad Thai" from Knack Books "The College Cookbook". Relatively inexpensive, lots of crisp fresh veggies and a killer broth fortified with fish sauce and hoisin sauce.

Managed to finally get some time late Saturday night, by which point it was dark and raining; did a modified version of Steve Cotters' "9 Little Heaven" chi gung form in the music room for a dozen repetitions with some "embrace" meditation between each round. (The form ends with a one legged balancing pose Left and Right, so I took it further in that direction and added one legged toe touches, windmills and tree pose L&R). Took about 35-40 minutes and loosened me up nicely. Will try to get some walking and calisthentics in tomorrow.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 am

Sunday October : The pool wasn't done with us yet, and required two more trips to hardware stores (for sandbags) and auto parts stores (for more antifreeze), so we weren't done until 4:00 pm. That's the homeowner's life as I understand it; an endless series of home improvement/maintenance projects on the weekends, buttressed by 6 trips in 2 days to the local Home Demon. I managed to escape this for the most part - it seemed like hell on earth contemplating this in my 30s and 40s - but it's different when you're helping a friend - you feel all noble and shit. And he owes you.

Finally had the rest of the day to myself, hit the grocery store for dinner and did my 5 Tibetan inspired circuit while steaks where marinating in soy sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic and red pepper flakes:

Tactical Frog mobility series to enhance\improve the squat (as demoed by Maxwell and the "Flexible Steel" RKC guy)
CC Level III pushups: 2x22 <== this week's increase
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC Level I L sits x2

Went back upstairs and cooked some fresh linguini and tossed with soy sauce and sesame oil. Meanwhile, stir fried the sirloin strips with minced ginger, minced garlic, red pepper flakes (cough,cough!) and then leeks, mushrooms and red bell pepper strips and served it forth with toasted sesame seeds. (From "Poor Girl Gourmet"). Think it might have been even better with some fresh lime juice - try that next time.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Monday, October 15:

Morning in the alcove at work:

3x12 Fingertip pushups against wall
3x17 seconds bar hang
3x22 Two Legged Bent Legged Calf Raises.
Followed by:
3x1 10 second "Negatives" chin ups (lowers?) from the bar afterwards. Could have done lots more, but the last time I over did it and ended up sore for a couple days. So: just everything else, simple, dogged persistence will hopefully carry the day.

Evening:

Night air was simply too wonderful to ignore, so I decided to "earn" a bottle of Crane Lake Petite Syrah by walking out to the convenience store 30 minutes away by foot to get it. Ended up making a 90 minute walk out of it, and I'll open the bottle tomorrow night, cause it's too late to drink it now.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 pm

How you finding the convict conditioning? I use the stretches he mentions in book 2, the bridge, L-sit and twist and the do seem to help with my lower back pain, are they still helping you? I like the way you put the workouts together, more thoughtful than my efforts !

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 am

Hey, zz...I find I like this approach to doing calisthentics a lot. I took the author's advice and am trying to get everything I can out of a given variation of an exercise before progressing to the next harder progression. That means...well, it means plenty of fairly easy workouts, so it works as much as a "recharge" as anything.

IMO, the CC program (or at least my approach to it) has done/is doing me more good than RKC and kettlebells ever did. I'll probably sneak some clubbell swinging and some Dan John style "warmup is the workout" stuff in during the winter months when it's harder to go outside to walk.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:
IMO, the CC program (or at least my approach to it) has done/is doing me more good than RKC and kettlebells ever did. I'll probably sneak some clubbell swinging and some Dan John style "warmup is the workout" stuff in during the winter months when it's harder to go outside to walk.

sorry to labour the point, but could you expand on this a little? RE the comparison with the RKC stuff?
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 pm

No problem.

1)Rather than "blowtorch my bodyfat", kettlebell workouts seem to stimulate my appetite and make me overeat.With calisthentics, it seems rather the reverse.
2) I almost always feel beat up and drained after a serious kettlebell workout, whereas with calisthentics, I feel "pulled together" and more integrated.
3) Kettlebell workouts are oriented to "puttings things out there" (mostly open chain) and calisthentics are "moving yourself out there", which seems to be what I need.

So I've been feeling better and looking better since I started emphasizing CC and bodyweight stuff over kettlebells. Other people's mileage may vary, and what not.

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for your insights ABW, maybe I wasn't patient enough when I did a short stint with big 6. Though I do believe trifecta he presents is very good for me.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

The effects on ABW are profound. Prison has changed everything.
Attachments
Death-Race_7113_2.jpg
Death-Race_7113_2.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Well, at least I've got Statham's hairline.

Seriously, what I like about my current format is that I also incorporate elements of all the important exercises TF advocates in his "10 Anti aging Exercises" E book. The shoulder health stuff with the resistance bands expands on the shoulder dislocates, the "pump" from the 5 Tibetans has a back/thoracic extension in it. And now I'm doing bar hangs and finally some sustained pulling work. Etc.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 am

thanks for taking the time to reply. I know some are cynical about the benefits of bwe, but after returning to them over the summer I do think there are some unique benefits to them - particularly for an anti-aging type exercise. Apart from anything else, it's fixed weight so you have less scope for ego driven injuries, and it trains stuff like balance and body awareness in a way that barbells etc don't. I may look into Wade's stuff. Thanks again.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 am

odin wrote:thanks for taking the time to reply. I know some are cynical about the benefits of bwe, but after returning to them over the summer I do think there are some unique benefits to them - particularly for an anti-aging type exercise. Apart from anything else, it's fixed weight so you have less scope for ego driven injuries, and it trains stuff like balance and body awareness in a way that barbells etc don't. I may look into Wade's stuff. Thanks again.
You have nailed it , my friend. IMO, "Wade's" progressions and exercise choices are topnotch (except for pullups, more on that later), but his workout schedule doesn't work for me - this format works much better.

Thursday October 18th:

Morning in the alcove at work: 20 minutes of stand up mobility stuff (the floor is way too dusty to lie or sit on it). After two days of forced inactivity, I needed it - could actually feel the creaking and popping as I loosened up.

Early evening while butternut squash/apple/onion/sausage packets were cooking in the oven: Shoulder health resistance band exercises, 2x10 of everthing, about 15-20 minutes. Also CC Level III pushups, 2x22.

After dinner: Way too raw and blustery to go for a walk. Haven't adjusted to the Nebraska winter preview yet. In a month, this weather will seem positively balmy,

Instead, did extended "9 Little Heaven" chi gung form with extra one legged balance stuff tacked on to the end, 8 reps in about 25 minutes. Then my wife demanded I stop what I was doing and come and taste the ganache she had just made.

Life is good.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 am

As the fall/winter season rears its ugly head, I'm thinking of adding some sandbag type conditioning that I can do 2-3 times a week in the basement - with the proviso that it's unfinished and has a low ceiling that inhibits overhead work.

What comes to mind is a sandbag "getup" as demonstrated here by Jim Smith of Diesel Crew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... AVRcO9NajU

in the 50/20 format proposed by Bryce Lane a decade ago:

http://www.ironsports.tv/it_all.htm

This would also be a good example of P.A.C.E. (Progressively Accelerating Cardio Exertion), which I've come to prefer over straight aerobic exercise when I do that sort of thing. (Walking doesn't count - walking is its own thing).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Friday, October 18th:

AM in the work alcove:

3x12 Fingertip pushups against wall
3x18 seconds bar hang
3x23 Two Legged Bent Legged Calf Raises.

Evening: 40 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine, extra sets for both sides.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Saturday October 19:

"Earned" a bottle of Menage-A-Trois table wine by including the convenience store that sold it on a 90 minute circuit. Wife went with me, so it was a nice chance to bond and get some fresh air.

Sunday October 20th:

Brother in law had a TIA or something similar, so I will sneak in what I can before going to bed. Making White Bean Tuscan Soup (from "The Deen Brothers Cookbook") and baking some drumsticks tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and a bit of oregano on a foil lined sheet in the oven at 450 F for 30 minutes - will take that over to my sister's place tonight so she can have some quick, easy home made comfort food.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:32 am

Monday October 22nd:

On call this week. Shit. Bad timing, with brother in law in ICU and sister being worn to a frazzle by stress. I'll do what I can for now, namely cook. Did the sausage/tomato risotto from "The Cheating Chef's Secret Cookbook", which makes enough risotto for an army, and I'll send half of it out to her house via my lovely wife. Had some of the rest for dinner, along with a green salad. GodDAMN it's good stuff.

Walking outside isn't practical: I have to answer the on call phone when it goes off and write stuff down and respond within 15 minutes. So I'll concentrate on inside work for now and just try to maintain.

Modifying the circuit. I fucking hate the spins, and I think the so-called "vortex" effect the originators seem to think it promotes is really nothing more than movement of lymph and ICF by twisting of the neck and vertebrae and core. No reason just to do it in one direction: so I'll do some versions of the Tai Chi Waist Twists instead.

Spinal Rolls a la Maxwell and Sonnon's "Be Breathed": 2x21
Tai Chi Waist twists: 2x21
Windshield Wipers, Nutcrackers and Tactical Frog mobility series to enhance\improve the squat (as demoed by Maxwell and the "Flexible Steel" RKC guy) as a prep for
CC Level III BW squats: 2x21. This seems to work. Normally I take a second to "pry" the knees apart when I'm all the way down, but things are much less bunched up.
CC Level III pushups: 2x22

CC II Seated Twistx2
CC Level I L sits x2

Better. Feel nice and loosened up and better able to handle the week ahead.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:20 am

Tueday October 23:

2nd night of on call rotation. Shit.

Kept it simple: 35 minutes of modified 9 Little Heaven Chi Kung form, with additional 1 legged balance postures and warrior/windmill to each side. Plus staying in deep low stance for 5 breaths in move 3.

Made a simple chicken and pasta thing from Men's Health: Chicken tenders seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and italian herbs, browned in a Dutch oven, simmered in a store bought chunky pasta sauce, tossed with rigatoni/zucchini and parmesan shreds added to each individual serving. Not bad.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:12 am

Wednesday, October 24th:
Total loss. Lots of interruptions, not a lot of sleep, tired and pissed off and discouraged and irritable. Everyone has days like this, so BFD. Went to bed, will try something tomorrow.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 am

Thursday, October 25th:

Better. More progress at work and some Network+ stuff seems to be sticking. Managed to make "Skillet Pastitsio" from Cook's Illustrated "Great Simple Suppers". I had some "official" pastitsio from a local Greek place a couple weeks back, complete with whipped potatoes on top and a bechamel sauce, must have been a pain in the ass to make for the chef there, and my skillet version is waaay better. To me at least.

Bought Steve Maxwell's "Greek Travelogue" for inspiration for $4.99. Always a pleasure to watch that guy do his thing, and I always get some ideas for exercise variations, even if I can't directly do his one arm stuff.

Finished off with 30 minutes of Jumpstretch lower band routine, and a few minutes of shoulder health stuff for the upper body. I'll be "batching" it tomorrow night, will probably be able to get back into the circuits, since Friday nights are usually pretty quiet - stuff doesn't break until Saturday morning.

Update: It occurs to me that I might have a bit of imbalance going on with too much flexion and not quite enough extension. Not a big imbalance, but maybe some: pushups, spinal rolls, L sits, 4 supine Jumpstretch positions vs 1 prone one....Looking at the "Foundation" stuff (see product reviews) to integrate into what I do.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 am

Friday October 26th:

Up at 2:00 am last night dealing with idiot Corrections users. Feel OK though. Phone has been quiet so far. Wife and sister are watching "Celtic Thunder" perform in Lincoln. Feeling irritable and beseiged, so I watched one of the last "Hellraiser" films ("Deader") to get in the mood and get some perspective. Then:

General standing mobility warmup, 10 minutes.

Tai Chi Waist twists: 2x21
CC Level III pushups: 2x22
Windshield Wipers, Nutcrackers and Tactical Frog mobility series to enhance\improve the squat (as demoed by Maxwell and the "Flexible Steel" RKC guy) as a prep for
CC Level III BW squats: 2x21.
Tibetan "Pumps", 2x12
Spinal Rolls a la Maxwell and Sonnon's "Be Breathed": 2x21 - interesting to note the "bellows" and "be breathed" effect made me fart like a race horse twice. It wasn't pleasant rolling back up into the Death Cloud I had just emitted.
CC II Seated Twistx2

Just for variety, did some of the CC pushups with slight variations in the last half of each set: uneven hands, and one hand farther out from the center of the body, alternating every 2 reps.

Better. Next month, add a 3rd circuit and keep adding variety pushups, squats and hip work to keep boredom at bay.