Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:55 am

Saturday October 28th:

40 minutes of modified 9 Little Heaven Chi Gung form.

This form continues to be (for me) about the Zen Of Neck Strain. Not that the moves themselves put any load directly on the neck and shoulders; rather, I find myself constantly falling out of and returning to the optimal alignment and posture for doing the moves; my traps and shoulders keep hunching up and my head keeps thrusting forward. I'll be fine for 10 seconds and then find myself wobbling in the middle of a twist or a balance and realize that I've hunched and thrust my head again. Sometimes I'll find myself correcting it 3 times in the 10-12 seconds it takes to move into the extension, and twice more as I pull my limbs back to center. Losing the alignment is seemingly the exact same thing as losing the mindfulness and focus real mastery of mind-body exercise requires.

I think that Alexander (of the famous Alexander Technique) was essentially right. Maybe he didn't have the complete picture, but without that essential chest/shoulder/neck/head setup, nothing else is going to be enough to make for 100 % mind-body-relaxed flow we all aim for in this kind of thing.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Sunday October 28th:
Last day of on call, thank heavens. Phone was quiet after 8:00 pm or so, and I actually slept through the night.
10 minutes of joint circles and general standup mobility.

Shoulder dislocates (or rollovers) with a 30# lb band, 2x15
Tai Chi Waist twists: 2x22
Tibetan Rite II Dynamic camel stretch 2x21
CC Level I Bridges: 2x22.
CC Level II Leg Raises: 2x22
CC Level III pushups: 2x22 - alternated normal, staggered hands and one hand away from center of body.
Windshield Wipers, Nutcrackers and Tactical Frog mobility series to enhance\improve the squat (as demoed by Maxwell and the "Flexible Steel" RKC guy) as a prep for
CC Level III BW squats: 2x21.
Tibetan Rite "Pumps", 2x12
Spinal Rolls a la Maxwell and Sonnon's : 2x22
CC II Seated Twistx2

Start back walking and pullups and supplemental work in the alcove tomorrow. Gonna make a packet thing tonight with pork chops and sauerkraut and applesauce and caraway seeds and count myself lucky.

Update: decided to go with packets with pork chops and a pumpkin/cream sauce loaded with sage, cinnamon, ground cloves, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It was decent,but not great - used too much canned pumpkin puree, didn't quite cook long enough at 400 F. Next time I will try searing the chops first, and using a bit less pumpkin - the sauce was good, there was just too much of it and the texture on the chops wasn't especially compelling.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Monday the 29th:

Got home from work and slept for 2 hours. Wife made a nice roasted acorn squash thing stuffed with sausage and spinach and topped with Gruyere cheese and we drizzled balsamic vinegar over our individual servings.

Around 9:15, went for a 70 minute walk. Annoyed by how fatigued I was by the end of the walk. Stayed up late studying Network+, but I am finally in the groove here - things are starting to stick, and I found "Professor Messors" complete N+ youtube course. Will get this thing passed by the end of the year or know the reason why.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 am

Tuesday October 30:

Morning: Stand up mobility routine in the work alcove: 20 minutes

Evening: 10 minutes shoulder resistance band routine
30 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine, 2-3 set of 10-12 for everything
2x23 CC Level III pushups, alternating uneven hands with even hands every couple reps.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 am

Thursday Nov 1st:

Shoulder dislocates (or rollovers) with a 30# lb band, 2x15
Wood Choppers: 2x22
CC Level III pushups: 2x22 - alternated normal, staggered hands and one hand away from center of body.
Windshield Wipers, Nutcrackers and Tactical Frog mobility series to enhance\improve the squat (as demoed by Maxwell and the "Flexible Steel" RKC guy) as a prep for
CC Level III BW squats: 2x22.
CC Level I L-Sit x2
CC II Seated Twistx2
I think I did the right thing ditching the spins. Some band and mobility work on the front end to take its place seems to round out the circuit better. 5 Tibetans Rites is a fine creation, but it's very basic and misses some dimensions of movement that I want in my workout.

Dinner was from a Reader's Digest compilation called "Extraordinary Food From Ordinary Ingredients" by David Joachim, one of the great, underrated food writers. Sloppy Joes, made with ground chicken, onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, Worchestershire sauce, ketchup and brown sugar (and salt and pepper, of course). The trick was to serve it on buttermilk biscuits with some melted cheddar cheese. And the biscuits came straight from one of those Pillsbury Grand popopen canisters. The biscuit sort of melted in your mouth and melded with the cheese and the Joe mix to be something really, really good. It was all we could do not to inhale our servings in 30 seconds.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Friday,November 2nd:
A wash. Went out to dinner with my wife,had a glass of wine and collapsed into mumbling beef-headedness. I'm on vacation next week, so I'll be a bit more consistent then. I hope.

Saturday, November 3rd:

Wood Choppers: 2x22
Dynamic Leg Swings, Front, Back and Side - 3 min
CC Level III pushups: 2x24 - alternated normal, staggered hands and one hand away from center of body.
CC Level III BW squats: 2x24.
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC II Level I L Sits: 2x25 seconds.

The supplemental hip work seems to be paying off - I definitely have more "space" at the bottom of the squats and hardly need to "pry" at all.

Dinner: Oven "fried" chicken tenders and a beet/goat cheese/spinach salad from Knack books "College Cooking" compilation.
Dredging the tenders in 1) flour with oregano, Old Bay, cayenne,Salt and Pepper, then 2) Eggs, then 3) Bread crumbs and grated parmesan was a pain, but I'm getting better with the whole "dredging" process, and this time I managed to keep from developing a "club hand". Sprayed with olive oil and baked in 375 oven for 12-15 minutes. Melts in your mouth, makes anything you can buy from delis or fast food taste like stale cardboard by comparison. Marinating canned beet slices and red onion in sesame oil and sherry vinegar does something amazing with canned beets - normally my attitudes towards green salads is "meh", but this one was special.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 am

Sunday November 4th:

2 hour walk (with my wife) through various midtown neighborhoods.

Ahhhh, that's better.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:47 am

Monday, November 6th:

Total fuckoff. Slept in,played on the PC and watched movies all day (OK, I did spend some time on Network+), and baked some drumsticks and mashed some sweet potatoes.

Tuesday, November 7th:

Overcame my inertia and reservations this morning and went outside to do some "urban rangering" (as Reinhart the Shovelglove guy puts it). Went north into the teeth of a 20-30 mph wind for 50 minutes, then turned around and walked back. God, I turned into a total pussy in my 40s once I stopped running, didn't I? Can't express how good I feel tonight with the "afterglow".

30 minutes Jumpstretch lower body routine, and some messing around with "Humane Burpees".

Dinner: Milk Braised pork loin and oven fried sweet potatoes (tossed with salt and egg whites, 500 F for 15 minutes in a baking pan.)

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Wednesday November 7th

Mild mobility stuff for a warmup, including the windshield wipers and "tactical frog" stuff for the hips.
Circuit:
Double Clubbell Swings (2 10# clubbells) 2x25 - looking for a "hinge" movement, this might do the trick.
CC Level III pushups: 2x25 - alternated normal, staggered hands and one hand away from center of body, sets of 3.
CC Level III BW squats: 2x25.
Tibetan Rite "Pumps", 12,8 (getting a little tired)
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC II Level I L-Sits 2x20 seconds

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm

Thursday November 8th thru 11th:

Vacation/anniversary trip to Kansas City with my wife. The fancy-schmancy hotel we stayed out had a health club (one of those vendor run things that sells memberships to the public as well as admissions for the guests) and I managed to get a couple of visits in there on Friday and Sunday to do my basic circuit:

Mild mobility stuff for a warmup, including the windshield wipers and "tactical frog" stuff for the hips.
Circuit:
Halos (with a medicine ball) 2x23
Woodchoppers (with a medicine ball) 2x23
CC Level III pushups: 2x25 - alternated normal, staggered hands and one hand away from center of body, sets of 3.
CC Level III BW squats: 2x25.
CC II Seated Twistx2
CC II Level I L-Sits 2x20 seconds

Got some mildly curious looks from the people using the worthless exercise machines, but no one asked and I didn't proselytize.

Also walked 2-4 miles most days walking to various districts in the neighborhood and to Jack Stacks barbecue place just south of the Power And Light District.

Monday night, after we got home and unpacked, did 30 minutes Jumpstretch band lower body routine.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Spent Tuesday evening playing catchup with Network+. Spent Wednesday watching "Restaurant Impossible" with some friends and studying. Could feel myself getting stale, but that's just how it worked out.

Thursday, Nov 15th:

Maxwell's Universal mobility routine (the one you can download from his site) with emphasis on hips and hamstrings, 40 minutes.

Made a sort of Asian Ramen-noodle chicken soup thing from "Gentlemen, Start Your Ovens", that was decent, but needs a bit of tinkering - next time I'll try some hoison sauce in the broth, or add some fresh lime juice at the end, or add some toasted cashews for garnish along with the chopped scallions.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:13 am

Friday November 16th:

I've been feeling nostalgic for the "Xing Yi Nei Gong" set I used to do faithfully 10 years ago as a "calisthentics" oriented chi kung supplement to the flowing, unified 21 movement "Yang Family Tai Chi Chi Kung" set I also did almost daily. (John DuCane marketed TCCK set as his "Bliss QiGong" DVD. It's good instruction - I have no quarrel with his technique or presentation - but he sucks all the life out of it somehow - if I hadn't been converted by Stuart Alve Olson previously , I'd never be inspired to keep at it.)

Looking back, I'd have to say in retrospect that XING is a very good set to know and practice - it just isn't sufficient as a standalone set (even combined with walking). I was hoping to heal some chronic injuries with it, but I only improved to a certain point. This is in no way the fault of its creator, or the Miller/Cartmell book, and reflects my own limitations and understanding (and time constraints) at the time.

So tonight I did the basic 16 movements, and then instead of just finishing up with "Tiger Crawls" (most of us know this as "The Pump" or Tibetan Rite number 5), I did the hip mobilization stuff from "Flexible Steel" and "Recuper8", followed by 1 set of 25 reps from the exercises I've been doing from "Convict Conditioning", along with some spinal rolls and some band exercises.

Not bad. Something like this (along with some walking) might be enough to keep me from sliding too far back while I concentrate on passing Network+ by the end of the year. It's also sort of in the spirit of the Amosov routine.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Whats your take on the trifecta from CC2?Been thinking about incorporating it.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:25 am

Definitely worth doing, for me anyway. It took me weeks to develop the "hollowing" ab thing so I could hold the L-Sit properly, but it was worth learning, and the Seated Twist stuff has helped a chronic S/I and outer hip problem I've had for as long as I can remember.

I tend to do them as part of my circuits, at the end of the circuit, as active recovery. I try to hold them 20-30 seconds each time, and that seems to be plenty.

I don't necessarily buy Wade's assertion that the trifecta is all you need. Everyone needs different things from their mobility and recovery stuff - I need to do a lot of stuff to make my left adductors/psoas let go, and resistance bands and tactical frogs/windshield wipers target that problem better than the Trifecta. (At least at my level of practice). But the three drills do cover a lot of ground.
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:29 am

Saturday November 17th:

1 hour 45 minute walk, across town to a local city park and back, diverting to explore some alleys, etc., on the way.
15 minutes of Jumpstretch lower body routine after dinner.

Man, the first 15 minutes of the walk sucked. It took a lot of character to keep going. But then things opened up some (I hate to use the term "2nd wind" when it comes to something as prosaic as walking) and I ended up going farther than I originally planned.

Sloppy Joes on buttermilk biscuits and three bean salad for dinner.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:31 am

The twist does look good.Got some hip trouble now and again.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:09 am

Sunday November 18th:

70 minute walk with my wife - we 'earned' our bottle of Crane Lake by walking to a store in Dundee that sells it.

Monday, November 19th:

Combined Xing Yi Nei Gong and Maxwell's "universal joint mobility" routine, and incorporate CC drills where appropriate: pushups, bridges, leg lifts, BW squats and calf raises for 1 set of 30 reps each. Covered a lot of bases, hoping this (and variations of it) are enough to keep me from back sliding. Network+ is, frankly, kicking my ass. Got 80% points on one "master" practice exam, downloaded another one and got 60%, mostly due to Linux questions that none of my study material covers. Fuck, I may have to pass CCNA certs in order to pass this one.

Simple...dogged...persistence. The very name of the journal shames me into not giving up. (Thanks, Yogalete!)

For dinner: Had some little bay scallops left in the freezer, bought a can of lump crabmeat and made a soup with Old Bay seasoning, carrots, onions, bell peppers, some diced potatoes and some frozen corn. And I actually chiffonaded some goddamned fresh basil leaves and added those at the last minute. Delicious. I may be stupid, but I sure can cook.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Got off work early for Thanksgiving, so I had time for a workout before "Movie Night".

Combined Xing Yi Nei Gong and Maxwell's "universal joint mobility" routine, and incorporated CC drills where appropriate: pushups, bridges, leg lifts, BW squats and calf raises for 1 set of 30 reps each.

Got Maxwell's Kettlebell Conditioning Course in the mail today too. Will hold off on the "Official" 8 week program for a while as I concentrate on the damned cert and the CC stuff, but Maxwell included a "standardized" version of the upper and lower body kettlebell mobility routines he showed on "The Boys Are Back In Town" and a "Laying the Foundation" circuit and a "Core Mobility" circuit. So I can keep up with the "day in and day out" stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow IGxers. I may not agree with all the opinions and philosophies presented here, but in the long run, this is still one of the interesting and eclectic group of posters I've ever seen. (Of course, I'm comparing you to Slashdot and 4Chan...)

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:46 am

Thursday, Nov 22nd: Off, for obvious reasons.

Friday, Nov 23rd:

80 minute walk in a big circuit going out to the Fieldclub walking trail on one end, walking part of its length, and walking home from one of the exits. Damned brisk - Indian Summer seemed to come to an end yesterday - but I'm making an argument for "tempering".

Pumpkin pancakes for brunch.

Turkey meatballs in tomato sauce served over lemon couscous to supper (from "Nigella Kitchen" by Nigella Lawson, which I got for $10 as a remaindered book at Barnes and Noble. I sometimes have trouble making her recipes work, but I figured out what she was trying to do and it came out great.)
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:20 am

Sunday Nov 25th: 40 minutes of combined Xing Yi Nei Gong and Maxwell Universal Mobility routine, ending in 1x30 for all the CC calistentics I currently practice.

Monday Nov 26th: Off from work (need to use up some vacation or I will lose it). 90 minute walk out in some pretty chilly and windy weather, big circuit from home to the Leavenworth St entrance to the Fieldclub trail, exit the end of the trail at Vinton/Grover and home.

Tried some of the "Breathwalk" and "Breathplay" techniques to take my mind off the weather; "Square" breathing from Breathwalk didn't seem to do much for me and felt uncomfortable. Tried the Breathplay technique of making the exhale longer than the inhale and doing it for odd numbers of steps so that the inhale always changed from left foot to right foot as I walked. (I.e. 3 steps inhale, 4 steps exhale, working eventually to 2 steps inhale and 11-13 steps exhale,at least on flat ground and going downhill.) A little experimentation made me decide that it actually felt better to actively push out 70-80% of the air in the first 2-3 steps and push/sniff a bit with the diaphragm with mostly empty lungs for the the rest of the out cycle. I think this is pretty close to what Nate Morrison suggested in his presentation in "The Boys Are Back In Town".

90 minutes walking at a stretch is enough to provide 10,000 steps plus a bit more. I am becoming convinced that seriously, dudes, if you aren't a competitive athlete or professional dancer/performer, this much walking is enough to take care of 90% of a person's fitness health needs (along with some stretching mobility and a bit of strength work.) And on the other hand, if you are turning your nose up at walking because you are a power lifter or strength athlete or kettlebell lifter, etc...you need something close to this to provide a "base" of conditioning in our couch potato society. (Cyclists and swimmers get a pass, of course).

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:34 am

Tuesday November 27th:

Some random mobility stuff. Picked up my 1 pood kettlebell and did the upper and lower body warmups from Maxwell's "Kettlebell Conditioning" manual twice - 30 minutes. Was shocked at how heavy it felt. Manageable, but heavy. A nice stimulus and a good change of pace.

I think I'll just do the warmups and JM stuff several times a week for the rest of the year as a recharge and as a prep for pursuing the full 8 week program one of these months once I have my CC exercises advanced to where I want them.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 am

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:

90 minutes walking at a stretch is enough to provide 10,000 steps plus a bit more. I am becoming convinced that seriously, dudes, if you aren't a competitive athlete or professional dancer/performer, this much walking is enough to take care of 90% of a person's fitness health needs (along with some stretching mobility and a bit of strength work.) And on the other hand, if you are turning your nose up at walking because you are a power lifter or strength athlete or kettlebell lifter, etc...you need something close to this to provide a "base" of conditioning in our couch potato society. (Cyclists and swimmers get a pass, of course).

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've been reading some Amosov stuff of late, and his emphasis on low-tech but consistent work for ordinary folks is really striking a chord. The key point is doing it, and very few people commit to things long term - especially when they lack a gimmick or outrageous fitness claim. It's much easier to get people to try p90x or some other stuff for a few weeks than get them walk everyday for the rest of their lives. I'm still in this bracket somewhat. Shame.

On a related topic, have you seen any of the chi-running/walking stuff? I listened to a podcast from the guy yesterday, and he talks a lot about breathwork in that. It sounded like good stuff really, struck that nice balance between internal exercise and physical work which I gravitate towards...

Anyway, your log is good reading.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 am

Odin, I've got the Chi Walking book, and I try to incorporate at least one of those strategies in each long walk I do. The one that seems most natural and seems to make the biggest difference is the idea of "peeling the sole from the ground"; if you really do this smoothly, it's almost impossible to walk with a heel strike.

Glad you like the log. This year it all seems to be coming together for me, just in time to hopefully fight off the depradations of middle age.

Wednesday, November 28th:

40 minutes of Maxwell JM routine combined with my favorite Xing Yi Nei Gong drills, concluding with 30 pushups, bridges and leg lifts.

Thursday November 29th:

Neck ache is coming back, dammit, woke me up at 4:00 am. I'd hoped that all the stuff I do now would let me skip over the resistance band exercises for the upper body I was doing for a while there, but no such luck. Well, I've got no real cause for complaint - if 5-10 extra minutes a day with a Jumpstretch band keeps the neck happy, it's a lot better than drugs, surgery, or semi-weekly chiropractor appointments.

I think some of it is just my fascial system tightening up under the load of an external weight. This happens every time I go back to the iron - the first couple of weeks, I feel anxious, irritable, and aggressive. So maybe some hot baths and light yoga on down days will be a good idea.
So:

Tonight: Maxwell and Xing Yi Joint mobility, followed by 10 minutes of resistance band stuff for the shoulders and upper back.
Then I went through the upper and lower body kettlebell warmups from Maxwell's "Kettlebell Conditioning System" book: Slingshots, halos, good mornings, spinal waves, chest opener, cossack squats, reverse lunges (for low reps with a light kettlebell)l then more slingshots and halos (in the other direction), halo "chops", standing shoulder stretch, windmills, shoulder rotations, and standing russian twists.

I think doing the warmups every other day will get me ready for more rigorous work in the early spring when I'm done with this damned cert.

Dinner: baptised my new food processor with Salmon Cakes with lime butter, and made some Buffalo Spud wedges in the oven.(Buffalo spud: potato wedges tossed with butter, salt, hot sauce and paprika, cooked in a 400-425 F oven for 20-25 minutes. 90% of the pleasure of potato skins with about 20% of the calories.)
Last edited by Abandoned by Wolves on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

ABW, have you written a review for the Maxwell Kb Dvd? If not, would you mind? I'm interested in most anything Maxwell puts out.

Thanks!

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Mickey, can do. In brief, it's somewhat similar in emphasis with Pavel/RKC, but I like his programming and scheduling better. Also, no hype or ads or "Comrade" stuff - just basic training info with a minimum of fluff.