Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Convict Conditioning via the Moving Forward Method

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks, ABW.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I think your sig photo just carbonated my hormones, Mickey!

Friday, November 30th:

Mix of Mawell mobility, Xing Yi Nei Gong, and some resistance band work for the shoulders, about 45 minutes.

Peeled and chunked some sweet potatoes, onions, apples and garlic, sliced up some andouillie sausages, tossed them with salt, pepper, and oil, wrapped them in a big foil packet with some fresh rosemary sprigs and baked on a baking sheet for 50 minutes at 425-450. Everything was infused with rosemary, the apples turned into almost applesauce, the garlic became sweet and mellow, and clean up was a breeze.

Saturday, December 1st:

90 minute walk in a big circuit that incorporated the Field Club trail at the eastern end. First 20 minutes absolutely sucked, but the thing about being on a walk is that you're kind of stuck with it; if you stop out of boredom or ennui or laziness or whatever....well, there you are, 10-15 minutes away from home and no way to get back there except to walk (at least with any dignity). So you might as well keep going.

Didn't mess with the breath play stuff, but in the last 30 minutes I finally got the "heel peel" and the hip action from "Chi Walking" synchronized - for a long time I could do one or the other at a time, but not both. The key? Well, I kept the "feel" of the "peel the sole from the ground" but didn't do it quite so emphatically. And suddenly the hips were tilting side to side with each step AND the feet were churning away like I was the Roadrunner. So, progress.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Sunday Dec 2nd:

Repeated Saturday's 90 minute walk. Oddly, my quads began to tie up a little about 40% in. Or not so odd - even though I've done more distance and faster on the weekends,this is pretty hilly.

20 minutes resistance band and Jumpstretch stuff to balance things out. Thankfully, my neck is finally calming down. I suspect it was Halos with a kettlebell that aggravated it. Will get a light kettlebell for warm ups, or swap in a clubbell or resistance band work for that exercise.

Butterflied a couple Pork tenderloins, slathered them with brown mustard and seasoned them with a rub made of 5 spice powder, brown sugar, garlic powder, black pepper and a little salt for dinner. Cut some red cabbage and red onions into wedges in bottom of a baking dish, poured a cup of OJ over the veggies, put the tenderloins on top and roasted in a 500 degree oven. (From a cookbook called "Time For Dinner"). The cookbook said 15 minutes, I needed 25 or so before the tenderloins were 150 F in the middle. Sliced the loins onto our plates, scooped the carmelized onions and cabbage over each serving with some of the seasoned juice. A nice end to the weekend.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 am

Friday Dec 7th:

Managed to get in some mobility and walking in on Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday off, Thursday did the combo of Maxwell Universal Mobility and Xing Yi Nei Gong, capped with spinal rolls, pushups, bridges, and leg raises, 2 set of 25. I'm not moving forward, but I think I am maintaining while I devote normal rec and workout time to studying.

Highlight of the week: Avgolemeno soup on Tuesday night. Essentially chicken and orzo and carrots and celery and broth simmered together while you beat eggs and lemon juice together in a separate bowl. Then when the soup is ready, you temper the egg/lemon mixture with some of the hot broth, then add the eggs/lemon/broth mixture back into the original stock pot and let it sit for 5 minutes while it thickens. (The tempering keeps the eggs from turning into egg drop soup, which isn't bad, but not what we want here.) Ridiculously good and easy - velvety and tangy and wonderful on the tongue.
(From "The Complete Idiots Guide to Fast And Fresh Meals")

Also made a chia "pudding" for a late night snack, and it gave me such a burst of energy I had trouble getting to sleep that night.

This bodes well.

Tonight: Maxwell/XYNG 30 minutes including 1 working set of 25 for spine rolls, pushups, leg raises and bridges.
Then: Starting in on one of Maxwell's "specialty" routines from his "Kettlebell Conditioning System", the "Laying the Foundation" set with a 25 lb birdball. Not a part of the 8 week program that is the core of the book - plan to pick 2 or 3 of the specialty routines and do one almost every day just for general tempering and preparation for harder things to come once I'm done with the certification.

Military Press L 8/R 8 reps x3 sets (goal is 15 reps, but I'm starting waaaay easy)
2 hand swings 10 + Goblet Squats x8 3 sets
One hand OH squat, 4 reps each arm