xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:00 pm

My last log was dedicated to as long as it took to make black belt; that has been accomplished. Since then I have been in a weird little phase where I have accomplished this goal I have been working towards for years, and now that it is behind me, I was feeling somewhat rudderless. I also was feeling the burden of responsibility that came with the belt. When visitors, new students, and challengers come to the academies where I train they won't know me, but they will see my rank and they will assume that I am prepared to represent a high level of ability on the mat. That alone justifies a re-dedication to focused and intelligent training, for I will only be known to them by my actions:

"One's actions alone define whether one belongs to a good family or a bad family, valiant or arrogant, and disciplined or undisciplined." -Lord Rāma, Rāmāyaṇa (Sarga 109:4)

Added to that is the fact that I have, for probably the past year and particularly the past 8 months or so, been feeling the effects of improper training. I've had aching joints, Achilles tendon issues, repeated sinus infections, irritability, back pain, stiffness, and general loss of mobility and flexibility. As my principal activity is jiujitsu, my other training must fall in line with that, and things which don't serve that end should be generally used carefully or altogether avoided. In this way I can keep a high standard, represent my association well, and live life relatively pain free. I'm also modifying my diet quite a bit, eating less and with less meat and alcohol in it.

In particular, the goal is to train jiujitsu four times a week, but only sparring hard twice a week and drilling the other two. Other days will involve mobility work, hiking, and the only strength training I do will be a kettlebell session on Saturdays, possibly with some pullups added in.

2012.06.24AM; Universal Mobility Standing & Floor Routine and a six mile hike.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:45 pm

That sounds very good, Fats. Somewhat similar to what I have moved to although my reasoning is to just feel better, move a lot better and work towards being a lot more athletically mobile and flexible.

What is the Universal Mobility Standing & Floor Routine? If it is from Maxwell's videos you downloaded don't worry about sharing. It's not fair if you pay for it and you share the info with me. I will just google-fu.

I will be reading your log regularly as usual.

EDIT: Just googled and it is one of Maxwell's videos. I have enough of his stuff that it probably overlaps with everything I have or that I do now. That said it is probably something I will pick up in the future.

Thanks.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 pm

http://www.maxwellsc.com/hybrid-training-workouts.cfm

Mickey, the three works which I am using are the videos from the Hybrid Training downloads.

1. Health & Well-Being Kettlebell Workout
2. Me, My Kettlebell, & I
3. Universal Mobility Standing & Floor Routine

Get all three for $40, it's good stuff.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:08 am

2012.06.25PM; happy birthday to my Dad...trained a little with a new blue after a quick warmup, then a class of guard retention drills and attacks from side control. Finished with more sparring with moderate to high intensity.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Added to that is the fact that I have, for probably the past year and particularly the past 8 months or so, been feeling the effects of improper training. I've had aching joints, Achilles tendon issues, repeated sinus infections, irritability, back pain, stiffness, and general loss of mobility and flexibility. As my principal activity is jiujitsu, my other training must fall in line with that, and things which don't serve that end should be generally used carefully or altogether avoided. In this way I can keep a high standard, represent my association well, and live life relatively pain free. I'm also modifying my diet quite a bit, eating less and with less meat and alcohol in it.

In particular, the goal is to train jiujitsu four times a week, but only sparring hard twice a week and drilling the other two. Other days will involve mobility work, hiking, and the only strength training I do will be a kettlebell session on Saturdays, possibly with some pullups added in.

Aloha!
Professor, I am finding myself in this same situation even after hoisting the barbells for a short time. I have adopted that jiujitsu and walking are my base activities of 3-5 times a week along with daily mobility work. 2 sessions of bodyweight strength and conditioning and one weekly session of sprinting. It is where we hit our balance point that is the issue.

Might I ask, where do you get the names for your log titles?

Oss.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey Soup, I get my log names from music, literature, or books I like. Iron Robe is a character from an old kung fu movie, I picked it because of the sense of having a weight of responsibility when I put on the kimono. The symbols I use to make it easy for me to find my log under all the others.

As for training, yes, the balance point is individual. That said, hearken back to the old weightlifting courses of the 30s, 40s, and 50s...they all recommend about 3 training sessions a week. Now look at your matrix: 3-5 sessions of grappling, 2 sessions of conditioning, plus more...that's a minimum of 5 to 7 hard sessions a week. Twice what was recommended years ago. Yet our bodies are the same as they were in those times past. How can it be that we are capable of so much more? The answer, in my opinion, is that we are not, and that people who push themselves like this over time will eventually pay a price. It is a type of very natural greed: we want it all, and we want it now, but it may be that we are cheating ourselves in the rush to results.

Consider also, how much of what we do is out of desire for social approval. By which I mean, if one wins a jiujitsu tournament because they are stronger or better conditioned than your opponent, in what way are they actually testing or improving their jiujitsu? They're not. It's not cheating, but it's not a demonstration of jiujitsu. Tournament medals, big muscles, big lifts, name, fame, and glory...it's all what turns the wheel of illusion.

What if we just did the right thing--in training and in life--because it is the right thing and not because I want (equally lost) people to think I'm cool, or look up to me, or whatever garbage line of thinking?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 am

2012.06.27PM; jiujitsu...rolled with a very light blue belt as my warmup. Because I have a history of abusing this guy, I played a very light game focusing on my bottom half, which is a position which I am starting to like, despite all my pretentious BS about it not being combative. It's just fun, and honestly, this guy I could pick up and chuck out the window so why not? I even hit a couple of deep half sweeps when he was insisting on his shoulder pressure.

After that, an hour of drills and sweeps to counter the standing pass when he controls a sleeve, then more sparring. I also sparred against big Wayne, who is a beastly purple, and sweeping him is like trying to sweep a rock nailed to an anvil locked in a safe. I played guard, but things got dicey when he passed. I ended up upa'ing him when he went for mount, just at the bell.

After that some more sparring with less distinguished opponents, then bounced out. Focus was on flow and avoiding reliance on attributes, still going "hard" but technical.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Hey Soup, I get my log names from music, literature, or books I like. Iron Robe is a character from an old kung fu movie, I picked it because of the sense of having a weight of responsibility when I put on the kimono. The symbols I use to make it easy for me to find my log under all the others.

As for training, yes, the balance point is individual. That said, hearken back to the old weightlifting courses of the 30s, 40s, and 50s...they all recommend about 3 training sessions a week. Now look at your matrix: 3-5 sessions of grappling, 2 sessions of conditioning, plus more...that's a minimum of 5 to 7 hard sessions a week. Twice what was recommended years ago. Yet our bodies are the same as they were in those times past. How can it be that we are capable of so much more? The answer, in my opinion, is that we are not, and that people who push themselves like this over time will eventually pay a price. It is a type of very natural greed: we want it all, and we want it now, but it may be that we are cheating ourselves in the rush to results.

Consider also, how much of what we do is out of desire for social approval. By which I mean, if one wins a jiujitsu tournament because they are stronger or better conditioned than your opponent, in what way are they actually testing or improving their jiujitsu? They're not. It's not cheating, but it's not a demonstration of jiujitsu. Tournament medals, big muscles, big lifts, name, fame, and glory...it's all what turns the wheel of illusion.

What if we just did the right thing--in training and in life--because it is the right thing and not because I want (equally lost) people to think I'm cool, or look up to me, or whatever garbage line of thinking?
This is brilliant and difficult for me to comprehend, and if I comprehend it correctly...it is humbling. I appreciate your words of wisdom and do my best to put it into practice. Thanks Mak!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Hey Soup, I get my log names from music, literature, or books I like. Iron Robe is a character from an old kung fu movie, I picked it because of the sense of having a weight of responsibility when I put on the kimono. The symbols I use to make it easy for me to find my log under all the others.

You are wise beyond your years, FC.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:

You are wise beyond your years, FC.
Delurking just to ditto ABW. Very wise words. I must think on this.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, I apologize for cluttering your log, but that was an incredible post. Thanks for that.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks guys, I'm just thinking out loud some of the thoughts you must have already had.

2012.06.28PM; jiujitsu...no-gi sparring, working against a big 305'er, he was playing a lot of deep half and I won't lie, he put me over at least once. But other than that, was good.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am

Very nice.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Mickey, FYI the Universal Mobility set is quite different than Maxwell's other mobility routines. That doesn't mean you need to run out and buy it, but it's unique with a focus on lower spine and hips, which is my kryptonite.

2012.06.30PM; Pre-Sports Mobility Warm-Up & Health & Well-Being Kettlebell Workout. Time was 15:23.

Aloha!

Bedlam 0-0-0
Gunny

Post by Bedlam 0-0-0 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:54 am

Your jun 27 post should be nuggeted imo. Thank you for posting that.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:32 am

Thank you very much.

2012.07.01PM; Universal Mobility standing and floor program. The chair, frog, and pigeon sequences are something my body needs but like any medicine, it's bitter. Ouch! After that, six miles hiking.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:51 am

Fat Cat wrote:Mickey, FYI the Universal Mobility set is quite different than Maxwell's other mobility routines. That doesn't mean you need to run out and buy it, but it's unique with a focus on lower spine and hips, which is my kryptonite.

2012.06.30PM; Pre-Sports Mobility Warm-Up & Health & Well-Being Kettlebell Workout. Time was 15:23.

Aloha!
Thanks for letting me know that. I will probably pick it up soon.

Aloha, Mak!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 am

2012.07.02PM; jiujitsu...2 hour seminar with Rhalan Gracie on the science of the clinch in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 am

2012.07.03PM; jiujitsu...self defense techniques against bear hugs as a warmup, then a class on countering the deep half guard. After that three seven minute rounds.

Aloha!

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:39 am

Fat Cat wrote:My last log was dedicated to as long as it took to make black belt; that has been accomplished. Since then I have been in a weird little phase where I have accomplished this goal I have been working towards for years, and now that it is behind me, I was feeling somewhat rudderless. I also was feeling the burden of responsibility that came with the belt. When visitors, new students, and challengers come to the academies where I train they won't know me, but they will see my rank and they will assume that I am prepared to represent a high level of ability on the mat. That alone justifies a re-dedication to focused and intelligent training, for I will only be known to them by my actions:

"One's actions alone define whether one belongs to a good family or a bad family, valiant or arrogant, and disciplined or undisciplined." -Lord Rāma, Rāmāyaṇa (Sarga 109:4)

2012.06.24AM; Universal Mobility Standing & Floor Routine and a six mile hike.

Aloha!

You can either climb down off a peak or fall off. Time to regroup, refresh, and refocus. Both your mind an dbody need a break. One without the other will leave you in a not so good place. Less is more until you need to start climbing again. True in every sport and vocation.

Aloha
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 am

Haha, I like that Jack, thanks for the good word and happy Independence Day to you.

2012.07.04AM; felt like doing something different today so I dug out an older Maxwell workout from 2008. This is his Ancient Tools for Modern Warriors workout...available here: http://maxwellsc.blogspot.com/2008/11/a ... riors.html

1. Rope Skipping x 6:00
2. Hindu Squats x 6:00 (112)
3. Hindu Pushups x 3:00 (25)
4. Alt. 15 lbs. Clubbell Shield Cast 20x5
5. Mace Swing 20 x 5
6. Double Clubbell Swipes 20 x 5

Time - 32:48

Aloha!

PS...I did reasonably well with the jump rope, surprisingly; the toughest one for me was the mace. Somehow I don't have that groove yet, but I will revisit it periodically.
Last edited by Fat Cat on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 am

"The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined." -President Theodore Roosevelt, 1905

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Fat Cat wrote:"The art of Jiu-Jitsu is worth more in every way than all of our athletics combined." -President Theodore Roosevelt, 1905
Oss!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:16 am

2012.07.06PM; jiujitsu...class on escaping from the modified mount when he's up on one leg and how to reverse the fight. After that sparring which was very intense. Right now there is one purple belt and one blue belt, both big athletic guys, who try and kill me every round. It's good but a little nerve wracking some times. Went three non-stop six minute matches, hard.

No heavy training this weekend, hot tubs and yogāsana fren.

Aloha!