xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 am

Yes, but please don't call me professor. I was joking when I said that. I'm hopeless at jiujitsu but I try.

As for yoga, my go-to for years has been David Swenson's 45 minute short form. That plus the deep relaxation period in savasana make just under an hour and for me; it's more or less the perfect yoga set for me. I dig his style and right now, my body is kind of fucked up, so I'm going with things that give me reliable results.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:42 am

2012.10.17PM; 8 hours hiking around Kiholo Bay in Kona, where I am helping to write the master plan for the state park there. Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:46 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Image

2012.10.17PM; 8 hours hiking around Kiholo Bay in Kona, where I am helping to write the master plan for the state park there. Aloha!
Very cool, always fun to look through your log
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks Bram! Check out the picture, I fixed the link. It's this awesome lagoon where sea turtles congregate to get away from tiger sharks.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Wow! that is just beautiful...
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 am

2012.10.18PM; no-gi jiu-jitsu...did just about an hour straight of no-gi rolling, with emphasis on leg locks off the 50/50 guard or passing, and as always transitioning in and out of my half guard.

My bottom half game is now sort of bouncing back and forth between high underhook and deep half. It makes it more unpredictable and harder for guys to get passed; what I need to start doing more now is adding in the half butterfly more. I'd like to have a tripartite bottom half and a willingness to play some unconventional 50/50 and footlock games, which make the whole scenario more threatening.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:00 am

2012.10.19PM; self defense jiu-jitsu...warmed up by tuning up a blue belt. He's a nice guy but I told him warm up chill kind, and he proceeded to try to do a fuckin' Copacabana choke on me, which is like a rape choke braced on a knee-on-face. I was like damn son why you try to stick me? So, he got his; smash, pass, mount, choke.

After that I taught the Friday self defense course. Today was the elaboration of the techniques shown in my last class, intercepting the haymaker with an elbow, clinching, and tripping him into a mounted position. Only this time we posited a straight punching opponent and clinched off the pisão, or stomp to the knee. This adds the o-goshi and tani-otoshi takedowns, depending on if you clinch the opponent with his lead arm behind you or in front of you, respectively.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:07 am

2012.10.20PM; Maxwell's Spartan 300 - Beginner Series; this is the first time in a while for a lot of these movements so I only did 20 reps of each exercise.

1. Ring Chin & Pushup
2. Sumo Squat & Situps
3. Ring Row x Hindu Pushup
4. Twist Crunch & Cossack Squat
5. Sprint Lunge & Squat Thrust

Total Time: 16:43

Also played an hour of soccer later in the day.

Aloha!

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:46 pm

It looks like you combined the beginner and intermediate series.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Yeah. I think that's correct, I just dredged this out of an old workout log and didn't bother to go review the video. I should though, cause I think I will stick with this for a while. Right now I'm more into jiu-jitsu and outdoors activities than lifting. All this was done under the mango trees and there's nothing like the feeling working out outside on a sunny day.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Fat Cat wrote:All this was done under the mango trees and there's nothing like the feeling working out outside on a sunny day.
I am well aware of this! No need to rub it in!!!! And I love mangoes, too!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 am

2012.10.21PM; an hour of astanga yoga, a six mile hike gathering wild guavas and avocado, and then dinner with friends. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 am

2012.10.22PM; jiujitsu...rolled with a big strong blue belt, playing from half guard as my base and working from there.

This was followed by a half an hour of attacks from knee on belly and another half an hour devoted to sweeps from butterfly and butterfly half. I have to travel to Kaua`i early tomorrow so I couldn't stay for more rolling.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:33 am

2012.10.24PM; jiujitsu...rolled, trained for an hour, rolled some more. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:57 am

2012.10.25PM; jiujitsu...no gi rolling for an hour, just working on having a constant attack from the bottom. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:37 am

2012.10.26PM; jiujitsu...taught my Introduction to Jiu-Jitsu class to a few interested people, focusing on "bum rush" attacks. As always, I chose to teach the moves as part of a scenario, where an aggressor talks his way into close range and then tries to throttle you up against a wall and either choke or strike.

I believe that pedagogically speaking, envisioning the scenario-based connection between the techniques make them far easier to learn and embed than if I teach them purely as stand alone techniques. I'm still working on blending the classic body of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu with modern teaching methods, and this is very much a work in progress.

1. If he comes talking shit, shell up and tell him to step off.
2. If he opens up to attack, stomp the knee and enter to a clinch.
3. If he gets you up against the wall, counter with a finger break.
4. If you base before he can knock you off balance, duck under his arm and counter with elbows to the jawline.
5. If you base before he can knock you off balance and get you up against a wall, but then he relinquishes one gripping hand to strike or draw a weapon, apply waki-gatame armlock.
5. If he removes one hand to strike, palm heel to the elbow and then counter elbow to the jawline.
6. If he grabs clothing to maintain his control, brace his elbows, drop your base and circle him around into the wall and apply knees to testicles or liver.

...for each application I showed the "classic" self defense movement, and then an application of the same technique in a free flowing fight or MMA context (with the exception of the finger breaking, for the latter).

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 am

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2012.10.26PM; jiujitsu...taught my Introduction to Jiu-Jitsu class to a few interested people, focusing on "bum rush" attacks. As always, I chose to teach the moves as part of a scenario, where an aggressor talks his way into close range and then tries to throttle you up against a wall and either choke or strike.

I believe that pedagogically speaking, envisioning the scenario-based connection between the techniques make them far easier to learn and embed than if I teach them purely as stand alone techniques. I'm still working on blending the classic body of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu with modern teaching methods, and this is very much a work in progress.

1. If he comes talking shit, shell up and tell him to step off.
2. If he opens up to attack, stomp the knee and enter to a clinch.
3. If he gets you up against the wall, counter with a finger break.
4. If you base before he can knock you off balance, duck under his arm and counter with elbows to the jawline.
5. If you base before he can knock you off balance and get you up against a wall, but then he relinquishes one gripping hand to strike or draw a weapon, apply waki-gatame armlock.
5. If he removes one hand to strike, palm heel to the elbow and then counter elbow to the jawline.
6. If he grabs clothing to maintain his control, brace his elbows, drop your base and circle him around into the wall and apply knees to testicles or liver.

...for each application I showed the "classic" self defense movement, and then an application of the same technique in a free flowing fight or MMA context (with the exception of the finger breaking, for the latter).

Aloha!
Sheer brilliance. An excellent lesson.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks Souperman!

2012.10.28AM; Spartan 300 Bodyweight - Intermediate Series in 20:22.

If the post-tsunami currents are not too weird I will go for a swim at the beach later.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 am

2012.10.29PM; jiujitsu...light warm up rolling, trying to always force myself to move on to a position which is more trouble for me. For example, I like mount, but if I got there I forced myself to work for taking the back which is a harder position for me. It's good and gives the other guy more chances to play against my weaknesses.

After that we did an hour of defenses against bludgeoning attacks, particularly downward attacks from middle and outside ranges, and also lateral swings when a guy is trying to fend you off with a weapon.

Finished with three 6 minute sessions, swapping in a different opponent. Was mostly playing deep half, but I got some nice single legs I was proud of.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:55 am

2012.10.30PM; jiujitsu...rolled with a squirrel little blue belt for a spell as my warmup, just playing around and having fun, never playing the top for more than a few seconds. Then an hour passing drills and attacks from closed guard.

In lieu of rolling, I helped a long-time brown belt polish his self-defense techniques, focusing on scenarios where the attacker tries to apply a rear naked choke from behind, either using it as a strangle or to drag you down backwards. I am really enjoying the fact that I am getting to practice the self-defense material more often, without having to sacrifice regular hard sportive training. It's actually a pretty ideal form of active recovery, totally sport specific.

Aloha!

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2012.10.30PM; jiujitsu...rolled with a squirrel little blue belt for a spell as my warmup
I am getting to practice the self-defense material more often, without having to sacrifice regular hard sportive training. It's actually a pretty ideal form of active recovery, totally sport specific.

Aloha!
I like this. Rolling for warmup and rolling/drilling for cooldown & recovery.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:38 pm

johno wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:2012.10.30PM; jiujitsu...rolled with a squirrel little blue belt for a spell as my warmup
I am getting to practice the self-defense material more often, without having to sacrifice regular hard sportive training. It's actually a pretty ideal form of active recovery, totally sport specific.

Aloha!
I like this. Rolling for warmup and rolling/drilling for cooldown & recovery.

This points out why the either or debate is pointelss for all but the most focused high level competitors or focused professionals who have to limit injury risk in training.

For most martial artist it's both to one degree or another. You will have a glaring weakness if you do not have some sportive (be it competitive or just hard sparring) in your background and at least periodicly revisited. The more periodic becomes regular without overstepping ones individual level into higher injury probibility, the better you are going to be period.

Fatty's SD class out line is a great obvious template and cntains a few more less obvious templates to test many ideads regarding stratigy, tactics, techniques and principles.

We've been using boxing again of late for this reason.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks guys.

2012.11.01PM; jiujitsu...rolled no-gi for an hour, always playing the attacking half guard, alternating between a shallow foot-trap and a deep half.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:56 am

2012.11.02PM; jiujitsu...taught my Introduction to Jiu-Jitsu class, all female this time. Teaching women is different than teaching men, but I do my best.

We focused on an abduction type scenario where the attacker tries to grab a hold of the defender with the intent to move them.

Aloha!