xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Abandoned by Wolves

Re: xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Yeah. I think that's correct, I just dredged this out of an old workout log and didn't bother to go review the video. I should though, cause I think I will stick with this for a while. Right now I'm more into jiu-jitsu and outdoors activities than lifting. All this was done under the mango trees and there's nothing like the feeling working out outside on a sunny day.
I envy you that experience...especially in a Nebraska November with the prospect of winter getting closer everyday. Ah well, I'll grab whatever sunshine and fresh air that I can.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks man. By all means, do make the most of the outdoors where you live, its the source of...everything.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 am

2012.11.03AM; three quarters of an hour swimming off Kaimana beach with friends, just poking around all the reef. Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 am

2012.11.05PM; jiujitsu...drilled deep half transitions to the waiter sweep for half an hour as a warmup, focusing not just on swinging my legs back and forth but really crunching my legs up towards my head with a strong abdominal contraction at the end of the arc so I can scoop the trapped leg. I had old friends in town over the weekend so my body was aching today from all the sake, I needed to take time to loosen up my spine.

Afterward an hour of guard retention, leg lasso sweeps, and omoplata attacks drills at high speed, Finished up with 4 x 6 minute rounds, leading up to my final 6 minutes harai-goshi'ing the living fuck out of a brown belt who thought to bring it off a hiza-guruma set up. Brought it to the mat and buried him alive with a kimura. When time gave up after almost 30 minutes of continuous battles I had the paper cutter of justice closing the deal on him when the buzzer sounded.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 am

2012.11.06PM; jiujitsu..started off training with a rather spastic blue belt, just letting him do his thing and then trying to find a way out. He was doing all sorts of crazy attacks but sometimes its useful to just practice relaxing and working out of a situation. We rolled for about 20 minutes.

Next I spent a half an hour training self defense moves, focusing on attacks up against a wall whether the opponent is pressuring you with a chokehold, headlock, or grip on your clothing. I was reviewing it for a brown belt who is working towards his black belt soon.

After that we rolled for forty minutes at a moderate intensity and then I bounced out. If you notice, it's almost like a mini-training cycle which is an intriguing idea, rolling the session intensity from high, to low for the self defense training, to moderate for the final sparring block. Anyway, I'm hunting arms right now, the basic arm bar is my new shit.

Aloha!

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2012.11.06PM; jiujitsu..started off training with a rather spastic blue belt, just letting him do his thing and then trying to find a way out. He was doing all sorts of crazy attacks but sometimes its useful to just practice relaxing and working out of a situation. We rolled for about 20 minutes.

Next I spent a half an hour training self defense moves, focusing on attacks up against a wall whether the opponent is pressuring you with a chokehold, headlock, or grip on your clothing. I was reviewing it for a brown belt who is working towards his black belt soon.

After that we rolled for forty minutes at a moderate intensity and then I bounced out. If you notice, it's almost like a mini-training cycle which is an intriguing idea, rolling the session intensity from high, to low for the self defense training, to moderate for the final sparring block. Anyway, I'm hunting arms right now, the basic arm bar is my new shit.

Aloha!
That is an EXCELLENT template! I am quite pre-occupied with choking people as of late. As always I learn a ton from reading your log.
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:36 am

2012.11.10PM; spartakia...spent the day at Dillingham ranch up on the North Shore, riding and eating. In the afternoon I threw my rings over a branch of a sprawling Monkeypod tree and did the Spartan 300 - Intermediate Series.

Time was 19:30; now I'm off for prime rib and brandy.

Aloha!

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 am

I'm not normally jealous of where people live as it doesn't serve a purpose, but damn your making it hard with pictures like that Fats!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 am

But you live in London right?

zak-zombie
Senior Chief Cockjumper

Post by zak-zombie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 am

No, Northern England, coal mining, fishing and shipbuilding territory

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 am

Zak, you can do exactly what FC does where you live. The North East is a great place & I'm proud of it! Just your entry would read something like this:
2012.11.10PM; spartakia...spent the day at Billingham Ice Rink up on the North Shore, drinking and fighting. In the afternoon I threw my ring up over a bunch of a brawling Monkey-hangars and did the Blyth Spartans 300 - Interbreeding Series.

Time was 19:30; now I'm off for palmo and a prossie.

Way-aye!
Sorry for clogging up your log FC
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Haha, even better. I've actually been meaning to throw up this little bit of Hawaiian history, about a Lancashire man who was imprisoned by Kamehameha, became a Hawaiian warrior, helped conquer the Hawaiian Islands, married two princesses, and grandsired Queen Consort Emma. It's a story that is cinematic in scope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Young_of_Hawaii

John Young (c. 1742–1835) was a British subject who became an important military advisor to Kamehameha I during the formation of the Kingdom of Hawaii. He was left behind by Simon Metcalfe, captain of the American ship Eleanora, and along with a Welshmen Isaac Davis became a friend and advisor to Kamehameha. He brought knowledge of the western world, including naval and land battle strategies, to Kamehameha, and a strong voice on affairs of state for the Hawaiian Kingdom. He played a big role during Hawaii's first contacts with the European powers. He spent the rest of his life in Hawaiʻi. Between 1802-1812, John Young ruled as Royal Governor of Hawaii Island while King Kamehameha was away on other islands. He organized the construction of the fort at Honolulu Harbor. The Hawaiians gave him the name ʻOlohana based on Young's typical command "All hands".[1]

Beneath this stone are deposited
the remains of John Young
(of Lancashire, England)
The friend and companion-in-war of
Kamehameha.
who departed this life
17 December 1835,
in the 93rd year of his age
and the 46th of his residence
on the "Sandwich Islands"

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:38 am

2012.11.09PM; jiujitsu...this log is out of place, it is for Friday but I forgot to log it. Taught my hour of self defense jiujitsu, this time based on counters to standing headlocks. Aside from the basic scenarios, I tried to reduce the responses to some basic concepts that repeat throughout: stay calm, control the base, breathe, connect with the opponent, etc...I hope some of it sinking in.

Aloha!

2012.11.11PM; hiking...six miles in the Koʻolau Range. Aloha!

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

that's a cool story about the Lancashire guy. Could there be an unbroken strain of Lancashire Catch Wrestling in Hawaii then? You've surely got as legitimate a link to exploit as anything Matt Furey came up with. Good stuff, cheers for sharing that.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

I have not seen the ghost of Farmer Burns, yet.

2012.11.12PM; jiujitsu...Veterans' Day made most folks stay home with family and friends, but I was anxious to train after a couple of days off so I opened up the academy and had a few stalwarts in to train. Just light rolling, nothing special.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:37 pm

2012.11.16PM; jiu-jitsu...I've been scrambling around the lava fields of North Kona and South Kohala districts, photographing archaeological sites with the state's archaeologist: burials, caves, petroglyphs, temples, etc.

But no jiu-jitsu. So it was with great pleasure that I returned to the mat on Friday to teach my class on self defense jiujitsu. Today's lesson was on more of the classic grips.

This not my favorite part of the syllabus of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu because it can seem very "he does X and I do Y" but if you peel back this veneer, all the lessons and principles can be applied to sport or MMA as well and I try to direct my students attention to the larger principles of the art. The class is continuing to grow and people seem to appreciate this approach.

Aloha!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 pm

This not my favorite part of the syllabus of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu because it can seem very "he does X and I do Y" but if you peel back this veneer, all the lessons and principles can be applied to sport or MMA as well and I try to direct my students attention to the larger principles of the art. The class is continuing to grow and people seem to appreciate this approach.
Quite profound again my friend. Lots of the traditional or classic approach is if A does this, B does this. Then it stays in this configuration. To "peel back the veneer" is quite chunk of wisdom. There are jewels, layers and truths yet to be uncovered. How you train your discoveries is everything though. I am indebted to your observation and analysis.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks Tom!

2012.11.17PM; kettlebells...followed by an hour of soccer with my son and his grandfather, visiting from Sarajevo through the New Year.

1. 1KB Swing 3 x 10/10 @ 24 kg.
2. 1KB Clean & Press 5 x 1,2,3 @ 24 kg.
3. 2KB Jerk 3 x 1,2,3 @ 24 kg.
4. 1KB Snatch 2 x 10/10 @ 24 kg.

Time - 32:54

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:33 am

2012.11.19PM; jiujitsu...rolled with an old blue belt student for 45 minutes straight as my warm up. After two days away I was just happy to be on the mat.

Next up an hour of passing drills and a kimura to armbar combination attack from the closed guard. It consists of a strong kimura attack from closed guard, bucking your hips hard into him to create the reaction and then arching back into a hard angle for the finish, with your leg coiled over his upper back to preclude his posturing up. If he powers his arm out straight, pass the arm to the mat-side of your head and roll over his shoulder into a Vinny Magalhães-style rolling armbar. I actually use that armbar frequently so it was fun to review the 1, 2, 3 steps of it.

Here was his version against Igor Pokrajac, we scoop the leg more to roll them but whatever the moment dictates....

Finished with just a couple rounds of sparring with a big Marquesan from Nuku Hiva, and then I was out. Two hours straight.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:24 am

2012.11.20PM; jiu-jitsu...rolled for half an hour with a solid blue belt, letting him take the top and passing before starting to work the game. I caught him with a nice rolling armbar, but mostly we just exchanged positions.

I had intended to take the class afterward, but there were an odd number of students and so I bowed out so that everyone would have a partner. Another time. A nice thing about training 5 or so days a week is that I can fluctuate intensity over training sessions.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Soupbone

Post by Soupbone » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Awesome video. I can't imagine how it feels to have a black belt in jiujitsu from Relson Gracie. Simply awesome!
I just started a blog called The Happy Grappler. Check it out at http://happygrappler.blogspot.com

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Actually, it makes me feel like an idiot and fraud. But...that'll have to do, I guess. At least there is no excuse not to hustle.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Awesome vid.

Also, who is the bouncing lovely in your sig gif?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 pm

No idea, but I'd milk her like a cow.