xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: xx::xx::xx::IRON ROBE::xx::xx::xx

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

2012.12.06PM; jiu-jitsu...normal instructor's grandfather is passing away and he was with the family at the hospital. I stepped in and taught in his place, a simple series of attacks and positional moves from side control. In lieu of rolling I worked the heavy bag for rounds and then bounced; I just felt like hitting something today.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 am

2012.12.07PM; jiu-jitsu...taught a class on self defense techniques based on "rapid attack" striking attacks, condensing the classic instruction into a situation-based approach. I had a student who had posed a question about getting mobbed with strikes by a committed attacker after watching some news reports about "Black Friday" interpersonal violence, so we talked about the basic psychology of avoiding violence and factors like crowds, emotions, time of day, body language, and alcohol.

Specific attacks included clinching to ko-soto-gari, o-goshi, and tani-otoshi off common punching attacks. Next was some work on tawara-gaeshi and waki-otoshi, as a sort of combination of throws off of a huge haymaker charge, and also how to use yoko-geri (side kick) against a charge.

I know people are thinking that this is some syncretism, but this is truly Gracie Jiu-Jitsu as Grandmaster Hélio Gracie taught it sixty years ago: a flow of simple, efficient, and practical techniques drawn from pre-WWII judo against true to life attacks, nothing more. Strikes, throws, holds and locks all flowing one from the other. Finally, we talked about and practiced defenses against specialized charges like a front kick and a roundhouse kick. The common thread of the class was the sudden, committed striking attack.

At the end of class I rolled for 15 minutes and then bounced out.

Aloha!
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:52 pm

“Something my dad would say was that it’s not important to win, but it’s important to know how not to be defeated. The art of invincibility is the most important attribute in Jiu-Jitsu.” ~Rickson Gracie

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 am

2012.12.09PM; grounding...warmup was picking up leaves in the back yard. All lifts were done with one or two 24 kg kettlebells.

A1. Two Hand Clean & Press 5 x 5
A2. One Hand Swing 5 x 5/5

B1. Two Hand Jerk 5 x 5
B2. One Hand Snatch 5 x 5/5

Time - 22:02

...ended with an hour of taijiquan.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 am

2012.12.10PM; jiu-jitsu...an hour of sparring with a tough guy. Aloha!

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:43 am

Fat Cat wrote: I know people are thinking that this is some syncretism, but this is truly Gracie Jiu-Jitsu as Grandmaster Hélio Gracie taught it sixty years ago: a flow of simple, efficient, and practical techniques drawn from pre-WWII judo against true to life attacks, nothing more. Strikes, throws, holds and locks all flowing one from the other.

You have a gift for getting to the heart of such matters, FC.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks Lemon! You bring a lot to this little community.

2012.12.11PM; jiu-jitsu...did a quick round of rolling while people trickled in. Class was an hour of knee on belly drills and a couple of variations on the basic trap and roll upa escape, including if the guy is striking at you.

The professor took note of the predominantly white belt level of the class and kept it basic and self-defense oriented, but it was also fascinating to see how differently another black belt presented the same material I do, and I tried to make note of interesting points of commonality and difference.

After class a half an hour of light rolling and I bounced; I really couldn't have asked for a more pleasant training day. When I came out a cool, beautiful breeze was blowing across Honolulu Harbor and life felt very good indeed.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 am

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

2012.12.13PM; jiu-jitsu...was a small turnout so I just opened up the mat and hung some kid out to dry. He wanted to stand so I WWF'd him.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

2012.12.14PM; jiu-jitsu...taught the Friday self defense class, focusing on the four basic headlock escapes on the ground, developing a mental narrative or mind map of how the situation might arise, how to identify specific aspect of a headlock position, and then how to start applying counters.

An example, I clinch in a fight but I don't connect my hips well, and my opponent claps his arms around my head. His movement is so explosive, I lose my footing and he twists me down to the ground, landing on top of me with an impact. Relax. Breathe.

1. Even as we are falling, I can begin the first technique and create a frame with my forearms so that I can push his face away from me, shifting my hips out, and throwing my leg over his face for a head scissor or an arm bar.

2. If as I do this, he bears down on his headlock and I do everything the same and use his resistance to make his body into a counterweight. I create a frame, I get him to bear down on it, and then I move allowing him to fall into the emptiness I have created.

3. Under the above two options, I must create a frame with my arms, but often this is not possible. The opponent is canny enough to keep his chin down along his shoulder and I can't insert my frame, so I adapt to that by reaching around back, cupping his shoulder, and hooking my leg around his. This creates a prying movement that allows me to slip out from, and behind, the attacker, with him soundly hammerlocked.

4. In doing the move, the opponent may ball up as he retains the headlock, making it impossible for me to hook my leg around his own and effect the previous counter. In this case, I turn belly down and rock him backwards, reversing the position. As with many of the others, we then mount and arm lock to finish the fight.

I also quickly showed them the difference between true headlocks and head and arm holds (e.g., kesa-gatame), and just quickly demonstrated counters to the head and arm to sear into their mind the difference. I've seen beginners get bewildered by these differences but they are simple and obvious once you learn, and you won't be left wondering what to do once the distinctions have been made clear.

Finished with some light rolling for 20 minutes, mostly attacking arm bars from guard. He had a brand new gi that had such a thick collar it hurt my fingers to try and choke him, and he had one sore shoulder, so I just attacked the other arm over and over.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:28 pm

2012.12.15M one hour of Taijiquan in the morning, one hour of swimming in the afternoon with my son and father in law. Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 am

Last edited by Fat Cat on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 am

2012.12.16PM; yolo...

1. One Hand Swing 3 x 10/10 @ 24 kg
2. Two Hand Clean & Press 3 x 10/10 @ 2 x 24 kg
3. One Hand Jerk 3 x 10.10 @ 24 kg

Time - 19:53

...followed by swimming and barbecuing with family and friends.

Aloha!
Last edited by Fat Cat on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 am

2012.12.18PM; jiujitsu...just rolled with a big blue belt and a small brown belt for two hours, just enjoying ourselves rolling.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 pm

2012.12.19PM; jiu-jitsu...light rolling with a blue belt for a half an hour, mostly playing bottom half which is a position I can play comfortably at a very playful level.

Class was an hour of guard passing drills and submissions off knee on belly with the a gi-wrap baseball choke or step over choke combination.

After that a few more rounds of sparring, this time with the accent on rapid fire attacking.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 am

2012.12.20PM; jiu-jitsu...45 minutes of no-gi rolling, one continuous round. I subbed him 15 or 20 times, mostly with leg locks and guillotines. I am trying to really hunt for new techniques and positions that are not part of my normal repertoire like deep half, 50/50, etc. I left a crime scene in my wake.

Aloha!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:48 am

Fat Cat wrote:2012.12.07PM; jiu-jitsu...taught a class on self defense techniques based on "rapid attack" striking attacks, condensing the classic instruction into a situation-based approach. I had a student who had posed a question about getting mobbed with strikes by a committed attacker after watching some news reports about "Black Friday" interpersonal violence, so we talked about the basic psychology of avoiding violence and factors like crowds, emotions, time of day, body language, and alcohol.

Specific attacks included clinching to ko-soto-gari, o-goshi, and tani-otoshi off common punching attacks. Next was some work on tawara-gaeshi and waki-otoshi, as a sort of combination of throws off of a huge haymaker charge, and also how to use yoko-geri (side kick) against a charge.

I know people are thinking that this is some syncretism, but this is truly Gracie Jiu-Jitsu as Grandmaster Hélio Gracie taught it sixty years ago: a flow of simple, efficient, and practical techniques drawn from pre-WWII judo against true to life attacks, nothing more. Strikes, throws, holds and locks all flowing one from the other. Finally, we talked about and practiced defenses against specialized charges like a front kick and a roundhouse kick. The common thread of the class was the sudden, committed striking attack.

At the end of class I rolled for 15 minutes and then bounced out.

Aloha!

Sounds like a class I'd teach! :supz:

I do sometimes still use sidekicks in class, just sparringly. Some things from one's youth never leaves.

Good stuff! Your not just molding groundfighters but fighters. Good stuff!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Life loses its savor if you can't kick someone every now and again.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:02 pm

2012.12.21PM; jiu-jitsu...there was a block party down on the waterfront so turnout was poor, but I did get in my shipment of training knives, pistols, and batons for training the weapons portion of our syllabus so that was cool.

Hosted a big dinner party later on in the evening and was drunk-disarming the shit out of people dumb enough to pull a rubber gun on me.

Aloha!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 pm

2012.12.22AM; Shaf-san's "Buddhist Hell of Two Bells"...actually wasn't too bad, but hard on my hands with my old rough kettlebells and the sweat combining to tear up my hands. All with a pair of 16 kgs kettlebells except where noted.

1. Two Kettlebell Swings x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
2. Two Kettlebell Clean and Press x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
3. Two Kettlebell High Pulls x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
4. Two Kettlebell Jerks x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
5. Two Kettlebell Swings x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Time - 34:06

6. Two Kettlebell Farmer's Hold x 1:30 @ 2 x 24 kgs
7. Zhanzhuang x 5:00

Total Time - 42:00

Aloha!

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Did you do it circuit like or one exercise at a time?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 pm

Bobby, I did it as written, one exercise at a time, but honestly I like your idea better. I will try that next time I do this.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:33 pm

2012.12.2PM; needed some time for myself so I went for a long hike in the mountains, ended up being 11 or 12 miles. My house has become a 12 Days of Christmas circus of meat, wine, and women so at some point, a ninja needs some peace.

Aloha!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Fat Cat wrote:2012.12.2PM; needed some time for myself so I went for a long hike in the mountains, ended up being 11 or 12 miles. My house has become a 12 Days of Christmas circus of meat, wine, and women so at some point, a ninja needs some peace. Aloha!
Very Mas Oyama-like.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 am

We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaken spirit. -Mas Oyama