Too Dumb to Quit .

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

knuckles
Gunny

Too Dumb to Quit .

Post by knuckles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Ok ..yet another go .
Cliff Notes ..three abdominal surgeries in over the last 19 months ..last was umbilical hernia at about the first of the year or so. I have started and stopped training a few times over the last months..get started ..get sidetracked ..illness and other inane horseshit .

I have a killer cage and GHD from legend at home . I bought a cage thru EliteFTS when they had a sale recently and set up my fire dept ...No more missed workouts due to lack of proper equipment to train the way I want .

I work as a firefighter . I also bartend three nights a week at a strip club . I have had to experiment a great deal on how to get "meaningful" training in with "OK" recovery given the fucked up hours I have .I am also on the other side of 40.

Ok ..Weapon of choice is the ole standby ...5/3/1..BBB..Why ? because I understand it . It addresses where I am curently and where I would Like to go

Monday -squat
Tuesday-bench
Wednesday-dead
Friday-Milpress

so its wednesday - time to dead

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Too Dumb to Quit .

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I look forward to your progress. and 531bbb is a smart choice especially for people who already know too much.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

shadow33
Staff Sergeant

Post by shadow33 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:30 pm

I look forward to your log. I do have a question, though. Why don't you do it Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or another way to give you more than a couple of days between your squat and dead day? I know there is probably a scheduling reason, but I was curious.
Dan Martin wrote:Also, what's the rush? You took your sweet time getting where you're are now. It's going to take as long and probably longer to get where you need to be. Pack a lunch.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm

knuckles wrote: I work as a firefighter . I also bartend three nights a week at a strip club . I have had to experiment a great deal on how to get "meaningful" training in with "OK" recovery given the fucked up hours I have .I am also on the other side of 40.
Hey Bro! Those are some interesting recovery challenges.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:27 pm

The Mon,Tues,Wed,Thursday came about this way . The Bartending shifts are Thurs,Fri,and Sat evenings . I do not want to do any hard leg work on those days as the shifts run till six in the AM,That makes for a shitty night when you have destroyed yourself with deads that afternoon . I have learned to eat more while at work wich has helped a bit . It has also been a challenge to get more than 6 hours of sleep on those days .For some reason sleeping during the day for long periods just doesnt happen no matter how I do it ..ZMA ..etc..

I want To keep the Squats on Mondays ...cuz ITS THE KING OF THEM ALL blah
The only people that I would impress with my bench would possibly be a girl scout troop,So I am giving it some true attention and want to be fresh for them on Tues.

Im strongest in the deadlift ...It does suffer due to it being done so close to the squat day ,but not horribly and it progresses easily for me at this point ..That will change and then it will be addresed at some point

Day off ..Thursday nights a good night and being well rested pays dividends. Its me and a Barback and he sux so I carry the shift and we can get pounded pretty easily

Friday Milpress ..This is another excercise that I seem to do well with and progress comes easily when I put in the time . Friday at the club has another bartender and a barback so its pretty easy to coast

Sat same as Fri but way more busy ...I eat and consume protein shakes a couple times a shift .

Sunday is a wash .I am usally physically and mentally trashed .I eat what I want and am in bed by 9 pm to get ready to get HOOOGE monday .

makeing the investment and purchaseing a cage for the Fire dept has been key . I am the only one that uses it .

Thats that story .

I dont use a belt . I have been doing some German Volume training to get the reps .As I get more conditioned I will do the BBB closer to as written for the 5x10 section

I eat rotiiserie chicken and sweet potato's like they are the cure .

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 am

Picked up "Beyond 5/3/1 "...started using it and milpressed a couple hundred pounds today for the first time in a long time.
The BBB has always been my go to but, Im likeing this new template.Im far less sore . Kinda funny ...I usally worked in a few heavier singles into the standard workout anyway.

days off ..I work on pullups,dips, and neck harness ...some curls,Rubberband tricep work.Some farmer's .Gonna grab some of those Elite farmers handles and put a little more focuse there...ala Dan John.

Might just fuck around and get somewhere with all this.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Good to see you recovering and active again.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 pm

asistance work

barbell curls
band tricep pushdowns
dips
bodyweight rows with rings on the TAPS rig
4x

I aint pushing it hard here...bench and kroc rows "hard "in the am Wed.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 am

45 min walk up and down some nice hills nice pace

Bench beyond 5/3/1

my bench sucks balls ...and I train alone...TM is 225 you get the idea

going to rig some tow straps to my cage so I have a safety so I can push harder

This will get better I just bought into that whole "Don't train chest" Hint of pec ,horse shit for a very long time.

5x10 88s kroc style rows.....goiing to go watch some Doug Young youtube vids...to inspire

I do band assisted pullups for three inbetween all sets most days ..breaking out the DMSO for my elbows ...

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 pm

45 min walk...

Deadlift

worked up to 465 for 0ne...I haven't pulled in months and this made me feel pretty good to do this... no belt

dips in between sets

hanging leg raises 3x10

Had some old Police to listen to

some Slayer for the big pull of the day

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 am

wked up to 205 milpress

band assisted pullups
Landmine attachment barbell rear delt stuff

Torche "songs for singles'

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 am

hey up fella, for some reason I seem to remember you used to train with sandbags when you first posted on here - you did a workout called Maxwell's sandbag of woe?? I've run a search for it but I can't find it now - do you remember what I'm talking about? Apologies if I got the wrong person!
Just I'm limited to training on station and at home at the moment, (also a firefighter) and we have a good quality sandbag that I want to use more of. TIA.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah broheem ...I called it the sandbag of woe workout and that is all Maxwells stuff...its in my "Road to the 106rs" training log...Ill write it down later if you don't search it before I get back . As I get more conditioned ..I wouldn't mind throwing in some of this again ..maybe on deloads and such.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:23 pm

awesome - found it, thanks very much for that... There's some good training in that log.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 pm

odin wrote:awesome - found it, thanks very much for that... There's some good training in that log.
Yes there is.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Glad you guys got something out of it.I dug it too. I want to see where I can go with a barbell.Im not getting any younger and the time is now ...I want to bench 4 ,squat 5,pull 6 and press 275..this will take sometime to be sure...when I do that , I will see about all the other stuff that I used to do .

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 pm

squat worked up to 375 for a single...little high.. wont add weight till I get the depth

band assisted pullups inbetween sets...till my elbows started to ache so backed out of those and did some bodyweight rows on the TAPS rig

this is only my second week with training 4 days and getting in 4-5 conditioning walks .I continue to ramp up.will include some Abs work on my assistance work tomorrow.

I feel pretty good about the program . I feel pretty good about my progress . Im working hard .Changeing .

"16"...Drop out...

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Bench ...worked up to 275 for a single

band work
rows with 88s 5x10

this felt ...kinda "Easy"...wich felt good ...

farted around with some farmers...

Its not "Can I bench 400?"...its "When"

another week and I up the weight ...as written

Deftones-Around The Fur-...Wendlers Locust Whip aint fuckin bad ...if ya like sludge. I like sludge.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:31 pm

had a summer cold the last few days ...fucking miserable.no training lots of sleeping going to do something lite ....

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:27 pm

milpressed 215 and just missed 225

squated 405 yesterday

benched 275...did a negative with 315...just for feel

wanna pull 5 tomorrow ...

4th week working four days a week...one of wich was off with upper respitory infection...Ill call this nice progress

some Jane's Addiction....I like this beyond 5/3/1..alot.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 pm

whelp ...just pulled 500..there was some more there...Im surprised because I was kinda talking shit at being able to pull it off so soon.

This is where I was before I almost died had two more surgeries got addicted to pain killers ,went back to the worst version of myself and haveing been in the hospital for an overdose ect ect two fuckinn years of self abuse ,depression and feeling fucking sorry for myself....Im fucking CLEAN I feel great and motherfuckers that felt good.

this will be the only place I post this or even mention it. I will not post it on FB or tell my buds who train ..because really, who gives a shit.They dont know how bad it really was. .now ..next week > 5 fuckin 10.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 am

squat -worked up to 405 for a double
down sets 5x5-315
bought some of the Elite Heavy knee sleeve's and elbow sleeve'sand krait wrist wraps...left elbow sux and for some reason my left wrist breaks and gets under the weight all fuckin goofy ...its doesnt anymore with the left wrist wrap.The knee sleeve's really just keep the knees warm ...oh, this is all PR for me. Eat sleep train hard ...buy new clothes ...I* dont give a shit who you are ,broads you work with roll up and tell you how good you look and start squeezing your arms and tarps and grab your cock ..its pretty ohhhh kay.Not why I do it entirely...but its nice...funny only dudes ever ask ya ...What ya bench?

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 am

last week deads ...didntn have 500 didn't have 495....I was smoked ..so I took off a couple days.....ate some fuckin Viking stew (ala...the power midget.ps Its good) rested and today looked like this
AM
60 elbow xvest 2ish mile walk

PM

Worked up to a 515 PR pull
down sets at 80% for 3s
Band face pulls and dips

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 am

Nice work on the PR!

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 am

Thanks bud....I love the dead .The bench .my bicep tendon elbow and wrist (left) leaves me cradleing it and rocking back and forth in pain after every session for about 45 mins ..Ibuprofin and DMSO do little for it..cutting back on assistance pull ups ...I hate the bench..I will research it study it ...get a fugging coach ..until I do it right