Base

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

odin
Sgt. Major

Base

Post by odin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 am

thought I'd start a new log. As the title suggest, I have no competition, no specific event and no definite goals for the summer/monsoon season. So I thought I'd try and put the emphasis back on having some fun in training. The main elements for the past few weeks have been some bouldering, some basic gymnastic skills and I've even debated going for a run outside once or twice. Been doing some yoga daily as well... This phase will last at least until late August, when I need to decide whether to go for another PL comp but I'll see where it takes me.

Past few days:

8/07

1. yoga - some vyayam style exercises, then corpse pose, then the pranayama sequence Xian posted

2. JM warm up

3. Power clean - doubles up to 85kg

4. Handstands against wall with muscle ups on bars superset

5. L-sit into frog stand on bars

6. ring chins & ring dips - 3 sets

Not paying attention to sets and reps, just looking to practice and improve the movement. Muscle ups are a novelty, but actually quite easy once you crack the technique.

09/07

1. yoga - sun salutations, some floor based asana then the pranayama sequence

2. FSQ - doubles up to 125kg

3. Handstands against wall (aim is to get a freestanding one and thena freestanding HSPU)

4. Front and back levers with some skin the cats for about 15 mins.

5. Pistols - 4 sets of 5/5

6. jumps - various

10/07

1. yoga - standing sequence then pranayama

2. Jerks - triples up to 70kg (just working technique and keeping my hand in with these BB exercises)

3. Handstand against wall and muscle ups

4. Planche progression on parallettes - working on the tuck planche static hold

5. ring work - flyes and reverse flyes

11/07

1. yoga - standing sequence then pranayama

2. JM warm up then a met-con workout:

done circuit style:
-jump rope x 100, 120, 140, 160, 180, 200 reps
-KB swings - 20kg x 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 reps
-wall ball - 5kg x same reps
-Powerbag shouldering - 25kg x same reps

3. stretch and foam roll

yeah, it's all a little @-fittish, but I'm not puking and I have some general trends in the program. Was hoping to boulder indoors today, but got a rare bit of sunshine so may fuck it off in favour of a run outside.
Last edited by odin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Play

Post by Bobby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am

Ah yes,the sun doesn`t like showing itself here in northern europe,does it?
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am

it's particularly shite this year! If I didn't have parents to consider I would seriously look at moving my family somewhere sunnier. Whereabouts are you?

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 am

Around 5o kilometers north of Uppsala,Sweden.June was a bad,bad month.Rained all the time.
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 am

Ha! - not at your bad summer, that sucks - but I had an argument with the wife last night specifically about whether Sweden got better weather, (she had suggested Sweden as a place to move to to escape the rain... she's an idiot). Victory for me.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm

If it rains in the british isles it usually ends up over Sweden.
"being a pussy".

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 pm

thanks for this info - always good to win an argument!

Today's training:

1. yoga - vyayam type exercises:
-nauli to start
-crocodile pose, seated diaphragmatic breathing then tadasana to calm the breath a bit
-sun salutations a&b x 3 each
-slow, flat footed squat with forward bend on return, (synching breath) x 20
-slow Dands x 10
-a kneeling exercise I got from a yoga teacher, hard to explain but basically sit on your knees on the outbreath and kneel up on the inhale
-spinal stretch -similar to above but arching your back in a kneeling position
-cat stretch - synching inhale and exhale to movement
-roll into bridge sequence - a few reps and then a static hold
-plough sequence - varying between dynamic and static
-table top - same
-forward bend - static stretch for 10 breaths
-headstand - same
-corpse

then the pranayama sequence... all done in abuot 40 mins

2. Bodyweight stuff:
-JM warm up
-handstand practice - 10:00 got a few freestanding ones, but not consistently
-L-sit into frog stand on bars - 10:00 practice until abs gave up

circuit x 3
-Manual GH Raise x 5 (assisted)
-pistols x 5/5
-Handstand Leg Raises x 5

This was quite hard in parts.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 pm

13/07

1. yoga: JM then pranayama

14/07

1. yoga: vyayam exercises then pranayama

2. Power cleans - 60kg x 3 x 1, 70, 80, 90kg x 1

3. Handstand practice - got a few freestanding handstands, then worked pressing up from a headstand, freestanding.

4. Muscle ups on bar - about 8 doubles

5. L-sit-dip-tuck sit on rings - 5 sets of 3

6. ring chins - 4 x 5

If time was never an issue, a hatha yoga+pranayama practice would be my main preference for internal type training activities. The physical health benefits aside, it gives a pronounced but hard to define buzz for almost the entire day. The one turn off with it though, (for me) is some aspects of the culture surrounding it. I'm not referring to the fact it stems from Hinduism, I'm more aiming this at the plethora of bullshit that is written about the various rules, practices and rituals that people attach to it. The diet nazi's are probably the chief offenders in this. The foundational yoga texts (the Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali's Yoga Sutra's) mention hardly anything about food intake, other than that it should be moderate, ("yoga is not his who too much fasts, or too much feasts...") yet there are an awful lot of modern yogi's who seem to think you are destined for a fiery afterlife if you don't follow a vegetarian diet. Similar zealousness can be found around many other aspects of life which are highly individual and barely relevant to yoga practice, (imo).

I'm not anti-spirituality, or completely cynical about the more esoteric aims of yoga, but seriously some of the teachers and experts around the interwebz need to stop being so fucking serious, read some Douglas Harding and just enjoy playing with their practice a bit more.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Nice post, odin!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:17 am

I like the title, great start just in that. :)

Hope the baby is doing well. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:15 am

Hi, thanks! Yes he's doing great thanks - turned 2 last month and getting more entertaining by the day. My only worry is that he seems to have a love for running - he literally never walks anywhere, always runs. I keep telling him to save the endurance stuff for when he's in his 40's and just hammer the power sports until then but I think it's lost in translation.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 am

I like what you're doing. It looks too intelligent to be crossfittish, don't worry about that.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 pm

ha ha, cheers mate! I'll try and keep it that way, if I ever mention pukie or dedicate my workouts to a fallen soldier feel free to punch me.

15/07

1. yoga: standing sequence (may list it later) then pranayama

2. Front Squat - 5's up to 100kg, focusing on form

3. Handstand practice - 10 mins.... getting better, slowly

4. Pistols - 5 sets of 5/5 superset with above

5. Levers on rings - do the tuck variants, then some slow skin the cats to try and build up to it - 15 mins

6. rope chins - a few sets of 5 or so - really hard on the grip, good climbing or judo exercise I reckon.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:33 pm

towel and rope chins are awesome. like what you're doing here. smart work with your background stress level.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:34 pm

yeah, I was surprised how tough they were. Thanks for reading...

16/07

1. yoga - a different standing series to above then pranayama. Regardless of the sequence, I always try to get in the warrior sequence, bridge, shoulder stand and headstand. Asides any other benefits, I enjoy these most.

2. BTN Jerks - singles up to 95kg.... quite easy.

3. Handstands - 10:00... more improvements. I need to define what I am wanting in these, so I can at least get a fleeting feeling of accomplishment here and there.

4. L-sits into frog stands - 10:00

5. ring push ups - 5 sets

6. Ring rows - 5 sets

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:00 pm

How`s the monsoon?
"being a pussy".

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 am

No let up unfortunately. It's literally the worst summer I can remember. They reckon the gulf stream is shifting though, which may be better for us, not sure how it will effect you though. I had plans for getting up a few mountains but have thus far done nothing. Had one day when it was good enough to and the bloody cam-belt on my car snapped en route to the Lake District so perhaps I'm destined not to get anywhere! The Olympics will be interesting anyway - beach volleyball in long sleeves is going to be a particularly pointless spectacle!

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm

No rain yet,and the time is 18.17!
"being a pussy".

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Impressive! It's almost sunny here too. Things are def looking up.

17/07 - rest

1. yoga - very easy practice then the pranayama sequence

nothing more.

18/07

1. yoga - vyayam exercises then pranayama. Note I always spend 5 mins in corpse position between the asana and pranayama. The texts suggest longer but I strongly suspect the writers of the texts didn't have kids of get left job lists by their wives.

2. walk - usual 3 mile route with the toddler prowler. Or push-chair as its more commonly known.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 pm

19/07

1. yoga
-sun salutations a&b x 3 each
-Bethaks x 30
-dands x 15
-some sitting spinal wave series that I've picked up - one is used in the 5 Tibetans, one is a kundalini exercise and the other is some other yogic warm up thing.
-bridge sequence
-leg raises as per 5 tibetans
-plough sequence
-table top
-headstand
-corpse

then pranayama....

2. bouldering - 2 hours indoors. Good stuff. Getting back into it.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:11 am

20/07

1. yoga - sequence 1, pranayama

2. Power snatches - 40kg x 3x3, 50kg x 3x3, 55kg x 1 x 3

3. Handstand practice - 15:00

4. Muscle up on bars practice - 15:00 supersetted with above

5. Ring dips - 4 sets

6. Ring chins - 3 sets

7. hollow position holds - superset throughout above

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 am

21/07

1. yoga - standing sequence,pranayama

2. JM warm up

2. Zercher squats - 5's up to 100kg

3. handstands

4. weighted pistols - 5kg x 4 x 5/5 (superset through session)

5. levers practice

6. skin the cats

7. weighted split squats - 20kg vest x 2 x 10/10

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:08 pm

22/07

1. yoga - sun salutations then some floor asana, then pranayama & meditation

2. full JM routine

3. handstand practice

4. some rope climbing

5. yoga flow type stuff, (prasara-ey stuff) for 15 mins or so

I have a few aches in my joints, so may need to add a little structure to the play to ward off injuries. I'm thinking a skill day, a conditioning day, and a yoga/flexibility/low intensity skill day. I'll be adding in bouldering and walking on top of that.

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 am

22/07

1. mobility routine and breathing med.

2. walk - around 5 miles throughout day

23/07

1. yoga - the 'vyayam' exercises listed above, then pranayama

2. trail run - 30 mins. First time in a while... Hard!

Today is day 33 of doing the pranayama sequence Xian posted a while back. Some observations:

-I've missed around 3 or 4 days during this period, which equates to about 90% compliance. This is a good sign that it is obviously practical and enjoyable enough not to come up with excuses to miss it out.

-I'd call this an energising practice; you get a good buzzed up feeling afterwards similar to the runner's high. There is much less of a relaxation component though, and not really any of the psychological insight stuff that may go with a mindfulness of breathing type practice. Horses for courses I guess.

-in terms of time commitment, I'm normally done in about 45 mins, with a 20 minute asana or similar warm up to start. If time is very short I can skip this part or break it up or something, so there are no issues there.

-technically, the exercises are all easy, and learnable from youtube, (kapalbhati, bhastrika, nadi shodana).

-breath holding with eyes shut is weird. I can't describe the effect very well, other than 'deep'...

-sounds a bit wet, but the exercises actually require a bit of energy. If you get out of bed having had a shitty night sleep, feel fuzzy headed or generally can't be arsed then they are as appealing as any other physical workout: not very.

-I don't buy into all the precautions and scare mongering that goes with pranayama, but some stuff like doing it early in the morning on an empty stomach seems to make sense. Today is a genuinely hot day (at fucking last) and I am definitely glad I got up at 6 am to get these done, because I think I'd feel pretty faint trying them now.

-A couple of minor stressful events have cropped up since doing this, and I've noted that I really didn't give a fuck at all. I can't prove a causal link between this and the pranayama, but it's worth noting if stress-relief or anxiety-relief is a motivation... and lets face it, it's probably the most practical thing this stuff can do for us.

To be a pretentious twat for a moment and talk underpinning philosophy, I am more of the 'nothing to get, no-one to get it' school of thought, so these practices may just be a temporary diversion for me. They seem a bit bound up in chasing some kind of altered state of bliss, which I can't help speculating would feel just like your previous state after a while. Besides which, I think if you do a few practical things to ensure a decent quality of life and then just pay attention to the fucking thing then that is more than enough.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Hope that genuine hot day arives in the shower I like to call Sweden!
"being a pussy".